Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Uncanny Similarities CACG to PCGS

JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2024 12:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum
  1. Similar Look
  2. Date in exact spot
  3. denomination in exact spot
  4. barcode and serial number in similar positions (logo on opposite sides)
  5. length and width of holder almost identical
  6. the CACG holder actually stacks nicely on top of PCGS holder

The holder is fatter, so does not fit in PCGS box (unfortunately). I really like the look of these holders. Why wouldn't I, it looks just like a PCGS holder which I always preferred. What's your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about posting photo of PCGS doily label slab next to CACG slab?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figured it won’t fit in the PCGS boxes - sigh

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2024 11:52AM

I don't think there's much of resemblance at all. The CACG holders have different dimensions, different size inserts, different color labels, and the corporate logo is on the opposite side. There's only so many different variations of a slab design that can be used, and any new slab will surely resemble a previously used design in some way shape or form. If they had used an orange label, it would resemble ANACS. If they had used white plastic, it would resemble NGC...

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I don't think there's much of resemblance at all. The CACG holders have different dimensions, different size inserts, different color labels, and the corporate logo is on the opposite side. There's only so many different variations of a slab design that can be used, and any new slab will surely resemble a previously used design in some way shape or form. If they had used an orange label, it would resemble ANACS. If they had used white plastic, it would resemble NGC...

You have a point about only so many variations of a slab, but I totally disagree that these are not very similar in appearance . If i was starting a new grading company I would want my slabs to have the best look and highest quality to support the high values and grading standards my company represents. Afterall, a cheap or cheesy looking slab is not a good look. I just find it interesting that IMO Dan, the slabs look very close to PCGS slabs, which is to my liking.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    There's only so many different variations of a slab design that can be used, and any new slab will surely resemble a previously used design in some way shape or form. If they had used an orange label, it would resemble ANACS. If they had used white plastic, it would resemble NGC...

Or save a few steps...

(citation where it's due, I don't have an ICG photo handy, so the photo is the first one from Google Images, and came from here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/is-icg-really-as-bad-as-many-people-say.325027/)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    There's only so many different variations of a slab design that can be used, and any new slab will surely resemble a previously used design in some way shape or form. If they had used an orange label, it would resemble ANACS. If they had used white plastic, it would resemble NGC...

Or save a few steps...

(citation where it's due, I don't have an ICG photo handy, so the photo is the first one from Google Images, and came from here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/is-icg-really-as-bad-as-many-people-say.325027/)

Say, that coin looks familiar! ;)

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only going PCGS and sometimes NGC that I cross to PCGS….why? Registry sets.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

And then there’s the fact that the coin whisperer JA started all three of the TPGs?!?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps - just spitballing here - that sequence is a natural order for a register, spreadsheet, or database

<line#>

first operation is then to add

then grading adds ,

label printing takes those fields...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    And then there’s the fact that the coin whisperer JA started all three of the TPGs?!?

Uncanny............ ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file