Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What price guide do you use most? What second?

I hope members regard this as a serious question. We all know that price guides are just that -GUIDS! We all know that a coin is only worth what someone who is knowledgeable will pay for it so prices at auction should be considered but Registry Sets probably screw the prices on occasion. I subscribe to Coin Prices, Numismat News and Coin World. I also have access to a grey sheet at my local BMCS. However, this is why I ask. I was looking to buy a Classic U.S. stamp in an auction Friday and my Scott value guide listed it at over $170 used. Stamp collectors know that Scott prices are totally wacky and 50% of Scott is commonly quoted. When I looked on Ebay, I saw dozens of the exact stamp in the same condition (color, centering, etc) listed for BIN prices of less than $30!

So, What guides your purchase price? How firm are grayseet prices (I know it must depend on the particular coin and market condition). I hear dealrs talk about "back of Bid." I don't consider myself a troll or newbe but I just realized that this is a very stupid question due to so many variables that cannot be answered simply. Sorry, but perhaps you'll give it a try

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grey sheet for me. Perhaps PCGS price guide second

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 7:06PM

I use CAC price guide for retail on CAC coins and Greysheet for a view of "wholesale". I like looking at HA auctions because it shows multiple price guides in a nice convenient table.

• Options

Greysheet as a base. I do a lot of eBay sales comparisons too, but that takes some serious scrutinizing.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS price guide and auction comparables.

Coin world price trends are pretty accurate, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three questions. Where are you doing most of your buying? What types of coins are you buying? Are you also buying CAC coins?

P.S. Used stamps are probably the weakest portion of the stamp collecting market.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 9:30PM

Coins:
    1. ebay Sold items, if there are not too many to look up
    2. Numismedia.com FMV for US coins
    3. numista.com for world coins

Stamps:
    1. ebay Sold items.
    2. stampworld.com

All are free online sources.

Stamps sell for more like 15% of Scott catalog value.

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 60 ✭✭

I use a combination of PCGS Coinfacts and recent ebay listings. Keep in mind I'm new to this, I haven't bought any coins over $400, and I don't have a greysheet subscription.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the PCGS Price Guide, and reduce the price shown by about 25%-30% to get me in the general ballpark.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 309 ✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    Three questions. Where are you doing most of your buying? What types of coins are you buying? Are you also buying CAC coins?

P.S. Used stamps are probably the weakest portion of the stamp collecting market.

Coin shows and local dealers. I'm working on two type sets. One in G/VG and the other VF/XF with the modern stuff in Unc. Bo problem coins so I can only add a few coins a year as I'm down to the hard to find ones. In the meantime, I've decided to put an Ike dollar collection on my list to scratch my itch.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismedia FMV to get an idea of retail price.
    For raw and slabbed generic US gold coins, I'll check JM Bullion and APMEX to see what they are charging for their coins. I consider these to be retail prices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

On slabbed coins I use Greysheet, CPG, and PCGS and add all of them as notes to any GC auctions in the notes on stuff I'm bidding on. For unslabbed I use EBay completed items.

Sadly, I live in the middle of rural nowhere, so no local coin dealer or other collectors to directly meet up with -- I love my place and have gigabit Internet but just not big enough to support anything but jewelers that want stuff free and ask extreme prices on bullion and any coins.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use PCGS price guide mainly because I only purchase PCGS certified coins CAC’d or not depending on eye appeal. I feel comfortable paying at + or - 10%. I also try to trace the coin’s history in recent Heritage auctions. I used to use Greysheet, but in today’s market realistically, those prices now seem low. Can’t find nice eye appealing coins at those prices.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    I use PCGS price guide mainly because I only purchase PCGS certified coins CAC’d or not depending on eye appeal. I feel comfortable paying at + or - 10%. I also try to trace the coin’s history in recent Heritage auctions. I used to use Greysheet, but in today’s market realistically, those prices now seem low. Can’t find nice eye appealing coins at those prices.

Sounds good, but one minor tip. Even though it sounds like you may be buying coins mainly (or only) from Heritage, rather than using their Auction history tool, I suggest you consider using the PCGS Auction Prices realized tool instead, as that will still show those same Heritage auction results, but will also show in that one screen, auction results from Stacks, Legend, DLRC, etc. (but in general not GC).

Happy Hunting!

Steve

Thanks for your input Steve. I have never purchased any coins from Heritage auctions. I just visit the site to see if the coin I'm about to buy, has recently been sold on that site and possible history. I do use the PCGS Auction prices realized, but forgot to mention that. Zack

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 6:57AM

Refer to - PCGS Coin Facts, CDN - whsl Bid & CDN CPG Retail (CDN Digital Dealer app). Cost Plus also a data factor. PG Data from all entered in SS plus column for cost plus. Then analyze the big picture. Basically a big picture overview analyst / strategy kind of guy.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with what several people have said so far. it takes a village to price a coin. the original poster mentioned there are so many variables and in truth that is why I can't point to one guide and say "That is the specific price" of a certain coin.
    I build a price history using all the tools mentioned so far and then adjust everything according to how I view each specific coin.
    I am not trying to brag but more than 50% of the time I can predetermine the final sale price of a coin I am tracking. having said that, you should also know I often times don't or can't actually buy the coin and this ONLY pertains to the tiny area I collect in. James

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Great Collections or Heritage sold listings.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

20% of Scott is more normal. Scott makes no attempt to bring their catalogs in line with current pricing.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS data - list less 20 and recent auctions. CAC list less 20. For starters. I will go higher for a nice coin but try to use list as my max. For coins infrequently traded, gut.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greysheet -10% back of bid. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay completed sales and auctions.

Most of my purchases are modern raw, coupled with occasional die marriage or variety.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS
    CAC
    The OP said “price guides”, but I also reference auction results.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

1)Greysheets... adjusted with my secret formula that I keep next to the Coco Cola formula.

or

2)Gut feel.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@DisneyFan said:

Coin shows and local dealers. I'm working on two type sets. One in G/VG and the other VF/XF with the modern stuff in Unc. Bo problem coins so I can only add a few coins a year as I'm down to the hard to find ones. In the meantime, I've decided to put an Ike dollar collection on my list to scratch my itch.

As you can see from the responses, fair pricing coins can be a lot of work, especially as you go up the dollar value scale. If you are just starting out at the shallow end of the pool, concentrate more on finding nice eye appealing coins and check out some of the top auction houses.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most accurate and simplest for me is ebay's sold coin history.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use recent comps. Auction records, etc. In my mind, they get weighted much more significantly than any published guide. Recent sales are a place to start, considering each coin’s particular attributes, grades, plastic, and stickers, (in that order).

Beyond that, I look at CU and CAC’s guides. This approach is more applicable to more valuable coins, of course. For coins in the $50-$500 range, published guides are probably relevant enough.

• Options

Thanks for all the responses. I have some new places to look!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS as a starting point, auction h/x next.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

CDN/CPG first, Price guide second. As always, auction comps are by far the most reliable though.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a big ticket item guy. Red book for a quick reference ballpark estimate (if it's within my range), then eBay recently sold.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

recent sold listings.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

For buying in shop on regular stuff, I use basically what It will bring on Ebay minus a percentage that varies depending on coin type, quality, how easy to not to sell, etc For the nicer stuff, I use greysheet and auction prices realized or a combination therefof.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:40PM

Yes many here have their opinion that xprice guide or what somebody blew it out at auction is a a retail price lol, the one, etc. . I don’t let that bother me. Just work my angle as discussed above. A lot of stuff just markup Cost plus anyway. Some buyers ignorant of pricing want 25-30 pct off (modus operindi) so pad that stuff accordingly once you get to know how that buyer operates.

• Options

I also have a good relationship with several dealers. My best buys come from the quick turrounds the make. Last week I got a diamond ring at 10% over melt and the diamonds (1.6 carats total) were thrown in for free! Only problem is he is holding it for thirty days to make sure its not hot. I'm waiting for an Ike set to drop in. I can use it as a starter and upgrade if needed.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I suggest you consider using the PCGS Auction Prices Realized tool instead, as that will still show those same Heritage auction results, but will also show in that one screen, auction results from Stacks, Legend, DLRC, etc. (but in general not GC).”

Steve

I am with you Steve.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I triangulate auction price history with Stacks, Great Collections and Heritage. HA and Stacks having the higher quality coins generally.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2024 7:08PM

Main Sources for price research:

1. CDN Dealer App - Bid / CPG Retail
    2. PCGS coin facts
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say I use the NGC and PCGS price guides often but when I do, (unless I'm reading them wrong) their prices are nowhere near the reality of the current market values!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greysheet, PCGS listings, auction listings and my gut.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file