Home Sports Talk
Options

The official "collectibles from my youth" thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all those George Brett cards.

His career of becoming the second greatest third baseman of all time, is quite an accomplishment. 😉

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of a bunch of old 1980's/90's magazines (Beckett/Tuff Stuff/Hoops/Slam/SI) with Mj on the cover, the only collectibles that I still own from my youth are these three.

Looking back to that era,its tough to remember that at one time (around 1987-88) in my card binder i had one 9 pocket page full of his '86 Fleer #57 rookies and the other side had 9 of Mj's '86 Sticker.

I sold off so many to my freshman shop teacher Mr Habib lol. I hate thinking about the huge assortment of good stuff that he got from me like 86 Fleer basketball Rcs & stars/89 UD Griffey rcs/89 Score Football Rcs and so much more.

I guess I could also look at it from the angle of I got a decent education on how to sell sportscards at a pretty young age,13-14, long before ebay and the internet became a thing. Looking back,I can still hear him telling me that we had to hurry up because I needed to get back to class when we were in the middle of going back & forth on condition & prices lol.

• Options

Somewhat related, I have a 9yr old nephew,Harper, that was born and raised in Germany that I only get to see maybe once or twice a year when my sister and my niece & nephew come to visit. They just arrived for a 2 week trip for the holidays and while I knew that Harper collected Pokemon cards,he tells me that he not only started collecting basketball cards,he joined his school's team.
    He also told me that his father has been showing him YT videos to teach him who some of the current/older players are and he tells me that he really liked Michael Jordan & Ron Harper the most,not knowing that I've been an MJ nut since the 80's lol.

I also found out that my sister started buying him MJ cards and paid twice as much for a Jordan 1989 Hoops All Star PSA 9 card (not even knowing what PSA was or what the grade meant) than it was worth lol. After lecturing her to not buy any Michael Jordan cards without showing me what cards and how much beforehand, I gave my nephew a TON of Jordan stuff.

A few UD MJ career highlights sets
    6 of the 1996(?) 4x6 UD Diamond Vision cards(sort of like the 80's Sportflics)
    about 20 of the 4x6 MJ Nike Retro Sneaker cards
    plus numerous other items along with a few nice leather binders and pages to fit all sizes of cards.

My son never really caught the card collecting bug other than Pokemon/Yugioh stuff but hopefully my nephew got hooked. 😉

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd

awesome posts. did you buy 86F packs when they first came out?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

awesome posts. did you buy 86F packs when they first came out?

I did but I had no clue of the siginifcance of what they were at the time. My intro in card collecting was around 86-88 with
    86 Fleer BKB
    86 Topps FB
    87 Topps BB
    and Hockey (not sure 86 or 87, it was Ron Hextall/Luc Robitaille rc year)

i kind of lucked out because there where two stores that sold cards nearby, one across the street from my school that had everything but basketball and then a Cumberland Farms near where I lived about a 10-15 minute walk away from the school that had basketball and a few oddball stuff.
    Only one of the 5-6 kids from my class that were into cards liked basketball cards so I never had to worry about the others scooping up all of the 86F packs before me and that one kid that did collect them ended up trading all of his basketball cards for all of my hockey stuff plus some football stuff. Thats how I ended up with so many Jordans plus all of the other stars too.

It was weird though because I remember CF having 86 Fleer BKB for a couple years then they had a ton of 88 Fleer BKB but I don't remember ever buying a single pack of 87. That 87 Mj above came from a card shop a year or later.

• Options

@erikthredd

next question..............do you remember what you paid for those packs? B)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

Just .65 per pack and they were dumped into this 2' wide x 3' tall round basket/kiosk thing that also had all kinds of random packs,some other sports plus nonsport stuff. By the time the 88 Fleer BSK was released those boxes got to sit on the candy counter.

Ahh, to go back in time lol.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 12:18PM

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

Just .65 per pack and they were dumped into this 2' wide x 3' tall round basket/kiosk thing that also had all kinds of random packs,some other sports plus nonsport stuff. By the time the 88 Fleer BSK was released those boxes got to sit on the candy counter.

Ahh, to go back in time lol.

i knew that would be painful, and it was :#

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of collecting, I once was doing the 1975 baseball set on the PSA registry and got to over 50% complete. I had a really nice set going because i focused on great centering and lack of print dots etc.
    It’s a 660 card set so I was over 330 cards. Then at some point I decided I didn’t want to finish it and have 600 common cards graded. I didn’t want Mike Caldwell or Del Unser in gem mint 10 or mint 9 or any other grade. So I sold my half set because I figured if I’m spending money on cards they’re going to be star cards.

So I just started a project where I’m going to collect one card each from topps 1952 through 2001 (50 years) and every card will be a different hall of fame player. They won’t be the highest graded cards but they will be nice looking. I’ll be leaving out a few hall of famers because I won’t be able to fit them all in but I’ll be getting the top super stars.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

I do have the 1975 and > @stevek said:

His career of becoming the second greatest third baseman of all time, is quite an accomplishment. 😉

Steve, the only thing I really disagree with about those Brett-Schmidt debates were Dallas and 1948swellrobinson would always act like Brett lost every other game for the Royals because of bad defense.
    When he first came up he did struggle at third base and made quite a few errors but by 1985 he actually won a gold glove and should have been mvp that year. And they didn’t give him that GG, he earned it. And those two never did acknowledge that you can’t compare their defensive numbers because Brett never had a pitcher hitting a weak grounder to him 4 times a game instead of a DH smashing the ball at him. And no Schmidt fielding bunts from pitchers didn’t make him special he’s already playing in because well, it’s a pitcher batting!

It’s fine that Schmidt may have been better overall but Brett’s defensive struggles have been greatly exaggerated. I saw him make many great plays but his early reputation unfairly stuck with him his entire career.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    I do have the 1975 and > @stevek said:

Steve, the only thing I really disagree with about those Brett-Schmidt debates were Dallas and 1948swellrobinson would always act like Brett lost every other game for the Royals because of bad defense.
    When he first came up he did struggle at third base and made quite a few errors but by 1985 he actually won a gold glove and should have been mvp that year. And they didn’t give him that GG, he earned it. And those two never did acknowledge that you can’t compare their defensive numbers because Brett never had a pitcher hitting a weak grounder to him 4 times a game instead of a DH smashing the ball at him. And no Schmidt fielding bunts from pitchers didn’t make him special he’s already playing in because well, it’s a pitcher batting!

It’s fine that Schmidt may have been better overall but Brett’s defensive struggles have been greatly exaggerated. I saw him make many great plays but his early reputation unfairly stuck with him his entire career.

Brett had one of the greatest home runs I've ever seen before or since. But it's probably long forgotten.

Most if not virtually all home runs, lose some speed and trajectory by the time it reaches the outfield fence. Every hunter knows this when firing at game from a long distance. Adjusting their aim a bit higher than the target site, to account for the force of gravity on the bullet.

Now of course it's the Mantle and Stargell type home runs that make it to various folklore, and the backs of baseball cards, because of the huge distances. However in my view, this Brett home run was more impressive. An absolute rope, and over the dead center field fence. Not some short right field porch home run. Didn't seem to me like the height of it decreased an inch when it sailed over the fence.

Now I've read where some say a few of those upper deck Mantle moon shots, were still on the way up when it reached the upper deck seats. Perhaps that may be true. But the way of this Brett home run. made it the most remarkable visually in my opinion. And I'm not even a Brett fan.

• Options

Steve cool story!
    I always thought it was amazing that in the 1971 draft the Royals got Brett with pick number 29 and then the Phillies took Schmidt with pick 30.
    I remember Brett telling a story that he wasn’t happy going to this new franchise as the Royals were only established in 1969. He wanted to go to the Red Sox or Dodgers but it was one of his brothers who told him the Royals were the best thing to happen to him because they needed quality players a lot more than the top clubs and he could work his way through the minors faster with KC.

Anyway 2 players picked back to back in a mlb draft and they both become the greatest player in their team’s history. What are the odds of that happening? 😳

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    Steve cool story!
    I always thought it was amazing that in the 1971 draft the Royals got Brett with pick number 29 and then the Phillies took Schmidt with pick 30.
    I remember Brett telling a story that he wasn’t happy going to this new franchise as the Royals were only established in 1969. He wanted to go to the Red Sox or Dodgers but it was one of his brothers who told him the Royals were the best thing to happen to him because they needed quality players a lot more than the top clubs and he could work his way through the minors faster with KC.

Anyway 2 players picked back to back in a mlb draft and they both become the greatest player in their team’s history. What are the odds of that happening? 😳

Also illustrates how MLB scouts can be just as wrong as NFL scouts, letting Brett and Schmidt drift down to 29 and 30 in a draft. Brett may have been less obvious, but Schmidt had an athletic body born to play baseball.

The "great" Danny Goodwin drafted first, lifetime batting average of .236 😆

1 1 JR Danny Goodwin Chicago White Sox C Peoria Central (Peoria,IL)
    1 2 JR Jay Franklin San Diego Padres P James Madison (Vienna,VA)
    1 3 JR Tommy Bianco Milwaukee Brewers SS Sewanhaka (Elmont,NY)
    1 4 JR Condredge Holloway Montreal Expos SS Robert E. Lee High School (Huntsville,AL)
    1 5 JR Roy Branch Kansas City Royals P William Beaumont (St. Louis, MO)
    1 6 JR Roy Thomas Philadelphia Phillies P Lompoc High School (Lompoc, CA)
    1 7 JR Roger Quiroga Washington Senators P Ball High School (Galveston, TX)
    1 8 JR Ed Kurpiel St. Louis Cardinals 1B-OF Archbishop Molloy (Jamaica,NY)
    1 9 JR David Sloan Cleveland Indians P Santa Clara (Santa Clara, CA)
    1 10 JR Taylor Duncan Atlanta Braves SS Grant High School (Sacramento, CA)
    1 11 JR Tom Veryzer Detroit Tigers SS Islip (Islip,NY)
    1 12 JR Neil Rasmussen Houston Astros SS Arcadia High School (Arcadia, CA)
    1 13 JR Frank Tanana California Angels P Detroit Catholic Central (Novi,MI)
    1 14 JR Rich Puig New York Mets 2B Hillsborough High School (Tampa, FL)
    1 15 JR Jim Rice Boston Red Sox OF T.L. Hanna (Anderson, SC)
    1 16 JR Jeff Wehmeier Chicago Cubs P
    1 17 JR Sugar Bear Daniels Oakland Athletics P MacKenzie (Detroit, MI)
    1 18 JR Frank Riccelli San Francisco Giants P Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse,NY)
    1 19 JR Terry Whitfield New York Yankees OF Palo Verde Valley (Blythe,CA)
    1 20 JR Rick Rhoden Los Angeles Dodgers P
    1 21 JR Dale Soderholm Minnesota Twins SS Coral Park (Miami, FL)
    1 22 JR Craig Reynolds Pittsburgh Pirates SS Reagan High School (Houston, TX)
    1 23 JR Randy Stein Baltimore Orioles thD Ganesha (Pomona, CA)
    1 24 JR Mike Miley Cincinnati Reds SS East Jefferson (Metairie,LA)
    2 25 JR Bill Sharp Chicago White Sox OF Ohio State University
    2 26 JR Bill Boynton San Diego Padres P Springfield High School (Skowhegan,ME)
    2 27 JR Larry Anderson Milwaukee Brewers P El Rancho High School (Pico Rivera, CA)
    2 28 JR Dan Warthen Montreal Expos P North (Omaha, NE)
    2 29 JR George Brett Kansas City Royals SS El Segundo High School (El Segundo, CA)
    2 30 JR Mike Schmidt Philadelphia Phillies SS Ohio University

• Options

Steve- thanks, had never actually seen that list before. Can’t really fault the Angels and Red Sox, they got really good players in Tanana and Rice. Wouldn’t it have been great if KC picked Brett in the first round and then Schmidt in the second round?😆
    Then instead of going back to back in the draft they would have been hitting back to back for the Royals for 18-20 years. Schmidt at third base and Brett either left or right field. Man that would have been great!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Speaking of collections it might be time I went through my 1500 1987 topps Bo Jackson cards. I’ve only looked at them once a couple years ago and I only checked about 50-75 of them and found several really well centered cards. Problem is I would have to get PSA 10’s to make it worth it. If I get them out this weekend I’ll post some pics. I also have 500 Will Clark 1987 topps.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    Steve- thanks, had never actually seen that list before. Can’t really fault the Angels and Red Sox, they got really good players in Tanana and Rice. Wouldn’t it have been great if KC picked Brett in the first round and then Schmidt in the second round?😆
    Then instead of going back to back in the draft they would have been hitting back to back for the Royals for 18-20 years. Schmidt at third base and Brett either left or right field. Man that would have been great!

I attended the first two WS games in 1980, Phillies versus the Royals. Really a great series especially since it was the first Phillies WS championship.

Sorry to rub that in - I just couldn't help myself. 😉

• Options
    edited December 27, 2023 1:58PM

found this dude last night, still preserved in his original unopened state for some mysterious reason. i liked Star Wars back in the day, but i honestly have no idea who the hell Lobot even was. naturally i then went to ebay to see if i could find its current market value, and lo and behold, a seller has one ending tonight in an auction format (link below if this sort of thing interests you). i'm glad the price on his OG Toys R Us sticker isn't torn off the way mine is. ninety-seven cents. i'm not sure you can buy anything for .97 nowadays. maybe half a cookie, or perhaps a Justin Fields rookie card, but that's about it. oh to be able to travel back in time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176106655662?epid=1501731874&hash=item2900c64fae:g:5rMAAOSw1TJlfSTd&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4JYzrNbVAb4l7TRmFYgAkfSjDIcRM5cpVyjsKN7vwQv5WxhZQ13/aLK5hjGGqlY3NzgRO7k+w8qTBPoNmG9v61EtlPEbjO4jh21j8Y4oqhjCbXkfwYGB+a86REWsg8GGXymZLjDE1pWxeSMf6HeSUZyvr91Kwsnk6Ebp3kGkI470thGEyTL/394uXkbs+2YSXR+HYJ1uBbxQp/xXgYST+bVFdNCubx6Em5YiH61Y6dLNPWp4DdF+KtzXIJCLksein+2i4sLgXHf0aBji+BnylQ3AzPFZ+idGIusAG571oj9h|tkp:Bk9SR-iE-M2VYw

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey galaxy27...here ya go... B)

• Options

hey @LandrysFedora ...here ya go... B)

• Options

hey GroceryRackPack...check out your guys... B)

• Options

oh here we go........General Lee with Bo & Luke Duke figures from 1980

amazingly this car appears to be in better shape than my own

where oh where is Daisy

• Options

If you guys want to get in a few games of Whiffle, just let me know…

And…4 Sure I need to send this one to PSA for authentication…

• Options

This is the best autographed photo I ever got as a kid through the mail from Willis Reed. It’s 8” x 10”. Most of the time if you got anything it was a smaller photo and a facsimile auto.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Willie very inconspicuously showing off his 79 World Series ring 😄

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding stuff everyone

I wish I had some stuff to contribute but that is a sore subject for me, we had a house fire and all my stuff was destroyed

Star Wars, Shogun Warriors, Micronaughts, all my sports cards ect..

Great thread

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I wish I had some stuff to contribute but that is a sore subject for me, we had a house fire and all my stuff was destroyed

Great thread

That sucks ,sorry to hear that happened to you.
    I lost interest for years when my Clemente collection got stolen.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Great thread

Paul - Very sorry to hear that. 😟

• Options

Darin i'm glad you popped this thread -- i really dig all of the signed photos. as a Bears fan, i loved Page. but what's funny is that because i was so young, i didn't even realize at the time that the bulk of his career was in Minnesota.

so, i've told this story before. because of that, i didn't feel like typing it again. i dug it up, then C&P'd. except this time, i've included pictures. TL;DR warning!

back in the Spring of '98, one of my best amigos from college contacted me to see if i'd be interested in going to St. Louis to catch a handful of games at some point during the season. reason being, he was/still is a diehard Cards fan. at the time i followed baseball religiously, so i was in like flynn. a couple of other college buddies decided to go as well.

it was April when we started looking at a calendar, so the season itself was in its infancy. we settled on Labor Day weekend, which would allow us to see four STL games -- Sept 4-6 against the Reds, and Sept 7 against the Cubs (Labor Day). our plans were to take one extra day off to fly back to Texas, on the 8th.

by now you should know where i'm going with this.

long story just a little less long, it was an unbelievable stroke of luck. all hell broke loose that summer, and by the time we reached St. Louis the entire city was buzzing. we could not believe our little trip had the real chance of coinciding with history, and there was no place we would have rather been.

Friday, Sept 4 -- Reds beat the Cardinals 3-2. no HR from Big Mac. still at 59.

Saturday, Sept 5 -- Cardinals beat the Reds 7-0. McGwire launched a cloud-scraper for #60. at this point things were getting very serious, because we now knew that we had two shots to see him tie or break Maris's record.

Sunday, Sept 6 -- St. Louis beat Cincinnati 5-2. no ding dong from Mac, which was a real bummer. but the consolation prize for my buddy who coordinated the trip was the fact that a) STL won again, and b) Ray Lankford (his fav player) hit a tater instead. more on him later.

Monday, Sept 7 -- STL beat Cincy 6-3, but the outcome turned out to be peripheral. when we originally made our plans months earlier, we decided to splurge for this particular game. last one of the trip, so let's open our wallets. if memory serves, we paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 apiece to sit a few rows behind the Cardinals dugout. remember, these were earliest-part-of-the-season-in-1998 prices. well, one vivid memory i have is a scalper surreptitiously confronting me in the hotel lobby the morning of the game and offering $1500 for my ticket. that amount is nothing to sneeze at now, make no mistake about it, but back then it was an extremely tidy sum -- especially when you take into consideration that i was just a few years removed from college. but there was less than zero chance of me selling mine, and the same held true for my three compadres. we wanted to be there to witness history in those killer seats, and no amount of money could sway us.

and it happened. Big Mac ripped one off of Mike Morgan and #61 was in the books. the most surreal sports moment of my life, by a very healthy margin. i'll never forget it. i'll also never forget McGwire yanking one foul later in the game, otherwise #62 would have gone down as well. had that happened, the stadium would have exploded.

all four of us contemplated taking yet another day off from work just to stick around and see the Tuesday game against the Cubs. we knew what was going to happen. and sure enough, it did. but we collectively had to get back to Texas, thus we missed record-breaking #62 off of Trachsel. no regrets there.

back to Ray Lankford as i wrap this up. kind of a funny story looking back. so, my buddy had a borderline unhealthy bromance with RL, and during that trip he took it one step too far. i can't recall which game it was -- i believe it was the 2nd or 3rd we saw -- but the Cardinals had a promotion called "Shirt off my back," or something similar. they sold raffle tickets at a buck apiece and if you were extremely lucky, the name of a Cardinals player was unveiled once you were finished scratching. if you were so fortunate, you then made your way down to the field and said player would remove his game-used jersey and put it on you for the entire stadium to see.

well, my buddy supposedly left to go to the bathroom prior to the game. when he returned, my eyeballs almost yo-yo'd out of their sockets when i saw the colossal bag of tickets he was cradling. and yes, this convo is verbatim because it's something you can't possibly forget.

"what the **** is that???"

"doesn't matter what this is."

"i seriously can't believe this. how much did you just drop?"

"doesn't matter how much i just dropped. know why? because i know Ray is in here."

😂😂😂

well, as it turns out, Ray was not in there. and neither was any other Cardinals player. lol $500 right down the tubes. in my entire life i don't think i've scratched my own ass as much as he scratched the next couple of hours. then of course there was the obligatory homicidal stare toward the guy whose shoulders were on the receiving end of Ray's jersey. 🔪

end of story. now for the things i brought back to Texas over a quarter century ago. things that, if there weren't so many cheating mf'ers at the time, might actually be worth a buck or two today:

@GroceryRackPack some grid fodder for ya! 👇

and last but not least.................sorry, please try again X 500

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my childhood I remember having and playing with the following (most of which are considered "collectible"):

1. Erector Sets;

2. Lincoln Logs;

3. Lionel Trains;

4. Space Trainer;

5. Hot Wheels cars and tracks;

6. Model race cars and tracks;

7. Build it your self model kits (of race cars, ships, aircraft, space craft, etc.)

8. Baseball cards (obtained from packs of bubble gum) - my friends and I clothes pinned them to our bike frames to make sounds as we rode our bikes;

9. Cap guns;

10 Cowboys vs. Indians garb and weapons;

1. Army men;

2. Etch A Scetch;

3. Play dough;

4. Superballs;

5. Balsawood airplanes;

6. Multiple board games;

7. Stingray bikes with banana seats (good for popping and riding wheelies);

8. .22 caliber rifles; and

9. Metal cars and trucks (I still have this UHaul truck and trailer that I received when I was ten years old)

Unfortunately the majority of those items from my childhood are long gone.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2024 5:08PM

@pdoidoi said:

@perkdog said:

Great thread

That sucks ,sorry to hear that happened to you.
    I lost interest for years when my Clemente collection got stolen.

Uhk that is awful, stolen??

Years ago when I was into the Bowman football I was selling some of my extras and a guy who was in the top 5 or 6 on the set registry with a high end collection was buying my cards and I asked him if he was building a second set and he told me his set got stolen, apparently he had a painter do some work in his house and the guy stole them, he wasn't able to recoup them at the time we were talking.

Sorry to hear bud

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had Johnny Reb cannon
    Mattel Vac-u-form
    Kenner Bulldog tank. Large and small
    Testors rubber band powered balsa wood planes.
    Tonka metal toy trucks
    Greenie stick-um caps for toy guns
    Aurora HO race cars
    Universal Monster kits: Frankenstein,Phantom of the Opera,Creature,Hunchback, Dracula etc.
    Belt buckle derringer gun. Activated by pushing out your belly.
    Enough now. Getting bummed out for all those missing toys long gone. Probably more if I thought hard enough.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have my Super Friends metal lunch box with thermos that I took to school my first few years.

• Options

This is something that I've owned since 1980, and very likely the sports collectible that I've owned the longest. Don't worry, it was given to me empty. Lol

Back sticker barely hanging on.

Info stamped on the bottom.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    This is something that I've owned since 1980, and very likely the sports collectible that I've owned the longest. Don't worry, it was given to me empty. Lol

Back sticker barely hanging on.

Info stamped on the bottom.

That's Cool... B)

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I still have my Super Friends metal lunch box with thermos that I took to school my first few years.

where's the Wonder Twins? or did those two arrive later in the the TV series?

Wonder Twins Activate... :)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

Very cool that it seems to be complete.
    It even has an ,"Out To Lunch" sticker bottom right, first photo.
    Kool.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:

@countdouglas said:

Very cool that it seems to be complete.
    It even has an ,"Out To Lunch" sticker bottom right, first photo.
    Kool.

Teacher used to give us all stickers for various achievements. Boys got sports stickers, girls got unicorns, something like that. I remember I always asked for the NFL football helmets, and would stick them across the top of my desk. I believe I nearly had all of the teams.

Then, after one long weekend, I came back to school, and my desk had been wiped clean by the janitor, and I was told by the teacher that I was NOT to do that. Mind you, it took months to get that many stickers. The teacher and janitor could see that I had been doing this all year long, but for whatever reason, decided that all of my progress should be wiped out.

I'm guessing the Eagles sticker found its home on my lunchbox shortly after that, but have no recollection of the details, just that I'm not really of the mind to remove it after 45 years or so.

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@countdouglas said:

where's the Wonder Twins? or did those two arrive later in the the TV series?

Wonder Twins Activate... :)

Here is a view of the 4 sides. I believe that my mom had at one point put a piece of masking tape across the top of my lunch box and had my name written in ink, to avoid someone else taking my lunch by mistake. The ink has faded and the tape deteriorated over time. I've just left it as is. The flash on my phone kind of washed out the color in these pics, but in hand, the colors are all comic book vibrant.

No Wonder Twins...

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I stopped being a collector at some point 10-15 years ago and am more of a non-collector (i.e. I enjoy getting rid of stuff). However, I do enjoy seeing the stuff others collect. Good stuff!

• Options

I’m sending this one to PSA for authenticity… :)

• Options
    edited February 19, 2024 4:42PM

found this over the weekend -- my ticket for the first game played at the Ballpark in Arlington

where temps reached 1,375 degrees on the field

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Nice thread galaxy !!!

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Lol. Just kidding 😉

• Options

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

This thread needs some Major Matt Mason with Calypso.