Check out my new Barbie

Options
P0CKETCHANGE
P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a spontaneous purchase that I couldn't resist this week, a 1915 Proof Barber Half in an OGH w/CAC approval that I snagged from GFRC. His photos can be challenging to judge by, but I had a feeling this one would have the in-hand appearance that it does and I was pleased to confirm that when it arrived.

This is a fully and darkly toned example, perhaps too dark for some collectors but it's exactly how I prefer these old proofs. It reminds me of the 1878 20c proof I own (in color and character). This is the second lowest proof mintage (450), with only the 1914 lower (380)—I have a 1914 set of proof CAC Barbers and now feel a little pressure to build a 1915.

This is the only PR62 stickered or graded by CAC. The entire CAC pop is just 28 coins, and those that are also in an OGH is likely just a small fraction of that, which makes this a pretty special coin IMO.

The obverse is highlighted by vivid oranges in angled lighting, and the reverse is deeply and richly toned in navy with brighter purplish centers. As evident in the videos, the mirrors are a bit flashier on the reverse than the obverse—some old hairlines are visible on the latter under very bright light, which I think would hold it to a 63 if graded today.

I've always thought that these low mintage Barber proofs were underrated. The next proof issue was the 1936 Walking Liberty, which has almost 9x the mintage (3,901) and sells for several times as much!




Comments

  • habaraca
    habaraca Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I agree terrible photos for sure........

  • Dave99B
    Dave99B Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    OMG. O-M-G!!!!!

    That may be the nicest 62 Proof I’ve ever seen. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

    Dave

    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Namvet69
    Namvet69 Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    That's a good date in proof. Nice get. Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW

  • coinbuf
    coinbuf Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I saw that on Gerrys site, congrats on a very nice coin.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • davewesen
    davewesen Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    is there pink in the center of the devices?

  • RobertScotLover
    RobertScotLover Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Beautiful

  • Eldorado9
    Eldorado9 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Beautiful! Congrats Buddy! 1915 is just a great date too! Mintage=450!

  • Catbert
    Catbert Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very attractive!

    Seated Half Society member #38

    "She comes out of the sun in a silk dress,
    running like a water color in the rain...."
  • Meltdown
    Meltdown Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I can tell it's a beauty - Love the green holder too, that'd be a keeper for me. B)

  • BLUEJAYWAY
    BLUEJAYWAY Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Now you have "Barbie's". What about "KENnedys". :)

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @davewesen said:
    is there pink in the center of the devices?

    There are pink and purple hues at the center of the reverse, yes.

  • davewesen
    davewesen Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    great, Barbie likes pink ++

  • DisneyFan
    DisneyFan Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This was a spontaneous purchase that I couldn't resist this week, a 1915 Proof Barber Half in an OGH w/CAC approval that I snagged from GFRC. This is the second lowest proof mintage (450), with only the 1914 lower (380)

    This is the only PR62 stickered or graded by CAC. The entire CAC pop is just 28 coins, and those that are also in an OGH is likely just a small fraction of that, which makes this a pretty special coin IMO.

    I've always thought that these low mintage Barber proofs were underrated. The next proof issue was the 1936 Walking Liberty, which has almost 9x the mintage (3,901) and sells for several times as much!

    You have convinced me. I need to find one.

  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @DisneyFan said:
    You have convinced me. I need to find one.

    If you find one, my advice: don’t hesitate! Gerry also had a 1914 PR63 Quarter a few weeks ago that I tried to snag the morning it hit his blog post, but someone got to it before me.

  • lcoopie
    lcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Mintage # 450

    LCoopie = Les
  • TwoSides2aCoin
    TwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    They don't see the light of day in the market, for long. Nice one.

  • PeakRarities
    PeakRarities Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Love this coin, when i saw your instagram vid of the reverse i thought it would have been higher than pr62.

    Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

  • FlyingAl
    FlyingAl Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Saw that on IG yesterday, and wondered exactly the same thing as @DeplorableDan.

  • Copperindian
    Copperindian Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Two beauties! The 50C looks better than 62 - congrats on two great pickups!

    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian
    Copperindian II
    Indy Eagles
    Gold Rush
    Bust Caps

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian
    Nickelodeon
    Early Walkers

    Successful transactions: Eagle Eye, redraider, winesteven, renomedphys, splitaces, oreville, ajaan, Cent1225, onlyroosies, justindan, blitzdude, DesertMoon, johnnyb, Heubschgold, SunshineRareCoins, ParadimeCoins, ndeagles, Southern_Knights, pcgsregistrycollector, BruceS

  • DisneyFan
    DisneyFan Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Happy to report that I was able to find the perfect companion 1915 dime! I spotted this OGH-holdered dime in an online auction and pulled the trigger, then sent it to CAC where I was thrilled she earned a green bean.

    It's deeply and richly toned with watery mirrors flashing through as shown in the video. CAC Pop 7 in 65 (9 including CAM), with 17 higher (21 including CAM). It's such a great match to the bigger brother half dollar!

    If anyone has any leads on a fully toned 1915 Proof Quarter in an OGH, let me know :)


    A great coin. It's impressive you found this CAC key date Barber dime proof "raw" (without a CAC).

  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @DisneyFan said:
    A great coin. It's impressive you found this CAC key date Barber dime proof "raw" (without a CAC).

    I was thrilled when it beaned, as I assumed when I bought it that it most likely had already been seen and failed.

  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2024 11:03AM
    Options

    (edit: forum issues—duplicate post)

  • jesbroken
    jesbroken Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    What a beautiful barber. Wow. Can't believe that whoever sent that beauty in years ago, didn't select to have it photo'd. Especially since Phil was there then. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Bikergeek
    Bikergeek Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I love the half dollar. I have a soft spot for proofs although I sold my older proofs to fund my half-dime addiction. Gorgeous toning really is the icing on the cake for coins that were meticulously minted. Super nice! I was wondering why only a 62 as well, and so I went back to GRFC's research page and snooped it out. The write-up says:

    Exceptional Bright Light Eye Appeal, Choice Original.. Evaluating proofs strikes is typically accomplished by GFRC with two parameters, mirror reflectance and hairlines. Most proofs also require a bright light to fully appreciate the toning portrait. This lot excels on all parameters as the mirrors expose the predominance of aquamarine-blue, gold, and rose colors that are very eye appealing. I'm tough on hairlines and was pleasantly surprise to find absolutely no hairlines in the fields, rather a few faint rub lines on the check that are not particular to a proof strike. Worthy of its GFRC-Gem quality rating along with a conservative reserve to stimulate bidding. CAC notes 26 approved in all grades with not a single cameo meeting criteria. This is the lone example approved at the certified grade. Housed in PCGS Gen 3.1 (1993-1998) old green holder with CAC approval.

    My hobby website Groovycoins.com, new and improved!

  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Bikergeek Gerry may not have been able to see any hairlines, but I can :)

  • etexmike
    etexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    Options

    Great looking dime but I love the toning on the half. Congrats on the additions.

  • Desert Moon
    Desert Moon Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Wow for both!

    My online coin store - https://desertmoonnm.com/
  • RobertScotLover
    RobertScotLover Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Interesting that you call it darkly toned, and yet PCGS hollered it years ago and CAC sticker in recent times. I one point David Hall was very against holdering dark material and CAC was against stickering such

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file