Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out my new Barbie

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a spontaneous purchase that I couldn't resist this week, a 1915 Proof Barber Half in an OGH w/CAC approval that I snagged from GFRC. His photos can be challenging to judge by, but I had a feeling this one would have the in-hand appearance that it does and I was pleased to confirm that when it arrived.

This is a fully and darkly toned example, perhaps too dark for some collectors but it's exactly how I prefer these old proofs. It reminds me of the 1878 20c proof I own (in color and character). This is the second lowest proof mintage (450), with only the 1914 lower (380)—I have a 1914 set of proof CAC Barbers and now feel a little pressure to build a 1915.

This is the only PR62 stickered or graded by CAC. The entire CAC pop is just 28 coins, and those that are also in an OGH is likely just a small fraction of that, which makes this a pretty special coin IMO.

The obverse is highlighted by vivid oranges in angled lighting, and the reverse is deeply and richly toned in navy with brighter purplish centers. As evident in the videos, the mirrors are a bit flashier on the reverse than the obverse—some old hairlines are visible on the latter under very bright light, which I think would hold it to a 63 if graded today.

I've always thought that these low mintage Barber proofs were underrated. The next proof issue was the 1936 Walking Liberty, which has almost 9x the mintage (3,901) and sells for several times as much!

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, Barber proofs are easily the most attractive silver 20th century proofs and this is a very attractive example. I think the toning is absolutely perfect. 62 seems a little punitive unless there are some hairlines hiding there somewhere.

Really nice newp!

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree terrible photos for sure........

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG. O-M-G!!!!!

That may be the nicest 62 Proof I’ve ever seen. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good date in proof. Nice get. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that on Gerrys site, congrats on a very nice coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

is there pink in the center of the devices?

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! Congrats Buddy! 1915 is just a great date too! Mintage=450!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell it's a beauty - Love the green holder too, that'd be a keeper for me. B)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you have "Barbie's". What about "KENnedys". :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    is there pink in the center of the devices?

There are pink and purple hues at the center of the reverse, yes.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

great, Barbie likes pink ++

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This was a spontaneous purchase that I couldn't resist this week, a 1915 Proof Barber Half in an OGH w/CAC approval that I snagged from GFRC. This is the second lowest proof mintage (450), with only the 1914 lower (380)

This is the only PR62 stickered or graded by CAC. The entire CAC pop is just 28 coins, and those that are also in an OGH is likely just a small fraction of that, which makes this a pretty special coin IMO.

I've always thought that these low mintage Barber proofs were underrated. The next proof issue was the 1936 Walking Liberty, which has almost 9x the mintage (3,901) and sells for several times as much!

You have convinced me. I need to find one.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    You have convinced me. I need to find one.

If you find one, my advice: don’t hesitate! Gerry also had a 1914 PR63 Quarter a few weeks ago that I tried to snag the morning it hit his blog post, but someone got to it before me.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintage # 450

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't see the light of day in the market, for long. Nice one.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this coin, when i saw your instagram vid of the reverse i thought it would have been higher than pr62.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw that on IG yesterday, and wondered exactly the same thing as @DeplorableDan.

Coin Photographer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file