Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dark toning on 1800 Dollar

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2024 6:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The toning looks like it might be fire damage? Wonder if it can be conserved by pcgs or ngc.

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the Assigned Grade if you dont mind, it looks natural to me...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it straight grade? If so then I think it's the right coin for someone who likes that look.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks good the way it is, and would look a lot worse if conserved (dipped) IMO. Not sure if it can be determined with certainty how the deep toning developed.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely a ground recovery if anything. I'd leave it the way it is though.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    More likely a ground recovery if anything. I'd leave it the way it is though.

I was thinking ground/buried as well. I also think conservation would be a big mistake and ruin a fairly acceptable coin.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a 224 year old coin should look like.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a buried coin that was found and then burnished to bring out the high points. It should have a details grade and be left as is. "Conservation" would likely make it look even worse.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked about the same not long ago people said the end cycle of toning. If that is what is trust me I had a coin with that and it is very hard to remove I did 99% of it but the coin most likely now has tons of scratches.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bust on that coin is way too bright. Whether the coin was once all dark and the bust has since been cleaned off, or the coin was cleaned and just the fields got dark (that seems less likely) the color doesn't look fully natural, whatever caused the toning. That said, the bust is always going to be shiny for a coin this old, and any attempt at removing the toning will serve to make the coin overall look worse. I don't like it now, and I definitely don't like it with any new work done to it.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

remember, that isnt 90% silver, and although some may disagree, many would find that toning perfectly acceptable

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

to add to the chorus, I agree conservation would do way more harm than good. I also think that the obv devices have been brightened up for that circulated cameo look.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the great comments.

The coin will be left as is. Even though its a details grade, I like it more than many straight graded VF30s I've seen.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the NGC assigned grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file