Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint Liberty & Britannia Gold Coin

What do you think of the U.S. Mint Liberty & Britannia Gold Coin?
Would it be a hot coin and get sold out in minutes?
Do you think it's a good idea to order both the U.S Mint version now, then later on the U.K version (although no photo of that coin yet)?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I’ll be curious to see the response you receive . I may buy one from each mint for a set, but I’m not sure how many people will. This isn’t a world coin forum so many readers may not care much about UK issues.

The UK version will certainly have a much lower mintage so a set will be limited by their number. Maybe the two mints will package a set?

• Options

I think a large part of how quickly it will sell will depend on the price of gold at the time. I'm interested in this coin, but torn between this one and the Flowing Hair gold coin coming out later in the Fall. Who knows how much gold will be then?

By the way OP, here is a link to the Royal Mint version of this coin.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    I’ll be curious to see the response you receive . I may buy one from each mint for a set, but I’m not sure how many people will. This isn’t a world coin forum so many readers may not care much about UK issues.

The UK version will certainly have a much lower mintage so a set will be limited by their number. Maybe the two mints will package a set?

Nah. The US and Canada each did a set a few years ago.

They were very popular, with the Canadian set much harder to come by than the US version, although the only difference was the packaging. The thing is, the sets were not an afterthought.

If there was going to be a set, you'd see it on the Mint's website, even if the release date was TBD. It's not on the schedule because it does not exist. If you want one, you are going to have to put it together yourself, or buy from a dealer who undoubtedly will have them for sale.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mayflower set was a commem duo.

this is another attempt to draw n money and that's about it unless you find the designs compeling

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

If you’re into the American version of liberty being a Thai lady boy, then this is the coin for you. Just the beginning of what we can probably expect under the mint’s new “leadership.” 2026….. my hopes are dashed.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

The Royal Mint bullion version photos have emerged:

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is beyond my price range, so I pass each time. Others will no doubt enjoy the offerings.

• Options

Silver is where I’m headed. I only buy gold for very special and unique coins. The only way I would shell out $3000 for this issue is if I won the lottery.
    Nice design but not for that much. A quarter ounce would have been a nice option

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2024 10:53PM

For this coin I cancel the automatic subscription. I find it is the most ugly Canadian design ever. Where we go???. For this price I can have 1.35 oz of pure gold in bullion.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.... another gimmick. As usual.... pass for me. To be truthful, I find the old Franklin Mint issues more interesting than the modern US Mint issues. How times have changes! But to each their own.... If you like it, and can afford it, then certainly go for it if you choose.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2024 3:37PM

@silviosi said:
    For this coin I cancel the automatic subscription. I find it is the most ugly Canadian design ever. Where we go???. For this price I can have 1.35 oz of pure gold in bullion.

What automatic subscription? No such thing.

You actually have to sign up for each series. Coins not part of a series, like these, don't offer subscriptions. You didn't cancel anything.

In addition, it's not Canadian! If you actually had a subscription that you canceled, you might have known that.

Yes, bullion is always less expensive than limited mintage collector coins. That goes without saying, and is not a profound observation. If you are going to make gratuitous posts bashing coins you don't like, at least get your facts straight and don't lie about things you are and are not doing with your Mint account.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I talk about Canadian Royal Mint subscription, not US Mint waiting or other new comming.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

@silviosi said:
    I talk about Canadian Royal Mint subscription, not US Mint waiting or other new comming.

So you're talking about something that isn't this? Why?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should sell out quick. Is there a photo of the other side?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

As at least one other person mentioned, this is similar to the Mayflower issue in 2020. I would expect the same sort of price action which, ultimately, was similar to virtually all commems.

If you don't remember, the Mayflower coin sold out in the UK version quickly (lower mintage) but struggled to sell out in the US version. 3+ years later they still sell at a small premium but, like all commems, not as big a premium as at release.

Bottom line, as always: buy it if you like it. Don't buy it as an "investment". They never are.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

U.S. Version (Gold Proof):

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/liberty-and-britannia-2024-gold-coin-24YA.html

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@rec78 said:

U.S. Version (Gold Proof):

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/liberty-and-britannia-2024-gold-coin-24YA.html

The other side of the Royal Mint has Charles.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh and Ugh again.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uncreative combined with terrible customer service. What's not to like?

thefinn
  • Options

Get outta here- maybe a misprint or maybe they’re only minting 100, or maybe………

• Options

@goldbuffalo said:
    $3,020.00. :o

what's it from the uk?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

don't assault me too much, but there is a proof finish bump. the uk version looks ms/sp tho

• Options

@Orlena said:
    Get outta here- maybe a misprint or maybe they’re only minting 100, or maybe………

No, 10K. And the pricing is very comparable to Proof Gold Buffaloes, at $2940 with a mintage of 16K, Proof High Relief Gold American Liberties at $2965 with a mintage of 12,500, and Proof Gold ASEs, at $2900 with a mintage of 22,500.

You don't have to like them, and you don't have to buy them, but the pricing in right in line with other similar products (i.e., one ounce gold proof limited mintage numismatic coins). Notice that pricing goes up as mintage goes down, without regard to actual demand, or whether a particular item sells out.

• Options

UK goes on sale 9am tomorrow - no prices or mintage listed yet. @NJCoin I was just kidding- it gave me a jolt to see the 3k+ price, but as you pointed out it’s right in line with other items.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like it buy it to keep it. There will be no flip on these and resales will result it a loss.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

The UK version has been released today, and the silver bullion one is actually a coin rather than a medal (The U.S. Mint should have done the same):

• Options

I found out that the UK Royal Mint has a 2 ounce proof silver coin with 1500 mintage released today! So I ordered one:

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 8:18AM

See Spot run.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum said:
    What do you think of the U.S. Mint Liberty & Britannia Gold Coin?
    Would it be a hot coin and get sold out in minutes?
    Do you think it's a good idea to order both the U.S Mint version now, then later on the U.K version (although no photo of that coin yet)?

I think it's gaudy. I don't think it will be hot but may sell out quickly to loyalists or speculators , not numismatists . Am less impressed as I age, perhaps.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    The UK version has been released today, and the silver bullion one is actually a coin rather than a medal (The U.S. Mint should have done the same):

Congress has not given the Mint the authority to do the same. This is why the gold American Liberty coins are coins while the silver versions are medals. The Mint knows that coins are more popular than medals, and that producing coins would lead to more demand.

• Options

@fathom said:
    This collaboration is an answer to a question nobody is asking.

The same might be said about anything they produce, but, it is undeniable SOMEBODY asked the question, because SOMEBODY put time, effort and resources into producing it. And here it is.

And now, SOMEBODY is going to buy it, at significant premiums to intrinsic value. So, I have to respectfully disagree, even if others think it is superfluous and unnecessary.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

The same might be said about anything they produce, but, it is undeniable SOMEBODY asked the question, because SOMEBODY put time, effort and resources into producing it. And here it is.

And now, SOMEBODY is going to buy it, at significant premiums to intrinsic value. So, I have to respectfully disagree, even if others think it is superfluous and unnecessary.

Not meant to be literal but OK I will put it this way:

Few people are asking.

If it explodes in value and stays there then I am completely wrong, please let me know.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

This one is a hard no.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Build it and they will come.

The US Mint has their own version of that.... Mint it and they will come. And spend whatever price the Mint wants, and for computer generated designs that are cartoonish, or politically correct motifs, and mostly lacking in inspiration. The Mint has learned well and know they can put any design out there and they will come. Cash cow.

My Opinion Only!! May not apply to you. So certainly, if you like the designs the Mint is putting out, and are good with the price, certainly buy them if that suits you. I am good with that; to each their own.

----- kj
  • Options

@fathom said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

Not meant to be literal but OK I will put it this way:

Few people are asking.

If it explodes in value and stays there then I am completely wrong, please let me know.

I highly doubt it will explode in value. If they sell even half of what they are making, at the premiums they are charging, then "Mission Accomplished," and they answered a question enough people asked.

What happens in the secondary market is for the market to decide. Again, for all intents and purposes, flipping Mint products is dead. People interested in lotteries now have VB. They don't need to be slamming a website at noon on a given day for a chance to make their fortune.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    I found out that the UK Royal Mint has a 2 ounce proof silver coin with 1500 mintage released today! So I ordered one:

The 5 oz version is now sold out. Kinda sorry it didn't occur to me to grab one of those as well.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 9:49AM

@tincup said:
    Build it and they will come.

The US Mint has their own version of that.... Mint it and they will come. And spend whatever price the Mint wants, and for computer generated designs that are cartoonish, or politically correct motifs, and mostly lacking in inspiration. The Mint has learned well and know they can put any design out there and they will come. Cash cow.

My Opinion Only!! May not apply to you. So certainly, if you like the designs the Mint is putting out, and are good with the price, certainly buy them if that suits you. I am good with that; to each their own.

You are absolutely correct. But there is nothing wrong with it.

They are a government agency. If there is a demand, and they can generate revenue for the Treasury by meeting it, they should.

No one forces anyone to buy anything. But, if "they can put any design out there and they will come. Cash cow." they should, both for those who want to buy and for me, as a taxpayer, who wants the Treasury to have the revenue.

I certainly don't buy everything, and, in fact, have no interest one way or the other with respect to what people, or the Mint, do with the coins and medals I don't care about.

• Options

FYI: Monument Metals has the UK bullion version now on their website.> @NJCoin said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

The 5 oz version is now sold out. Kinda sorry it didn't occur to me to grab one of those as well.

I thought of it, but it was too expensive for me! However, I would be ordering the 1 ounce bullion as Monument Metals is carrying them today.

• Options

I suppose all of the aggressive negative comments are just part of the online culture we live in. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s that simple. You can just relax with the knowledge you are smarter and have better taste than the fools (like me) who liked the coin and bought it.

My retirement is already funded and I’m not depending on flip income to pay the bills.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 12:12PM

@Orlena said:

My retirement is already funded and I’m not depending on flip income to pay the bills.

Will your heirs sell it for melt and buy pot ? 😎

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

I have a "No Monarch head coins" policy. I've broken it a few times to get commemorative Queen/King Britannia's and every single time circumstances makes me regret it. So Sticking to my "No Monarch head coins" policy harder now.

1896 Alfonso Isla de Puerto Rico coins are my one exception.

So these coins are a pass from me.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 12:38PM

@HATTRICK said:

@Orlena said:

Will your heirs sell it for melt and buy pot ? 😎

Entirely their call. My greatest hope is that they make their own money, to do with as they please, and are not counting on being able to live off of what I leave behind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file