Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many of us are there?

hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2024 8:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey all, happy Saturday,

Looking at the postings on here, I see what to me looks like a majority of peeps buying high end slabbed coins.

I recently posted a raw album and several people commented that it was nice to see old school collecting. So the question is how many of us still collect raw coins?

Do you put the coins in flips with coin information?

Do you put the coins in albums?

Or are you a purely slab collector?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly raw and OGP for me.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I am a slab guy for many reasons. I like that I can show one of my eight year old nieces a coin and not care they are covered in jelly or what they do with it. I like that my family doesn't have to know a thing about coins if I die because all my coins are pre set to auction at G.C. I like that I don't have to hold my own breath and sweat bullets when I am looking at my coins less I harm them. James -temporary custodian of a few time travelers.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 8:56AM

Mostly slabs at this stage for my collection.
    I will buy nicer or early date raw coins for resale when I can find them, as there is still a good market for them.

The last raw album I put together was buffalo nickels, last purchase was >10 years ago, and I still have it.

My beloved 7070 was just broken up, not to sell, but to get some of the more valuable coins certified at PCGS.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problem buying raw or slabbed. I don't pay extra for the extra opinion. I'm 100% confident in my ability to grade and authenticate, and if I'm not (rarely), I'll seek other input. A TPG holder is nothing more than another respected, expert opinion, to me.

I buy the coin (or note), not the holder, really.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

My complete seated quarter set was in a Dansco, including many crack outs I started slabbing them last year to make it easier for my kids to sell when the time comes. I prefer album collecting though and may start a low value set sometime, like Buffalo nickels.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both, better coins are slabbed.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Both, better coins are slabbed.

Same here. I pretty much just stick with the gold and silver variants.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

im back to collecting raw about a month ago. im old school as well and the slabs are good to have as well

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 9:28AM

@hfjacinto said:
    ** I recently posted a raw album and several people commented that it was nice to see old school collecting. So the question is how many of us still collect raw coins?**

I actually thought of your set at FUN. There was a dealer I chatted with that had one full case devoted to raw walkers in 2x2s, top to bottom, 1916-1947, every date and mm, in avg circ grades. I’m relatively jaded, but it was still impressive to see…..I commented he must really like them, but as there were no gaps, he must not have sold many. Not true, he said, I have boxes of duplicates (he pointed to crate size containers) when one sells, I put another in its place.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad that there are collectors of coins in all conditions and packaging. No look down the nose from me.

My choice is to collect coins that I like that also happen to have good market value. As such, my coins are in TPG holders. They are easy to store and easier to sell for when that occurs.

I may start a 7070 someday with very worn or details coins.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect both raw and slabbed. World is mostly raw, I like them in an album where I can flip through them. A number of Danscos, mostly for Modern (Sackies, Ikes, Kennedy's etc.) and then for my colonial and type sets slabbed. As well as a number of other interesting coins slabbed.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting is mostly slabs, but I am putting together albums of all sorts based on what comes in the door -- buy a collection, piece out one or two things and put them in a raw album. I think future me will be very happy someday. I don't feel the price today, and tomorrow it might be worth something! Ha!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 11:10AM

Yep, put me in the "both" group.
    Raw,
    Esp in Bullion! Bars, auctions, winnings...
    Slabs,
    popular classics, VAMS...
    My Libertads are in both options.
    I used to collect raw for sets. I once filled a Buffalo Dansco album. Way back in 2000. Sold it, I think for $850?
    My last raw collection was the unfinished Silver Eagle set, in a Dansco album. 20 Eagles. All Toners! I think that was at the 2022 ANA Chicago Show? Sold that for $800.
    Now, I don't chase sets. Just collect, buy, cherry pick and flip.
    Thanks 😉

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

My medals are raw. Pretty large collection of foreign medals. Everything else is slabbed.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graded ... non graded are in capsules.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread... I will never be too old or too rich to enjoy coins that really represent and capture what is important regardless of whether slabbing is part of the story.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have collected and enjoyed mostly raw and love the feel and look of a Dansco collection.
    That said however, as I’ve purchased and added more expensive key coins, I’ve purchased graded specimens and haven’t been cracking them.
    Moving forward, I’m going to be submitting many of my better album coins in for grading.
    It’ll be tough seeing all those holes in the albums but I think it’ll be much better when it’s time to sell.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

I like both slabs and raw coins.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 12:14PM

For business I have both.....if everything is in slabs then I lose the community that collects raw which is more than 50% of people who come to local shows.

For personal collection, I have a bit of OCD. I have mostly PCGS slabs and if I get a different TPG slab or raw coin they are out of place so I have to crack out and send in so the new coins match the holders I have. Even if the cost of slabbing is more than the coin is worth. OCD is expensive.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 12:19PM

Slabs
    Bullion most naked.

If interested adding more detail to your thread title, may get more hits of those interested and less of those not interested.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly raw and in albums.
    Still about 100 in slabs.
    I but what I like whether raw or slabbed.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess both but I consider myself an album guy, I like complete/full albums. Which means I full the key date holes. I have bought "some" key date coins to ensure they are legit, broken them out and filled the holes. Others, like an S-VDB or 55DDO NO!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 3:00PM

Both graded and 2 by 2's. I prefer graded for my main series and 2 by 2's for my 2nd series I collect.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Cheaper stuff that probably wouldn't get counterfeited, or wouldn't kill me if there were a fake or two, raw, and generally bouncing around in bags, not even in flips.

Expensive stuff, all slabs, all day. Fakes are getting better and better and they terrify me.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

Expensive stuff, what few gold items I have, etc. are slabs. Lots of cheap but fun coins, 2x2's. Prefer 2x2 mylars but dislike their tendency to get scuffy. Albums I love to collect for themselves, but dislike coins tending to rotate, pop out of place, potential slidemarks, so generally don't actually use them, I just like some of the vintage ones.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only slabs

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collections total something over 2000 coins. I have a bit over 150 slabbed coins.

If I were sure that (i) all sellers are honest and sell only genuine coins, (ii) I could tell from photographs whether a coin has been cleaned; and (iii) I could grade extremely accurately based on photos, I would always buy raw coins.

But, alas, I'm zero-for-three above, so I only buy relatively inexpensive raw coins. My raw coins generally go into albums. But that leaves some albums looking kind of funny, with the placeholders mixed in (especially my SLQ album, where most holes are filled with placeholders).

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above.

Most of my world coins are in flips.

Most of my US coins are in albums.

Most of my silver dollars are slabbed.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both - but everything over ~$250 is slabbed. There is so much joy in raw coins though. Nothing quite like holding history and art in your fingers.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I have both, but my very favorite moment by far, slabbed or raw, is when I acquired twenty of these and I gently stacked them into a 'roll'..............................

Gorgeous looking stack!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

90-95% of my collection is slabbed, but I occasionally will buy raw coins just for fun. Mostly kept in flips.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

High end slabs are way beyond my price range or collecting interest. No Morgan or Peace Dollars, 19th Century coins or gold. I have no interest in registry sets, just in beautiful coins that are all from the 20th and 21st Centuries. I have 2,874 coins in the collection, of which 424 are graded. The majority of those a nearly complete set of Lincoln Cents 1930-2023.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both. Multiple Dansco albums ( 30 something ) and way more slabbed coins than I need.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

After decades of buying binge spending, I finally have come to terms of, too many slabbed and raw coins, coin albums, multiple coin series and Countries, Mainly USA, Canada and Mexico. I had way too much fun collecting ;)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection hits all 3 directions. I have 2 registry sets and some better coins in slabs, I have several sets in Intercept, Dansco, & Whitman albums, and I have a single row box and 3 binders full of raw 2X2'd coins - and those range from cheap novelties to $4-500 coins.

I think the balance of viewing enjoyment and proper preservation plays into how we all choose to collect.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

All slabbed except for a Silver Eagle Date set in a Dansco

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

I’m about 50/50. I buy slabbed for two reasons: 1) it’s a great deal and I want/need it 2) it’s a series I struggle grading, so most coppers and most 19th century. I’m all about buying raw though when it fits the bill of what I’m looking for. I’m not scared when I know the series.

I should add my case is specific as I’ve recently put all my efforts to competing a 7070, finally after 30 years. So….. even if it’s slabbed the pliers are coming out.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of my set is now certified, but I do still have a few things left either in craft envelopes or albums. Sometimes you just wanna pull a coin out and hold something that is 200 years old!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both for me. I appreciate a quality graded stabbed coin that I buy after doing my homework. And armed with gobs of numismatic reference and savy, I have had much fun finding raw coins that were otherwise destined for obscurity. The third category for me is to self slab, custom label a coin deserving of the treatment. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 1:14PM

I would think there are tons of coins out there ungraded than graded. Less so for the rare coins.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭✭

All raw. I don’t own a single slab.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file