Home Sports Talk
Options

Major League Baseball starts today

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

The Red Sox 1st pre-season starts at 1 PM with the Baltimore Orioles.
I have been waiting for this all Winter even if they don't have the best line-up I am excited!
Anybody else ready for some baseball?

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only get tuned up when the regular season kicks in. Do like the first week especially to see who is where with any player relocations. How the crowds are.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go SOX!!!

😱

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boston Red Sox fans already know how hard Rafael Devers can hammer a baseball. On Tuesday, they found out how hard he can hammer the front office.

The All-Star third baseman offered some pointed comments about the team's lack of offseason additions as he met with reporters in Fort Myers, Fla.

“They need to make an adjustment to help us players to be in a better position to win," he said through a translator. "Everybody in this organization wants to win. We, as (players), want to win. I think they need to make an adjustment to help us win.

“I'm not saying that the team is not OK right now, but they need to be conscious of what are the (weaknesses) and what we need.”

• Options
    edited February 24, 2024 4:17PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Boston Red Sox fans already know how hard Rafael Devers can hammer a baseball. On Tuesday, they found out how hard he can hammer the front office.

The All-Star third baseman offered some pointed comments about the team's lack of offseason additions as he met with reporters in Fort Myers, Fla.

“They need to make an adjustment to help us players to be in a better position to win," he said through a translator. "Everybody in this organization wants to win. We, as (players), want to win. I think they need to make an adjustment to help us win.

“I'm not saying that the team is not OK right now, but they need to be conscious of what are the (weaknesses) and what we need.”

Saw that

For a guy like Devers to go off like that it's not good

Apparently the interpreter didn't really interpret with as much anger as Devers did so it was a little subdued which is alarming

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭

Id be furious if I was Devers too. He was a year away from free agency and would have been a free agent now but signed an extension that makes him really hard to trade with a team that doesnt seem to care about winning. I'm sure they were promising their commitment to winning with his agent during the talks and then they go out and do nothing and all the rumors are theyve been ordered to slash payroll.

I wont feel bad for someone who will make 400 million, but the Os are in a prime spot to be good for years, the Astros arent going away and so on. He very well could end up spending the rest of his career on a mediocre team at best

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Id be furious if I was Devers too. He was a year away from free agency and would have been a free agent now but signed an extension that makes him really hard to trade with a team that doesnt seem to care about winning. I'm sure they were promising their commitment to winning with his agent during the talks and then they go out and do nothing and all the rumors are theyve been ordered to slash payroll.

I wont feel bad for someone who will make 400 million, but the Os are in a prime spot to be good for years, the Astros arent going away and so on. He very well could end up spending the rest of his career on a mediocre team at best

Exactly correct!!

As I said in another thread...John Henry has his prime interests in other sports, the Red Sox are merely his cash cow to fuel his other toys.

• Options

At least Devers has a ring. He is very lucky to have gotten it before this crappy owner decided to not care about the Sox or the fans

• Options

@perkdog said:

Saw that

For a guy like Devers to.go.off like that it's not good

Apparently the interpreter didn't really interpret with as much anger as Devers did so it was a little subdued which is alarming

Devers has been mentioned in the booth by Remy etal about frequent use of profanity in the English language. I'm sure you're spot on about the Devers' translation in terms of anger and expletives.

Sox lose to the O's today 4-3.

• Options

Its not MLB but is an impressive baseball feat with the college season already started. #2 Arkansas played #7 Oregon State and the Arkansas starter Hagen Smith struck out 17 of the 22 batters he faced including the first 15 in a row.

• Options

They had a lead going into the bottom of the ninth but a 2 run bomb ended it.
    I am just glad baseball is back.
    I will be watching how the Dodgers do this year as they are a powerhouse,

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    They had a lead going into the bottom of the ninth but a 2 run bomb ended it.
    I am just glad baseball is back.
    I will be watching how the Dodgers do this year as they are a powerhouse,

Enjoy it Tommy 🍻

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 6:48AM

Can't watch the braves w/o youtube tv this year. Gonna kill most bar watching options around here unless ballys deal is sorted.

• Options

Nothing is free these days and prices go up every year !

• Options

Bellinger resigned with the Cubs today. 3 years 80 million. Makes 30 million in the first two years and 20 million the final year. Has an opt out after both the first and second year

• Options

Gioleto looks like the real deal for the Red Sox.

• Options

Giolito only pitched 2 innings with just one K.

I'm glad you enjoy these games. I only get whatever MLB channel offers and have chosen not to get the extra innings package this year. I don't search for upcoming Red Sox games, Spring Training is mostly just tryouts for the wannabes trying to make the team.

I only recognize 2 names in the lineup among the others that played. I guess the spark just isn't there for me. I do hope they do well, but, I'm just not seeing it. I think they couldh've done much better then Breslow, but, he's in the boat now, we'll see how it goes.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Giolito only pitched 2 innings with just one K.

I'm glad you enjoy these games. I only get whatever MLB channel offers and have chosen not to get the extra innings package this year. I don't search for upcoming Red Sox games, Spring Training is mostly just tryouts for the wannabes trying to make the team.

I only recognize 2 names in the lineup among the others that played. I guess the spark just isn't there for me. I do hope they do well, but, I'm just not seeing it. I think they couldh've done much better then Breslow, but, he's in the boat now, we'll see how it goes.

They did a split squad game playing two but yea Giolito is a back end starter that pitched 2 innings against basically minor league guys. Spring training is about working on things not results, especially at this point. Their best guys were in the Giolito game against the twins and the rest were going against the Braves who played their starters for like 3 innings and used minor league pitching basically the entire time

• Options
    edited February 26, 2024 4:10AM

I see a trend here that doesn't bode well for teams that don't want to pay players what they want to play a kids game.
    They only sign a multi year contract guaranteeing them for one year with opt out clauses in case they have a good year so they can demand huge contracts the next year or just accept the amount they signed for if they have a lousy year.
    Smart for them but hard to deal with for owners and baseball teams trying to put together a good product on the field.
    There are multiple good pitchers out there now just holding out seeing what a monster contract they can get if they just hold up signing for a while.

• Options

How many times have I posted about obscene salaries paid to pitchers who play a kid's game??? A LOT !!!

Chris Sale is a case in point. However, he is not an isolated situation. I think that once a player makes the MLB level, they have a synapse issue where they suddenly think they're worth an fortune, not all, but many. You can look up what the Red Sox paid him and what his stats over that time show. Disgusting! The Red Sox history is rife with dumba$$ed contracts that have proven to be colossal failures. One doesn't need to be a math guru to simply divide the player's season salary by 162 and see how crazy they make in one day. In the case of starting pitchers who are in a 5-man rotation, they average 30 starts a season. Try dividing 30 into their salaries...it's eye-popping!!

BTW, Sale's stats for 2023...W6 L5 ERA 4.30 G20. You look up what they paid him. AND, the new trend is to pull the pitchers in the 5th inning, which would be a joke back in the day when you and I went to Fenway. Remember Kiely, Sullivan, Hurd, Kinder, etc??

I could go on and on, but I don't really care to support, nor cheer for guys in their 20s and early 30s who make demands that are out of this world in terms of $$. Of course this is driven by the greed of their representatives. This coupled with the creation of saber metrics which are used to provide useless data further indicating the value of players, or not.

I still don't see any acquisition the Red Sox have made that will improve their 2024 season. Time will tell, but I think it'll just be yet another mediocre season. I am glad they got rid of the attitude, Verdugo.

I know the Red Sox are really, really your thing, but for me, that ship has sailed.

• Options

Owners are at fault that pitchers are getting that kind of money and Red Sox owners are part of the problem as now they do not want to pay for what they have been doing for years starting with Manny Ramirez. Players are now working their deals with the opt out clause after signing a contract and leaving after one year if they have a good year or staying after stinking for that year as Cris Sale did.
    I believe Ramariz is still getting paid by the Sox!
    The Dodgers will be paying for this years signings after the players are in their graves!

• Options
    edited February 26, 2024 10:23AM

I haven't paid to go to Sox game in decades. I love the Sox but will NOT spend a dime to go to Fenway, it's just not happening

• Options

I have not been back to Mass in decades so only read about their prices.
    I pay for MLB broadcasts less than it would cost to go to one game.

• Options

Red Sox won a world series when Sale was their ace, that makes the contract worth it. But yes I would put more money into my lineup than pitching. Problem is the pitching approach works every now and then like the Diamondbacks with Johnson and Schilling and the Nats with Max and Stras. With the way the game has changed though we might currently be on the last batch of starters that are allowed to put their teams on their back like that. Very few starters are allowed to see the lineup the third time now so it doesnt make to give them a massive contract when you could give it to a position player that will play 90 percent the time

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Well, read some of the insanity of Red Sox contracts that blew up in their faces...
    https://bosoxinjection.com/2020/08/31/boston-red-sox-recent-dead-money-contract-albatrosses/

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Deferred money is standard for major contracts, very few dont have it. The deferrals make it cheaper for the team in real money and count less against the luxury tax. The only benefit to the player is an income source if they blow all their money or in the unique case of Othani being able to sign another top player since he makes so much in endorsements anyways

The Dodgers will be paying for this years signings after the players are in their graves!

Hopefully Othani wont be dying before the age of 49 when his final payment would be due

• Options

Matt Chapman 3 years 54 million to the Giants. 20 million first year, 18 million second year, 16 million third year. Opt outs after the first and second year

• Options

There are the opt outs again ! The same free agents will be popping up every year.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trouty rounded into mid-season form rather quickly. He's watching those high fastballs go by like he's the winning run in the bottom of the ninth in a game that matters.
    This was Thursday.

Then, after taking Friday off, this was Saturday...

• Options

Posting first week spring training at bats like that somehow proves a point about a HOF player is wild. The Angel;s will be bad and it wont be because of Trout, this isnt the NBA where one player can put a team on his back

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    There are the opt outs again ! The same free agents will be popping up every year.

For these contracts with Chapman and Belli the teams basically expect 1 maybe 2 years with the third year being there to save them a couple million in the luxury tax with these type of contracts. Its a win win for both the player and the team. If the player opts out the team got their moneys worth and were able to do it at a lower luxury hit. If the player has a bad year or gets injured they get them another year at below market value

• Options

3 years 126 million extension for Wheeler with Philly. Contract starts next year and no reported opt outs

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Posting first week spring training at bats like that somehow proves a point about a HOF player is wild. The Angel;s will be bad and it wont be because of Trout, this isnt the NBA where one player can put a team on his back

Trouty came to bat 3 times on Sunday, and struck out in all 3 of the at bats, while 2 of those times he went down looking.

Keep telling yourself that it's only spring training.

You know Trouty's taking the at bats seriously. There is a lot of pressure on him to show that he's healthy and that he's "back". And he sure is back, all right!

He's the same ol' Trouty we all know and love! Strike one, strike two, strike three, go sit down!

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 5:50PM

@countdouglas said:

@Basebal21 said:

Trouty came to bat 3 times on Sunday, and struck out in all 3 of the at bats, while 2 of those times he went down looking.

Keep telling yourself that it's only spring training.

You know Trouty's taking the at bats seriously. There is a lot of pressure on him to show that he's healthy and that he's "back". And he sure is back, all right!

He's the same ol' Trouty we all know and love! Strike one, strike two, strike three, go sit down!

Its spring training it literally doesn't matter and its the start of spring training.

• Options

Lucas Gillito has an injury to his elbow and they are doing tests to see how bad the injury is.
    Doesn't sound good!

• Options

Gillito is basically done for the year. Partial UCL tear and flexor strain. No reason for him not to just get TJ and try and pitch through it for a team that is going to struggle.

In other news and everything that is wrong with the current MLB, the Pirates have told Paul Skenes that no matter what he does he will not make the team. He is the best pitcher they have and they even went so far as to lie to him saying it would be unprecedented for him to make the team which it wouldnt be. Rare yes, but its has happened multiple times including guys that never even played in the minors going straight to the pros

• Options

Maybe this will light a fire under managements ass to pick up Montgomery now !

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Maybe this will light a fire under managements ass to pick up Montgomery now !

Bauer has very likely been blackballed out of the league, but the absurd part is that a team could literally make a rotation over night with Bauer, Snell, and Montgomery all unsigned still

• Options

Its simple guys, they want every penny they can get.
    Money is more important to them than baseball!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Its simple guys, they want every penny they can get.
    Money is more important to them than baseball!

You are correct money is more important than baseball, but you should have said for the owners not the players. Half the league isnt even trying to win unless they can do so spending little money. Bauer is a different situation where hes already said that he would play for league minimum with incentives, but because of his history being critical of the league and taking them to court and winning its not hard to figure out why hes not signed. Snell and Montgomery want to be paid what theyre worth and want extra to be on a team thats not trying to compete which is perfectly reasonable

• Options

I said before that Red Sox management needs to get off their ass and sign Montgomery or one of the players who have not signed yet. Actually Bauer would be my personal choice.

• Options

Six year extention for Bello !

• Options

I cant decide if Joey Votto signing a minor league deal with Toronto is just funny or sad. I get that hes Canadian and wants to play for the Canadian team, but if they were interested in that sort of publicity they would have given him a real contract. Vottos been bad for years other than that randon 2021 season

• Options

Fantastic afternoon for Devers and Bello in the Dominican Republic.

• Options

Giolitto having UCL surgery. Not clear if its going to be a full TJ or partial repair but he will be out for months.

Gerrit Cole is also going for an elbow MRI

• Options

Giolitto was sure a waste of money!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Yet another sterling contract by the clueless Red Sox management team, add it to the pile.
    Don't these potential signees go through a rigorous medical exam? One would think a focus would be on his ability to pitch.

I wouldn't get to excited about Bello, he could be next.

Gonna be a very, very long season for the Red Sox.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Don't these potential signees go through a rigorous medical exam? One would think a focus would be on his ability to pitch.

They have a psychical and teams have access to all their medical records from other teams. MRIs generally arent done unless its a massive contract. Most of the times these injuries just happen afterwards where nothing would have been found anyways even with an MRI

• Options

What the Red Sox do this season will depend on the young arms they are throwing out there every day.

• Options

It is now official that Giliito will miss the entire season but should be available for next year.
    Looks like the young pitchers will need to carry the load this year unless owners step up and sign an ace which I don't see happening.

• Options

Theres not really any point in the Red Sox signing Snell or Montgomery unless theyre going to sign both and then risk the wrath of the league and sign Bauer as well. They simply need to much help but pitching and hitting wise and one of them wont really make a difference this year