Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin that did not CAC and you thought should have

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2024 3:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is mine-
It's kind of a head scratcher for me. Looks right for the grade but what do I know.
This is not a cheap shot at CAC either.
It's solely my opinion vs. theirs.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Maybe more of an AU50 than 53?

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I looked and looked for the longest time trying to figure it out, and a friend told me a while back that JA was terribly strict on Saints. I now know why it didn’t bean.
    It was a impulse buy because I don’t even collect Saints but I really liked it.😂 Still do, even though it’s the only $20 I have that didn’t bean.
    >

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they didn’t think it was a 66? Where are the marks? Aside: terrible truview.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 6:09PM

I agree with all of them not stickering except the saint but JA is notoriously hard on saints with their legs and chest being focal points so that must be what cost you, that and the +. They are hard on 65s let alone a +.

-Terminal toning /mirrors

-dipped maybe too scruffy/chop damage for 58

-Residue

-burnt / dipped effecting luster

That said they are all really nice collector coins. I would buy the 75s with my own money raw let alone without a sticker.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan
    Do you have a photo of the putty? I could learn.

@oih82w8
    I agree! That’s a badass coin for AU55.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 7:34PM

@epc

Amazing coin.

Edited: what’s the issue? Reverse rim 6 to 11pm?

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 Not sure. The reverse rim roughness is typical of later die states. Here's a Goldberg's image from the Naftzger Collection, PCGS MS66BN.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 8:33PM

If I felt strongly about a particular coin that did not earn the sticker I would send it back for a reexamination, it happens on occasion, after all its just an opinion at that moment in time, a different day and a different opinion especially if they were on the fence and made the wrong decision that day. I love CAC just for their ability to reconsider such a happenstance

• Options

@johnny010 said:
    @DeplorableDan

>

Is it on the wing? On the big feather?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2024 6:02AM

@Bigtree said:
    I probably agree with CAC 95% of the time, but our opinions diverged on this one. It got red stickered for “original but lacking eye appeal.”

I bought it because I thought it had nice appeal :D . MS64.

Odd. I bought this one because I loved the eye appeal. Also MS64. And I got it stickered which I expected. Not identical but certainly similar.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@johnny010 said:
    @DeplorableDan

>

Is it on the wing? On the big feather?

I thought I remembered a spot but looking at these it’s somewhat streaky in that open area. Think there might be some on the feather tips too.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2024 12:11PM

@messydesk said:

If that slab had AU50 on it, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 6:00AM

p62. Obverse die severely rusted. Fields very quiet and strike is hammered. Enhanced tone?

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 7:47AM

A rare die variety as well, but CAC said "No."

;)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2024 7:23AM

The only coins I have ever submitted to cac have been though the great collections service prior to auction so no active pictures and I don’t want to call out other peoples coins. I was shocked with 50% of the results. A few stunning peace dollars in old holders didn’t and a few avg ones did. Most did what I thought they would as it was a hand picked set and I knew about the compromises but still couple of head scratchers for sure.

I suspect where I went wrong is they might have wanted blast white lustrous or sexy toned peace dollars where I preferred the layer of dusty /chalky matte toning/skin (don’t know how else to describe it but if you have handled enough of them you know). While it dulls the luster that comes though somewhat, I actually enjoy the pearlescent sheen of original old silver common on unmolested peace dollars and walking libs from the early 20th cen. Considering how luster plays into peace grading from the choice to gem range, I suspect it wasn’t quality but grade issues for some of them.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me a while to realize that I needed to be fussy. When I first started collecting I would look at coins as a whole. Now I have learned to really look deeper into a coins surfaces. The dings and nicks matter. Luster matters. Eye appeal matters.
    I made many bad purchases in the beginning.
    I think CAC is consistent with their opinion. Every once in a while they let one slip by that should have been stickered.
    I would also guess that they sticker one once in a great while that wasn't worthy.
    Nobody is perfect.
    It's not common to see a CAC coin that is or isn't worthy of the outcome.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this one had a great chance.

I even sent it back for comments and received “ancient cleaning” as the reason. 😢

I would purchase many more like it. 😉

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sticker on this as a 67. :'(

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 10:46AM

This coin surprised me in that it looked exactly like Gerry's photos. I figured from the odd dark indigo toning in the photo that the color must have been off. Nope. Perfect.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

For the darker circulated stuff Gerry's pics are very accurate. When the coins have color and luster some of the problems arise with "sunlight photography".

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davidk7 said:
    For the darker circulated stuff Gerry's pics are very accurate. When the coins have color and luster some of the problems arise with "sunlight photography".

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure he has very nice material but I haven't a clue what most of his coins actually look like. Then if you buy and have to send it back he gives you a bit of grief for that. It makes the buying process a bit difficult unless you see his stuff at a show (which I cannot).

jom

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought anything from GF that I couldn't see in hand because his images are TERRIBLE. He really needs to have somebody come in and revamp his imaging setup. Somebody should show him this thread, or better yet, maybe we should collectively stop derailing this thread and make a separate thread for it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    No sticker on this as a 67. :'(

Hey I remember buying that from you. Now I know why you gave me a good deal! 😅 Still a nice coin that sold for me pretty quick.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moparmonster said:

Hey I remember buying that from you. Now I know why you gave me a good deal! 😅 Still a nice coin that sold for me pretty quick.

Nice. I bought it raw at Harry's for $35 a few years back... B)

• Options
    MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

Great find!!! 😄

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file