Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Jerry Jones fire Mike McCarthy?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple question, will Jerry Jones fire Mike McCarthy after yesterday's disaster?

Will Jerry Jones fire Mike McCarthy?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    No

Jerry Jones statement yesterday after the playoff loss.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

1-3 in the playoffs with this payroll and supposed talent?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

oh yeah, JJ is going to fire him.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Jones stuck with Jason Garret longer than I thought he might. I think the problem might be with a quarterback who can’t come through when the chips are on the table. Still the Dallas defense didn’t show up either, and that is more of the coach’s fault.

I still think McCarthy has another year. He’s won too many games to get the ax. With Eagles in decline, Washington in the dumps and the Giants rudderless, the Cowboys are shoe-in for 2024 Eastern Division NFC title.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2024 6:11AM
    No

I don't think he'll fire him this season, but I must confess, I would love to see the Jerry Jones and Bill Belichick experiment.

• Options
    No

Got no guts, no heart, yesterday's effort was pathetic. Ex-Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson ripped into them on the halftime show, "You get your rear end in there and you play the way you know how to play,” a scowling Johnson shouted into the camera.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I doubt he makes the week

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yes Mr Jones was very disappointed and will hold the coach responsible

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    Yes

I think if it was at least a close game McCarthy might not get fired. But Dallas didn’t even look like they were ready to play, on their home field no less.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Good place for BB to land. He will get the all time record for wins due to the talent level in Dallas as well as their soft schedule. Also BB is rarely one and done in the playoffs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

McCarthy is the perfect "puppet" coach that Jerry wants. McCarthy's job is totally safe.

• Options
    No

This is what a real NFL coach sounds like.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@doubledragon said:

Jimmy Johnson is 80 years old. With his fire still at this age, can you imagine the number of Super Bowls this guy would have brought to Dallas if Jerry Jones would have kept him? Ug - it gives me a splitting headache just thinking about it. 😆

• Options
    No

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Jimmy Johnson is 80 years old. With his fire still at this age, can you imagine the number of Super Bowls this guy would have brought to Dallas if Jerry Jones would have kept him? Ug - it gives me a splitting headache just thinking about it. 😆

Jimmy is my favorite coach of all-time in the NFL, he knew how to motivate guys, he would use every trick in the book to get the best out of his players. I grew up watching those great 90s Cowboys teams, of course back then I always rooted against them, only years later did I come to appreciate that dynasty and become a fan of their greatness. One of my favorite games of all-time was the 94' NFC championship game, the 49ers and Steve Young, they had signed Deion Sanders that year and you could just sense that they were going to make a hard push to get Young that ring, but they had to go through the back to back champs, that was the Super Bowl for me that season. To this day, Michael Irvin is still bitter about what he believes was a pass interference non-call against Deion Sanders, fascinating stuff.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

i salivate at the thought of things completely going to hell in Dallas a couple of years from now and an 83-yr-old Jerry Jones and a 73-year-old Bill Belichick literally fighting each other

• Options
    No

@galaxy27 said:
    i salivate at the thought of things completely going to hell in Dallas a couple of years from now and an 83-yr-old Jerry Jones and a 73-year-old Bill Belichick literally fighting each other

I might watch pay-per-view to see that. 🤣

• Options
    No

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Jimmy is my favorite coach of all-time in the NFL, he knew how to motivate guys, he would use every trick in the book to get the best out of his players. I grew up watching those great 90s Cowboys teams, of course back then I always rooted against them, only years later did I come to appreciate that dynasty and become a fan of their greatness. One of my favorite games of all-time was the 94' NFC championship game, the 49ers and Steve Young, they had signed Deion Sanders that year and you could just sense that they were going to make a hard push to get Young that ring, but they had to go through the back to back champs, that was the Super Bowl for me that season. To this day, Michael Irvin is still bitter about what he believes was a pass interference non-call against Deion Sanders, fascinating stuff.

I'm not a fan of those teams, but I am a fan of good football, and for sure they had some great players on those teams.

It's one reason I don't begrudge at all the teams who beat the Eagles in three Super Bowls. They were better teams and they played better on that day.

I like Jimmy Johnson, but I don't really consider myself a fan of his. Although I do acknowledge his phenomenal coaching talent, and the fact that Jerry Jones royally screwed him, to the detriment of Johnson, Cowboys fans, and even Jones himself.

I mean firing a head coach after he wins two Super Bowls in a row? I'm not sure it gets much more pathetic and self-destructive than that. If I was an NFL owner and I had a great coach like that who won back to back championships for me, within reason I'd give him anything he asked. Firing him? Totally absurd, almost beyond comprehension. Has to go down as one of the dumbest moves by an owner in professional sports.

• Options
    Yes

@stevek
    Your Christmas wish is to have McCarthy around for a long, long time.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

It Jerry sticks to what hes been saying he will. If post game press conference certainly sounded like McCarthy wont be back

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the news crawl on ESPN McCarthy staying put with Dallas as coach.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    No

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-active-news-dallas-cowboys-confirm-mike-mccarthy-stay-as-hc-enters-the-final-year-of-his-contract/

Dallas Cowboys Confirm Mike McCarthy to Stay as HC Enters the Final Year of His Contract

• Options
    No

Next season is certainly going to be interesting, Mike McCarthy's final year under contract, no doubt a lot will be determined about an extension. Here is what Mr. Jones had to say about keeping McCarthy.

Cowboys' Jerry Jones breaks silence on not firing Mike McCarthy after playoff pain

Jerry Jones still believes in Mike McCarthy despite his recent failure to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

Jerry Jones is not losing his faith on Mike McCarthy despite the Dallas Cowboys' disappointing Wild Card exit in the 2024 NFL Playoffs. The team owner said as much on Wednesday after his decision to keep the veteran tactician as their head coach.

McCarthy's future was a big question mark over the last few days following the Cowboys' loss to the Green Bay Packers in the Wild Card round. It has been reported that McCarthy's status next season would be decided by how the team performs in their final game, and with that heartbreaking loss to Jordan Love and Co., many expected Jones to part ways with him.

Interestingly, Jones decided to keep McCarthy, at least for now as the head coach enters the final year of the season. According to Jones, he made the decision because they were “very close” to achieving their goals with McCarthy leading the way.

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach. There is great benefit to continuing the team's progress under Mike's leadership as our head coach,” Jones explained, via Adam Schefter of ESPN.

“Specifically, there are many layers of success that have occurred this season as a result of Mike's approach to leading the team, both with individual players and with our team collectively. Mike has the highest regular season winning percentage of any head coach in Cowboys history and we will dedicate ourselves, in partnership with him, to translating that into reaching our post season goals. Certainly, Mike's career has demonstrated post season success at a high level, and we have great confidence that can continue.”

Jerry Jones also defended Mike McCarthy's role in their loss to the Packers, adding that the head coach is not the only one to blame for the defeat. The Cowboys owner emphasized that everyone on the team shares responsibility for the loss.

“There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we're all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals,” Jones added.

As for the Cowboys' next steps, Jones revealed that they will start the “process of review and decision making regarding everything that impacts our team and roster.” He noted that while they are not going to address the contract situations of the players, they will make a deep “review and consideration” on the matter.

For now, McCarthy will continue as the Cowboys' head coach. Nonetheless, with just one year left on his deal, it also means he needs to prove in 2024 that he can lead Dallas to the Super Bowl. Another failed season would probably result to Jones and the ownership looking elsewhere for another man who can guide them where they want to be.

The Cowboys have now failed to make the playoffs for nearly three decades, with the last time they made it to the big stage being in 1995–during which they also won the title. Sure enough, they wouldn't want that drought to extend to exactly 30 years. The pressure is on McCarthy to make sure that doesn't happen.

• Options
    No

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

If he would have brought more Super Bowels to Dallas, I’m glad Jones let him go. ;) It pleases me. No Eagles’ fan should feel any different.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Yes

Well after watching another catastrophic defeat in the playoffs and very suspect play on the road all season Jerry will have nobody to blame but himself when the same old Dallas nonsense happens again come playoff time next season.

• Options
    No

As for McCarthy, winning the Eastern Division of the NFC should be no problem. The Eagles will be retooling or worse, Washington will be floating along and the Giants will still be wondering what happened from two years ago. If Jones expects to win it all, McCarthy will be unemployed. :p

• Options
    No

I think this also illustrates that Belichick's quest for another coaching job may not be as easy as perhaps he thought it might be.

I'm sure Jerry at least thought about it, and for a multitude of reasons, quickly brushed it aside as a bad idea.

• Options
    No

Nope, if Jerry says we're sticking with Big Mac, then we're sticking with Big Mac, he'll lead us to the promised land next season. I have all the confidence in the world in Mr. Jones and his decision making, Big Mac it is!

• Options
    Yes

@stevek said:
    I think this also illustrates that Belichick's quest for another coaching job may not be as easy as perhaps he thought it might be.

I'm sure Jerry at least thought about it, and for a multitude of reasons, quickly brushed it aside as a bad idea.

I disagree, the Cowboys have a good team and don't need to score much in the draft, they need a no nonsense disciplinarian type coach, the Dallas Defense under performs and that's why they get pushed out of the playoffs every year, Belichick is great on defense, the offense will take care of itself

• Options
    Yes

So next year should be pretty much the same as this year for Dallas. A good regular season followed by a quick exit in the playoffs because theyre soft and that’s not going to change with the current coach and QB.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    No

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I disagree, the Cowboys have a good team and don't need to score much in the draft, they need a no nonsense disciplinarian type coach, the Dallas Defense under performs and that's why they get pushed out of the playoffs every year, Belichick is great on defense, the offense will take care of itself

Well then perhaps Jerry blew it again. 🤣

The interesting thing is if Belichick doesn't receive either a perfect offer or possibly no offer, he may decide to just take the year off, maybe do some media work if he feels like it. Then if the Cowboys flounder again next season, Jerry hires Belichick two seasons from now. A long shot but I'm not throwing it out as impossible.

• Options
    No

@Darin said:
    So next year should be pretty much the same as this year for Dallas. A good regular season followed by a quick exit in the playoffs because theyre soft and that’s not going to change with the current coach and QB.

I agree with that, and add that as much as McCarthy isn't the world's greatest head coach, I think if ya gotta lay the most blame on one player or one "situation", it has to be Dak Prescott.

I've been following sports a long time, and it's clear that some players, could be any sport, are big game players and some just aren't. In a big game, some step up their performance. While some don't and actually play worse, otherwise known as choking.

• Options
    No

My problem with Dallas is this, you have to show up and play your a.. off every game, not just some games, every game. And Dak Prescott is missing a key ingredient , his stats look good on paper, but his stats don't tell the entire story, he's just doesn't have that killer instinct, that leadership, that fire inside of him, like Mahomes, or Allen, or Burrow. And he makes dumb mistakes, take this play for example in the first Eagles game, 4th and 8, his tight end Jake Ferguson was wide open in the middle of the field, could have caught the ball in stride, but instead he goes to a well covered Jalen Tolbert on the outside, it's stuff like this that drives you mad.

• Options
    No

@doubledragon said:
    My problem with Dallas is this, you have to show up and play your a.. off every game, not just some games, every game. And Dak Prescott is missing a key ingredient , his stats look good on paper, but his stats don't tell the entire story, he's just doesn't have that killer instinct, that leadership, that fire inside of him, like Mahomes, or Allen, or Burrow. And he makes dumb mistakes, take this play for example in the first Eagles game, 4th and 8, his tight end Jake Ferguson was wide open in the middle of the field, could have caught the ball in stride, but instead he goes to a well covered Jalen Tolbert on the outside, it's stuff like this that drives you mad.

I think what happens with some QB's who are not the best skilled at quickly reading defenses after the ball is snapped and the play progresses, is they decide ahead of time to key-in on one receiver, regardless of the coverage.

QB's such as Brady, Montana, and a number of others, because of superior football intellect and countless hours of practice with their receivers, almost instinctively can tell as the play develops, which of their receivers has the best opportunity to be open. It's the practice that allows a QB to know, and the receiver himself to know what to do after the called play is likely not going to work. They know how to improvise and run the patterns accordingly.

Julian Edelman was a master at this, as are other receivers. It's not some sort of accident. Him and Brady spent countless time together during the off season running patterns, and talking to each other about what they will do when the play doesn't progress as planned.

I have a feeling that Dak Prescott does none of this. He's content to run the play as outlined in the playbook, and that's about it. The video posted is a good illustration of this. Otherwise he could not have possibly missed that wide open receiver in the center of the field that would have resulted in a touchdown.

At this point in his life, set in his ways and wealthy, I can't see Dak making any changes, no matter how he's coached.

• Options
    No

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I think what happens with some QB's who are not the best skilled at quickly reading defenses after the ball is snapped and the play progresses, is they decide ahead of time to key-in on one receiver, regardless of the coverage.

QB's such as Brady, Montana, and a number of others, because of superior football intellect and countless hours of practice with their receivers, almost instinctively can tell as the play develops, which of their receivers has the best opportunity to be open. It's the practice that allows a QB to know, and the receiver himself to know what to do after the called play is likely not going to work. They know how to improvise and run the patterns accordingly.

Julian Edelman was a master at this, as are other receivers. It's not some sort of accident. Him and Brady spent countless time together during the off season running patterns, and talking to each other about what they will do when the play doesn't progress as planned.

I have a feeling that Dak Prescott does none of this. He's content to run the play as outlined in the playbook, and that's about it. The video posted is a good illustration of this. Otherwise he could not have possibly missed that wide open receiver in the center of the field that would have resulted in a touchdown.

At this point in his life, set in his ways and wealthy, I can't see Dak making any changes, no matter how he's coached.

I suspect you're right, I don't think Dak goes the extra miles off the field, his preparation, like Brady and other greats did, and it rears it's ugly head on the field at times. It takes a lot of hard work off the field to be great on the field, the long hours of film study, working with your guys, practicing your butt off when everyone else is out on the town, things like that. I remember a photo I saw in a book one time of Michael Jordan shooting free throws in the Bulls arena with the janitor sweeping the floor around him, it was just him and the janitor in the arena, and the caption said something like, "while everyone is sleeping, Jordan is perfecting his craft." That's the kind of work ethic that pays off. I'm not saying Dak isn't a hard worker, but you have to go that extra mile if you want to achieve that kind of greatness. The extra hours in the film room, get your receivers on the side and go over plays, practice throwing more and sharpen your accuracy, things like that.

• Options
    No

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I suspect you're right, I don't think Dak goes the extra miles off the field, his preparation, like Brady and other greats did, and it rears it's ugly head on the field at times. It takes a lot of hard work off the field to be great on the field, the long hours of film study, working with your guys, practicing your butt off when everyone else is out on the town, things like that. I remember a photo I saw in a book one time of Michael Jordan shooting free throws in the Bulls arena with the janitor sweeping the floor around him, it was just him and the janitor in the arena, and the caption said something like, "while everyone is sleeping, Jordan is perfecting his craft." That's the kind of work ethic that pays off. I'm not saying Dak isn't a hard worker, but you have to go that extra mile if you want to achieve that kind of greatness. The extra hours in the film room, get your receivers on the side and go over plays, practice throwing more and sharpen your accuracy, things like that.

I think a basic problem these days is the top players receive so much money coming out of the draft, that they lose their incentive for greatness. Not all, but I think most. I mean they receive lifetime retirement money all at once. So why be motivated to spend the off season at hard work perfecting your craft? Just do the basics, receive the checks, and if your team wins then they win, and if they don't then who cares.

Tom Brady stated recently, paraphrase, that the overall performance level of the NFL has declined. I agree with him.

• Options
    No

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I think a basic problem these days is the top players receive so much money coming out of the draft, that they lose their incentive for greatness. Not all, but I think most. I mean they receive lifetime retirement money all at once. So why be motivated to spend the off season at hard work perfecting your craft? Just do the basics, receive the checks, and if your team wins then they win, and if they don't then who cares.

Tom Brady stated recently, paraphrase, that the overall performance level of the NFL has declined. I agree with him.

I loved the way Brady went about his job, worked his butt off, trally wanted to be great. It's the same way with boxing these days, guys get these huge paychecks and the next thing you know they're sitting around for a year before they fight again, you can't get the two best guys in a division to fight each other because they're already filthy rich from their last fight, they just take their sweet time about it, it disgusts me, and it's no wonder people don't follow boxing anymore. I think Jerry Jones sees Dak's stats and probably thinks hes got an elite quarterback, I don't think Mr. Jones is going to be getting that Super Bowl ring as long as Prescott is his guy.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've been banging this drum for years -- i'm of the firm belief that Dallas will never make it to the promised land with Dak. nothing personal, i just don't think he's nearly as good as people make him out to be. all of the MVP talk a month or so ago just made me roll my damn eyes. sure, he looks great at times, but just be patient and he'll eventually show you his true colors...........especially when it matters most.

when i watch him play, i don't see an upper echelon QB. i see a quarterback who has the capability of putting up big numbers against inferior defenses at times, but when big games roll around he's completely exposed. look at how ugly the games against San Fran and GB last week were for him and the Cowboys. they get taken behind the woodshed and get the hell beaten out of them. did Tom Brady allow things like that to happen? get real. when the Cowboys get punched in the mouth, are you ever under the impression that Dak is going to strap the team on his back and propel them to victory? never. the team wilts like a flower because Dak is fool's gold.

zero in on his play sometime. when there's a window with his #1 option -- which is usually CeeDee Lamb -- he can stick it within his catch radius. but when he's forced to go through his progressions and consider options 2, 3, or 4, that's when the fun starts. it's like there's an implosion between his ears. next thing you know, he uncorks a very ugly, ill-advised pass. last week he threw one beautiful touchdown to the Packers and it was very nearly two.

p-o-s-e-r

• Options
    No

@doubledragon said:
    Next season is certainly going to be interesting, Mike McCarthy's final year under contract, no doubt a lot will be determined about an extension. Here is what Mr. Jones had to say about keeping McCarthy.

Cowboys' Jerry Jones breaks silence on not firing Mike McCarthy after playoff pain

Jerry Jones still believes in Mike McCarthy despite his recent failure to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

Jerry Jones is not losing his faith on Mike McCarthy despite the Dallas Cowboys' disappointing Wild Card exit in the 2024 NFL Playoffs. The team owner said as much on Wednesday after his decision to keep the veteran tactician as their head coach.

McCarthy's future was a big question mark over the last few days following the Cowboys' loss to the Green Bay Packers in the Wild Card round. It has been reported that McCarthy's status next season would be decided by how the team performs in their final game, and with that heartbreaking loss to Jordan Love and Co., many expected Jones to part ways with him.

Interestingly, Jones decided to keep McCarthy, at least for now as the head coach enters the final year of the season. According to Jones, he made the decision because they were “very close” to achieving their goals with McCarthy leading the way.

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach. There is great benefit to continuing the team's progress under Mike's leadership as our head coach,” Jones explained, via Adam Schefter of ESPN.

“Specifically, there are many layers of success that have occurred this season as a result of Mike's approach to leading the team, both with individual players and with our team collectively. Mike has the highest regular season winning percentage of any head coach in Cowboys history and we will dedicate ourselves, in partnership with him, to translating that into reaching our post season goals. Certainly, Mike's career has demonstrated post season success at a high level, and we have great confidence that can continue.”

Jerry Jones also defended Mike McCarthy's role in their loss to the Packers, adding that the head coach is not the only one to blame for the defeat. The Cowboys owner emphasized that everyone on the team shares responsibility for the loss.

“There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we're all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals,” Jones added.

As for the Cowboys' next steps, Jones revealed that they will start the “process of review and decision making regarding everything that impacts our team and roster.” He noted that while they are not going to address the contract situations of the players, they will make a deep “review and consideration” on the matter.

For now, McCarthy will continue as the Cowboys' head coach. Nonetheless, with just one year left on his deal, it also means he needs to prove in 2024 that he can lead Dallas to the Super Bowl. Another failed season would probably result to Jones and the ownership looking elsewhere for another man who can guide them where they want to be.

The Cowboys have now failed to make the playoffs for nearly three decades, with the last time they made it to the big stage being in 1995–during which they also won the title. Sure enough, they wouldn't want that drought to extend to exactly 30 years. The pressure is on McCarthy to make sure that doesn't happen.

It's Daks final year on his current deal also.

• Options
    No

Players used to step it up in the last year of their contract. Some if not many still do.

But a guy such as Prescott, he's so filthy rich, i doubt if he cares all that much. It'll be the same old Dak next season, in my opinion.

• Options
    Yes

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

They probably dont even make the playoffs if Bill is the coach. It would be an amazing reality show with Bill and Jerry but a horrible environment of constant fighting.

• Options
    Yes

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

The top players are already rich when they get drafted. Thats nothing new its just in the open now. The talent level is significantly better now than it was before. Rules changes, not wanting to get flagged for hits, over emphasis on combine numbers over level of play with teams drafting etc have changed things. Its significantly harder to play defense today than it was 30 years ago and even 10 years ago

• Options
    Yes

Jerry Jones doesn’t want a championship as bad as he wants a patsy as a coach. Reporters don’t approach team owners after every loss or win besides JJ. He wants to be the face on every news cast. So keep McCarthy and Dak. Win 11-12 games a year. Lose every payoff game. Don’t hire a leader of men. Just keep hiring someone who looks worse than you on camera. Johnson was charismatic, had great hair and was interesting and JJ couldn’t stand playing second fiddle even if it cost him 2 more SB’s. Keep the fat, uninteresting guy you look better than and entertain reporters how shocked you are when they get ousted next January

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    No

@stevek said:

Players used to step it up in the last year of their contract. Some if not many still do.

But a guy such as Prescott, he's so filthy rich, i doubt if he cares all that much. It'll be the same old Dak next season, in my opinion.

I honestly believe Dak cares and is all in, now actually succeeding in clutch moments is a whole different story for him. I still have a dim glimmer of hope with Dak. It's not an excuse, but he did overall very well in a whole new offense implemented by McCarthy this season. Hopefully with a year of that offense under his belt going into next year may make a difference, we will see. Hopefully the Boys use their first pick on a big mean LT to replace Tyron Smith to protect Dak's blind side. Huge difference when Tyron was in vs out injured, with Dak max protection should be of the utmost importance to the Cowboy's brass.

• Options
    No

The top players are already rich when they get drafted. Thats nothing new its just in the open now. The talent level is significantly better now than it was before. Rules changes, not wanting to get flagged for hits, over emphasis on combine numbers over level of play with teams drafting etc have changed things. Its significantly harder to play defense today than it was 30 years ago and even 10 years ago

Yes, not technically new. Except now in recent years, it's not just comfortably rich, it's ridiculously absurdly rich. There's a difference.

• Options
    Yes

@stevek said:

Yes, not technically new. Except now in recent years, it's not just comfortably rich, it's ridiculously absurdly rich. There's a difference.

Its not as massive as a difference as you might think. Guys like Lendale White have talked about coming back to a downtown LA apartment with a bag of cash waiting for him on podcasts.

The NIL numbers that get thrown around are just guesses. The top guys are millionaires, but those guys were making a ton in the past too. The 15 million for a QB stuff isnt accurate, and some of the guys make more than advertised.

No one is ridiculous rich unless theyve done it on their own with social media stuff or like Bijon and a mustard brand type thing. Its still just comfortably rich for most which are generally skill position players and most players arent rich at all from it. Guards arent getting national commercials, but theyre probably getting free food and drinks at restaurants around town and things like that

• Options
    Yes

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

They probably dont even make the playoffs if Bill is the coach. It would be an amazing reality show with Bill and Jerry but a horrible environment of constant fighting.

So your saying McCarthy is a better HC than Belichick?

• Options
    Yes

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

At this stage in their career yes. Plus all the in fighting over control between Bill and Jerry would be toxic. Not to mention for all we know Lamb did some stuff that Bill certainly wouldnt have likes that could have gotten him benched if Bill was the coach

• Options
    Yes

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

At this stage in their career yes. Plus all the in fighting over control between Bill and Jerry would be toxic. Not to mention for all we know Lamb did some stuff that Bill certainly wouldnt have likes that could have gotten him benched if Bill was the coach

Fair points