Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin you spent stupid money for... but STILL DON'T REGRET BUYING

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inspired by another thread...

I can see where folks aren't too willing to post pictures of the coins they regret buying... if they still even have them... and I'm sure we have ALL paid SOME sort of "tuition" in this hobby. However, there are times when I've "reached" for a coin and probably spent too much being "in the moment", but absolutely love the coin nonetheless...

Here's one purchased raw that I spent strongly for, but don't regret in the least:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is > @Catbert said:

What is "stupid" money, you might ask?

This was my first thought. What is "stupid money" for me might be (is) pocket change to others.

Tim

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's really a piece that one loves, why not. Your not gonna take it with ya, fwiw

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never spent crazy money for a coin. A little over market sure. Just played out that way so far touch wood.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 5:28PM

@retirednow said:
    One of mine

What's the story behind this 1868 large cent? Or is it a small cent?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian: it’s a large 1C ; there are examples that have copper composition & others with nickel. Two ideas as to its existence. One is as an extension 11 yrs later of the 1857 large cent. The other is as a creation for the collecting interests (& bank accounts) of mint employees - similar to the 1913 5C, 1804 $1, & 1884 & 1855 trade $1’s.
    It’s “officially” a “Gobrecht Coronet Large Cent/Olive Wreath.
    Very interesting piece. I had never seen one with this date before, so everything above is out of Rick Snow’s definitive guide.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:

Cute as speckled pup sleeping in the shadow of a wagon wheel.

peacockcoins

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    @Barberian: it’s a large 1C ; there are examples that have copper composition & others with nickel. Two ideas as to its existence. One is as an extension 11 yrs later of the 1857 large cent. The other is as a creation for the collecting interests (& bank accounts) of mint employees - similar to the 1913 5C, 1804 $1, & 1884 & 1855 trade $1’s.
    It’s “officially” a “Gobrecht Coronet Large Cent/Olive Wreath.
    Very interesting piece. I had never seen one with this date before, so everything above is out of Rick Snow’s definitive guide.

large cent it is - my example is a Judd-610 - struck in Nickel - The sister pieces are J611 struck in copper. The Nickels strike seem a hair rarer that the copper with 7 pieces traced vs about 10- 11 of the copper ( per uspatterns.com)

I think the general consensus is that these is in line with uspatterns.com that these are fantasy coins deliberately made for sale to collectors.

I appreciated Bowers narrative for a J-610 found on Page 64 of Bowers and Ruddy Aug 3, 1998 Rarity Sale catalog for Lot 2004
    “ … Although the 1868 large cent seems to the writer to be a post-dated numismatic rarity, not a pattern in any way, shape, or form, for many years it has been primarily listed in pattern references only, with scarcely a mention in standard texts. Whether or not something should be collected, whether or not it should be included on a “want list,” has often been dictated as to whether a piece is listed in that arbiter of numismatic fashions, A Guide Book of United States Coins. For a number of years we have advanced the “cause” of the 1868 large cent in this regard, feeling that it is deserving of listing. Today[in 1998], it receives a note (page 92 of that reference), although it seems that a full listing is desired. We have known and admired Ken Bressett, editor of the Guide Book, for many years, and have often prodded him on the 1868 large cent listing, to the point at which it has become an object of humor between us. Recently, after writing a serious tribute to Ken and his wife Bert for inclusion in the July issue of The Numismatist, the writer inserted a humorous (?) advertisement as a tribute to Ken, but could not resist illustrating it with the object of interchange between us, an 1868 large cent!
    We have always liked the 1868 large cent, believing that it has an interesting story and also numismatic significance. When¬ ever we have had a chance to buy an example on the market we have done so. Perhaps it is a good thing it is not listed along with the 1884 and 1885 trade dollar, 1913 Liberty Head nickel, and other after-the-regular-series-has-ended pieces, or we would not be able to afford an 1868 large cent….”

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @jfriedm56 said:

Spent over pg, but have no regrets. My first large purchase, and a learning experience. I’d do it again.

Pieces of history...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow: very interesting read above - THANKS! Always something to learn!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I acquired both of these pre-CAC, and never submitted. In both cases neither dealer would budge on the price. But yesterday’s stupid money sometimes turns out to be a bargain over time.

I love the 21-p, the 21-not so much ;D

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file