Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint Liberty & Britannia Gold Coin

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    I have a "No Monarch head coins" policy. I've broken it a few times to get commemorative Queen/King Britannia's and every single time circumstances makes me regret it. So Sticking to my "No Monarch head coins" policy harder now.

1896 Alfonso Isla de Puerto Rico coins are my one exception.

So these coins are a pass from me.

Even though the US versions don't have any monarch heads? Fair enough, but don't blame it on your policy! 😀

• Options

The UK Britannia and Liberty 2024 UK 2oz Silver Proof Coin seems to be sold out.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not remotely interested.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Didn't realize there was a different U.S. Version.
    More tempting now.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

All of the gold except for 1/40th oz sold out in UK.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 3:35PM

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    Didn't realize there was a different U.S. Version.
    More tempting now.

Yup. That's where all the hoopla is coming from.

Joint design with issuance by both countries. Of course, each country has legal requirements for legal tender, but the joint design makes the offering special and unique.

Also, while you have a strict no monarchs rule, the UK issue is the more interesting one, due to a design shared with the US combined with FAR lower mintages than the US versions.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one doesn't have a place in my collection. Good luck to those who wish to seek it out.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

So when those would be shipped? I could not understand what they mean by 30 days order window!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2024 8:46AM

@Bullsitter said:
    5 per, get while you can.

With a mintage of only 10,000 and a HHL of 5....if these golden widgets were truly in demand, they should have gone immediately.

Not the greatest rollout for the Mint.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    So when those would be shipped? I could not understand what they mean by 30 days order window!

I'm not sure, but it's reasonable to conclude that they are not going to be minted until the 30 day window closes. I think I read somewhere that they are not going to be offered for sale after the 30 days. If that's true, it makes perfect sense that they not mint, or ship, until they have final order numbers.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the design of Liberty, the stars and hair look weird.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@NJCoin said:

I think I read somewhere that they are not going to be offered for sale after the 30 days. .

Really! So does this mean if the total orders after 30 days were 10,000 medals (for example), then the total mintage will be 10,000 and not 75,000?

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@Bullsitter said:
    5 per, get while you can.

With a mintage of only 10,000 and a HHL of 5....if these golden widgets were truly in demand, they should have gone immediately.

Not the greatest rollout for the Mint.

Eh. It is what it is. And, what it is is a joint project with the Royal Mint. They imposed order limits to ensure wide distribution in the event of demand exceeding supply. But, based on how they priced them, they were not exactly "priced to sell" at a 50% premium to spot.

It is a niche product that is priced accordingly. If it sells out, great. If not, whatever. There is certainly some demand, since the Royal Mint sold out 800 in less than a day at a comparable price.

The US Mint typically does much higher volumes, so 10K is not out of the question. But, if demand isn't there, so be it. They'll just adjust mintages for the next round, if there ever is one.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2024 9:48AM

@SilverPlatinum said:

@NJCoin said:

I think I read somewhere that they are not going to be offered for sale after the 30 days. .

Really! So does this mean if the total orders after 30 days were 10,000 medals (for example), then the total mintage will be 10,000 and not 75,000?

That's what I think I read, and is typically what a pre-order window implies. Back in the day, they offered some hot issues on a mint to order basis during a pre-order window, with no pre-set limits. This seems to be a variation on that, albeit with an upper limit of 75K.

According to coinnews.net: "At noon EST, pre-orders will be accepted for 30 days or until the mintage limit of 10,000 gold coins and 75,000 silver medals has been reached."

According to the Mint: "The United States Mint (Mint) will begin accepting pre-orders for products in the 2024 Liberty & Britannia Program on February 8, 2024, at noon EST. Orders are expected to begin shipping in mid-May."

I think it's pretty clear that they are going to accept orders for 30 days, and then make however many are ordered in order to avoid being stuck with unsold inventory. Whether or not this will create a secondary market spike when final mintages are announced, whether or not there are sellouts, remains to be seen.

• Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

The UK Britannia & Liberty 2024 UK 2oz Silver Proof Coin I ordered, has shipped already. I'll post a photo when I receive it.

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

@NJCoin said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

@NJCoin said:

That's what I think I read, and is typically what a pre-order window implies. Back in the day, they offered some hot issues on a mint to order basis during a pre-order window, with no pre-set limits. This seems to be a variation on that, albeit with an upper limit of 75K.

According to coinnews.net: "At noon EST, pre-orders will be accepted for 30 days or until the mintage limit of 10,000 gold coins and 75,000 silver medals has been reached."

According to the Mint: "The United States Mint (Mint) will begin accepting pre-orders for products in the 2024 Liberty & Britannia Program on February 8, 2024, at noon EST. Orders are expected to begin shipping in mid-May."

I think it's pretty clear that they are going to accept orders for 30 days, and then make however many are ordered in order to avoid being stuck with unsold inventory. Whether or not this will create a secondary market spike when final mintages are announced, whether or not there are sellouts, remains to be seen.

:) Thank you very much for this info! I did not know that! I would need to let my friends know this.
    I was planning to order just 3 silver medals as 75,000 mintage is too high. But now that it seems the final mintage could be much lower than that, then I would order more.......

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, so not that anyone asked but as a collector of GB coins AND US coins, including the scarcer "limited edition" silver eagles (sometimes gold if the bank account allows) I have ZERO interest in this conglomeration. I did like one of the alternative obverse designs but it was not to be, and so is my order.
    Good on ya for those that ordered....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@SilverPlatinum said:

@NJCoin said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

@NJCoin said:

:) Thank you very much for this info! I did not know that! I would need to let my friends know this.
    I was planning to order just 3 silver medals as 75,000 mintage is too high. But now that it seems the final mintage could be much lower than that, then I would order more.......

I just urge you to be careful. If the final mintage is a lot lower, there will be a reason for that, and there is no guarantee demand will suddenly materialize on the secondary market if it turns out that "only" 30-50K of these are floating around at 4x spot.

• Options

I called the mint about this coin and found out some interesting information that was a bit surprising. This is concerning the gold coin and not the silver medal.

1. The associate told me that once an order is placed it's locked in and you can't cancel the order or change your payment method. Your only option would be to return it within 7 days once delivered.

2. Since its locked in, if the price of the coin goes down due to gold price fluctuations your only option would be to order another one at the lower price and return one you bought at the higher price.

3. The coin is only up for 30 days and once that time has elapsed it will not be available

4. She told me the coin is expected to ship in Mid-May--though I seem to remember April 1st listed somewhere that I now cannot find.

This is different than the way other coins are sold. Usually you can cancel an order that hasn't shipped yet and it seems other coins just stay on sale until sell out. (The 2017 liberty is still on sale for example.) Perhaps the mint is trying to discourage people from cancelling and then re-ordering due to gold price fluctuations. I wonder if that's a reason it's only up for 30 days. Someone else speculated that perhaps this is to save costs associated with minting and storing coins that don't sell which I imagine is also a good reason.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday, 2-11 report.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

As I mentioned before I like the design and bought a UK 1/4 ounce in gold. Not as big of an investment but still able to appreciate it as a gold proof. Mintage was 700 and it sold out quickly.
    I think the US did the right thing by producing to order, if this ends up as 5000 in gold and 20,000 silver everyone is happy- low mintage and they got what they wanted

• Options

@Orlena said:
    As I mentioned before I like the design and bought a UK 1/4 ounce in gold. Not as big of an investment but still able to appreciate it as a gold proof. Mintage was 700 and it sold out quickly.
    I think the US did the right thing by producing to order, if this ends up as 5000 in gold and 20,000 silver everyone is happy- low mintage and they got what they wanted

I also liked the Royal Mint version of this coin but it was sold out by the time I checked. The presentation box was also a lot nicer than the very basic US mint packing--though it was more expensive in dollars than our coin. The UK version looks like it may come back in stock as a bullion version.

That being said, the US version has almost the same whimsical Liberty/Britannia design (only in reverse orientation). The difference being King Charles on the UK version obverse which makes it more of a traditional coin as opposed to the US version having the trees/ocean/sun on that side. I guess we had to do that, since we can't put a living President on a coin and who else would we have chosen? Not King Charles--though that would have caused an instant sell out and much controversy. lol

I think the stylization of the rising sun, the trees and ocean in between is kinda nice. I don't know if it will ever be that collectable, but the mint has sure put in a lot less effort on other coins.

• Options

@Numismetal said:

@Orlena said:

I also liked the Royal Mint version of this coin but it was sold out by the time I checked. The presentation box was also a lot nicer than the very basic US mint packing--though it was more expensive in dollars than our coin. The UK version looks like it may come back in stock as a bullion version.

That being said, the US version has almost the same whimsical Liberty/Britannia design (only in reverse orientation). The difference being King Charles on the UK version obverse which makes it more of a traditional coin as opposed to the US version having the trees/ocean/sun on that side. I guess we had to do that, since we can't put a living President on a coin and who else would we have chosen? Not King Charles--though that would have caused an instant sell out and much controversy. lol

I think the stylization of the rising sun, the trees and ocean in between is kinda nice. I don't know if it will ever be that collectable, but the mint has sure put in a lot less effort on other coins.

Royal Mint 1 oz silver proof is still available.

• Options
    AllLincolnsAllLincolns Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 9:23AM

Not dropping $3k on the gold version, but I do really like the design, it's interesting.
    I plunked down for the U.S. silver medal.
    For $89 bucks I'm not going to sweat it if these don't soar in value.

Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick a fork in it.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the gold sold out yet, as predicted here? Or forked?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Is the gold sold out yet, as predicted here? Or forked?

Fork. The Royal Mint sold out 800 pretty quickly, but demand on this side of the pond is insufficient to support 10K.

Which is fine, because they are going to cut off sales after 30 days, and that's all that will ever be minted. Maybe people get excited when they see 5K minted instead of 10K; maybe not. Either way, you can get as many as you want between now and March 9th, and then it's over.

• Options

@Numismetal said:
    I called the mint about this coin and found out some interesting information that was a bit surprising. This is concerning the gold coin and not the silver medal.

1. The associate told me that once an order is placed it's locked in and you can't cancel the order or change your payment method. Your only option would be to return it within 7 days once delivered.

2. Since its locked in, if the price of the coin goes down due to gold price fluctuations your only option would be to order another one at the lower price and return one you bought at the higher price.

3. The coin is only up for 30 days and once that time has elapsed it will not be available

4. She told me the coin is expected to ship in Mid-May--though I seem to remember April 1st listed somewhere that I now cannot find.

This is different than the way other coins are sold. Usually you can cancel an order that hasn't shipped yet and it seems other coins just stay on sale until sell out. (The 2017 liberty is still on sale for example.) Perhaps the mint is trying to discourage people from cancelling and then re-ordering due to gold price fluctuations. I wonder if that's a reason it's only up for 30 days. Someone else speculated that perhaps this is to save costs associated with minting and storing coins that don't sell which I imagine is also a good reason.

Thanks for the info. Yeah this new 30 days order windows is new to me......Hopefully the final mintage number for the silver medal would be very low.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:

@Numismetal said:

Thanks for the info. Yeah this new 30 days order windows is new to me......Hopefully the final mintage number for the silver medal would be very low.

It will be, as is demand. Nothing is going to support secondary market values for a medal bought at 4x spot. The Royal Mint is only offering 12,300 one ounce proof silver coins, not medals, and they have also not sold out while several other iterations of gold and silver coins have.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

@Numismetal said:

It will be, as is demand. Nothing is going to support secondary market values for a medal bought at 4x spot. The Royal Mint is only offering 12,300 one ounce proof silver coins, not medals, and they have also not sold out while several other iterations of gold and silver coins have.

I agree, I'm looking for 20-30 years of investment here.....So I'm not planning to sell them anytime soon.....I love my silver.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love my silver, platinum, palladium, and gold, too! But I am becoming less than less tolerant of feeling like I got Mint fleeced.
    This, some previous issues and probably alot of future issues, meet that criteria.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I love my silver, platinum, palladium, and gold, too! But I am becoming less than less tolerant of feeling like I got Mint fleeced.
    This, some previous issues and probably alot of future issues, meet that criteria.

I understand, but "fleecing" is a very relative term. If the demand is there, you cannot blame the Mint for wanting to capture the premium rather than handing it to us. As a result, 4x spot for a Morgan or Peace Dollar is not "fleecing."

These, OTOH, very well might be, which is why they are not selling. British 2 ounce and 5 ounce versions, at a tiny fraction of the mintage but comparable per ounce selling prices, literally flew off the website.

So, you do your analysis and make your decision. If you don't want to get "fleeced," however, you will be limited to unlimited mintage bullion versions, when they exist, if the goal is to invest in precious metals rather than to collect limited mintage coins.

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

:) I managed to order 5 silver medals before the deadline today. Hope the mintage would be low and they would appreciate in value in the coming years.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I’m in on the gold.

I think it’ll look great in high relief,

plus it’s the definite key of the Liberty series.

I’m already up $50 after the price increased. :)

Sold out now though.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I checked the sold totals as of the 3rd, were a little over 5000 on the gold. Doesn't look like a rarity to me...

As a reminder.... tomorrow is the LAST day to get one.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    Last I checked the sold totals as of the 3rd, were a little over 5000 on the gold. Doesn't look like a rarity to me...

As a reminder.... tomorrow is the LAST day to get one.

Nope. Although they said 30 days, they likely did not account for February only having 29 days. The on sale period ran from February 8th through March 8th, and is now over.

• Options
    NumismetalNumismetal Posts: 24 ✭✭

@goldbuffalo said:
    I’m in on the gold.

Sold out now though.

I bought it as well, but it's not part of the Liberty series--but correct me if I'm wrong please.

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Yes, it was gone about 2 hours back....Now they even changed it from "Remind Me" to "SOLD OUT":

• Options

About 20,000 silver and 5000 gold sold as of last Friday.

• Options

@Numismetal said:

@goldbuffalo said:
    I’m in on the gold.

Sold out now though.

I bought it as well, but it's not part of the Liberty series--but correct me if I'm wrong please.

@Numismetal said:

@goldbuffalo said:
    I’m in on the gold.

Sold out now though.

@Numismetal said:

@goldbuffalo said:
    I’m in on the gold.

Sold out now though.

It’s under the banner.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-programs/american-liberty/?_ga=2.19055544.12219464.1709947004-71799099.1709823800&_gl=1*1istcr3*_ga*NzE3OTkwOTkuMTcwOTgyMzgwMA..*_ga_804PW1F121*MTcwOTk0NzAwNC4yLjEuMTcwOTk0NzI4Ni41OS4wLjA.

• Options

If it is marked as sold out, does that mean they sold all 10,000?

----- kj
  • Options

And there are no returns for this item? Just sayin' ... hope all the buyers really like the coin and it's premium.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2024 9:21PM

@tincup said:
    If it is marked as sold out, does that mean they sold all 10,000?

No. That means that the predefined sales period has ended, and that they are no longer being offered for sale. "Sold out." I am quite sure they did not sell 5,000 gold coins in the first 24 days and another 5,000 in the last 5.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2024 9:35PM

@tincup said:
    And there are no returns for this item? Just sayin' ... hope all the buyers really like the coin and it's premium.

Who said that? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. No one who who had a problem with the premium was forced to purchase, but the Mint never said its return policy did not apply to this product.

Anyone who was unhappy with the pace of sales surely could have canceled their order, but I don't get why they would. Lower sales will only enhance values.

Anyone unhappy with what they receive, either due to quality or secondary market values, will be able to return it for a refund consistent with the Mint's policy. Except that there will be no replacements, because they were only minted to order and there won't be any more.

These might not do well long term, but there is no reason to think the secondary market value will crash upon release. No one was forced to buy, and it was clear there was no speculative frenzy when sales opened, so there should be no overhang driving prices down for the haters.

It's a premium priced, limited mintage, niche collector product. Not overpriced bullion, although that might be what it turns out to be long term. Unlikely to manifest within 7 days of receipt by buyers, given how many they sold and who bought them. Just sayin'.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@tincup said:

Who said that? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. No one who who had a problem with the premium was forced to purchase, but the Mint never said its return policy did not apply to this product.

Yep... you are correct; I was mistaken on this comment. From a post earlier, it appears that orders may not be cancelled once placed.... but once item is received, should certainly be able to be returned within the specified time period. But I have not verified the previous post on whether the order can or cannot be cancelled:

" The associate told me that once an order is placed it's locked in and you can't cancel the order or change your payment method. Your only option would be to return it within 7 days once delivered.

Since its locked in, if the price of the coin goes down due to gold price fluctuations your only option would be to order another one at the lower price and return one you bought at the higher price.

The coin is only up for 30 days and once that time has elapsed it will not be available

She told me the coin is expected to ship in Mid-May--though I seem to remember April 1st listed somewhere that I now cannot find.  "

----- kj
  • Options

should be pretty close to total sold:

24YA 2024 LIBERTY & BRITANNIA INTL. COLLABORATION 24K GOLD 1 OZ 5,525
    24YB 2024 LIBERTY & BRITANNIA INTL. COLLABORATION SILVER MEDAL 1 OZ. 32,904

• Options

@goldbuffalo said:

I don't quite follow. For example, the total you have for the gold version is 5,525 but the approved mintage listed on the website is 10K. Granted, it says "sold out" but that's because the order window closed I believe. It would seem a little over half sold according to your numbers.

By the way, where did you get those figures?

• Options

The US Mint puts out the numbers sold for various products; updates on a weekly basis. You can find it on their website.

----- kj
  • Options

@Numismetal said:

@goldbuffalo said:

I don't quite follow. For example, the total you have for the gold version is 5,525 but the approved mintage listed on the website is 10K. Granted, it says "sold out" but that's because the order window closed I believe. It would seem a little over half sold according to your numbers.

By the way, where did you get those figures?

Yep on the counts, was 30 day window.

Go to mint website and ‘about’ tab , production figures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file