Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade Feature on MyCollect is way cool!

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2024 5:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.mycollect.com/guessthegrade

If they add in more Mercury Dimes into the mix I might be able to climb the leaderboard a little. Otherwise, I'm not doing that great BUT....I'm not in last. Lol

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options

This is really fun and should be welcomed by those up north snowed in and not able to go to coin shows.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried this site once and it left a lot to be desired. Now they have games, so a focus on collection management will likely take second or third fiddle.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 7:02PM

I've had a guess the grade game on my discord server for years... Funny, we even call it guess the grade, and have a leaderboard, and a points system.

I would argue that ours is probably a little better because you can discuss the coin amongst the group of people all playing the game at the same time. It's a tool for collaborative learning as well as being a lot of fun.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@erscolo said:
    I tried this site once and it left a lot to be desired. Now they have games, so a focus on collection management will likely take second or third fiddle.

Collection Management is always being worked on. New sets are getting added all the time. Rome wasn't built in a day. As far as referring to this as a game, it is also a really cool learning tool, if you treat it that way. As Ian mentioned above, it will eventually allow people to work on their grading skills for a specific series of interest. This is educational, kinda like flash cards and you immediately find out the correct answer after submitting your guess.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2024 7:28PM

@FlyingAl said:
    This is pretty awesome! I'm shooting about 55%, which comes out to an average of about +/- 1 point per coin. I'll try and get that a little higher.

I'm obviously doing really well on series that I know, and poorly on others. It's a fun game to learn with.

I see you trying to catch me!
    Edit: You passed me. That wasn't too difficult. Lol

There's at least one YN in the Top 5!

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 7:43PM

I like it. A good grading trainer. I would like to have it by series instead of randoms.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, it’s fun, but it’s addictive, which is not good for me. Despite it being super educational, I have a LOT of other things to do with my limited time.

Secondly, I see the point system is rewarding participants that grade more coins. As such, my ranking in the game is higher than other participants that are actually doing better (more accurate grading) than me. That really isn’t fair. If I play a lot, but am not accurately grading, I should not be ranked higher than more accurate graders who choose to grade fewer coins. That feeds the addictive nature.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@Dropdaflag said:
    I like it. A good grading trainer. I would like to have it by series instead of randoms.

That doesn't reflect the reality of grading as a TPG grader tho. ;)

Thoughts after playing a few games.

1, Number of times played shouldn't have such a heavy weighting. There should be a floor to qualify for the leaderboard, (We do 100 games), and after that, how many you play doesn't really matter.

2, This is much easier than the GTG game I already play because it doesn't include details coins.

3, Having to do the strike and designation is a nice touch, but should be pretty easy for most folks that know their way around coins enough to find themselves on MyCollect. Also the subjectivity and changing standards of designations like PL/DMPL over time are a big reason why we opted to not use them.

Fun, nonetheless, as I expected it to be. I believe I have the highest average points and accuracy now, though those may be kinda redundant. :)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2024 8:35AM

Just tried it on approximately 20 coins. 32% accuracy confirms that I should only be buying slabbed coins. :) I did enjoy the challenge and look forward to it being segregated by series.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

Looks interesting, I'm going to register and give it a shot. Can you just ask for coins from a particular series, like say Saints and/or MSDs -- or do they come up randomly ?

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Looks interesting, I'm going to register and give it a shot. Can you just ask for coins from a particular series, like say Saints and/or MSDs -- or do they come up randomly ?

Random as of now, but Ian mentioned above there will subsequently be a feature to allow you to play by series.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭

Are all the coins moderns? I only did a half dozen but everything was late 20th century. just curious, are there any circulated coins?

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are circulated coins.
    Some hard ones in there!

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:

Are all the coins moderns? I only did a half dozen but everything was late 20th century. just curious, are there any circulated coins?

No. Plenty of old gold and Capped Bust and Seated material etc. I think I saw one or two Ikes as the newest material. Keep going...

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Dropdaflag said:

That doesn't reflect the reality of grading as a TPG grader tho. ;)

Thoughts after playing a few games.

1, Number of times played shouldn't have such a heavy weighting. There should be a floor to qualify for the leaderboard, (We do 100 games), and after that, how many you play doesn't really matter.

2, This is much easier than the GTG game I already play because it doesn't include details coins.

3, Having to do the strike and designation is a nice touch, but should be pretty easy for most folks that know their way around coins enough to find themselves on MyCollect. Also the subjectivity and changing standards of designations like PL/DMPL over time are a big reason why we opted to not use them.

Fun, nonetheless, as I expected it to be. I believe I have the highest average points and accuracy now, though those may be kinda redundant. :)

I never said it did. Just trying to sharpen my buying skills for my collection, not sell my opinion.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I like it, it’s fun, but it’s addictive, which is not good for me. Despite it being super educational, I have a LOT of other things to do with my limited time.

Secondly, I see the point system is rewarding participants that grade more coins. As such, my ranking in the game is higher than other participants that are actually doing better (more accurate grading) than me. That really isn’t fair. If I play a lot, but am not accurately grading, I should not be ranked higher than more accurate graders who choose to grade fewer coins. That feeds the addictive nature.

Steve

We're tweaking the rankings and bonuses for # of coins guesses to be a more level playing field. There will still be some kind of bonus for people guessing higher amounts, because it rewards the consistency of a high %.

It made me appreciate the challenges of graders - it's so easy to grade BU dollars one after another, but start throwing in circulated Barbers, high grade Saints etc. all together, and it's really challenging.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    FredSFredS Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

I got the first coin perfect and quit!

@FlyingAl should not be anywhere near first place, his accuracy is about the worst of all players, (60%) yet he is in first place? If PCI or Accugrade ever reopen, he has a solid future there!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

No. Plenty of old gold and Capped Bust and Seated material etc. I think I saw one or two Ikes as the newest material. Keep going...

I think one of the Ikes I saw had me yelling at the screen.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    edited January 21, 2024 2:35PM

It would be interesting to see if there's a tendency for specific coins or types to be over- or undergraded more than others. This information could actually be used as feedback into the photography so that attention could be put toward making photos of these types more optimal, meaning both consignor and buyer saying selling price was fair.

Edit: So is Ian crowdsourcing quality control for the photos?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a lot of fun. I started out with pretty good accuracy, but the more I play the lower my accuracy for some reason. I think I’m overthinking it rather that going with my first impression. I’m going to take a break and see if I can reset myself.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very cool. Nice work @ianrussell

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool concept.

I just did 1/3 of 1,000 coins (334). Ended at 60.3% accuracy. Right in line with what one might expect. When PCGS held its first “grand” grading challenge (sight-seen of course), I graded out at 75% in the dealer category (exact score of Stewart Blay who proudly posted his score on these Message boards). That score would have won in the collector category incidentally, but got “owned” by Mr. Halperin (who won in the dealer category).

So, here is IMHO very possibly the “margin of error” between grading from pics and grading live coins in hand (about 15% differential in accuracy). 60% accuracy looking at coin pics vs. 75% accuracy looking at coins in hand (with grades covered up). Makes perfect sense to me.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:

I am adding sets every week, the addition of GTG does not take away from the efforts on registry.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

I continue to get crushed in the sliders 58-64.

My accuracy was in the 59% realm when I had done 20-30 coins. My mistake is that I continued on and it’s dropping like a rock. :D

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, so far I'm #29. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

Thank you @ianrussell , this is a very good addition that has brought me back to MyCollect.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    FredSFredS Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Knowing who graded the coin would also help. And when and in what holder. (The 67+ Walker was a total joke. It is a 66 at best.)

That said, what a cool game.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Very cool concept.

I just did 1/3 of 1,000 coins (334). Ended at 60.3% accuracy. Right in line with what one might expect. When PCGS held its first “grand” grading challenge (sight-seen of course), I graded out at 75% in the dealer category (exact score of Stewart Blay who proudly posted his score on these Message boards). That score would have won in the collector category incidentally, but got “owned” by Mr. Halperin (who won in the dealer category).

So, here is IMHO very possibly the “margin of error” between grading from pics and grading live coins in hand (about 15% differential in accuracy). 60% accuracy looking at coin pics vs. 75% accuracy looking at coins in hand (with grades covered up). Makes perfect sense to me.

Wondercoin

I scored about 80% in NGC's most recent grading contest, but am at 60.8% after 1300 or so coins. I think about 15% difference between the two (in hand vs. online) is about right.

I don't think a score above 70% is doable for anyone grading a large amount of coins quickly. I think 65% will be about the highest scores we will see past 1000 coins, unless someone is taking a minute or two per coin. Serious dealers like Joe O'Connor who would otherwise be a finalizer at a TPG may break this rule, but that would be the exception. This seems to align with what we're currently seeing.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FredS said:
    Knowing who graded the coin would also help. And when and in what holder. (The 67+ Walker was a total joke. It is a 66 at best.)

That said, what a cool game.

It's only PCGS coins. Although it's in the subheading, people are missing this key piece of information - we're going to make it more obvious.

Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool game. Brought me back to Mycollect after not being on for a bit. The gold is crushing my score. Every one I think is AU is MS and vice versa. I'll stick with silver coins.

• Options

@ianrussell I would suggest adding more circulated coins, most of everything I see is uncirculated. :)

• Options

@bigjpst said:
    Really cool game. Brought me back to Mycollect after not being on for a bit. The gold is crushing my score. Every one I think is AU is MS and vice versa. I'll stick with silver coins.

Crunchy toned stuff is killing me.

• Options

Several players have mentioned how their score has gone down after the first 50, 100 or 200 coins. From playing with it myself last week, I found that I would go faster and faster after time, and that would cause a lower score.

Ian Russell
  • Options

I saw that happening to me as well. It's addicting for sure.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Very fun, very addicting!!

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@messydesk said:
    It would be interesting to see if there's a tendency for specific coins or types to be over- or undergraded more than others. This information could actually be used as feedback into the photography so that attention could be put toward making photos of these types more optimal, meaning both consignor and buyer saying selling price was fair.

We're actually going to eliminate some coins from the game based on a large % of really incorrect answers. So if 95% of people guess more than 3 points from the grade, that might be eliminated from the pool (and everyone that guessed will be adjusted accordingly). Team is working on the exact criteria for this.

Could you at some point share the coins that are missed most often/which coins have been giving people the most trouble? I would be very interested to know!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@wondercoin said:
    Very cool concept.

Wondercoin

I scored about 80% in NGC's most recent grading contest, but am at 60.8% after 1300 or so coins. I think about 15% difference between the two (in hand vs. online) is about right.

I don't think a score above 70% is doable for anyone grading a large amount of coins quickly. I think 65% will be about the highest scores we will see past 1000 coins, unless someone is taking a minute or two per coin. Serious dealers like Joe O'Connor who would otherwise be a finalizer at a TPG may break this rule, but that would be the exception. This seems to align with what we're currently seeing.

I'm taking about 20-30 seconds per coin and currently sitting at 77.2%. When I did my grading test at NGC, I was taking about 20 seconds per coin, slightly longer on gold since I wasn't familiar with it at the time.

I think top-tier scores with 1k+ games will be around 65-70%. There's a LOT of good graders out there these days, and Phils images are good enough to really nail down the grade within a half point a high percentage of the time, ESPECIALLY because they're only using PCGS and there are no details coins (yet?). Details coins are the one thing you can really get tripped up on with Phils pictures, because his style tends to hide minor problems like minute wheel marks or hairlines from a wiping. As for only using PCGS, well, PCGS and NGC grade certain coins slightly differently.

That's why I think we'll see 65-70% scores be the top-tier standard.

• Options

@ianrussell said:
    Several players have mentioned how their score has gone down after the first 50, 100 or 200 coins. From playing with it myself last week, I found that I would go faster and faster after time, and that would cause a lower score.

That's part of the learning curve of being a great grader. Diligence with every coin. That consistency is the toughest thing to maintain long-term, and the main reason why I didn't want to be a grader. I can do it for short bursts, 15-30 minutes at a time, but I just don't have that detail-oriented mindset to be that diligent with every coin for 8 hours a day, day in and day out, 800 coins a day, 40 hours a week. That is a TOUGH job.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:

So many gold coins have rub and worn places and are still MS. Very hard to judge.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

Do the coins ever repeat? Or are they one and done? Also are they random or in the same order for each person?

• Options
    edited January 21, 2024 8:17PM

@blu62vette said:

@bigjpst said:

So many gold coins have rub and worn places and are still MS. Very hard to judge.

What I've found with PCGS gold (Pre-33 at least) is you look for friction in the fields, not on the devices. That's the AU/MS line.

• Options

With the large hit right through the Bell Lines, I do not understand how this was graded as such.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    With the large hit right through the Bell Lines, I do not understand how this was graded as such.

PCGS only cares about the bottom set of bell lines.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's addictive.......

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Yep. Missed the FBL designation in the one Franklin I graded. Had marks through the lines. I said no. Wrong.
    As far as the gold with rub in the fields, that is the way I was looking at it. But still got the sliders wrong. And on the Saints I was downgrading quite a bit for hits compared to the graded coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file