Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 1801 Thomas Jefferson Inaugural Medal.

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever someone asks if you have any regrets about the purchases you didn't make, my answer for the last decade has been that I passed on an 1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal. I purchased this one in the last group of Stacks' auctions. It's not perfect. There are a couple toning spots on the obverse which I wish were not there, but I have "filled the hole", which makes me very happy.

This piece was John Reich's first medal that he produced after he came to America in 1800. The obverse commemorates Thomas Jefferson's inauguration as President on March 4, 1801. The reverse commemorates the 25th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson was the prime author of that document.

This piece is made of silver. There are an estimated 12 known examples. In addition there might be four or five examples in white metal. PCGS graded this piece SP-62. I am a bit more conservative at SP-58. When there are only 12 known, you can't be overly choosey. I think that the finest known example is the piece in the Massachusetts Historical Society collection.

I done some Google searches and found pictures of 9 other examples in silver. I grade my piece the fifth best among that group. A tenth piece was stolen from the University of Virginia in 1973 and has never been recovered. It belonged to one of Jefferson's daughters, Maria. It was said to be polished with a rim bruise at 11 k.

I found four white metal pieces on line.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

with only 12 known examples you have to feel good about the acquisition and that is besides the historic properties mentioned

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I got to see that one at the Baltimore show. What a fantastic work of art! super high relief and one of the Mint’s noblest looking medals.
    Congrats on a great pickup!

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, cool medal!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and congrats!

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations and thanks for the history on the piece

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Bill! I've heard you speak about this piece as "the one that got away" for many years. I'm glad you were able to locate one that you can live with. As we both know, in the world of exonumia sometimes you have to make concessions or you will never own an example. And that is a beautiful medal that I'd be proud to own.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats. The obverse is remarkably similar to the peace medals given to the natives by Lewis & Clark - @BillJones are you aware of any connection between the two?

https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/indian-peace-medals-to-cross-the-auction-block

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I know you have been looking for this one for a long time.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 3:43AM

@CircCam said:
    Wow, congrats. The obverse is remarkably similar to the peace medals given to the natives by Lewis & Clark - @BillJones are you aware of any connection between the two?

https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/indian-peace-medals-to-cross-the-auction-block

Yes. Robert Scot gets the design credit for the Jefferson Indian peace medal, but the bust of Jefferson was taken from the inaugural medal. Reich was hired to do menial tasks at the mint after he crafted the dies for the inaugural medal. He did not get a full time job until 1807 when he became an assistant engraver.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours is one Beautiful medal. Congrats. One to surely be proud of.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning design.
    Repop of the friendship medal:

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great medal, thanks for posting.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file