Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG 1909-P VDB Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got the TrueView back on a 1909-P VDB Lincoln that I submitted. I was unaware that it was a Doubled Die! Care to guess what grade this cent received?

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

You say you were unaware of Doubled Die. Did you submit the coin under variety attribution?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I did not. I submitted it strictly for grading and encapsulation.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 64 R&B.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@PipestonePete said:
    I did not. I submitted it strictly for grading and encapsulation.

So how and when did you discover it was doubled die?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

When I received notification from PCGS that the grades were in. If there is an extra charge for that service I expect I will be invoiced for it.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

63RB, congrats on the DDO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@PipestonePete said:
    When I received notification from PCGS that the grades were in. If there is an extra charge for that service I expect I will be invoiced for it.

I wasn't aware they would attribute it, without it being requested on the submission form and paid for in advance.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

63RD to me.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Follow up with them as well, jmo

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 11:52AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I wasn't aware they would attribute it, without it being requested on the submission form and paid for in advance.

Many / most of the "major" varieties get attributed without extra fees. For this one: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1909-vdb-1c-ddo-fs-1101-rd/37633

In an earlier thread:

@PCGSCustomerService said:
    Please visit this link; PCGS Varieties it has just about everything you need to know along with a list of what we'll attribute. In a nutshell a major variety is anything found in the Cherrypickers Guide, the Red Book or any variety that already has a corresponding PCGS coin number.

Also:

@PCGSCustomerService said:
    "If the coin is listed on the main date listing page (http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Hierarchy.aspx?c=711&title=Type+2,+No+Motto+(1840-1865)), it is considered a Major variety.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this is not going too far out on a limb but PCGS did the right thing by acknowledging the variety. Congrats. While I see this as 64 RB, I will leave this one to the copper and Lincoln collectors to decide.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Thank you for the informative responses and the guesses. The grade assigned is 65RD.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent... Sadly that you are unable to see the smile on my face as I type this.. A Huge Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Congrats on that grade!! 👍

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    Thank you for the informative responses and the guesses. The grade assigned is 65RD.

That is a nice result and a pretty nice increase in value! Not surprising but definitely unfortunate that the Trueview is pretty awful.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I was going to guess 64RD before I saw you posted the grade.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    You say you were unaware of Doubled Die. Did you submit the coin under variety attribution?

The error can be easily seen with a 10x loupe. Why spend extra money to know what you already know? First year of issue for Lincoln cent, first Lincoln cent DDO error. B)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 6:16AM

@mr1931S said:

@OAKSTAR said:

The error can be easily seen with a 10x loupe. Why spend extra money to know what you already know? First year of issue for Lincoln cent, first Lincoln cent DDO error. B)

After reading this, I didn't realize there would be no extra fees.

(What does the service cost? The cost is $20 added to the level of service utilized. For example, if you chose a Regular service level ($40/coin) plus variety attribution, your grading fees would come to $60.)

Will they put "DDO FS-1101" on the label? Without requesting attribution on the submission form, you're saying PCGS will do it anyway? What if the submitter didn't want this designator? I'm just a little confused with the process.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 RD

• Options

Is the die crack that runs from the rim and through the "E" in "WE" a diagnostic of all of these 1909 Doubled Dies?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    Is the die crack that runs from the rim and through the "E" in "WE" a diagnostic of all of these 1909 Doubled Dies?

It does appear on some in CoinFacts, but most don’t have it. Maybe it’s a late die diagnostic.

• Options

Did you get the coin back yet?

• Options

My DDO 1909 V.D.B. does have "FS-1101" designation on the ANACS label. Why would I want to spend $20 more with PCGS on top of grading fees to tell me what I already know? Graded properly imo as about uncirculated by ANACS to risk its being downgraded to XF-45 by PCGS or NGC?

A poster here earlier got it right. ALL 1909 V.D.B. Lincoln cents, to include 1909-S V.D.B., are varieties. That's why a date/mint Lincoln cent set doesn't need a 1909-S V.D.B. example present to claim "completeness."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 5:59AM

@PipestonePete said:
    Just got the TrueView back on a 1909-P VDB Lincoln that I submitted. I was unaware that it was a Doubled Die! Care to guess what grade this cent received?

I didn't guess before the reveal but I definitely wouldn't call this piece, nice as it is, a "gem" which is what the number MS-65 is supposed to mean. It's fully struck, "choice" but not a gem. Not a gem because of the spots, which are a distraction.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

According to USPS it should arrive tomorrow.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I received the coin today. No variety designation on the label.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

@PipestonePete -

I guess it would have been nice to know if it was a FS-1101 or FS-1102.

So just to clarify for me. You submitted the coin for just straight grading. You did not request or pay for attributing, correct?

Would PCGS put the FS numbers on the labels if you pay for it?

• Options

I assume they would have added the FS number if I had requested and paid for it. I wish they would have just done it and charged me for that service.

• Options

Big difference between FS-1101 and FS-1102. FS-1101 is the cool one. 1102, not so much.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice accidental score! You submitted it as a non-DDO, so PCGS corrected it for you B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file