Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here crack out most of his coins and collects them raw?

What are the ups and downs of collecting this way you have learned over time?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I collect US colonial coins and notes and have zero slabs in my collection. I will immediately break it out of its confines if it is “certified”.

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 46 ✭✭

I know many ancient coin collectors prefer to buy coins graded and then crack them out so they can handle them with their hands (often with gloves.)
    An increasingly small number of people will also crack out coins to put into their albums. I personally prefer to keep mine in slabs in case I sell/trade/upgrade them in the future. A slabbed coin will ALWAYS sell for more than a raw coin in the same condition as long as its from a reliable TPG.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 6:02PM

I wouldn't say most but I have cracked out coins to complete albums. Mostly to ensure they are problem free and not counterfeits. It's all upside for me...........why?............Because I like it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve cracked out just a handful to complete albums, but no more than that.
    More recently I have added photos of coins and labels into those albums to avoid cracking those graded slabs.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:
    I collect US colonial coins and notes and have zero slabs in my collection. I will immediately break it out of its confines if it is “certified”.

I collect colonials as well and do the same thing, with one exception. I have a French, 30 Denier, counterfeit actually, from a hoard discovered in England. It is in a slab marked New World Hoard which I left for the provenance.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cracked out specific coins for my album. Primarily 1921 PL Morgan's. Outside of that I prefer to keep them in slabs. Definetly easier to resell for more money.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did that when I made my 7070.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

The upside is you get to actually hold the coins and they're all together in a compact format.

Amazing how much space you can save in a compact format! Even RAW coins can take up a lot of space if you keep them in original boxes they're sold in. I do enjoy some coins in a little tray, kept raw, circulated, & fun to hold and examine...but most of my raw coins are kept in capsules.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone paid to send in and get a professional grade, encapsulate it, and send it back.

If you don’t want the benefit of someone else’s spent money, then crack away.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I cracked at least 70+ Morgans, Peace and WLHs for my albums. Cracked nothing higher then MS64 for common dates. But have cracked Rattlers, many soap bars, including Gen 2 alpha/numeric, old NGC, CAC sticker, and a 93-S.
    At one time I was trying for the complete Morgan set in holder, Dansco and LOC albums and was 90% there. Had the best in slab, then Dansco, then circulated in LOCs. To fund son's college, sold most of the Morgan slabs. After that, I cracked some nice remaining slabs to complete the Dansco.

I like albums, but still have a dozen slabs that are duplicates. Kept all the slab grades for reference. Profit loss doesn't bother me nor loss of marketability. Never started hobby for profit, only enjoyment.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^Seriously Cool^^^ B)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my customers cracks everything out. Key dates , higher grades, etc., it's quite disturbing to me but he likes them raw and in Dansco Albums. Yesterday he had two slabbed coins he picked up in Kansas City and wanted to show me prior to cracking them. 0ne cost him $4500, the other was $2150.

Each to their own.

• Options

There are definitely LOTS of different ways of enjoying this hobby...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

I think of a coin collection as a work of art, and presentation matters. Just saying.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Anyone here crack out most of his coins and collects them raw?

No! 🤣 😂 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done so many times for my albums. I just place my holders label on the final page in a coin zip lok baggie. I have an 09s and 31s lincoln, along with a 75s 20 cent piece to crack out for albums. I use a bandsaw and have never even came close to damaging a coin or a label.
    But have never even came to 5% of my holdered coins cracked out.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken - It's easy. 🤣 😉 👍🏻

From this:

To this:

To this:

To this:

To this:

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I see, now.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Sometimes

Did you really???

• Options

I just wonder that as our eyesight gets weaker we would prefer to have our coins in slabs so we can easily read the dates and mintmarks rather than trying to flip the pages back and forth.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 5:18AM

I can't do it.

Is it OCA or ADD?

I get the shakes if my slabs don't match.

The host has me brainwashed.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems there is more than one question- collecting raw is fun and reasonable. Buying raw coins at certain grade levels is also fun and reasonable. If what is being collected is price sensitive based on condition rarity, then cracking out coins within that set simply does not seem to be a winning financial strategy. And buying certain types of coins in series that have been graded in an effort to avoid counterfeits makes some sense at some level... but then cracking them out seems to defeat the purpose.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    Sometimes

Did you really???

I did, the holder was all scratchy and I’m keeping it for a while. Eventually I’ll get it into a different holder.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@DisneyFan said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    Sometimes

Did you really???

I did, the holder was all scratchy and I’m keeping it for a while. Eventually I’ll get it into a different holder.

Have fun with your coin!

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I cracked out a PCGS XF-40 1909 s VDB and a PCGS VF-30 1922 no D to finish up the Dansco album. Also several coins for the 7070 Dansco including the Gold page. It's much more enjoyable to see the complete album this way.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cracked out many coins for my albums.
    I still have a few that I wouldn't touch.
    I think raw coins are so much more interesting. Not that anything is wrong with slabbed coins either.
    I guess I'm 50/50.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

I'm trying to think of a good numismatic term or phrase that would accurately describe or depicted a collector that cracks out coins. Is there one?

Sounds like a topic for a new thread.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I'm trying to think of a good numismatic term or phrase that would accurately describe or depicted a collector that cracks out coins. Is there one?

Sounds like a topic for a new thread.

A real numismatist.

Just kidding don't cancel me!!! :o:#

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 7:31PM

I do a lot of trading, flipping & upgrading. It’s much easier to do so with slabs. Plus, I’m looking ahead to where my coins end up. Raw coins would be a problem for my heirs as they don’t have an interest in the hobby like I do.
    But I can understand those who like the feel & look of a raw coin in hand. I know of a high end IHC collector who cracks all of his slabs out to place in an album. Nothing wrong with this - to each his own.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never sent a coin in for grading and have no intention of doing so. I do own 537 graded coins and would not think of breaking them out of the slab, as those slabs do protect the coin and make storage easier. I do not have any albums, and the rest of my 2,400 plus coins are in air-tite holders or their original government packaging in the case of uncirculated sets, proof sets and commemorative issues.

In the end, to each his or her own. I will say that 27 slab boxes are quite a good amount of them.

• Options

@erscolo said:
    I have never sent a coin in for grading and have no intention of doing so. I do own 537 graded coins and would not think of breaking them out of the slab, as those slabs do protect the coin and make storage easier. I do not have any albums, and the rest of my 2,400 plus coins are in air-tite holders or their original government packaging in the case of uncirculated sets, proof sets and commemorative issues.

In the end, to each his or her own. I will say that 27 slab boxes are quite a good amount of them.

And that's what makes this hobby so interesting. There are so many different aspects, covering a wide range of interests.

• Options

I couldn't bring myself to crack the last coin for my 7070, so the "proxy coin" in the album serves as a marker for the transition in my collecting style (if I even have one)... These days, I "just say no"... to crack... ;-)

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024 8:57AM

Agreed @lkenefic - Good looking page! 👍

I should start a new thread. For the crack lovers: "Which Coins Would You Never Crack Out?"

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024 9:31AM

@OAKSTAR said:

I should start a new thread. For the crack lovers: "Which Coins Would You Never Crack Out?"

...or... for those of us still "on crack"... ;)

edited to add... https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089579/confessions-of-a-reformed-crack-addict

• Options

@lkenefic said:

@OAKSTAR said:

...or... for those of us still "on crack"... ;)

edited to add... https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089579/confessions-of-a-reformed-crack-addict

I forgot about that thread @lkenefic, thanks!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as enjoyable as albums but I keep and display my slabs in trays in Lighthouse boxes of 8, 12, 24 and 32. A good compromise. I’m a type guy tho, may not work with a long series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file