Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible weather problems for upcoming ANA show

2»

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that bad. We probably have 12inches in the western suburbs of Denver. It kept me home today (school cancelled) but I'll do my best to make it to the show on Friday.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

how many holes are in the bourse?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@FlyingAl said:

@CaptHenway said:

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Not the brightest idea to hold this event at this time of year! Last year in Scottsdale was Awesome!

A week ago Denver hit 70. Springtime in the Rockies is a crapshoot.

Heck, yesterday was mid 60s.

How much snow did you get, and is it still snowing now? Looks like it is almost stopped up here in Boulder County.

We got a foot and a half, and forecast shows 8 more inches.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1943 copper cent imaged in this thread originated in a PCGS MS 63 RED ‘unknown planchet’ realizing $164,500. in StacksBowers and the lab report stated “91.7% copper, 7.5% zinc, 0.8% silver. 3.08 grams.”

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    The 1943 copper cent imaged in this thread originated in a PCGS MS 63 RED ‘unknown planchet’ realizing $164,500. in StacksBowers and the lab report stated “91.7% copper, 7.5% zinc, 0.8% silver. 3.08 grams.”

Considering the situation in 43, somewhat irregular alloys don’t seem that surprising. On the other hand, it might still be interesting to test a large and random sample of 1942 cents.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would side with PCGS on this one and call the planchet "Bronze" rather than "Unknown."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2024 3:05PM

PCGS slabbed it twice.

First as unknown, then as bronze.

This was a huge score for somebody.

A fantastic mint error!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

Considering the situation in 43, somewhat irregular alloys don’t seem that surprising. On the other hand, it might still be interesting to test a large and random sample of 1942 cents.

Yeah, they were so busy they cut corners on the minor coinage. I have mentioned here before how when I was at Collectors Clearinghouse back in the 70's I wrote to the head of the Mint Lab, Dr. Goldman, and asked about why the wartime nickels so often came laminated and what the actual specific gravity should be for one. He replied and said that he had been working at the Mint during the War, and he remembered that they were so stacked up they were storing ingots of non-precious metal alloying materials in an interior courtyard open to the weather. Included in them were ingots of manganese, which oxidized heavily out there in the open. He then said that they should have "scaled" these ingots (i.e., scrubbed them with a wire brush) before using them, but they were too busy and skipped that step. As a result, the manganese oxide got into the alloy and caused the later laminations.

When I was at ANACS and attributing Wartime off-metal pieces I tended to give pieces the benefit of the doubt when the weights and/or contents were just a little bit off. I would have done what PCGS did here and just called it "Bronze."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2024 3:20PM

Yes, I would have called it bronze too.

But my point was…

PCGS originally called it unknown.

It went from $164,500 the first time certfied by PCGS as unknown

To over a million dollars after PCGS re-certified it as bronze:

As per PCGS and Heritage:

“MS63 Red. The sale of this coin for more than $1 million was reported by PCGS on 1/18/2018. It was purchased by the owner of The Dazzling Red Collection of Lincoln Wheat Cents. Oddly, this coin does not appear in the PCGS Population Report, but its cert number 32839117 still verifies.”

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

We only had a couple of inches in Fort Collins.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

@relicsncoins said:

Well over 15 inches here in Boulder County. Douglas County a lot worse.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more than double @FlyingAl 's age and yet...why am I so juvenile and immature?

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 7:01PM

Shoveling did me in today (8" of heavy snow this morning at my house) but plan on being there tomorrow. Can't wait!

It did start snowing again around 4pm at my house and have gotten another 2" so far. Supposed to snow throughout the night I believe before the storm moves out tomorrow. For non-Coloradans that means 60s on Saturday :D

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take pictures of the bourse. It'll give an idea to the number of no shows. Obviously Saturday doesn't count

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@relicsncoins said:

Well over 15 inches here in Boulder County. Douglas County a lot worse.

It's been snowing since about noon here now. We have about 7 inches now. My daughter in Arvada said they were sitting at about 18 inches earlier today.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I'm more than double @FlyingAl 's age and yet...why am I so juvenile and immature?

Ah.........a lot more than double wouldn't you say :o:o

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

Yeah, they were so busy they cut corners on the minor coinage. I have mentioned here before how when I was at Collectors Clearinghouse back in the 70's I wrote to the head of the Mint Lab, Dr. Goldman, and asked about why the wartime nickels so often came laminated and what the actual specific gravity should be for one. He replied and said that he had been working at the Mint during the War, and he remembered that they were so stacked up they were storing ingots of non-precious metal alloying materials in an interior courtyard open to the weather. Included in them were ingots of manganese, which oxidized heavily out there in the open. He then said that they should have "scaled" these ingots (i.e., scrubbed them with a wire brush) before using them, but they were too busy and skipped that step. As a result, the manganese oxide got into the alloy and caused the later laminations.

When I was at ANACS and attributing Wartime off-metal pieces I tended to give pieces the benefit of the doubt when the weights and/or contents were just a little bit off. I would have done what PCGS did here and just called it "Bronze."

This is very interesting and thanks for posting it. Now this info will not be lost to numismatics! And another thing... you, me, and just a few others even remember that at one time there was a Mint Lab. As I recall from the fog of history a Dr. Hunter ran it later. BTW, the last time I contacted the Mint (ten years ago) NOBODY KNEW THAT LAB HAD EVER EXISTED! That's funny, When I was at ANACS in Washington, we took error coins and new C/F coins over there to show them - including the new "Omega" fakes. They had possession of the Mint Die Records in large ledgers going back to the 19th century where we looked up the HR dies that were used. Unfortunately, I thought those ledgers would always be available to me forever so the only thing I ever copied were the dies used for Seated Dollars (This info was published in the Gobrecht Journal a while back). I think we copied info on the 1909 cent dies also. Unfortunately, I believe these ledgers have been lost.

Please write MUCH MORE about your experiences at ANACS! I'll anxiously wait to read anything you remember.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@lermish said:

Ah.........a lot more than double wouldn't you say :o:o

Nah, I'm a young'un around here, not even triple Al's age!

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    how many holes are in the bourse?

Wednesday setup had quite a few, but yesterday (Thursday) I don’t recall seeing an open table. The weather breaks around noon today. So it might be pretty cleared up when everyone leaves. The question will be regarding the positions of aircraft from canceled flights in and out. I saw the number at 800 flights on Thursday.

• Options

We ended up with a little over 20 inches in Boulder County. Sun trying to come out now.

• Options

@Insider3 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@MrEureka said:

@Byers said:

This is very interesting and thanks for posting it. Now this info will not be lost to numismatics! And another thing... you, me, and just a few others even remember that at one time there was a Mint Lab. As I recall from the fog of history a Dr. Hunter ran it later. BTW, the last time I contacted the Mint (ten years ago) NOBODY KNEW THAT LAB HAD EVER EXISTED! That's funny, When I was at ANACS in Washington, we took error coins and new C/F coins over there to show them - including the new "Omega" fakes. They had possession of the Mint Die Records in large ledgers going back to the 19th century where we looked up the HR dies that were used. Unfortunately, I thought those ledgers would always be available to me forever so the only thing I ever copied were the dies used for Seated Dollars (This info was published in the Gobrecht Journal a while back). I think we copied info on the 1909 cent dies also. Unfortunately, I believe these ledgers have been lost.

Please write MUCH MORE about your experiences at ANACS! I'll anxiously wait to read anything you remember.

I did not know that the Mint Lab had a set of the Die Register books! They are probably still in the Mint somewhere.

The Newman Numismatic Library has a scan of most of the Denver Mint die register book for 1911-1925. I have used parts of it for my (as yet unpublished) book on the cents of 1922. I would love to see the Philadelphia and San Francisco registers for 1922.

Any generous soul wish to underwrite a Freedom of Information Act request for scans of any and all such die register books in the Mint's possession for deposit in the Newman Numismatic Library? I cannot do it because the Mint no longer speaks to me. I suspect that this is because I used to write about error coins, but I cannot be sure.

TD

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some reports and/or pics from the bourse?

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

Well, the snow in greater Denver ended this morning, the sun came out and it got up to 43 and the roads are pretty good this afternoon. Very few flights cancelled today and things should be good for people going home Saturday.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report (& pics)!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the photos.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2024 5:12AM

@Crackout said:
    Yes, I-25 south from Denver to Colorado Springs through Castle Rock, Larkspur and Monument can be quite treacherous when a lot of snow starts piling up!

On more than one occasion I've seen people do 360's in their vehicles when Surrey Ridge (on I-25) gets icy. One day I was witness to a slow speed (~10mph) 720 and then a smash into the guard rail separating I-25 North from South. Spectacular. Be careful and slow down a lot, when on Surrey Ridge in snowy, icy weather.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to drive down to the Springs for the show and we got about 10-12" of HEAVY slushy freezing snow in 24 hours.
    I'm just West of Denver. The snowfall depths were incredibly different just miles from each other. Ranging from a few inches out by Denver International Airport to almost 3 feet into the mountains.
    I worked remotely for a couple days and made a nice beef and cabbage stew. Good blizzard food!

In the morning it was the kind of snow that's partially frozen and basically turns to slushy solid ice when you push on it...or try to get hundreds of pounds of it off of your car.
    Hope everyone who got to the show safely had an awesome time!! Thanks for the mini reports! Next time for me :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks and reads like a still great show

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall, the show was actually a better one for us. Good sales, good conversations. Took advantage of the CAC crossover special. Didn't buy any coins, just a pair of Daniel Carr tokens, which flipped right into an ANACS submission. The snow was not a big problem for us. But I am now facing delayed flights. Better later getting home than getting to the show.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Why does ANA pick such a location in winter next to the rockies??
    No even close to be worth the effort/ cost/ danger/ flying or driving to find a few coins.

70+ sunny degrees in California. Oh I forgot the ANA does not like going west of the rockies!
    Last 8 years only one show west of rockies. If I recall rightly.

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Saturday morning with snow on the plains.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file