Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ever forget??? Updated 4/2/24

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2024 7:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know my memory isn't as good as it used to be, since I'm turning 66 next month, BUT... do you ever forget what coins you sent for grading? Looking at my current submissions, I was surprised to see that I sent in (2) Walking Liberty halves along with other coins. I had to pull out my copy of the submission form and check. I'm anxious to see what these coins look like whenever they are graded and returned! LOL!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have started a log book that I include submission type, coins, my grade estimate, value estimate, where the coin came from and label taped to page if it was a crack out. I also add dates that it has moved to the next stage of the process. Now I do not forget (as often).

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

No, I don't forget. Not yet, anyway. I do keep pretty meticulous records in a spreadsheet.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the same decade age-wise as you, @MICHAELDIXON, and so I have to build reminders in to lots of things! When I send coins out for grading or stickering, I put my hard copy of the order into a paper clip that dangles down from a rubber band by my home office bookshelf. The paper doesn't come down out of the clip until the coins are back in hand (and their grading/shipping costs recorded!)

I've also got a meticulous spreadsheet habit like @epc. Each coin gets its own row, and I've got a column for my notes and comments. When I type the phrase "not in hand" into that column, there's a conditional formatting rule that turns the whole cell red. I type "not in hand" there when I've ordered a coin but not yet received it, or sent one out for grading or stickering, or sold/consigned it. When the action is resolved and the coin's reached its final destination, I remove the phrase "not in hand" and the cell reverts to normal colors.

To help me keep track, I develop these little habits or processes - and then stick to them.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collective Coin is the best record you can use.

https://collectivecoin.com/

(in addition to a personal database of course) :):)B)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way! LOL

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I set the timer for my dinner in the kitchen by the time I walk to my office 40 feet away I forgot what the time was :o
    Coins, never................... :)

• Options

But...I never forget what I send in bulk! :D

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 7:31PM

Haven’t sent coins in for ages. Do banknote submissions - keep copy of submission form. Not somebody launch new subm until prior one back.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't submitted anything for grading in many years, but I forget everything about everything else and so like many of you keep detailed records in a spreadsheet with everything about every coin, including location.

mirabela
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have lost more coins than I can remember.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 7:51AM

Items over $10 cost I keep in an inventory spreadsheet. If item sells it is removed from inventory. Having a financial / accounting background I don’t lose coins or a handle on how biz is doing.

Don’t do many grading submissions and would not have multiple ones outstanding at one time.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait... why did I come into this room?.....

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember forgetting anything. The answer to your
    question is 350* for 45 minutes. Should serve 8-10 guests.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 1:45PM

@WAYNEAS said:
    I am in my 70's and had a clever response.
    Will post it when I can remember what it was.

Wayne

I've spent my whole life trying to make people think I was smart and now I intend to spend the rest of it trying to convince them I'm not a senile old coot.

I guess it wasn't very smart to say this. B)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once lost my glasses for 3 days! My wife found them in the freezer.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread and subject worthy of a response. And in all fairness, it seems that all of us are juggling many things at once. Some are just better at this than others. I have misplaced things... it happens. And rarely is it a problem. The one little test that I will test myself on after a submission is re-creating the submission 3-4 weeks later to see if I can recall the coins that were submitted. While this sounds bizarre, it really helps on several levels... what was submitted... the timetable in getting grades and it just might help at the greater question... What was it about this coin that made me buy and ultimately submit it for grading? I see all of this as a reasonable review of what we are doing.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is this? Where am I...............Ahhhhh, Hell with it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I once lost my glasses for 3 days! My wife found them in the freezer.

Just tell her you wanted to look cool. B)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 6:37PM

I still young so no. I only piggyback submissions at my LCS with only a few coins at a time so its harder to forget just 3-5 coins. Who knows when I get older :*

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t send Coins in for grading often, but I do forget from time to time what all I’ve got in my collection.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2024 7:51AM

How could I forget??? LOL! Other grades have not posted.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 73 and have basically stopped collecting. I don't see well enough to grade anything any longer and for the last few years I have been divesting myself of my life long collection. I started with Ebay and then found it was costing me money and a whole lot of time. Several years ago I sent my first grouping to Great Collections. They were initially all graded coins. Then I started sending raw and having them grade and sell them. I have been very happy with the results. I sent off my last big batch of over 300 raw coins to them last week. I can go back and look at my sale history and smile at some things, frown at others, but the frowns are my own fault for not being as careful a buyer as I should have been. I'm happy with my memories and am relieved I'm no longer chasing this coin or that coin or fighting the grading battle now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file