Options

Major League Baseball starts today

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

Gerrit Cole out at least 1 to 2 months

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭

I will still be watching every game this year but there is little interest here on the forum so will not bother posting here about the games for now. I still say they will have a decent year in spite of their lack of pitching.

• Options

Cease to the Padres. Preller does it again getting fleeced. Absurd return the White Sox are getting for him

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I will still be watching every game this year but there is little interest here on the forum so will not bother posting here about the games for now. I still say they will have a decent year in spite of their lack of pitching.

I think your passion for the Red Sox is clouding reality. When you don't have the horses, you can't win the big prize. No harm in watching every game, I know your situation and hope you enjoy the season. Until the likes of Cora (the cheater) are gone and management wakes up instead of hiding behind sabermetric nonsense and at some point keep those who have helped make the team winners, its gonna be a building experience for Red Sox Nation. Having squandered opportunities, I think management is now scrambling to establish a winning lineup. Let's keep in mind that Breslow must be hamstrung by the "parameters" (their word), set by the powers to be.

As far as not posting...you can't expect everyone to be excited about Red Sox posts, it's been that way for years. Only a handful of posters here are Red Sox fans. So, you may interpret as you wish. I will personally be amazed if the team has a "decent" year. IMO, with the way trades and signings have gone, I think they'll limp along and maybe win 80-85 games and not be contenders for even a wild card spot.

Just a taste here of what management has allowed to slip away...
    https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2023/10/05/boston-red-sox-heres-a-list-division-series/

• Options

I do understand there are not many Red Sox fans on here and those that are here are disgusted at how the team is being run.
    I am tired of it too and can switch to another game when they suck big time and tune them in again tomorrow.
    Red Sox management had sucked for years under Yawkey until this group came along and showed interest but they have gone back to sucking big time after winning a few World Series.
    Maybe we need a change of management once again!

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

I think there are many of us that would enjoy to read what you have to say about the Red Sox. I know I would.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

I think there are many of us that would enjoy to read what you have to say about the Red Sox. I know I would.

I will post now and again when I have something interesting to report but would like to hear from anybody that cares about the Sox more often!

• Options

Not looking good for Gerrit Cole. Cole is meeting with Dr Neil ElAttrache today who is the guy that does most of the TJ surgeries on high priced players.

• Options

He is an incredible pitcher and the Yankees will be in tough shape if they lose him for any length of time.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 2:59PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    He is an incredible pitcher and the Yankees will be in tough shape if they lose him for any length of time.

Hes already assured to be out at least 1 to 2 months, the question now is just whether or not its surgery time

Usually when guys meet with him some kind of surgery happens. I'm guessing the Yankees might be upping their offer that theyve had out for Snell for a while now

• Options

Yankees are trying to keep things vague, but Coles going to try rest and rehab after his meeting. It likely wont be until late May or June when hes back if it works

• Options

Rest and rehab is most likely not going to work.
    He is just putting off the TJ and it will cost him 2 seasons instead of one.

• Options

Its supposedly just inflammation that rest could fix but it does seem like most of the time some type of surgery ends up happening when guys are shut down for months at a time.

In other news with José Urquidy likely headed for TJ surgery the Astros have now begun a serious pursuit of Blake Snell

• Options

Eury Pérez the young stud in the making for the Marlins now undergoing an elbow MRI as well

• Options

A picture has so many different arm variations that are hard on the arm and elbow that it is hard
    for a pitcher to avoid TJ surgery.
    That. is one of the reasons they want long term contracts to protect them when it happens. There are pitchers now that have had it more than once.
    Owners do not want tp pay for a top line starter that is sitting at home collecting $30,000,000.

• Options

The futures game today was a sneak peak of what we will see later this year with all the great kids that are in the wings. I think Rafaela will be with the Red Sox to open the season. He is a fantastic center fielder . Myer will be up before the season is over. The young pitchers are coming on strong.

• Options

1 Bold Prediction For Every MLB Team This Season
    Story by Harris Ahmadzai, Dylan Fraychineaud

Boston Red Sox
    ©Eric Canha-USA TODAY Sports
    The Red Sox will finish last in the AL East for the third year in a row. Boston should be a more interesting team than last year. A full season of Tristan Casas could result in a 40-HR campaign. The trio of Jarren Duran, Tyler O’Neill, and Ceddanne Rafael is likely the fastest outfield in the league. Masataka Yoshida should be even better in Year 2. However, it’s hard to imagine the Red Sox making much noise in the AL East. The competition is too fierce, and Boston is already dealing with injuries to its pitching staff (Lucas Giolito is expected to miss the entire season).

• Options

Id be surprised if Rafaela doesnt get sent back down to the minors to start the year. The Red Sox arent trying to win and they can guarantee the extra year of control. They basically have to be sure that hed finish top 3 in Rookie of the year voting to get that extra draft pick and if they wait on calling him up he has to finish 1st or 2nd to get a full year of service time and them that draft pick.

They may start him out but baseball draft picks are very hit or miss and with their position I would guess they would value the extra year more, but I also would have guessed that one of the richest teams in the world would have been active in free agency and they werent. So who really knows

• Options

Snell signing for 2 years 62 million with the Giants. 15 million the first year with a 17 million bonus in 2026 and an opt out option after the first year. Second year is worth 30 million.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN reports Ohtani may play some outfield this year. Going to do some light throwing towards that end. EST 5:30am Wednesday Dodgers vs. San Diego in Korea.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    1 Bold Prediction For Every MLB Team This Season
    Story by Harris Ahmadzai, Dylan Fraychineaud

Boston Red Sox
    ©Eric Canha-USA TODAY Sports
    The Red Sox will finish last in the AL East for the third year in a row. Boston should be a more interesting team than last year. A full season of Tristan Casas could result in a 40-HR campaign. The trio of Jarren Duran, Tyler O’Neill, and Ceddanne Rafael is likely the fastest outfield in the league. Masataka Yoshida should be even better in Year 2. However, it’s hard to imagine the Red Sox making much noise in the AL East. The competition is too fierce, and Boston is already dealing with injuries to its pitching staff (Lucas Giolito is expected to miss the entire season).

I tend to disagree with his assessment. The young players are quite capable of stepping up to the plate (so to speak) and pitch very well this year. The hitting is going to get the job done with the addition of Raffella and Casas. They may not win the World Series this year but will make it a very interesting season for the fans to watch. You may want to get NESN before the season ends!

• Options

Boston very likely will be fighting for last in the East. They have no pitching and just lost another guy last night to a torn UCL which is almost certainly going to end up with TJ surgery. If its any consolation the Yankees probably wont be very good either. They have half their payroll in two guys that cant stay healthy with Judge and Stanton and now an injured Cole. Baltimore and Toronto should be 1 and 2 for the division

• Options

The Red Sox will be right there with Baltimore and Toronto with strong pitching from the young staff and timely hitting from the young hitters who have something to prove. I, for one, will be watching every game from Albuquerque on NESN and the MLB package.

• Options

Players have realized what a bad CBA they signed and a significant portion or the player leadership group is pushing for big changes with the MLBPA leadership

• Options

What more could they possibly want?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB has a very long season, commencing in mid to late February and continuing to the end of October or the beginning of November. About 3.5 months off and 8.5 months playing a season from staart to finish.

NFL starts the end of July and finishes the first part of February, for 6.5 months playing a season and 5.5 months off.

NBA starts at the last few days of September and plays until mid June, for about the same length as baseball (with half the games as MLB, with more days off for each team during the regular season, and with playoffs lasting about 2 months (while MLB's playoffs last about one month).

NHL is very similar to the NBA and MLB, with the start and end of a season being about 1 week ahead of the NBA season.

• Options

In my working days I would have done most anything to have had 3 and 1/2 months off every year and played a kids game the rest of the year !

• Options

Some here clearly have I R R A T I O N A L - E X U B E R A N C E

MLB AL East To Win Betting Odds

New York Yankees +160
    Baltimore Orioles +205
    Toronto Blue Jays +400
    Tampa Bay Rays +650
    Boston Red Sox +1300

Mark this comment...the Red Sox will win NADA this year, more than likely the same next year. No, I won't waste my money on getting any MLB package, nor NESN.

• Options

We shall see what happens as the games start next week.
    Baltimore seems to be the favorite.
    Either way I will get to watch some baseball again this year so I can't lose !
    Seven months of baseball games on MLB is well worth the the cheap money to me.
    It costs more to attend ONE game in person !

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers win game one!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

They should win a lot more than that this year!
    It will be interesting to watch them this year.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    What more could they possibly want?

A CBA that is actually beneficial to them. The last two CBAs have been big wins for the owners taking away basically all of the players power. The "competition committee" or what ever they are calling it now which determines rule changes has more owner representatives than players. As long as the owners vote together which they will the players are powerless to stop rule changes. We've seen a pitch clock implemented and shortened, the base paths shorterned, runners on second little league style in extra innings, 7 inning double headers, limited pick offs, the 3 batter or end the inning rule, reduced mound visits etc all implemented under this CBA. Some of the things the players would have agreed too others they would have blocked. Right now if the owners wanted to move the mound back or change the game to a 100 yard field with a football the only way the players could stop anything would be to go on strike.

The owners were smart and dangled a higher minimum wage to get the players to vote to give away all their power. The international guys from poor countries and rookies who just saw a pay day voted yes for it while the veterans were trying to warn them what it means if they vote yes. Meanwhile the MLBPA was also saying to vote yes when their job is supposed to be to have the players best interests and not be advocates for the owners. The current MLBPA leadership has done a poor job of sticking up for players as well.

Free agency is also a major issue. Too many teams arent even trying to win and aside from the super stars guys are struggling to get fair offers. Even if it cant be proven in court it would seem theres some level of collusion occurring with multiple teams low balling guys over and over. This has been getting worse every year.

Its so bad now that the Giants cut a player when he won his arbitration case against them. This has massive implications for players other than the stars if teams are going to start low balling players during arbitration and then just release them if they dont take the deal and win in the hearing.

With a new CBA coming up in 2026 its smart of them to try and get some changes in the MLBPA leadership before that happens.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 4:48PM

Othani long time translator fired over gambling debt that he claims Othani paid off and Othanis side now saying was theft. This will be interesting

• Options

J.D. Martinez 1 year 12 mil with the Mets heavily deferred. Looks like 4.5 mil will be paid this year and 1.5 mil will be paid annually from 2034-2038

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 11:59PM

Rafaela has made the Red Sox to open the season per Cora.

• Options

Seems pretty safe to say that Bauer is being blackballed. In the last two weeks Bauer was invited by the Dodgers to pitch against their minor leaguers and he dominated, and now today he just shutout the Yankees for 3 innings and made Stanton look terrible. Theyre having a scrimmage against a Mexican team and Bauer signed with the Mexican team promising to start 5 games for them if he doesnt get an MLB contract.

Ever since Japan he throws harder, his stuff moves more, he has a new pitch, and hell sign for league minimum with incentives. If someone doesnt sign him and the fact that he hasnt been signed seems like a lot of evidence that teams have been told not to

• Options

Pretty obvious!
    ONLY 4 DAYS TO GO BEFORE THE BIG SHOW GETS UNDER WAY !
    Is anyone else beside me excited yet?

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Pretty obvious!

I'm not excited, just curious.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Seems pretty safe to say that Bauer is being blackballed. In the last two weeks Bauer was invited by the Dodgers to pitch against their minor leaguers and he dominated, and now today he just shutout the Yankees for 3 innings and made Stanton look terrible. Theyre having a scrimmage against a Mexican team and Bauer signed with the Mexican team promising to start 5 games for them if he doesnt get an MLB contract.

Ever since Japan he throws harder, his stuff moves more, he has a new pitch, and hell sign for league minimum with incentives. If someone doesnt sign him and the fact that he hasnt been signed seems like a lot of evidence that teams have been told not to

I agree 100% guy is on the naughty list for sure. every team in baseball could use a starter like Bauer. There is a reason he is not on a team right now for short money

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Pretty obvious!

Nope, not in the least.

• Options

Two exhibition games today and tomorrow before a day off for travel and it will be opening day in Seattle for the Red Sox. GO RED SOX!

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

I agree 100% guy is on the naughty list for sure. every team in baseball could use a starter like Bauer. There is a reason he is not on a team right now for short money

I watched most of it but the announcers basically also went out of their way to not mention him. Funny enough the pitch tracker started "malfunctioning" and was turned off when it was showing he was being given a very small strike zone early. Id bet MLB was hoping he was going to get shelled because now they have no excuse for him being unsigned and everyone that watched knows it

• Options

Jordan Montgomery 1 year 25 million with a second year player option to the Diamondbacks

• Options

At least he was smart enough to not go to the high tax states where they eat a big salary away!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Pretty obvious!

Not any more or less than the last few years. Will tune in more when the baskets are over. Golf has taken over much of my interest.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Dodgers and catcher Will Smith finalizing a 10 year 140 million dollar extension

• Options
    edited April 6, 2024 1:38PM

Spencer Strider UCL damage revealed by an MRI today

Shane Bieber out for the year with TJ surgery

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Plesac no longer using black shoe polish to dye his hair.

• Options

MJ Melendez super clutch hitting for kc so far. Go ahead rbi in 3 straight games.

• Options

Orioles call up top prospect Jackson Holliday, son of Matt.
    Get those ‘first bowman card’ chrome autos while the getting is good! 🍺💰😎