Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Likely unique Walking Liberty Half Plaster in upcoming StacksBowers Auction

2»

Comments

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! Super cool, thanks for sharing.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 2:48PM

Although broken in 3 pieces decades ago, the negative plaster for the Oklahoma Run by Laura Fraser produced the amazing positive plaster which survived intact!

On the back of the negative plaster was written:

1st Mold
    May 1 56
    Oklahoma Run

On the edge of the positive plaster was written:

Oklahoma Run
    LGF
    (Wagon)

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 3:06PM

This must go to D Carr for coining.

The artistry is amazing.

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

The artistry is amazing.

Chris- the layering of the horses giving it a 3D look is just amazing. It’s more than a high relief sculpter, in person it looks 3D.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 4:05AM

@7Jaguars said:

@Byers said:
    A likely unique plaster is crossing the auction block. A fascinating part of the coin design process and pedigreed to the designer of this coin. ( not mine)

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-18C1WH/plaster-of-adolph-alexander-weinmans-second-1916-walking-liberty-half-dollar-obverse-design-cf-judd-1992-pollock-2053-and-judd-1993-

Calling Dan Carr - can you please "adapt" this design Sir?

@dcarr (fixed it for you.)

I really like that "Oklahoma Run" plaster mold it would make a nice medal addition to my other high relief Oklahoma Land Run medal.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@Byers said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

The artistry is amazing.

Chris- the layering of the horses giving it a 3D look is just amazing. It’s more than a high relief sculpter, in person it looks 3D.

Hi Chris-

I sold the Oklahoma plaster to Marc Crane of Marc One Numismatics for $10k. I don’t know if it was for a customer, or to display in his store, or to strike medals with Dan Carr.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 11:03AM

@Byers said:

@Byers said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

The artistry is amazing.

Hi Chris-

I sold the Oklahoma plaster to Marc Crane of Marc One Numismatics for $10k. I don’t know if it was for a customer, or to display in his store, or to strike medals with Dan Carr.

Mike, you should hook up a meeting between those two.

D Carr should offer the owner at least a One Ounce Gold Coin of this design. Perhaps more.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 10:08AM

Chris- great idea!

They know eachother and have done business together.

• Options

Bid on the Walking Liberty Half Plaster with 1 day to go is $10,800. ( including BP)

• Options

• Options

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    I think that this Nickel is the only OTHER know De Francisci plaster, splasher, electrotrial or bronze cast of any U.S. denomination in private hands.

Jefferson Nickel Die Trial
    Reverse Electrotrial
    by Anthony De Francisci
    Judd #JC1938-1 PCGS MS 62 UNIQUE

I see full steps. Great informative, historical, thread. Thanks.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Byers said:
    I think that this Nickel is the only OTHER know De Francisci plaster, splasher, electrotrial or bronze cast of any U.S. denomination in private hands.

Reverse Electrotrial
    by Anthony De Francisci

Yes, the thread turned out to be very informative with alot of participation!

Due to the galvano Buffalo Nickel reverse bringing $180k yesterday, I have had 2 good customers ask for my very best price on the De Francisci Jefferson Nickel. It can’t
    be a coincidence.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

The artistry is amazing.

The medal itself comes up for sale on ebay a couple times a year, if you are interested. It’s a nice piece struck in the 3 inch size. Examples can be had for less than $150 due to relatively low demand vs the supply, unlike many other LGF medals which can run into 4 figures.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

The artistry is amazing.

The medal itself comes up for sale on ebay a couple times a year, if you are interested. It’s a nice piece struck in the 3 inch size. Examples can be had for less than $150 due to relatively low demand vs the supply, unlike many other LGF medals which can run into 4 figures.

Yes, some of hers are 4 figures.

A couple of days ago one of her medals sold for $7800 in Stacks Bowers:

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Byers said:

Reverse Electrotrial
    by Anthony De Francisci

Due to the galvano Buffalo Nickel reverse bringing $180k yesterday, I have had 2 good customers ask for my very best price on the De Francisci Jefferson Nickel. It can’t
    be a coincidence.

Are you thinking of selling?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@Byers said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Byers said:

Reverse Electrotrial
    by Anthony De Francisci

be a coincidence.

Are you thinking of selling?

I sent you a message.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2024 3:01PM

Interesting die trial selling today in SB. No it’s not mine. Pedigree is Brian Hendelson.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@7Jaguars said:

@Byers said:
    A likely unique plaster is crossing the auction block. A fascinating part of the coin design process and pedigreed to the designer of this coin. ( not mine)

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-18C1WH/plaster-of-adolph-alexander-weinmans-second-1916-walking-liberty-half-dollar-obverse-design-cf-judd-1992-pollock-2053-and-judd-1993-

Calling Dan Carr - can you please "adapt" this design Sir?

If the new buyer is willing to work with me on it, I could potentially make a die or dies from that plaster.

Hope it works out!

Would be great to see it realized!

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 8:06PM

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

What do we actually know about the provenance?

The lot description doesn't mention any provenance. I hope some information surfaces on this.

• Options

.> @Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

The lot description doesn't mention any provenance. I hope some information surfaces on this.

Occasionally, some information is withheld for a variety of reasons.

• Options

@Byers said:

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

Of course, one of the qualities of numismatics is the provenance of some great rarities are still unknown today, like the 1913 Liberty Nickels.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

Of course, one of the qualities of numismatics is the provenance of some great rarities are still unknown today, like the 1913 Liberty Nickels.

Exactly my point!

• Options

This galvano of a privately issued medal was interesting due to the provenance and subject matter. It depicts a lady seated at a lathe measuring a die:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file