I know California does for one.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

NY does, including bullion under $1000

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:

Only if its under $2,000. Anything over that amount is free of sales tax.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in Illinois there is no sales tax on coins, bullion or currency but that still doesn't stop some places like antique malls from trying to charge it. Of course, we have a resale number so we wouldn't have to pay regardless, but on the rare occasions when I buy anything numismatic at such a place, I usually hear something to the effect of "anything under our roof is considered antiques and is therefore taxable". Translation...We pocket the "tax" collected on coins/currency/bullion.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:
    Handy reference guide courtesy of HA

https://www.ha.com/information/state-sales-tax-info.s

I wish everyone at E-bay would read that link!

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Here in Illinois there is no sales tax on coins, bullion or currency but that still doesn't stop some places like antique malls from trying to charge it. Of course, we have a resale number so we wouldn't have to pay regardless, but on the rare occasions when I buy anything numismatic at such a place, I usually hear something to the effect of "anything under our roof is considered antiques and is therefore taxable". Translation...We pocket the "tax" collected on coins/currency/bullion.

There is a LCS where I live here in Texas that tries the same thing for coins. They argued with me until I told them that I was just going to buy from their eBay listing then all of a sudden remembered they were making a mistake on taxes.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorado does unless the item has precious metal content.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

You might find the Ill Dept of Revenue interested in a tip. https://tax.illinois.gov/programs/fraud/report-tax-fraud.html - they might even pay a finder's fee. 10% of the tax not remitted is customary.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:
    I knew a few coin dealers that didn't charge you sales tax if they knew you, you paid in cash, and you didn't ask for a receipt. :o

How did they get permission from the state tax bureau? >:) 😈

There are two ways.

1. You take the price paid, back out the tax, and remit it. $1100 less 8.25% means a sale recorded on the books as $1,016.17 and tax of $83.83.
    2. You lie on your sales tax return and hope you don't get caught.
    -----Burton
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay has been hitting me with taxes recently, even though I’m a Texas resident. Are the sellers now required to collect taxes on eBay sales if their home date charges? Tried to find out what’s up by contacting eBay, unsuccessfully. Something new is afoot.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    eBay has been hitting me with taxes recently, even though I’m a Texas resident. Are the sellers now required to collect taxes on eBay sales if their home date charges? Tried to find out what’s up by contacting eBay, unsuccessfully. Something new is afoot.

If you're a TX resident then there should be no sales tax on coins, but on paper money and most other stuff, yes.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

I won a lot today and there are 138$ in taxes added to my lot... I contact the seller... no response.
    It is world gold on ebay...
    I am in Texas

• Options

They did this to me in Florida a couple years ago. Constant battle with them. I finally stopped buying through them. At some point it was fixed.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Too many!

• Options
    ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Also in Colorado, cities can charge sales tax on coins and bullion even when the State does not. :(

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was just 1 state, it would be 1 too many.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

One can get their sales tax back by calling eBay and telling them that your items were taxed inappropriately. They will refund the tax to your Paypal account.

Some FL dealers still charge sales tax on occasion. I was hoping a class action suit against eBay would put an end to this ripoff.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@oldabeintx said:

Sellers don't collect tax. Ebay collects it.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    I won a lot today and there are 138$ in taxes added to my lot... I contact the seller... no response.
    I am in Texas

The dealer is going to tell you it's not him but Ebay
    In that case tell him to void the sale until HE gets it right with Ebay

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

• Options

I've posted on this before, Sales Tax is freakishly complex. There are over 10,000 taxing districts in the US.

There are a couple of companies that make their living with software that determines whether tax should be collected and what amount. But at the end of the day, the software isn't magic. It depends on the description and category the item for sale is listed under.

If you list those gold coins as both coins and collectibles, in Texas one is taxable, the other isn't. How is the software to know? For that matter, how would a seller in, say Oklahoma, be knowledgeable enough about Texas law to provide guidance to the software????

Software like this is written under an 80-20 or 90-10 rule - if you get 80% right, you manually fix the other 20%.

-----Burton
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spoke to an eBay agent regarding their charging taxes on numismatic items shipped to Texas. I believe they will refund the taxes on my recent purchases but my greater concern is that they fix their process going forward. Assuming I’m not alone, a one-off, If they don’t it will harm sellers as buyers in Texas will price accordingly or not buy. I’ve put a hiatus on big ticket items.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

NM requires sales tax on coins (and pretty much everything besides food). I don’t know if there are exemptions for bullion or certain values (doubt it, though)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sales tax on coins and bullion in Nebraska. Another bill just passed to drop capital gains tax on same. Grassroots governing.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GAC said:

@pocketpiececommems said:

Only if its under $2,000. Anything over that amount is free of sales tax.

Welcome, first off. That seems to be an unfair tax on the poor, doesn't it ?
    Then again, it is called " The Hobby of Kings." :blush:

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 9:26PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    It happened to me before ebay fixed it, the dealer told me that he wasn't charging the tax ebay was and I should contact them to get it fixed. I told him YOU contact them and get it fixed otherwise cancal the deal. He didn't, I canceled and moved on.
    The end
    :)

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    It happened to me before ebay fixed it, the dealer told me that he wasn't charging the tax ebay was and I should contact them to get it fixed. I told him YOU contact them and get it fixed otherwise cancal the deal. He didn't, I canceled and moved on.
    The end

Unfair to the seller,,,,,,,, nothing he could have done about the tax,,,,,,, eBay would have to fix it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2024 10:41PM

@GRANDAM said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    The end

Unfair to the seller,,,,,,,, nothing he could have done about the tax,,,,,,, eBay would have to fix it.

I agree, but it should not be the problem for buyer, the seller would have more of a chance to get it fixed

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    The end

It's funny because dealers do NOT charge the sales tax and also can't be expected to know the rules in 10,000 different taxing jurisdictions as well as hundreds of foreign duties and taxes.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    The end

I agree, but it should not be the problem for buyer, the seller would have more of a chance to get it fixed

It is the problem of ebay and the buyer. The sales tax is levied by ebay and based on the buyer's location.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@Relaxn said:
    I am in Texas

That's funny.

Why is that funny?
    The end

It is the problem of ebay and the buyer. The sales tax is levied by ebay and based on the buyer's location.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to the buyer to just cancel a sale rather than going through the aggravation of dealing with the eBay bureaucracy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 5:32AM

@jmlanzaf said:

The tax is levied by the buyer's jurisdiction (location).

It is collected and remitted to the taxing authority by eBay based on the buyer's jurisdiction (location).

It would be illegal for eBay to collect a tax and not remit it.

If the tax is improperly collected and remitted, then eBay has to be the one to fix it.

(Well technically, eBay could allow the buyer to receive the refund of the improperly collected and remitted tax, but in many jurisdictions that requires a NOTARIZED form for each occurrence - it's far easier for eBay to make the correction to the buyer and adjust their next tax filing.)

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file