Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay nanny state! - Solution?

mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

20 years on eBay, pay for all my auctions - EVERY TIME, but eBay takes away any decisions in this process - unbelievable! Maybe I want to ship to a friend or family member, maybe I want to float my credit card and want to wait a day or two, maybe I want to pay separate sellers at different times, ugh!

Anyway around this?

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will be a mess is a buyer buys more than one item and the sellers wants to combine shipping

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I just overpaid $25 because the seller didn't combine shipping from Canada. Is there a way to combine shipping after the seller accepted?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume sellers will have to refund some shipping charges or offer free shipping.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    20 years on eBay, pay for all my auctions - EVERY TIME, but eBay takes away any decisions in this process - unbelievable! Maybe I want to ship to a friend or family member, maybe I want to float my credit card and want to wait a day or two, maybe I want to pay separate sellers at different times, ugh!

Anyway around this?

This happened for me a while back for best offers. if this is coming to regular bidding, this may be the last straw. I do a lot of combined bidding and if this forces payment after the item ends and is won, there goes combined shipping!

Sometimes constant improvement is good, sometimes it just feels like they need to keep F'ing with something that doesn't need to be fixed!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2023 7:40PM

@vols1 said:
    I just overpaid $25 because the seller didn't combine shipping from Canada. Is there a way to combine shipping after the seller accepted?

I do this - like Joe said, I’ll combine shipping then refund the difference to the buyer. Not sure how that works internationally, though - there may be limitations that don’t exist for domestic.

Jim

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2023 8:18PM

@mcolney1 said:
    Maybe I want to ship to a friend or family member, maybe I want to float my credit card and want to wait a day or two, >maybe I want to pay separate sellers at different times, ugh!

Then you should know when you make the bid where you want to ship it.... You shouldn't be buying tomorrow what you can't afford today! You shouldn't discriminate against different sellers!

At the end of the day, there is no reason why a won auction shouldn't be paid for the minute it ends.. Will suck if you accidentally add an extra zero to a bid, and sucks for the combined shipping issue, but if the listings mentions it, the seller should do a refund after the fact.

• Options

@burghman said:

@vols1 said:

I do this - like Joe said, I’ll combine shipping then refund the difference to the buyer. Not sure how that works internationally, though - there may be limitations that don’t exist for domestic.

Keep in mind that for sellers that utilize ebay's international shipping program (from the USA, not to), you can't combine shipping, you can't even send an invoice. Each item has to go to the freight forwarder separately.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I want to know is: by using automatic checkout, am I giving eBay my PayPal password?

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2023 10:20PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@burghman said:

@vols1 said:

Keep in mind that for sellers that utilize ebay's international shipping program (from the USA, not to), you can't combine shipping, you can't even send an invoice. Each item has to go to the freight forwarder separately.

I always add a shipping option to overseas bidders for this very reason and do not use ebay international shipping. So far it has worked. BTW I just purchased 2 items from the same seller, he sent me a combined shipping invoice that I paid. So it is not across the board yet.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I assume sellers will have to refund some shipping charges or offer free shipping.

Evening,

I've had to do refunds 3 times now on shipping, and does everybody realize that WE (Sellers) pay the Fee on Shipping Overcharges.

Sure glad E-Bay is here to rape me....Er, I meant help me!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Evening,

I've had to do refunds 3 times now on shipping, and does everybody realize that WE (Sellers) pay the Fee on Shipping Overcharges.

Sure glad E-Bay is here to rape me....Er, I meant help me!

YeeHaw!

Neil

I haven't sold on eBay for a while now and also haven't sent in any cards to PSA since before things changed during COVID.

Not sure what you can do when someone has a near monopoly on something. Both of these companies were fantastic at one time and have been becoming harder and harder to go business with.

This seems to be the new American way of doing business, and I hate it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@thedutymon11 said:

What exactly is a shipping "overcharge". Whenever you do a refund, the seller gets a refund on the fees associated with the amount refunded.....

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed ebay has been doing this for several months now. This will mean less best offer bids on items.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@pab1969 said:
    I love this feature as a seller. No more non-paying bidders or sending reminder emails for people to pay. Now, my item sells, and it's paid.

You’re assuming this policy has no bearing on whether the item sells.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

As of a few months ago for my regular biz I accept square payment system for credit cards. New rule is....if I give a refund as a seller, I still eat the original fees associated with the initial transaction.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

As a seller it is super easy to issue a partial refund of any specific amount in order to accommodate combined shipping after items have already been paid for individually. Any seller who tells you otherwise either has not done their due diligence to look into it and learn how; or, they are intentionally skimming.

• Options

While eBay does charges a FVF on the shipping collected, you do not lose that money if you issue a refund for overpayment of shipping. Ebay only refunds the portion of that refund that you have been paid. For example if you refund $5.00, eBay will take $4.50 (or whatever the percentage collected is) out of your funds and they cover the other .50. As eBay sellers we are used to them not caring or screwing us but sellers aren't losing FVF on refunds issued.

As a seller, I would much rather take the few seconds to issue a refund than wait for a payment that is never going to be made and then have to relist the item especially when selling things that need to be sold as soon as possible before the price starts dropping.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I see an influx in chargebacks sellers are going to have to deal with.

• Options

@mcolney1 said:

Anyway around this?

Ebay did not take away your decision to bid or not bid on item. Them requiring you to pay for the item you agreed to buy at the time of purchase is a pretty standard rule across all retailers in the world

@baz518 said:
    I see an influx in chargebacks sellers are going to have to deal with.

How so and for what reasons? Also, if a seller follows all of eBay's terms correctly when shipping, and the item is delivered, then any chargeback would fall on eBay's responsibility to handle.

I really don't understand how anyone thinks the automatic payment policy is a bad thing. Name one other major retailer that allows you to agree to buy something and lets you not pay for it right at the time of purchase (but, will hold it for you in the meantime with no guarantees that you'll actually pay for it).

It is just standard commerce. You agree to buy something - you pay for it at that time.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2023 9:52AM

@SmithAuctionCo

No one is complaining about requiring immediate payment on a buy it now. That is standard. We are complaining about having to provide payment information before securing the item. How exactly is that a standard business practice?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 10:02AM

Win or Lose a (charge back) dispute, the merchant pays all associated costs. Amount they pay depends on their volume, but they do pay.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

It's not like eBay charges you once you place the bid. You still have to win it. It is standard business practice everywhere else. It's not like you can walk into Target and tell hem all them things you would like to buy and say I don't want to pay right now and I expect you to hold all of these items for me. Even when stores had layaway, you still had to put money down. Try to buy something on Mercari and not pay instantly. It's about time eBay did this as they were lagging behind their competition.

• Options

@WFC2008 said:
    It's not like eBay charges you once you place the bid. You still have to win it. It is standard business practice everywhere else. It's not like you can walk into Target and tell hem all them things you would like to buy and say I don't want to pay right now and I expect you to hold all of these items for me. Even when stores had layaway, you still had to put money down. Try to buy something on Mercari and not pay instantly. It's about time eBay did this as they were lagging behind their competition.

Again, there’s no comparison to Target because they don’t run auctions. I have no problem paying immediately on a buy it now, but I don’t want to enter payment information just to place a bid or make an offer. I guess the best solution is to just have a credit card on file with eBay. I don’t really want to do that, as I prefer using PayPal, but I’m not giving eBay my PayPal login information, so I guess if push comes to shove I will have to use direct credit card payment.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Wow I know I've heard you guys say for the past several years how tough it is to sell on Ebay I guess now us buyers are getting a bit of an inconvenience also...seriously whatever happened to businesses who truly honest to goodness put the customers first instead of just claiming it in ads/slogans but then not really meaning it? :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

The solution to this would have been to ban non-paying bidders after the 2nd time. Ebay decided to never hold non-payers accountable. The few buyers that would burn through hundreds of email addresses constantly creating new eBay accounts are the same ones that will now have an eBay dedicated bank account that they'll only put money in when the really want to make a purchase.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been selling on Ebay and Amazon for a long time, and I sell a lot on both venues.

A few points which may not solve anything, but could lead to better understanding. If ya sell on Amazon, you'd know why Ebay has made these changes, because Ebay wishes to emulate Amazon more closely.

Also Ebay a long time ago and it usually gets worse, succumbs to a concept known as diseconomies of scale. In a nutshell, it means the larger a company gets, generally the more inefficient it becomes, particularly in certain ways. Customer service is often one of these casualties. That being said, I've learned over the years to take it in stride, learn the new parameters, and make the best of it.

Frankly, my view is to appreciate all the good things that Amazon and Ebay bring to the seller marketplace, such as making me money. Rather than dwell on their diseconomies of scale which is something that is totally beyond my control.

Can't take them any longer to sell? Well then wean yourself off them, or learn to use their platform and start your own platform, website, etc. Server space these days is cheap. For a few hundred bucks a year, you can build yourself a very nice website, accept cards and PayPal payment, and if it's good enough, make a nice living off of it.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I have no problem paying immediately on a buy it now, but I don’t want to enter payment information just to place a bid or make an offer. I guess the best solution is to just have a credit card on file with eBay. I don’t really want to do that, as I prefer using PayPal, but I’m not giving eBay my PayPal login information, so I guess if push comes to shove I will have to use direct credit card payment.

You DON'T give eBay your PayPal password, as you get a popup generated by Paypal.com. You are just pre-authorizing a transaction with paypal, just like when you give a credit card at check-in at a hotel (not the best comparable, I know, but better than Target!). The only password eBay every has of yours is your eBay password.....

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@PaulMaul said:
    I have no problem paying immediately on a buy it now, but I don’t want to enter payment information just to place a bid or make an offer. I guess the best solution is to just have a credit card on file with eBay. I don’t really want to do that, as I prefer using PayPal, but I’m not giving eBay my PayPal login information, so I guess if push comes to shove I will have to use direct credit card payment.

You DON'T give eBay your PayPal password, as you get a popup generated by Paypal.com. You are just pre-authorizing a transaction with paypal, just like when you give a credit card at check-in at a hotel (not the best comparable, I know, but better than Target!). The only password eBay every has of yours is your eBay password.....

That is good to know.

• Options

I'm curious how this comes into play with sniping? I've had to enter payment info for Best Offer's for a couple months now, but still don't need to do anything to place a bid yet. Maybe it based on feedback level or star level?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 10:17PM

@PaulMaul said:
    What I want to know is: by using automatic checkout, am I giving eBay my PayPal password?

My ebay purchases are billed direct to my CC on file. I get 2% cash back that was vs Paypal, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I have to do shipping refunds on most multiple purchases now because of the automatic payment. It’s a pain in the arse. I did not approve the automatic payment on my purchases so I don’t have the problem with buying only selling

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

If it stops buyer's from paying 5-7 days later then so be it. If you can't pay for it, don't buy it.
    There is no "layaway plan" on Ebay now at least.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2023 7:57AM

Not all sellers will refund shipping during multiple auction sales to same bidders - after all its easy "free" money for them. I'd bet the number of sellers who will go through refund process is at best ~40%. Once a buyer is burned by that, they will not longer go after multiple items from a single seller. The younger the buyer the more likley they will exit the platform.

So whine about cases when you get yer coins 5 days after auction ends, but ultimately reduction of buyers placing bids on multiple items from the same seller will be bad for most sellers in the long run.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    It’s too heavy handed. Like others have said, I’ve literally gone 25 years on eBay paying immediately unless there was permission to group items to be shipped together. Why bust my balls? Focus on people who have actually done something wrong.

I agree with you completely, but this is not how we do things in the new world.
    You actually expect eBay to spend the time to only "punish" the offenders?
    Easier to just implement the new system.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay did not create the problem. Shady/lazy buyers did. It might not be perfect across the board, but it stops some of the junk.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

No.

• Options

@steel75 said:
    Ebay did not create the problem. Shady/lazy buyers did. It might not be perfect across the board, but it stops some of the junk.

eBay cares about one thing;

Making money by driving up prices and collecting higher fees.

They certainly don't do anything to help their honest customers save money. This was done for one reason and one reason only, to improve eBay's bottom line.

I do have a question that is off topic;
    What happens to the (10%?) tax that is charged on every (?) transaction, if the seller and buyer both live in states with no sales tax, and why shouldn't they get this $ refunded?

• Options
    edited December 26, 2023 11:16AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@steel75 said:

eBay cares about one thing;

Making money by driving up prices and collecting higher fees.

They certainly don't do anything to help their honest customers save money. This was done for one reason and one reason only, to improve eBay's bottom line.

I do have a question that is off topic;
    What happens to the (10%?) tax that is charged on every (?) transaction, if the seller and buyer both live in states with no sales tax, and why shouldn't they get this $ refunded?

any extra or wrongly collected sales tax is to be consider a $ gift to eBay. If pointed out them, a high bonus eBay exec will simply send Moose and Knuckles to your way to "convince" you to change your mind.

It's certainly happened recently and is USA public record;
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/two-former-ebay-executives-sentenced-prison-cyberstalking

• Options

But if I forget to, or mis-scan something at Walmart I'm "stealing".........right?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@PaulMaul said:

No.

I recently sent an offer to a seller and when he accepted, it was paid for automatically.

Wouldn't this mean the do have my password?

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 9:29PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@PaulMaul said:

No.

I recently sent an offer to a seller and when he accepted, it was paid for automatically.

Nope. Its strictly link-age that was approved by you. As was mentioned earlier.

@RufussCkingston said:

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@PaulMaul said:

No.

That was me. On my end it showed that if I do accept, I will be paid immediately. It wasn't immediate though, which I thought was weird. It actually took about 20-30 minutes.
    When I have made an offer, ebay makes me go through the checkout process with Paypal as if it was a done deal.
    It then says if the seller does accept, the payment process will go through.
    (Joe, I'm heading out the door now to the post office)

• Options

Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether. While I don't purchase a ton from AHs, every one I've ever purchased from billed me and I had to remit payment. It's the nature of auctions. Holding buyers accountable and lowering fees would reduce the number of sellers leaving their platform more than this ever will.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to look up nanny state. :'(

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    I had to look up nanny state. :'(

As did I. What's even more embarrassing as it does not appear this is a millennial term, we should have learned about this in middle school history apparently.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether. While I don't purchase a ton from AHs, every one I've ever purchased from billed me and I had to remit payment. It's the nature of auctions. Holding buyers accountable and lowering fees would reduce the number of sellers leaving their platform more than this ever will.

"Ebay is not Amazon, if they want to be a marketplace like that then they'll have to scrap auctions altogether."

Most of Amazon actually is auctions, just not like an Ebay auction. An Amazon auction is known as a "reverse auction" whereby the sellers bid for the lowest price to win sales.

Usually the lowest price seller on an item, wins what is known as the "buy box" which most buyers on Amazon automatically click for a purchase.