Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 Baseball pre-season discussion is officially underway. Who is going where?

124»

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭

The Red Sox have signed Lucas Giolito. I don't know anything about him.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

2 years 38.5 mil he has an opt out after the first year. Hes a 3rd starter that some teams use as an ace with a high strikeout rate that had two years that were good.

• Options

Sounds promising, at least they are getting someone!

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 6:56PM

Hes certainly better than what they have. Hes prone to giving up homeruns which could be an issue with the smaller AL East fields. Just as likely to end up with a 3.5 era as he is a 5. Its a good chance for them to take but they need more than just him

• Options

That was a starting point, but you are right, he is not the complete solution by any means.

• Options

For better worse Sale is gone to the Atlanta Braves for a promising young 2nd baseman.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    For better worse Sale is gone to the Atlanta Braves for a promising young 2nd baseman.

I am glad to see sale gone and have high hopes for new 2nd baseman

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Sale was not of much help to the Red sox the last few years for sure and help at 2nd base was sure needed. Help at general manager was also needed this year.
    I came down with covick yesterday so spent the biggest part of the day at the VA so missed the big news when it happened.

• Options

Its a good trade for both. Atlanta had no room for him, and really they just need Sale to be healthy for the playoffs. Its a good risk for them to take that they may have just gotten an ace cheap

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

No loss, overhyped, overrated, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid.
    An improvement for the Red Sox team.

• Options

Mookie moving to 2nd base

• Options

That's the position he first played in the minors I think.

• Options

It was and theyve been wanting him back there recently as his bat would have far more value at 2nd than in the outfield. Reports are he will be their full time next year instead of splitting it between there and the OF like he did last year

• Options

Hader 5 year 95 million to the Astros. They lose their first round pick as well.

• Options

Well it looks like the Red Sox showed us what going all in means to them to get free agents this past off season really meant !

• Options

How in the world is Joey Gallo still getting MLB contracts

• Options

We can just go ahead and shut down Cooperstown. Joe Mauer getting into the hall of fame much less being a first ballot hall of fame has made the HOF a bigger joke that it already is

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    We can just go ahead and shut down Cooperstown. Joe Mauer getting into the hall of fame much less being a first ballot hall of fame has made the HOF a bigger joke that it already is

I think I agree. Mauer started out very well up until age 27. He was sporting a 137 ops+ while being a full time catcher.
    Then after that he quit being a full time catcher and played first and DH and from age 28-35 his ops+ was 114. Way too much of a decline especially moving to first and dh.
    He was so bad at age 35 he retired.

• Options

How Will Clark isn’t in the HOF when so many players inferior to him are in is beyond me.

• Options

I was curious about Todd Helton but his stats away from Colorado are decent although not near his Rocky Mountain highs so I’ll give him a pass.
    Probably a borderline HOF candidate if he played his career elsewhere.

• Options

Beltre has really odd stats. His first 10 years in the league he has a 105 ops+. 10 years!
    Then from age 30-39 his ops+ is 130.
    Wonder what magical elixir he came across?
    After his youthful vigor and strength were starting to fade his ops+ improved by 25 points.
    Not odd at all. 🤔

• Options

@Darin said:

@Basebal21 said:

I think I agree. Mauer started out very well up until age 27. He was sporting a 137 ops+ while being a full time catcher.
    Then after that he quit being a full time catcher and played first and DH and from age 28-35 his ops+ was 114. Way too much of a decline especially moving to first and dh.
    He was so bad at age 35 he retired.

If we are just going to go off of 3 years of excellence which is basically Mauers career for the HOF than Lincecum, and Gagne need to be in. If Mauer is in Andrew Jones and about 1000 other players need to be in not to mention all the players that have been left out. Mauer spent half his career as a 1st base DH where he was terrible the entire time being a slap hitter with no power or speed at power positions.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I was curious about Todd Helton but his stats away from Colorado are decent although not near his Rocky Mountain highs so I’ll give him a pass.
    Probably a borderline HOF candidate if he played his career elsewhere.

Helton really shouldn't be in either. His numbers just dont add up for a 1st baseman especially not one that played in Colorado during the time their scores looked like football games and his home stats are significantly better. Adrian Gonzalez played in the worst park ever for left handed hitters on some of the worst teams offensively during his time and got no votes yet put up the same numbers. Neither deserve to be in the Hall of writers favorites, but Gonzalez should absolutely be in if Helton is and anyone that voted for Helton and not both should lose their vote.

Its sad to see how the HOF has been turned into a joke

• Options

@Darin said:
    Beltre has really odd stats. His first 10 years in the league he has a 105 ops+. 10 years!
    Then from age 30-39 his ops+ is 130.
    Wonder what magical elixir he came across?
    After his youthful vigor and strength were starting to fade his ops+ improved by 25 points.
    Not odd at all. 🤔

Beltre deserve to be there. He started at 19 and was also very good defensively at a defensive position. He should have been in college for his first several seasons but was a player starting in the pros in the NL west which at the time was a very strong pitcher division and pitcher friendly parks other than Colorado. San Diego and the Giants even moved the fences in it was so bad

• Options

Hoskins 2 years 34 million to the Brewers

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have human intervention, much like grading cards, inequities are made, and made often.

As an example...I once had a 1955 Topps #64, Gus Triandos. It was graded SGC 5.5, and I intended to crack it and submit to PSA, I always thought the card was great lookiing, and couldn't understand the low grade. I crack it, send it in, and it comes back a jaw-dropping PSA 8.5! Nobody had a similar card, not even Don Spence, a millionaire from Texas had this card, and he had some seriously high graded 1955 Topps. I had the only one...a nice thrill for a while, from an SGC5.5 to a PSA 8.5.

This was when I had a seriously nice set, the half-point was the new shiny thing, and I was convinced to send in all 206 for possible upgrades and maybe score some half-point bumps. Best thing I ever did, I did very, very well, even turned a Yogi Berra from a PSA 7 to a PSA 8.5, it was like Christmas. I've always said, and maintain that at arms length, in many cases, you can't tell the difference from a lot of PSA 7s, 8s and maybe some 9s. I think we collected the flip, far too often...but, I understand the choices and challenges, been there many times. One grade can mean thousands up or down, just check out #164, Clemente.

Point is, you have personalities that vote, make decisions, and not all are objective. I personally think Luis Tiant should have gotten in, but that ship has sailed. I've been to Cooperstown, cool place, lots of nostalgia, but, honestly, I've lost my interest in who does or does not get in...just a game of personalities with mediocre stats (in some cases), and others that haven fallen by the wayside.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2024 7:05PM

Red Sox ownership group reportedly preparing a 3 billion dollar investment into the LIV/PGA merger.

• Options

Os have been sold

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Red Sox ownership group reportedly preparing a 3 billion dollar investment into the LIV/PGA merger.

As are other well to do investors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2024 10:42PM

Os have been sold > @BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Basebal21 said:

Just a shame when a major team has owners that are using money for other things while having a bad product on the field

• Options

What is the LIV/PGA merger?

• Options

Im not a huge golf guy so Im sure someone else could explain it better. Basically PGA and LIV have been in talks together since LIV has been getting so many of the top players and the PGA finally realized they cant take a hard line and ban those players.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2024/01/31/pga-tour-strikes-3-billion-deal-with-fenway-led-investment-group-players-to-get-equity-ownership/72420885007/

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Just a shame when a major team has owners that are using money for other things while having a bad product on the field

They must be diversifying their business interests. Or have a financial interest in the survival of the sport via the merger. All I can surmise.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Basebal21 said:

They must be diversifying their business interests. Or have a financial interest in the survival of the sport via the merger. All I can surmise.

In terms of the PGA yes. In terms of the Red Sox ownership group theyve been doing this for years. They own the Liverpool soccer team, they bought the Pittsburgh Penguins, they bought a significant stake in a racing team among other things. The Red Sox havent really been their main focus since their last WS title. Theyre more interested in buying TV networks and other things to build an empire and then say they dont have the money for players when they are the richest ownership group in MLB other than maybe the Mets

• Options

Corbin Burns traded to the Os

• Options

Theo Epstein is back with the Red Sox as part owner and senior advisor !

• Options

Red Sox also picked up another veteran catcher from the Metros in Tyler Heineman. They obviously want to have some veterans in the minors that know what they are doing. Veteran catchers in the minors can be a positive help to young pitchers!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Theo Epstein is back with the Red Sox as part owner and senior advisor !

Sort of. He got a very small share in the ownership group that also owns a tv network, a racing team, Liverpool, and and the Penguins. His role is to consult the Fenway Sports group about its entire portfolio and growth opportunities. Hes not doing day to day or personal work for the Red Sox like before

• Options

I doubt if Fenway sports group hired him to just consult with them about what the soccer team, racing team, or hockey team is doing. His expertise is baseball !

• Options

Theo hasnt been involved in day to day roster building for years, Hoyer did that. They let him buy into the group to be a big picture consultant over asset acquisitions and growing brands not to figure out who the Red Sox should target in free agency or the draft. The only influence he might have over the Red Sox roster is suggesting a maximum payroll and as a very small minority owner no one has to listen to him unless they want to anyways

• Options

We shall see.

• Options

Royals signed Bobby Witt to an 11 year 288 million contract.

• Options

That is a great pickup for the Royals.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    That is a great pickup for the Royals.

Hes always been a Royal was an extension

• Options

Sorry, I used the wrong words.

• Options

Not clear if it will happen or not, but MLB has the power for force the Os to relinquish their rights to the Nationals on MASN which the two team have been battling over revenue from it for over a decade now. The overwhelming majority of the money going to the Os also seems to have played a factor in the Nationals not being sold when they explored selling in the recent past.