Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin photography is tough!

Comments

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 5:48AM

I shut off the image stabilizer. This coin has incredible luster and it should show up here.
    The obverse has a gold tone and the reverse is a little more white.
    Again I used the label to focus.
    Same 55mm lens.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    What time of lens do I need?
    This is the only other lens I have.

That probably won't work unless you have a really tall copy stand. The "macro" setting on this lets you get as close as just over 3 feet away, measured to the imaging plane inside the camera. The imaging plane is marked on the top of the camera by a circle with a horizontal line through it.

This link has a bunch of 100 mm macro lenses for Canon. The Tokina lens, at $429 new will work fine. Reviews on B&H are generally trustworthy and useful. Used lenses abound on eBay, of course, but some will be for parts only.

• Options

So I need a 100mm lens for my camera. Is there anything else I should know?
    @robec mentioned that a zoom lens is no good. I don't want to buy the wrong lens.
    I'm going to try to find a used one if possible.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    So I need a 100mm lens for my camera. Is there anything else I should know?
    @robec mentioned that a zoom lens is no good. I don't want to buy the wrong lens.
    I'm going to try to find a used one if possible.

With a dedicated macro lens you will be able to get the detail that zoom lenses can’t get, even when they are in macro mode. When the camera is tethered to the computer the Canon EOS software will allow you to isolate an area of the coin and manually focus to pin point detail. As an example, with the shot below, if you double click inside the white area, another window appears with a magnified view of that area. You can manually focus the coin with even clearer detail.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2024 9:58AM

@robec that's amazing. I'm just a hobbyist. I'll buy a dedicated lens at some point. I'm just cheap. I am relieved to know it's the lens and not me.
    Will this work?

• Options

@Morgan13 said:
    @robec that's amazing. I'm just a hobbyist. I'll buy a dedicated lens at some point. I'm just cheap. I am relieved to know it's the lens and not me.
    Will this work?

That's the one I'd recommend.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2024 8:33PM

I took these tonight. These are probably my best DMPL Morgan photos I've taken yet but still needs improvement. I used a light box. Canon EOS T2i with Tokina atx-i 100mm F/2.8EF Macro Lens. If I don't use the light box I can't seem to get the dark fields. I'm not sure how to improve these.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    I took these tonight. These are probably my best DMPL Morgan photos I've taken yet but still needs improvement. I used a light box...

The light box is what is causing the coin to look flat. Flat is OK for the slab itself, but you need some shadows on the coin to give it depth.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shot this just the other night. It has amazing light bouncing off it from every direction. One thing coin photography can never do is capture the fleeting glimpses of dancing light that make up the in-hand viewing experience. With a camera, the best you can do is get one instance, without the context. Borrowing from Duane Blake’s now-defunct AURA concept, on a scale of 1-4 this coin is a 4, with a seemingly infinite number of optimum viewing angles under almost any light. It is AMAZING! Thanks Brain Wagner for finding this truly self-light generating coin.

• Options

@renomedphys said:
    I shot this just the other night. It has amazing light bouncing off it from every direction. One thing coin photography can never do is capture the fleeting glimpses of dancing light that make up the in-hand viewing experience. With a camera, the best you can do is get one instance, without the context...

Another issue is that you have two eyes, while the camera has one.

• Options
    harlanharlan Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Hope you don't mind my posting some practice photos. I would appreciate the feedback from all.

I just started messing with axial lighting.

• Options

I’ve never been a big fan of axial photography with coins. Most of the results I’ve seen and results I’ve actually made have ended up with good color and detail, but are completely void of luster. Thanks to a video I saw here on the boards a few weeks ago and with help from @spacehayduke in finding components needed to semi-mimic the setup from the video, I thought I would see if axial might be worth another shot.

https://youtu.be/Xgb0RR41shM?feature=shared

The biggest difference between this setup and the traditional axial setup is the angle of the glass used to deflect light to the coin can adjusted. The old way, the glass was stationary. With the use of an articulating arm the glass can be rotated around the coin and/or angle changed manually until the image is as close to what you want as you can get. With slabs glare is still a problem, but it seems the field will light up more without glare than they normally would shooting the traditional non axial method. I’m using a 3”x5” glass , but larger glass plates can be used.

The first coin I wanted to try out was a 1912 MPL. I had photographed it the usual way a few weeks earlier.

Using the new axial setup the coin shows a little better detail and more gloss/luster than I ever received with axial before. The line covering the date isn’t only a scratch on the slab it is more of a crack. A tiny bit of slab glare can be seen in the area 2 o’clock on the obverse.

Another coin I was dying to try out was a 1914-D. I was able to capture some color with my original non axial shot taken last year.

Non axial

Axial

Not every coin photo will be improved using axial but there are some coins that are very stubborn that can benefit.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @robec just noted, he and I have been going back and forth to get the optimal setup on our sytems for axial and to get the best images using axial. I showed some earlier in another thread, and I have been using 4 different coins to optimize, 2 of which I can compare to Great Photos and/or TruViews for the same coin. By doing so, and trying out multiple situations for light etc., I can also see where to avoid some of the pitfalls in my images so far. Back and forth with @Robec really helps. It is always great to discuss these things with other interested photographers, especially when they are among the best out there (i.e Robec). ;)

So the vid above uses a black cylinder to place around the coin to keep any extraneous light not from the reflected light source out. I see some advantages to that and have worked B&F w/ and w/o this on my system for the same 4 coins. However, at least for my system, after 2 weeks of experimentation, I can say I like my images better when not using a black sleeve around the coin, keeping it open. There are some subtleties in the light with or without. Here is an image of a silver eagle DCAM I produced today using axial, no black sleeve:

This image shows well the 'white' mirrors of the DCAM and contrasting with the frosted devices. As straight on shot, which will do when I switch from axial on my setup, should show the mirrors as black. Any small dark spots you see are not on the coin, but on the glass or the slab, axial picks up everything and although I constantly and carefully remove the 'dust' on these, it is nigh impossible to get them all - I need to get a can of air to blow off the last bits. Aslo, nicks in the plastic of the slab show up as dark spots, crucial to have a very perfect surface on the slab to avoid these.

Also, note that there seems to be subtle shades of gray for the frost on both sides of the coin. I am asking myself if this is real (I don't see it when viewing in hand), or if maybe my light source is slightly irregular, is the WB just slightly off (especially a point or two in tint), or ?????????????? More work to do to fine tune and perfect....................

Of note, this PR70 DCAM is as close to flawless as I have ever seen. Nice to see..........

For toned proofs, there is more to it, for example, getting the EC right when shooting to optimize further processing to finalize the images. So I am still experimenting to get images as close to my ideal as I can, a few more tweaks, a few more discussions with Robec and I will be there (I hope). Thanks to Bob for being so helpful.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@harlan said:
    Hope you don't mind my posting some practice photos. I would appreciate the feedback from all.

I just started messing with axial lighting.

……..
    Probably some of the sharpest and cleanest shots I’ve seen here. Well done in my opinion!

• Options

My question though, is how do you get the high contrast black background with frosted devices pictures?

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@ProofCollection said:
    My question though, is how do you get the high contrast black background with frosted devices pictures?

Straight on shooting - meaning lights right against the lens. The axial shots are good for bringing out the white mirrors, or bringing out the color for toned proofs. The straight on makes the mirrors turn black. I will do the Eagle DCAM soon once I am done with axial and post it here.

For comparison, here is the same Franklin proof shot with these 2 different techniques that highlights the differences.

Best, SH

When I shoot straight on, I get glare from the lights. How do you fix that?

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@spacehayduke said:

@ProofCollection said:

Straight on shooting - meaning lights right against the lens. The axial shots are good for bringing out the white mirrors, or bringing out the color for toned proofs. The straight on makes the mirrors turn black. I will do the Eagle DCAM soon once I am done with axial and post it here.

For comparison, here is the same Franklin proof shot with these 2 different techniques that highlights the differences.

Best, SH

Move the lights away from the lens but as close as possible w/o glare on the coin itself.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@ProofCollection said:

@spacehayduke said:

@ProofCollection said:

Best, SH

Move the lights away from the lens but as close as possible w/o glare on the coin itself.

BTW, I am not getting as much glare shooting CACG slabbed coins...........................

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    We're getting really close to where you need to be to have really good images. The ones you have are actually pretty dang good.

I think camera shake may be causing the blurriness. Use a timer (either 2 or 10 second depending on the age of your Canon) to shoot. This will cause a delay from between when you push the button and the picture is taken.

this is important - you want to have your camera setup on a separate platform from your desk. If you zoom in in EOS Utility you'll see just clicking the mouse will start it shaking if you have your setup on the same surface, and if your PC has fans those vibrations will reduce sharpness.

I'm surprised I don't see lens hood in y'alls setups, having the lights below the plane of the front of the lens will cause flare/glare, which is cool if you're JJ Abrams but not so much in numismatic photography.

• Options

also try cutting a milk jug to do this for proofs

https://youtu.be/SLSF86qdEfU?si=kfs27K14IdMcmRi7

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 6:36PM

I am really enjoying this thread. Coin photography has been a passion project of mine for eight years. A thread on another forum got me started. The learning and the constant improving is at least as addictive of the coins themselves. So enjoyable to watch others progress.

BTW you pro photographers are incredible. Just sayin’

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

A shot I took today. Not my best, but it’s what I have on hand.

• Options

I finally purchased a proper 100mm macro lens. Looking forward to it showing up.
    Next step will be to tether it up to my Computer as @robec has suggested.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec

Question for you - did your camera come with a tether? Thanks!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @robec

Nikon has tether software for free, but only for recent cameras. Same for Canon. Adobe Lightroom Classic is what I use to tether. You get it for free if you subscribe to Photoshop. Works well.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2024 4:13PM

@FlyingAl said:
    @robec

When I bought my first DSLR, it was one of those kits with a couple of lenses, cables and the software. The software for Canon has always been free. If it didn’t come with the camera it can be downloaded for free from the Canon website. I knew nothing about tethering until 4-5 years later. The cables that came with the kit was for downloading photos.. It wasn’t until later that I learned it was also used to connect to the computer.. But if the camera didn’t come with the cable they are very cheap @ around $20.

The newer cameras can be tethered by Wi-Fi.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2024 3:53PM

I received my 100mm lens today. I'm still trying to get the kinks out. I wanted to get an image up so we can all see the improvements as time goes by.
    I'm having a real hard time getting that perfect shot. I've tried auto and manual.
    I'm not tethered to my iPad yet.
    There is something about this coin. It looks so squared off and it looks like a wire rim on the obverse. Not 100% sure and I'm not about to crack it out.

• Options

Those are pretty good IMO. My suggestion is to use a white or black background. I'm pretty happy with these that I took yesterday for my ebay listing. These captured the contrast and deep mirrors really well. It's unfortunate this coin has the fingerprint and that area with the haze or whatever.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 1:59PM

Removed image.
    Better one down below.

• Options

@Morgan13

Those look really good. Can you do some obverse and reverse closeups?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 1:58PM

Alex I hope these are okay. Still working things out

• Options

Still some sharpness issues, but do you appreciate the working distance that the 100 mm macro provides you?

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me,
    Sometimes size matters.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    Still some sharpness issues, but do you appreciate the working distance that the 100 mm macro provides you?

Its awesome and a bit frustrating at the same time. I need to work this out. I have a decent camera and a beautiful lens. I think what I need to do now is as @robec said is tether it to a computer.
    In the meantime I will see what I can do.

• Options

I changed up the "one shot" to "AI Servo" seems to have made a difference. I think it pinpoints the target a little better.

• Options

@FlyingAl
    I made some adjustments after spending hours trying to get things just right.
    I'm happy with these images.
    What's your opinion?

• Options

• Options

• Options

@messydesk said:

I absolutely do. Now that it's dialed in I'm very pleased with the results. I keep making small adjustments but I feel my last shots are acceptable.

• Options

Not bad at all. You need more light in most of these, so put the lights closer to the lens.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    Not bad at all. You need more light in most of these, so put the lights closer to the lens.

Will do.

• Options

I finally purchased a copy stand. I think I bought a decent one and at a good price. It was made in Germany.
    It's used but in perfect working order.
    No bulbs.
    Now I'm hoping I can take much better images!
    I already sent Alex a pm with questions about bulb choices. Looks like it accomadate up to 250 watts.
    What type of bulb do you use and why?

• Options

@Morgan13 said:
    I finally purchased a copy stand. I think I bought a decent one and at a good price. It was made in Germany.
    It's used but in perfect working order.
    No bulbs.
    Now I'm hoping I can take much better images!
    I already sent Alex a pm with questions about bulb choices. Looks like it accomadate up to 250 watts.
    What type of bulb do you use and why?

I use 100 W equivalent daylight LEDs. They stay cool, making them easy to move around.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 watt LED's as mentioned above!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

This one took me a few tries to get right and I've been doing this now for 15 years. Several sessions over the past 2 weeks. So sometimes @Morgan13 it is not unusual to redo as you learn more about how the light, lens, etc. work together for a particular coin. The Kaiser stand is an excellent one. I use LED's with as much power as possible, 240W equivalent. They do get hot, but in your Kaiser lamp holders that will not be an issue.

Best, SH

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 5:58PM

After I “learned” how to do this, I photographed my entire collection. A year later, I redid it all. Same equipment, but my knowledge and experience had grown enough that the improvement was obvious.

Once you get the basics down, further refinements will happen over a lifetime.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file