Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-Called Dollar Eye Candy - Great Photos Thread!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2024 5:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a thread for So-Called Dollars with Great Photos!

Post any so-called dollars here!

Here's a nice looking Wilson Dollar by George Thomas Morgan. Wonderful photos courtesy of @PhilArnold!

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 6:18AM

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’Here's a nice looking Wilson Dollar by George Thomas Morgan.’’

A JHF coin actually that closes in about 4 hours today in the grade of 63. Phil did do a nice job with that pic.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites.
    (Not really a "dollar" yet kind of close enough?)

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 5:20PM

@wondercoin said:

A JHF coin actually that closes in about 4 hours today in the grade of 63. Phil did do a nice job with that pic.

Wondercoin

Nice to know this is a JHF coin! It's really a very attractive looking piece.

Were you involved with this coin, buying, selling, or enjoying?

• Options

@Kurisu said:

The HK-155 George T. Morgan piece is one of my favorites! and part of what got me into collecting So-Called Dollars!

Great to see @SoCalledGuy in action with his great numismatic contributions to the hobby!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 5:34PM
  • Options

@braddick said:
    I am looking forward to Maywood's examples.

Me too! Here's a callout to @Maywood!

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 6:19PM

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 6:22PM

@johnny010 said:

Amazing!!! Any additional thoughts on this @CaptHenway?

Here's the TrueView!

Ref: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/47079312

It's interesting it has a Kenney number! Is that a reference to Richard David Dombroff Kenney's So-Called Dollar guide mentioned here?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12683064/#Comment_12683064

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 6:32PM

@Zoins believe you are correct from my research.

Here is the casting housed at the ANS in NYC. Scott Miller located it for me after much research. Unfortunately the cast was not documented properly. For more information I would need to fly there and look through the records.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 6:57PM

@johnny010 said:

Here is the casting housed at the ANS in NYC. Scott Miller located it for me after much research. Unfortunately the cast was not documented properly. For more information I would need to fly there and look through the records.

Amazing! The ANS is a treasure. Kudos to Scott Miller for helping out!

Callout to @JesseKraft, our resident ANS member!

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 7:20PM

Here's a nice excerpt from Tom's article on Kenney-13:

@CaptHenway said:
    The piece apparently remained unknown to the numismatic world until February 2016, when a man walked into a coin shop in the Atlanta area with seven examples of what later turned out to be Kenney-13, struck in gold.

The store owner showed one to former ANA Governor Bill Fivaz, who sent pictures of it to authors and U.S. coinage experts Q. David Bowers, Kenneth E. Bressett and myself. None of us were familiar with the piece, so I shared the photos with noted numismatist David T. Alexander. He suggested looking in Kenney’s works, where I found it thanks to the new digital archives of The Numismatist.

A longer excerpt is available on E-Sylum here:

https://www.coinbooks.org/v20/club_nbs_esylum_v20n10.html#article28

Also found your original thread on this here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1093365/unofficial-coins-of-the-world-kenney-13

Of course, at $100 face value, it's really a So-Called Union, not a So-Called Dollar ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Here's the GC link now that it's closed. Nice price at $1,575.00.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1562393/

• Options

Great pieces everyone! It's great to see all these marvelous designs and pieces of history!

• Options
    edited April 15, 2024 3:32AM

@Zoins said:

» show previous quotes

Here's the GC link now that it's closed. Nice price at $1,575.00.

Zoins: I didn’t want to say too much about the coin while it was in the last day of the GC auction. But, it really was a lovely coin and congratulations to the buyer who competed with 14 total bidders for the coin and won it!

At his passing, I believe JHF had at least (4) very special 1920 Wilson Silver (So called) Dollars, consisting of 2- 65’s, a 64 and the 63 that appeared on G.C last night. It might have easily been a 63+ or higher quality coin as a large % of JHF coins are being sold in their original holders without being submitted for upgrade. Not every single coin obviously, but a decent % of them. And, collectors are appreciating this reality - ex. Last night at GC a beautiful original 1947-S MacArthur (JHF) in 65 sold for more money than the most recent 66+ auction specimen!

Side note- Too bad CAC doesn’t sticker USPI coins. Makes no sense at all actually.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Beautiful So-Called Dollars!

For some more beautiful pieces, see the Keets Collection of So-Called Dollars here:

https://privatemintnews.com/articles/so-called-dollars_the-keets-collection/

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Beautiful So-Called Dollars!

For some more beautiful pieces, see the Keets Collection of So-Called Dollars here:

https://privatemintnews.com/articles/so-called-dollars_the-keets-collection/

Informative article on privatemintnews!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Here's my WWII Victory Medal from the Keets Collection, along with a US Mint reissue from CoinFacts. I have reissue as well but haven't sent it in for grading yet.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

Great piece @Goldminers! I love the toning and look on that one!

• Options
    PhilArnoldPhilArnold Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Here’s a cool SCD I picked up at the last Long Beach Expo I was at last June.

Phil Arnold
    Director of Photography, GreatCollections
    greatcollections.com

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one I had the privilege to work with, image, and animate within the last couple of years.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

I missed this update. Could you please email me copies of the pictures of the castings, any information as to size, composition, etc., and how the ANS had them listed?

THanks,

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@johnny010 said:

Amazing! The ANS is a treasure. Kudos to Scott Miller for helping out!

Callout to @JesseKraft, our resident ANS member!

I missed this update. Could you please email me copies of the pictures of the castings, any information as to size, composition, etc., and how the ANS had them listed?

THanks,

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2024 6:01PM

Another one of JHF’s pieces closing Sunday, June 16th over at GC. This one is in the lofty grade of PCGS-MS64 (only 7 of these graded higher). GC Item ID: 1593225

Wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file