Home Sports Talk

This Tom Brady Expos thing

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been keeping an eye on this card for a couple of days now, 2023 Bowman Draft auto Tom Brady, which features Brady as a baseball player for the Montreal Expos. This card has caught serious fire. Copies that are numbered to 50 selling for this much? I also heard there is a bounty of $500,000 for the 1/1 superfractor.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never even heard of this card let alone seen one!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card is selling like hotcakes, this is just some of the recent sales.

There's also a Bill Belichick card which features him as the manager for the Expos!

edited December 27, 2023 4:36AM

@perkdog said:
    Never even heard of this card let alone seen one!

It's insane, and the card is on fire, I've never seen anything like it.

Here's a better look at the card, a PSA graded copy.

Holy crap, the 1/1 superfractor was actually pulled from a pack and could be worth over $1 million, here's the story on the news.

https://youtu.be/mIs0Xnuv2RU?si=Ad4yclB58j9-zrC3

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is insane!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is some sort of a fantasy item, right? Maybe some minor league team puts out some cards of its players, but when I was a kid, the only rookie cards that were issued by a company like Bowman were for guys who were close to making the Big Leagues.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

This card is actually a tribute to what might have been, In 1995, the Montreal Expos drafted a left-handed hitting catcher out of Serra High School in San Mateo, California named Tom Brady. But instead of continuing his time on the diamond after an impressive high school baseball career, Brady went to play football as a quarterback at the University of Michigan.

He was a left handed hitter, and can still hit the ball left handed.

From baseball reference.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it is a neat "gimmick" of sorts. I will eventually get one (not the auto)

I think after the "newness" wears off prices will drop dramatically

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Not to be outdone.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of money for a card from a player who I think won't make it into the MLB hall of fame.

Perhaps Brady may have been a better football player? We shall never know.

You think that's something, you should see Tom Brady shoot a basketball, he could have played for the Celtics with this jump shot. Brady is wearing the backwards hat in this video, shooting around with his son.

https://youtu.be/b3N9rSqp20U?si=FZnBFqhImzsh92qf

Yes.

Brady can do it all, football, baseball, basketball. We're talking about possibly the greatest athlete of all-time here.

@stevek said:
    That's a lot of money for a card from a player who I think won't make it into the MLB hall of fame.

Perhaps Brady may have been a better football player? We shall never know.

you dont know.

there is still time. He's only 46

@doubledragon said:
    Brady can do it all, football, baseball, basketball. We're talking about possibly the greatest athlete of all-time here.

yes, this!!