Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is your world collection mostly raw or graded coins?

Mine is is mostly raw. May one day send them all to PCGS will see.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are 97% raw.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:
    Mine are 97% raw.

I would say 95% raw for mine.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection is mostly raw, especially the ancient imperial Roman piece of it. A larger percentage of my British collection is graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly graded, those that aren’t will be soon, or they’ll be sold.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 7:12AM

The only slabs I have came from the US. I would think that anyone who can answer over 10% slabs them themselves, although some countries have more graded e.g. Russia.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 8 or 10 waiting for me to rearrange the cabinet trays. Otherwise raw as it is impossible to insert a slab into a tray recess.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Total number of coins in collection: 14827
    Total number of slabbed coins: 5. And one of those is a "Sample Slab", so just 4 graded coins.

That's not a very high percentage.

To be honest, I bought the slabs just so I can occasionally show the folks in the coin club what a slab is. Most of them have never seen one.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m at about 50/50, but the raw pile is growing faster. Mostly due to storage problems. Slabs take up about 5 times as much space as raw coins.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% PCGS.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the things I simply do not keep track of... don't know but it may depend largely on how "collection" is defined in contrast to what is just bought and set aside.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Mine is about 80% raw, but I plan on getting more graded.

• Options

I never owned a graded coin. And since most, if not all, of my coins are old 150+ year old circulation coins in medium grades, I most likely will never own one.
    I would even go so far to say that I might crack the holder if I ever get a graded coin, because I enjoy the haptic of old circulating coins very much. To get a sense for how people felt when they handled the coins 1000, 500 or 200 years ago for their everyday or in case of heavy silver and gold sometimes also major purchases.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've cracked coins like this one out of graded holders:

It is a fairly common British crown from the reign of Anne II, minted in Edinburgh. Good Queen Anne was tiring of her plastic tomb and wanted to breathe.

I know it is authentic and I didn't buy the holder I bought the coin. I would say approximately 98% of my British isles collections are ungraded. The only exceptions are some early 20th century BU Irish Freestate coins and a sole Scottish penny from the reign of Alexander III that I bought again for the coin not the graded holder.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Everything bought for the last 5-7 years is graded, but have a lot earlier that is raw. The question is to figure out what of that is worth grading.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past 5 years I've gone from 80% raw to 20%. I think it has more to do with my own personal progression than an overall industry trend. Although adoption of TPGs among German coin collectors and dealers has been strong over the past 5 years.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

I presume everyone here who slabs their world coins does so for investment purposes? There are a few issues where authentication is useful but otherwise that's not particularly important if you don't buy everything from eBay. The grade itself is obviously not relevant other than for resale. It can't be only for the holder as you could do that a lot more cheaply and effectively. Maybe for the ranking and the kudos, but for world coins there isn't really the volume. So is it because selling slabbed coins is easier for higher values, particularly in the US?

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

99% raw out of 300

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2024 10:02AM

@John Conduitt said:
    I presume everyone here who slabs their world coins does so for investment purposes? There are a few issues where authentication is useful but otherwise that's not particularly important if you don't buy everything from eBay. The grade itself is obviously not relevant other than for resale. It can't be only for the holder as you could do that a lot more cheaply and effectively. Maybe for the ranking and the kudos, but for world coins there isn't really the volume. So is it because selling slabbed coins is easier for higher values, particularly in the US?

There is a night and day difference between selling raw and graded coins, especially in the gem grades.

I've also come to appreciate the TPG as a second opinion to help me make tough decisions on what to do with coins.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:

There is a night and day difference between selling raw and graded coins, especially in the gem grades.

What puzzles me is who is buying all the overpriced slabbed coins. I can see that buying coins raw, putting them in a slab and selling for a big profit is attractive. But that means there are lots of people who are willing to vastly overpay. It's not just the top coins (where the price starts to lose it's relationship with objective assessment) and often there are many the same. It can't just be beginners buying them, since there are not enough of those. Not all slabs are priced at a premium (or I wouldn't have any) but it seems even the people who profit from the huge markups are also happy to pay them.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw coins and some I sent to be graded.

I buy raw coins, have bought only four slabbed/graded coins in the last 6 or 7 years that I started to pay attention to the graded coins.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost entirely graded. Most of my coins I buy raw and submit. Helps when I go to sell them as well.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of my inventoried coins, about 90% are graded. Most I bought already graded but submitted some too.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@John Conduitt said:
    I presume everyone here who slabs their world coins does so for investment purposes?

Mostly future marketability for me, including if someone else ends up selling it.

Some of the coins I currently have in slabs I would crack out and sell raw. These are "mistakes" which have the dreaded "details" label because the TPG apply US centric standards of "market acceptability". Some "details" coins are worth more out of the holder than in it, outside the US.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I’m at about 50/50, but the raw pile is growing faster. Mostly due to storage problems. Slabs take up about 5 times as much space as raw coins.

The Slabs which turnoffs for me are the large ones for medals. One of them can take up a fourth of the space in a safe deposit box.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly raw.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

99.999% raw!! Baby's gotta breathe!!