Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay nanny state! - Solution?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I paid for two items the other day that I thought I was going to get combined shipping on. But the system charged me shipping for both. I guess I could have asked for a partial refund.

Watching groups on Facebook, there are a huge number of complaints about people not paying. I can see why they're doing it. They can always change it back if it doesn't work out.

When you say nanny state, it kinda sounds like you're mad that you don't get to retain your right to bid and make offers and not pay.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:

Watching groups on Facebook, there are a huge number of complaints about people not paying. I can see why they're doing it. They can always change it back if it doesn't work out.

It has gotten out of control. I certainly don't sell a lot, but I've had more nonpaying bidders in the last few months than the previous 25 years combined. Just a couple weeks ago I had 3 items sell, 1 person paid, 2 didn't.

I've read on various sites, people bragging how they run up bids with no intention of buying and encourage others to follow, just because they don't like or agree with the product being sold or to send the seller a message. Everybody has a cause nowadays and needs to be heard, and this is yet another way.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got offers on two items this morning. I accepted both offers and both buyers paid within minutes using the new feature. I love it!

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@baz518 said:
    Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether. While I don't purchase a ton from AHs, every one I've ever purchased from billed me and I had to remit payment. It's the nature of auctions. Holding buyers accountable and lowering fees would reduce the number of sellers leaving their platform more than this ever will.

"Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether."

Most of Amazon actually is auctions, just not like an Ebay auction. An Amazon auction is known as a "reverse auction" whereby the sellers bid for the lowest price to win sales.

Usually the lowest price seller on an item, wins what is known as the "buy box" which most buyers on Amazon automatically click for a purchase.

Call it what you want, but that is not a form of an auction. That's what makes it a marketplace, Amazon opened up their platform for other sellers to sell their products... often times the same products. Competition is what is lowering the prices. Same thing occurs on eBay when the same product is being offered in multiple auctions at the same time.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

if this has been broached above then apologies in advance, but just in case someone has an ebay gift card and is trying to use it for an item in an auction format, you can't due to the auto-charge feature. i had a rep contact me via the concierge service last night and that's what i was told. fixed listings only.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:

@stevek said:

@baz518 said:
    Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether. While I don't purchase a ton from AHs, every one I've ever purchased from billed me and I had to remit payment. It's the nature of auctions. Holding buyers accountable and lowering fees would reduce the number of sellers leaving their platform more than this ever will.

"Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether."

Most of Amazon actually is auctions, just not like an Ebay auction. An Amazon auction is known as a "reverse auction" whereby the sellers bid for the lowest price to win sales.

Usually the lowest price seller on an item, wins what is known as the "buy box" which most buyers on Amazon automatically click for a purchase.

Call it what you want, but that is not a form of an auction. That's what makes it a marketplace, Amazon opened up their platform for other sellers to sell their products... often times the same products. Competition is what is lowering the prices. Same thing occurs on eBay when the same product is being offered in multiple auctions at the same time.

Pasted:
    "A reverse auction is a type of auction in which sellers bid for the prices at which they are willing to sell their goods and services. It is the opposite of a regular auction, where a seller puts up an item and buyers place bids until the close of the auction, at which time the item goes to the highest bidder."

Your quote: "Amazon opened up their platform for other sellers to sell their products"

Yes, Amazon opened up their platform as you mentioned. They are known as third party sellers. I am one of them and have been for around 20 years. It's estimated that around 30% to 40 % of product sold on Amazon are from third party sellers. Some say it's a higher percentage than that.

The funny thing is that still to this day, many buyers think that all product sold on Amazon, comes from Amazon. These buyers don't analyze anything except for the product they want, and if they like the price then they click the buy box. Sometimes Amazon directly competes against third party sellers for the buy box in the reverse action. They usually have the lowest price but not always.

Bottom line - I've had good success on both venues over the years. As long as I'm making money on them, I'll continue to list on them.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 12:24PM

I recently had 6 auctions end on the same day and I didn't receive instant payment for any of them. Since I am required to provide advance payment info on my bids, I decided to call Ebay to vent about it. Basically I asked very directly "Why aren't the payments for my auctions in my account, especially since Ebay now requires payment info in advance?" Here's what I was told:

1) Only certain Ebay members are required to provide payment info in advance. This seemed odd to me - I had 6 different buyers and yet none of them were part of this group?

2) I asked how I can use my spendable funds to pay for an auction. I was told that this is no longer an option when payment info is provided in advance.

3) I mentioned again that it seemed odd that none of my 6 buyers were part of the instant payment group. Then the Ebay rep told me the most unbelievable thing. If a buyer puts a card on file that's not valid or has no funds available, the sale will default back to the old way of payment, including allowing the use of spendable funds and requesting combined shipping.

I guess it's good that the Ebay rep actually came clean and mentioned this loophole, but it just seems like this new policy is doomed from the start if it's that easy to get around.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:

@CardGeek said:
    I paid for two items the other day that I thought I was going to get combined shipping on. But the system charged me shipping for both. I guess I could have asked for a partial refund.

When you say nanny state, it kinda sounds like you're mad that you don't get to retain your right to bid and make offers and not pay.

Untrue - 3000+ transactions and ALWAYS pay - been on eBay for 20+ years 100% positive. It's a control thing - because of others the ability for me to control how and when I pay has been taken away. Reasons:

1. Often I'm bidding on same seller auctions that close at different times of the day and/or a day or two apart. Easy to wait to pay, request combined shipping on one invoice. Saves both of us time and money. Guessing Greg Morris, Probstein, 4-Sharp aren't benefiting from this new system.

Just to list a few...

You make an excellent point! In fact...

4SC has several cards I was going to place bid on as I normally do 1-2 times a month. Or more accurate to say I used to do! I refuse to pay multiple shipping charges when they will send in same package. Thus my 4SC eBay auction days are over.

I decided rather than purchase 8-10 $50-$150 cards per month and will use that for a larger single monthly purchase, which is very unlikely to come from 4SC.

So yea 4SC (4 Sharp Corners) and others are going to get fist-ed by this new policy. I'm not going to pay multiple shipping charges when the items are shipped together. I do not believe eBay nor ANY seller is entitled that gift!

P.S. I am also not going to write to any seller to in effect beg for a refund of MY Money which they never should have received in the first place Knowing the morals and ethics, or lack thereof, of Card Seller/Dealers at least 1/2 the time I'd never get response anyhow.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 5:27PM

@galaxy27 said:
    if this has been broached above then apologies in advance, but just in case someone has an ebay gift card and is trying to use it for an item in an auction format, you can't due to the auto-charge feature. i had a rep contact me via the concierge service last night and that's what i was told. fixed listings only.

Probably so if the buyer doesn't have a paypal account.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Just learned sellers can turn off this "feature" - Greg Morris has figured this out and you can bid on his items without automatic checkout - so has Probstein, COMC, but not 4-Sharp.

What a lot of work for those big sellers having to edit their listings once this policy went into effect. As my old principal said, "solutions cause problems!"

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

I dunno about you all, but I just went to edit my BIN listings and I would actually have to turn it ON. Which is the way it should be.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    Just learned sellers can turn off this "feature" - Greg Morris has figured this out and you can bid on his items without automatic checkout - so has Probstein, COMC, but not 4-Sharp.

What a lot of work for those big sellers having to edit their listings once this policy went into effect. As my old principal said, "solutions cause problems!"

I bid on a 4SC card a few days ago and didn't have to go through the checkout process.

• Options

Was Clifford really red?