Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In memory of OAKSTAR.

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2024 10:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a nice toner 2000-P sac. @OAKSTAR always loved to go through dollar coins, and I thought that this is a suitable memorial photo( since I couldn’t find a speared eagle).

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 8:27PM

What happened to Oakstar?

• Options
    InlanderInlander Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Was it the post about cats?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping you just mean banned, or do you mean passed away?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I see he got banned....just freed up a spot on my ignore list!🤣😂

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked through his recent comments and didn't find anything that appeared ban-worthy. Does anyone know what the offending comment was?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I looked through his recent comments and didn't find anything that appeared ban-worthy. Does anyone know what the offending comment was?

There were a number of political comments over the weekend. Likely got deleted by the mod.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 5:37PM

:*:*:*
    I just hope he got banned, instead of the alternative!
    We lost too many here already.
    :/
    In saying that, it doesn't mean I wish he did get banned.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 2:39AM

@OAKSTAR Mar 17, 2022 - Jan 29, 2024

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that sucks. :(

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    He may be "reborn".

I know of at least one banned member who became reincarnated here under new identity and I'm sure there are a few others.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I as well am aware of one.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish him well, no matter the pseudonym. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was not a mean spirited guy. I see some that get banned because they get a little carried away, and others that get banned for being outright mean and combative. I didn't always agree with what he said, but I never took anything personally. God speed, @OAKSTAR !

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mod let me return about a month after the circle and bar. Maybe he can liven things up ATC for a while (I tried).
    I ain’t killing him off yet.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    Mod let me return about a month after the circle and bar. Maybe he can liven things up ATC for a while (I tried).

Banned means he's not coming back.

Good luck @OAKSTAR ! See you on the bourse!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whewww... just the Ban Hammer... from the title of the thread, my mind was going in much darker direction!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Content is shrinking—bad idea to ban him forever. He generates enthusiasm and posts.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now he can RIP in peace.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Fraz said:

Not under " Oakstar " I know one that was banned a few years ago. less than 24 hrs. later we had a new member. Didn't think anything about it, but as I'd bought a coin from him pre ban. then another several months later..... guess what, same address. He never admitted it on here or by P.M. nor did he deny it.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Fraz said:

Not under " Oakstar " I know one that was banned a few years ago. less than 24 hrs. later we had a new member. Didn't think anything about it, but as I'd bought a coin from him pre ban. then another several months later..... guess what, same address. He never admitted it on here or by P.M. nor did he deny it.

I hope he comes back. He seemed like a good guy.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 10:14AM

You’re a newb so you may not know — “In memory of [insert name]” definitely sounds like someone died — plus, a good way to get banned yourself is to start a thread lamenting the banning of someone else

• Options

@fathom said:
    He PM"d me an apology so that is worth mentioning.

We all make mistakes.

Nice that he apologized to you however in order to get banned he committed multiple violations and ignored warnings from the Mod. 🧐

Let's be real. He wasn't a saint contrary to what some are saying here. 🙄

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 2:25PM

@fathom said:

We all make mistakes.

He once made a political post. I suggested he remove it. He PMed me, mad because he thought i was disagreeing with him. I told him I just didn't want to see him banned. We had a nice chat and it was all worked out. He could be a little reflexive, but he always tried to work it out. I will miss him.

• Options

Ok. No one called him a saint but I am correct that in order to get banned he committed multiple violations and ignored warnings from the Mod. 🧐

Interesting how many on here are quick to defend a rule breaker.🧐

• Options

@Mizzou said:
    Censoring is becoming quite common in the United States, never thought I'd live to see it.

It is not censoring. The mods posted forum rules that we all must follow. If you break a rule you are warned by the Mods and made aware of what you did.

If you break a rule a second time you get another warning. Third time put in jail...then a fourth or fifth time you may get banned.

The Mods provide ample warning and several chances before an outright ban. By the time you get banned you either don't care or are too stubborn to stop the violations.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@fathom said:

We all make mistakes.

Nice that he apologized to you however in order to get banned he committed multiple violations and ignored warnings from the Mod. 🧐

Let's be real. He wasn't a saint contrary to what some are saying here. 🙄

Not a single poster said or implied anything remotely close to that about the banned member.

If Saint is the standard, it's going to get mighty quiet around here...

I don't think anyone tried harder than Oakstar to fix any problems he started. That says a lot about him as a person.

I never said you have to be a saint to participate in the forums but you do have to follow the rules or risk being jailed and then banned if you continue violating the rules.

I don't feel sorry for him. He had many chances to correct his behavior.

• Options

You all are too much. I will no longer comment on this subject.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @WQuarterFreddie said:

You all are too much. I will no longer comment on this subject.

It's a memorial thread started by friends of the departed member. If you were not a fan then you probably should not have commented in the first place. ;)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    He actually was a good, exuberant contributor quite often, but his political outbursts cancelled some of that out. That "any questions" shtick in his political posts got old quickly. I think his "Biden supporter" comment might have completed the ban.

Sorry to see @OAKSTAR banned. :/

He was in jail for a political post and if he made another one like mentioned by Elmer this is the reason he is gone.
    We chatted a bit over the last couple of weeks by PM, since we were cell mates we had plenty of time to talk.
    I told him to use caution while he was in jail and to make sure he did not post anything else political.
    I guess my warning and the moderators warning fell on deaf ears. :/
    If he comes back I hope he learned this is not the place for political posts.
    Anyone else thinking about posting political stuff just don't do it, you see what happens. ;)

I have been staying away from the forum so I don't push my luck. (too bad he didn't)

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 6:16PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Ok. No one called him a saint but I am correct that in order to get banned he committed multiple violations and ignored warnings from the Mod. 🧐

Interesting how many on here are quick to defend a rule breaker.🧐

I'll give you one thing--Every single post you make turns out to have been a waste of time to read (at best). I'll now find the "ignore" function on this board; congratulations!

I am one who detests when people make political posts on non-political boards. But your piling on, when you most certainly are not a "saint," on this thread, is remarkably inappropriate.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Riddance. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

is this the obituary?

(just want 2bnb4tl)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 6:26PM

The ban hammer is probably why there's like 6 people that post on kitco anymore, although the rules there are much looser - you gotta F-up, even in the open forums.

This discussion has been closed.