Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FUN Thursday Report

lermishlermish Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just the one day at FUN sandwiched in the middle of a Disney World trip with wife and kids so I had to get as much done as possible today.

Opinions are sure to vary but I had a difficult time finding quality coins in which I was interested, although, to be fair, my interests are somewhat narrow. I can state that were exceedingly few nice trade dollars and very little CAC stickered, crusty gold. The ones I saw were priced at above retail.

Submissions at PCGS went smoothly and quickly. There was a big rush at the beginning of the day but there was no line by mid-afternoon. Heritage lot viewing was a pleasure and I confirmed that there is a coin I'll take a swing on in the auction (although I expect it to set an auction record so I likely will not get it).

As always though, one of the best parts of the hobby is the people. Hung out with @DeplorableDan - what an eye for coins this guy has. He'll have some fun stuff to share. Met @Floridafacelifter and @FlyingAl - both great guys although I wish I had more time.

Also chatted about pioneer with David McCarthy and trade dollars with John Dannreuther; this show is fantastic for getting to meet people who know/live/love coins. I would definitely recommend anyone who can make it to come to the show. I would also recommend to not do it in one day.

I bought a couple of world coins which are being holdered so I'll just put up a pic of my one US newp from today.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report . What world coins are being holdered pray tell 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

A very nicely struck Unc 1776 Netherlands Ducat and a chopmarked 1903-P Phillipines Peso (Philly mint chopped coins are very scarce).

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@bidask said:

A very nicely struck Unc 1776 Netherlands Ducat and a chopmarked 1903-P Phillipines Peso (Philly mint chopped coins are very scarce).

Very cool. Let’s see them when you can.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

“ I had a difficult time finding quality coins in which I was interested”

You hit the nail on the head. Common date, common grade, stale material was rampant.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold certificate. Have fun!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold certificates are always a plus

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I was there yesterday looking for better date MS63 Peace dollars for my set and I was surprised at the limited availability. 1921 Peace are widely available but I didn't like the look of most and the few others were priced very high. I ended up getting a 27-S and a 34 Philly. Also gold bullion wasn't really moving according to a few dealers one guy had 1oz eagles for 60 over with no takers.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice to meet you Jeremy!

I was at the show yesterday evening and all day today, and didn’t find anything that I would be willing to bring home with me. A lot of common date, common appearance items.

Every 36-42 Proof I saw was pretty bland.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great time.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for he show report. Love the $50 Gold Certificate.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No chopmarked 1875-P Trade Dollar? I'd expect at least one or two chopped 1859-S Seated Dollars, at a minimum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file