Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fabulous February Finds...Let's See Yours!

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith...

Nice '70 Bench in the preferred, valued grade 8.5!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Monte - yes it is my favorite grade as well!

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finished my Nellie Fox basic run. I will show the last two cards when I get them.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    I finished my Nellie Fox basic run. I will show the last two cards when I get them.

I never asked you, why Fox? I love player collecting and always like to hear the stories why certain guys started collecting certain players.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    edited February 13, 2024 2:54PM

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

I never asked you, why Fox? I love player collecting and always like to hear the stories why certain guys started collecting certain players.

He is in the HOF. His cards are affordable. He was a great contact hitter. He also helped a young 2nd baseman named Joe Morgan.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

He is in the HOF. His cards are affordable. He was a great contact hitter. He also helped a young 2nd baseman named Joe Morgan.

That's cool. There are lots of affordable HOFers out there for that kind of collection. Even ones that haven't played for decades. Several (F Robinson, Fergie) are unreasonably affordable.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

For HOF collectors there are two ways to complete something - finish a year or finish a player. It would take a massive lottery winning or finding out you were really royalty to get every HOF card. My secret goal which I can’t accomplish is to get every HOF card from the 50s to 70s and one card of every HOFer before that. Feels good to complete a year or a player.

• Options

@stwainfan said:

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@stwainfan said:

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

That's cool. There are lots of affordable HOFers out there for that kind of collection. Even ones that haven't played for decades. Several (F Robinson, Fergie) are unreasonably affordable.

That's true. I think Palmer is another one.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@stwainfan said:

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

For HOF collectors there are two ways to complete something - finish a year or finish a player. It would take a massive lottery winning or finding out you were really royalty to get every HOF card. My secret goal which I can’t accomplish is to get every HOF card from the 50s to 70s and one card of every HOFer before that. Feels good to complete a year or a player.

Yeah some of them I won't be able to complete.

• Options

@graygator said:
    The HOF collector discussion is relevant to my most recent pickup. Excluding negro leaguers and players who have cards only in the 19th Century, with this Grove I now have a playing days card of every other Hall of Fame player. My post-war collection is rookies, as is a significant chunk of my pre-war collection. The rare Cuban cards and Old Judges left for me to pick up are now too expensive for my budget. So while there are a couple of players who I may pick up an earlier card for eventually, I now consider this part of my HOF collection complete.

Congrats that is a massive accomplishment. Really cool last card too.

• Options

Awesome cards!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Wow those ‘77s and ‘78s are blazers!

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one sweet Hammerin' Hank. Congrats.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 6:06PM

@Cakes said:

@Stone193 said:
    I bought a bunch of 2023 TSC blasters - nothing exciting.

I did hit a milestone tho. 20 yrs here!

It's been fun and time sure flies!

Twenty years is fantastic, congrats! Thank you for all of the content.

Thanx Brian, very kind.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Won this one tonight and needed it for my high end Bench run. For some reason I sold a nice 8 a few years ago for no apparent reason, so needed another one to fill the hole.

Hiya Keith

Great centering and corners buddy. Hope things are going well. 👍

Mike
  • Options

Congrats on the Fox run.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Congrats on the Fox run.

thanks.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

That Aaron and Munson are fantastic!!!!

• Options

@graygator said:
    The HOF collector discussion is relevant to my most recent pickup. Excluding negro leaguers and players who have cards only in the 19th Century, with this Grove I now have a playing days card of every other Hall of Fame player. My post-war collection is rookies, as is a significant chunk of my pre-war collection. The rare Cuban cards and Old Judges left for me to pick up are now too expensive for my budget. So while there are a couple of players who I may pick up an earlier card for eventually, I now consider this part of my HOF collection complete.

Congratulations!
    Would have loved to see him pitch

• Options

Congrats on the Fox run. > @countdouglas said:

This finishes off my All-Time Record Holder subset, all 9s. I'm roughly 21% complete overall on the 1979 set, but it's not a set that I pursue very vigorously compared to other parts of my collection.

Love these cards. 1979 was the second year I collected and at the age of 7 I thought is was so cool that a Cub (Hack Wilson is in a Cubs uniform on the RBI card) had the all time record for RBIs in a season. Guess I was a stat nerd early on. Congrats on the completion of the subset.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    This finishes off my All-Time Record Holder subset, all 9s. I'm roughly 21% complete overall on the 1979 set, but it's not a set that I pursue very vigorously compared to other parts of my collection.

hey countdouglas
    Pretty Cool... :)

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think you overpaid at all. I do think one or a few sold for 2K plus a while back. This one is clearly high end, and I would as well have paid up if I didn’t have my own!!

@mintonlypls said:
    Not wanting to spend nearly 5-figures for a nice PSA-9 copy of this card...I was okay with setting a record price tonight (2/18) for the given grade for what is a very, very nice PSA-8.5...

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    That signed 1970 Munson RC sure is a treat to look at!

Always thought it would be wild to find the 1962 Managers' Dream card with the signatures of both titans-- if the sigs were nice and the card was centered. Finally came across one. Will get it reholdered for uniformity. Such insane talent having held the same card is awesome to me.

Also had my Mick RC get a card grade for uniformity— and they bumped the auto to a 10 :)

+1 For a Lefty Grove sighting— love looking at his stats on baseball reference.

That Dream card is a whale!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 5:14PM

Is the 1962 Managers’ Dream the only card with both Mantle and Mays?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Is the 1962 Managers’ Dream the only card with both Mantle and Mays?

They appear with Killebrew in a 1968 card. The Managers' Dream is their only card together just the two of them.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

That Dream card is a whale!

Thanks. Been tracking the card for about 15 years and it seems only 10 have been signed by both legends. I've seen a few just Mays and a few just Mick.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 479 ✭✭✭

Your 51 mantle is very nice. I am jealous.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2024 10:16AM

@DM23HOF said:
    That signed 1970 Munson RC sure is a treat to look at!

Always thought it would be wild to find the 1962 Managers' Dream card with the signatures of both titans-- if the sigs were nice and the card was centered. Finally came across one. Will get it reholdered for uniformity. Such insane talent having held the same card is awesome to me.

Also had my Mick RC get a card grade for uniformity— and they bumped the auto to a 10 :)

+1 For a Lefty Grove sighting— love looking at his stats on baseball reference.

Lefty Grove stats to me anyway show he’s the best lefty ever.

Super congrats! On the Dream Card.
    An absolute gem .

Any other cards signed by Gehrig?
    Believe he passed in 1941 because I have a signed Ruth from 1941 and believe it’s the same year.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

Not a pickup but an observation - I saw these at Walgreens. I seem to recall a time when these were selling for many times the retail price, and people waited in line for hours at Target just to have a shot at retail.