Options

Post the most beautiful coins you've ever seen ... not necessarily yours

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tjrarecoins said:

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

If you wanted one look on all your 20th century type coins this would be it. Used to be owned by a good friend of mine, and it's the most attractive Roosevelt Dime in existence (MS68+).

It's always important to remember that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I have no problem with you loving this coin, but it's not accurate to assume the everyone else loves this coin. :)

What's not to love about this coin? It's a MS68+ Top Pop 4/0 that exhibits some of the most spectacular toning on any Roosevelt Dime. I understand where you are coming from on "Beauty is the eye in the beholder" but in this case this is the type of coin that is universally seen as amazing.

It’s quite attractive, but stating that it is “the most attractive Roosevelt dime in existence” is quite a stretch.

I believe that was what @124Spider was pointing out.

The same thing can be said about the Antietam - the owner will at some point inevitably die, which means that it will eventually be for sale. Perhaps not for some time, but it will come up for sale.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 6:48PM

@tjrarecoins said:

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

If you wanted one look on all your 20th century type coins this would be it. Used to be owned by a good friend of mine, and it's the most attractive Roosevelt Dime in existence (MS68+).

It's always important to remember that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I have no problem with you loving this coin, but it's not accurate to assume the everyone else loves this coin. :)

What's not to love about this coin? It's a MS68+ Top Pop 4/0 that exhibits some of the most spectacular toning on any Roosevelt Dime. I understand where you are coming from on "Beauty is the eye in the beholder" but in this case this is the type of coin that is universally seen as amazing.

Since you asked....

There are people, of whom I am one, who dislike garish toning. I can like gentle toning, but I very much dislike when the toning takes over.

It's just my opinion. I don't like IPAs, either, and they're all the rage. :)

Not a big deal. But love of toning (especially garish toning) is not universal.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

It would be a good bet that any random coin collector would like it a lot.

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 5:37PM

@dcarr said:

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

It would be a good bet that any random coin collector would like it a lot.

Again, I understand that heavily-toned coins are very popular. But they're not for everyone ("good bet that any random collector would like it a lot" is not the same thing as "everyone loves it"). That's all I've been saying with each post. I'm not sure why that simple fact (and, yes, it is a fact) bothers people enough to push back.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tjrarecoins said:

This might be the prettiest Standing Liberty Quarter in existence.

There was one in an old type set album posted here a long time ago that was absolutely insane

• Options
    edited March 6, 2024 10:54PM

@tjrarecoins said:

Same comment as before; beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think that's pretty, much less the "prettiest one in existence." Many like toned coins, some of us really don't like toned coins.

And I have no issue with you loving it; my issue is with your repeated assertions that heavily-toned coins are universally-accepted as the standard of beauty. They're not.

• Options

@lablover said:

@tjrarecoins said:

I was the original owner of this Roosevelt; acquired it in a Heritage auction years and years ago in a ANACS MS66 holder. Through the years and several owners, it kept upgrading.

Wowza. Gotta love those color bumps. :smile:

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@lablover said:

I was the original owner of this Roosevelt; acquired it in a Heritage auction years and years ago in a ANACS MS66 holder.

Does this mean Heritage got it straight from the US mint?

I always wonder about the early history of coins like this.

• Options
    tjrarecoinstjrarecoins Posts: 45 ✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2024 12:23PM

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

Same comment as before; beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think that's pretty, much less the "prettiest one in existence." Many like toned coins, some of us really don't like toned coins.

And I have no issue with you loving it; my issue is with your repeated assertions that heavily-toned coins are universally-accepted as the standard of beauty. They're not.

Again, it's my opinion. It's a thread of what you believe are the most beautiful coins you've ever seen. There shouldn't be an issue with someone loving a coin in the first place. Also, my issue is your constant assertions that others can't have their opinion on a certain coin. If someone believes a true exceptional example of a coin is the prettiest in existence and you don't than who cares? It's their opinion and your obligated to disagree with it.

• Options

@tjrarecoins said:

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

Again, it's my opinion. It's a thread of what you believe are the most beautiful coins you've ever seen. There shouldn't be an issue with someone loving a coin in the first place. Also, my issue is your constant assertions that others can't have their opinion on a certain coin. If someone believes a true exceptional example of a coin is the prettiest in existence and you don't than who cares? It's their opinion and your obligated to disagreeing with it.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion! And, had you just posted that coin, without making the objective assertion that it "may be the prettiest...in existence," I would not have commented. But, as with the dime you previously asserted was the prettiest Roosevelt dime in existence, you asserted that this quarter might be the prettiest standing Liberty quarter in existence. Had you said "I think it's the prettiest in existence," I would not have argued with that. But I will always push back at a matter of opinion asserted as a matter of fact.

• Options

@tjrarecoins said:

@124Spider said:

@tjrarecoins said:

Again, it's my opinion. It's a thread of what you believe are the most beautiful coins you've ever seen. There shouldn't be an issue with someone loving a coin in the first place. Also, my issue is your constant assertions that others can't have their opinion on a certain coin. If someone believes a true exceptional example of a coin is the prettiest in existence and you don't then who cares? It's their opinion and you’re obligated to disagree with it.

I think we’re all ok here. @tjrarecoins, you’ll get a lot less leeway here than other places. Statements that aren’t factual that are stated as fact will be called out most of the time. However, I do see you changed your statement to be stated as an opinion, so I personally don’t have an issue with this most recent post.

@Floridafacelifter, I’ve come to expect and see the best from you! Those two look like beauties!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I do love big proof coins- thanks for inviting me to play!
    ![](https://us.v-cd> @Floridafacelifter said:
    This pair is amazing to me- they have spent almost 200 years traveling from collector to collector, always together!

Holy crap!

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@tjrarecoins said:

As beautiful as that dime is- and it truly is!- this one might give it a run for the money:

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 12:19PM

Alright, let’s keep the dimes rolling. Not the most beautiful coin I’ve ever seen but certainly one of the best toned dimes.

• Options

@braddick said:

@tjrarecoins said:

As beautiful as that dime is- and it truly is!- this one might give it a run for the money:

I agree this coin is spectacular, I've actually seen it in hand.

• Options

@lablover said:

@conrad99 said:

@lablover said:

I was the original owner of this Roosevelt; acquired it in a Heritage auction years and years ago in a ANACS MS66 holder.

Heritage Auction in 2005. Their images below:

Sometimes these Old ANACS Holdered coins can be monster finds.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 4:08PM

^ That's a mind-bending set of coins.
    Many don't even look real to me.

How does a coin from 1865 remain unmarked?

It reminds me of ancient glassware. The curator said that—being still intact—it signified family stability over centuries. Which is very rare in itself.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on the same level of gorgeousness as the 1951-S and 1955-S shown earlier but this does have an almost perfect rainbow on the obverse.

• Options

@robec said:
    Not on the same level of gorgeousness as the 1951-S and 1955-S shown earlier but this does have an almost perfect rainbow on the obverse.

I don't know Bob - I like that one just as much, if not more than, the other two.

It's not so over the top with color with the mostly white reverse.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tjrarecoins said:

@braddick said:

@tjrarecoins said:

I agree this coin is spectacular, I've actually seen it in hand.

I believe that was a Onlyroosie coin...?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@robec said:

I'd love to own that coin!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@tjrarecoins said:

@lablover said:

@conrad99 said:

@lablover said:

Heritage Auction in 2005. Their images below:

Sometimes these Old ANACS Holdered coins can be monster finds.

These are hard to find today, this one was from 2005.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one looks pretty cool. The colors. But if you think about how the color placement is viewed, It gives the impression of an oil spill. But that's just me.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I do love big proof coins- thanks for inviting me to play!
    ![](https://us.v-cd> @Floridafacelifter said:
    This pair is amazing to me- they have spent almost 200 years traveling from collector to collector, always together!

Holy crap!

A mini-numismatic mystery.

Why not consecutive cert #'s?
    What happened to PCGS cert. # 81877042?

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file