Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let’s play “Did it sticker?” Results posted

KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2024 4:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just got my results from CAC, here’s a few of them…. Anyone want to take guess how these ones did? If anyone wants to guess varieties, I’ll post those later too. Thanks for playing!

1. 1810 VF25

2 1809 F15

3 1813 XF40

4 1817 F15

Comments

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

In order, guessing 1 and 2 did not CAC but 3 and 4 did.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 1813 didn’t CAC, please dispose of it by sending it to me 😀.

I’ll let the real experts give their opinions. I can’t figure out the CAC formula.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning Ken!

My guesses;

1. maybe
    2. probably not
    3. God I hope so
    4. probably not

And that's based on the TV's, which are not very good IMO.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Good morning Ken!

My guesses;

1. maybe
    2. probably not
    3. God I hope so
    4. probably not

And that's based on the TV's, which are not very good IMO.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty
    I love your how you guess,😂. That’s pretty much how I feel when I send them coins.

I also agree about the true views, it hard to judge from them. But my pictures are even worse, so we will use the TVs to save me the embarrassment

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

1, 3, 4 CAC
    2, no CAC

peacockcoins

• Options

1-No, but thank you for trying
    2- They couldn’t find the roll of stickers, “Has anyone seen Susie the Sticker Girl” She was just here, oh well, nope not going to try to find her, we will just pass on this one…
    3- If he used GC and was selling yes, but since he is not, let’s reject this as “Not Worthy of being in the CAC sticker community “.
    4-Yes, let’s give him this one so he comes back again, we get paid for 4 tries and give him 1, we must maintain our 25% or less worthiness of being a member of our self anointed “snooty club”

I believe you should have gotten 3/4 but I think (and it’s quite early for that exercise) you received 1 out of 4 and 4 being the winner! 🏆

Scott

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only 3 CACd

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing only the last two cac'd

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

1813 CAC

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

I’m half tempted to say none of them. But I think they found the skin original enough on 2 and 4,, but it was close on 2, so if they were graded any day except Friday I’ll say only #4 stickered, if it was Friday I think they gave #2 as well.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 did.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is just a binary yes/no question then-

1) Yes
    2) No
    3) Yes
    4) No

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we are guessing from True Views (not a true indication of the coins in many cases) I believe none stickered. I like #4 quite a bit but rim bumps will hurt it in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

• Options
    jp84jp84 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

No, Yes, Yes, Yes.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played "did it sticker" last week, and didn't enjoy the game. So I won't even try here. But I will note, without further comment, that the fact that the guesses, by people confident enough in their understanding of the mysterious ways of CAC to be making guesses, are all over the place shows that I am not the only one for whom said mysterious ways are opaque.

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

No

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) no
    2) yes
    3) yes
    4) no

• Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

johnny O10 .. I agree

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

No, no, yes, no.

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

No, No, No, Yes

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your notes Ken. Please show a few more!

I figured the 1810 image didn't do it justice.

The 1817 is a very nice F15 technically, overall (IMO), so a bean doesn't surprise me on that merit, but the rim dings and bruises seemed to preclude it.

Just another few data points ... that won't make any sense later! :D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have talked with dealers who say you may as well flip a coin. I am beginning to think they are right.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    I have talked with dealers who say you may as well flip a coin. I am beginning to think they are right.

I don't know, I think statements such as that are just sour grapes. When folks get what they expected then they claim things are accurate at CAC, NGC, PCGS or CACG. However, when they don't get the grades or evaluations they want then everything is chance or how the grader slept the night before or if it was the day before a weekend or it's a flip of the coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 looks like a CAC all day.
    4 with the rim ding is why I said no; otherwise, nice coin.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

3. Looks artificially toned

4. If #4 is a true F15, #2 is not.

1. Looks nice; but, I can't grade

Don't ask me why my answers are appearing in huge letters.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s pretty obvious that JA values crusty, original bust halves above all else in the series.

But sometimes there’s coins that don’t sticker or only get a green sticker and I think… ok cmon now…

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the use of fresh PCGS TVs for this exercise. Really levels the playing field for those like me who have no clue what we’re doing :D

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 4 are coins I would happily buy without CAC approval..
    Although i would really love the
    13-103 if it was in a 35 holder rather than the 40 😂

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at No, No, No, Yes.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file