Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins thread****Got Grades!

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

2024 $5 Gold Proof...$717
    2024 $5 Gold Unc......$708
    2024 Three coin set...$836.25

• Options

Who's buying and what?

Or not?

From Coin News...........

Pre-Ordering Begins for 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins
    By
    Darrin Lee Unser -
    February 29, 2024

Debuting today from the United States Mint are six coins issued as part of the 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Program. Additionally, a special three-coin proof set is part of the release, all becoming available for pre-order beginning at Noon ET.

Coin News Link

• Options

Let's roll..................

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 11:42AM

Certainly one of the most worthwhile commemorative coins in a very long time. Without the perseverance, selfless sense of duty and work ethic of this generation we would not be free, and not likely be here at all. Those who pushed through the Great Depression, served on the home front and in the battlefield during World War II are indeed the Greatest Generation. What power on earth held a candle to the United States of America in 1945? Not one. That generation championed a great victory and took a backwater nation to the world superpower in less than five years. I am purchasing the coins not to make money, but to support the lasting tribute to the best this nation has produced.

I also purchased the three coin proof set, only my second gold purchase from the Mint, the other being the proof and uncirculated Apollo issues from 2019.

• Options

Three coin set ordered.

Won't ship until June!!!

Order #USM14475***

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered the 3 coin set. Love these coins and the bravery and sacrifices it represents. Great job by the Mint!

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

Wow, the price of the copper-nickel clad half dollar is more than half the price of the silver dollar! Is this normal pricing for mint base metal commemoratives? I had to double-check to make sure the half wasn't silver as well when I saw the cost. I guess it has been a while since I looked at the clad pricing for any modern commems,..

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 each of the silver coins

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    Three coin set ordered.

Won't ship until June!!!

Order #USM14475***

They also had an extended delay with the Harriet Tubman coins, yet mine showed up earlier in February, and these state shipping beginning April 5, 2024.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 12:06PM

@RedStorm said:
    Wow, the price of the copper-nickel clad half dollar is more than half the price of the silver dollar! Is this normal pricing for mint base metal commemoratives? I had to double-check to make sure the half wasn't silver as well when I saw the cost. I guess it has been a while since I looked at the clad pricing for any modern commems,..

Yeah, well, when you are paying $82 for 0.859 ounces of silver, the price isn't really tied to spot. Looked at another way, the proof silver dollar sells at a $62+ premium to its precious metal content while the proof clad half dollar sells at a $49 premium. Does that make you feel better about the pricing?

You are paying for the design, packaging, and to support the cause through the surcharge. The inclusion of a precious metal certainly increases the cost, but it is not meant to be a precious metal investment. Conversely, the absence of a precious metal does not significantly reduce the cost, since it only comprises a small fraction of it.

If anything, the half dollar is a much better deal, because you can have the coin, plus a bullion ASE, for right around the cost of the silver dollar. Do you think the price differential should be wide enough to accommodate the purchase of a second ASE?

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered the three coin proof set, one proof silver and one proof clad.

• Options

@erscolo said:

@Goldbully said:
    Three coin set ordered.

Won't ship until June!!!

Order #USM14475***

They also had an extended delay with the Harriet Tubman coins, yet mine showed up earlier in February, and these state shipping beginning April 5, 2024.

You're right, just entered a fake order and all GG coins will be in stock April 5th.

• Options

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ventris Gibson will be personally signing 250 of the COAs for the three-coin set. These are randomly placed in the boxes and sent to those who order. Good luck!

• Options

@JeffM said:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ventris Gibson will be personally signing 250 of the COAs for the three-coin set. These are randomly placed in the boxes and sent to those who order. Good luck!

Where did you hear this? I have not read any information that would confirm this. Please post your source. Well in any case, we will see once they are received by the public.

• Options

@MtW124 said:

@JeffM said:

Where did you hear this? I have not read any information that would confirm this. Please post your source. Well in any case, we will see once they are received by the public.

How's this?

https://usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-opens-sales-for-2024-greatest-generation-commemorative-coins-on-february-29

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 2:47PM

@NJCoin said:

@MtW124 said:

@JeffM said:

How's this?

Mint Link

Thanks for this @NJCoin. I can't believe that I missed that one, as I've been to the Mint site quite a bit of late. 😂

"The Honorable Ventris C. Gibson, Director of the Mint, signed 250 Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) for the 2024 Greatest Generation Three-Coin Proof Set (24CG). These personally signed COAs will be randomly inserted into unmarked sets and will be fulfilled when shipping begins. Preorder your set when sales open at noon on February 29 and keep your fingers crossed for a chance to be one of the lucky recipients."

• Options

@NJCoin said:

Thanks for that link NJCoin.

• Options

Now that gold is over $2,100/oz.....the prices of the gold commemoratives should be showing a price increase this week.

I was never good at doing the calculation per the Mint Pricing grid.

Anyone out there who can lend a hand?

Mint Pricing Grid

Kitco Gold

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

My calculation is that the cost will be
    “More than what the coins are worth”

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2024 4:29PM

@Goldbully said:
    Now that gold is over $2,100/oz.....the prices of the gold commemoratives should be showing a price increase this week.

Mint Pricing Grid

Kitco Gold

If it holds, we will go up one slot in the grid, from $2,000-2,050 to $2,050-2,100, and the price of the 3 coin set will go from $836.25 to $848.50. All other gold prices will also go up $12.25. Even though the current price is over $2,100, the weekly average won't be.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 5:12PM

@NJCoin said:

@Goldbully said:

Mint Pricing Grid

Kitco Gold

If it holds, we will go up one slot in the grid, from $2,000-2,050 to $2,050-2,100, and the price of the 3 coin set will go from $836.25 to $848.50. All other gold prices will also go up $12.25. Even though the current price is over $2,100, the weekly average won't be.

Thank you @NJCoin for explaining the Mint pricing as it relates to these coins.

edited to add: Starting to understand the pricing grid. 😉

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2024 7:05PM

Right, but this way, while more convoluted, is a lot more fair, both up and down, because it smooths volatility out over a week. This serves to moderate movement both up and down, theoretically stimulating demand.

This week is a perfect example. The sudden price spike would have caused the increase to be double what it is going to be by virtue of them validating the Wednesday fix with the weekly average, and then defaulting to the weekly average if it falls in a different range.

An average is ALWAYS a better measure than a single point in time. Which is why they are always defaulting to it, other than in cases where it is outside the current price range, in the opposite direction of a Wednesday fix that is also outside the current range, in which case they split the baby by just not changing the price that week.

• Options

2502 3 coin sets sold as of 3-3-24

• Options

You will have a 5% chance of getting an autographed COA in the three coin proof set, assuming all 5,000 sets sell. Just over 50% of that number have already been ordered, including one by me.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Mint sales figures as of March 3:
    GOLD PROOF 826
    GOLD UNC 669
    SILVER PROOF 15,408
    SILVER UNC 5,814
    CLAD PROOF 10,423
    CLAD UNC 4,957

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    US Mint sales figures as of March 3:
    GOLD PROOF 826
    GOLD UNC 669
    SILVER PROOF 15,408
    SILVER UNC 5,814
    CLAD PROOF 10,423
    CLAD UNC 4,957

Thanks for the Mint report. Those numbers certainly look weak for such an historic commemorative coin series.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2024 2:40PM

Three coin set: limited to 5000, signed COAs, no HHL and only half sold. Can you say “LOSER”

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    Three coin set: limited to 5000, signed COAs, no HHL and only half sold. Can you say “LOSER”

GREAT!!!!! I hope they don't sell any more. That would only make mine that much more desirable. People tend to not want things until they are told they can't have them.

• Options

These coins should be shipping this week, is that correct?

• Options

Just checked the Mint website, my 3 coin set has shipped UPS NDA.

Also got an email from UPS stating the package will be here tomorrow.

😊

• Options

@Goldbully said:

😊

My 3 coin set is still on Backorder

• Options

@MtW124 said:

@Goldbully said:

😊

My 3 coin set is still on Backorder

I assume you are not shipping UPS NDS.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@MtW124 said:

@Goldbully said:

No had them use USPS. I did see the other options though as of yet, I have never used them

• Options

@MtW124 said:

@Goldbully said:

@MtW124 said:

@Goldbully said:

No had them use USPS. I did see the other options though as of yet, I have never used them

One good thing, when we ordered on Feb. 29 the sets were $836.25, now they are $885.25 with gold in uncharted territory..
    ☺️

• Options
    edited April 4, 2024 5:56PM

I just received from the United States Mint shipping notice for the proof and uncirculated half dollars and dollars that I ordered on February 29, 2024. One order down and one order (done the same day but later) to go.

• Options

I got my 3 coin set today. Very nice! However, no signed COA.

• Options

My three coin set is processing.

• Options

My three coin set arrived today, now I have that and the four half-dollar and dollar issues for this commemorative set.

• Options
    harlanharlan Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

My order is listed as backordered, and it includes the set plus some singles... Order USM14478xxx

I don't have high hopes, as other "backordered" orders were unceremoniously canceled.

Collecting: Cents, Dansco 7070, Half Dollars, 1947, 1976, random pieces I like
    My PCGS Registry

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

My $5 gold uncirculated knocked on my front door yesterday. I really like it!

• Options

That’s a great looking coin santinidollar! Congrats!

• Options

The uncirculated gold piece is the only one I did not purchase from the set. I normally do not purchase gold due to its' price, but this issue was important enough to me to buy the three coin proof set. The gold piece is beautiful as well.

• Options

Nice looking Unc gold @santinidollar.

Today's pricing. These coins are up ~9% since Feb. 29th.

My three coin set was $836.25 on Feb 29th.

• Options

I am supposed to get my 3 coin set on Friday. Can’t wait.

• Options

@JeffM said:
    I got my 3 coin set today. Very nice! However, no signed COA.

Little chance of getting one in your mint shipment. If you want one you will have to buy it. >:)

• Options

Mail just delivered my three coin set this morning. Haven’t been home to open it though.

• Options

First Strike cutoff date announced.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file