Home Sports Talk
Options

The official "collectibles from my youth" thread

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 19, 2023 10:00PM in Sports Talk

this could potentially be a fun read -- feel free to participate!

so, i was rummaging through some crap in my garage last weekend and lo and behold, i stumbled across this puppy. i hadn't seen this poster in ages. no, i was never a DC fan. but it was all Dallas Cowboys all the time where i grew up. i remember having a handful of these, including the one from '77 when they won the Super Bowl. but ostensibly this is the only one that survived. i remember Mickey D's having a running promotion in the late 70s/early 80s and they dished these out.

i may try to track down Tony D (and anyone else on the '81 roster) at a card show one of these days and get them to slap their John Hancock on the front.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2023 1:23PM

I will add to this thread when I can for sure, great idea!!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember when you could get an ice cream sundae at DQ in a miniature batting helmet? I had several including royals, twins, A’s. Lived in the country so never got to town as much as I wanted to get more. Have to look to see if I still have any.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey galaxy...

I do like the idea "collectibles from your youth"....Um gimme a couple of day...I's got Lots of Good Junk to post up here...though too and thinking now I just might need another few more extra days to post some pics...

my flannel is at the cleaners... :)

• Options

@Darin said:
    Does anyone remember when you could get an ice cream sundae at DQ in a miniature batting helmet? I had several including royals, twins, A’s. Lived in the country so never got to town as much as I wanted to get more. Have to look to see if I still have any.

hey Darin...hold that thought... :)

• Options

game used jersey’s… well from Sears: Bert Jones & Fran Tarkenton and to the left there; one of many of my Tudor electric football boards…now you guys know where I get my football backgrounds from…

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

The opening post is great, but just for the record, I can't give it a "like" because it contains Dallas Cowboys memorabilia. 😉

• Options
    edited December 19, 2023 2:26PM

stevek not happy with the content contained within my opening post, but i know he'll appreciate this one. i've shown my Wilbert Montgomery foam ball with chunks missing before. even got him to sign it in pink back in 1981..............how freaking special is that? 😅

i vividly recall my future alma mater playing a song that was created especially for this appreciation dinner. one of the lyrics was, "we wish we could trade Tony Dorsett for Wilbert Montgomery." remember, Cowboys country. and at the time, Wilbert was just as good of a back as Tony was.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would of liked to post my collectibles from my youth, but Mom threw them all out. Mainly my 60-63 Topps baseball cards. :'( . Along with trains, Aurora monster figures,HO racing cars.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:
    stevek not happy with the content contained within my opening post, but i know he'll appreciate this one. i've shown my Wilbert Montgomery foam ball with chunks missing before. even got him to sign it in pink back in 1981..............how freaking special is that? 😅

i vividly recall my future alma mater playing a song that was created especially for this appreciation dinner. one of the lyrics was, "we wish we could trade Tony Dorsett for Wilbert Montgomery." remember, Cowboys country. and at the time, Wilbert was just as good of a back as Tony was.

I wish i could give that one 100 likes. 😊

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I would of liked to post my collectibles from my youth, but Mom threw them all out. Mainly my 60-63 Topps baseball cards. :'( . Along with trains, Aurora monster figures,HO racing cars.

Unfortunately, many Moms equated baseball cards with gambling, and technically they were right. I've mentioned this before, I think in the trading cards forum, we'd play baseball card games, sometimes with hundreds of cards in the pot. High stakes at that age. 😆

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    1980 unopened McDonald’s 1.5 Million Touchdown…

I can see not opening an unopened baseball wax pack. But how the yell did you resist not opening that McDonalds thing?

You've got infinite more will power than me. I woulda had that thing opened before i even touched the burger or the fries. 😂

• Options

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Unfortunately, many Moms equated baseball cards with gambling, and technically they were right. I've mentioned this before, I think in the trading cards forum, we'd play baseball card games, sometimes with hundreds of cards in the pot. High stakes at that age. 😆

We had an enterprising kid in our neighborhood. He would buy packs, keep the Yankees then reseal the cards with white paper not the original wrappers. Then try to sell them to us for 5 cents a pack. Earliest form of pack resealing. Most of us did not go for it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@stevek said:

@GroceryRackPack said:
    1980 unopened McDonald’s 1.5 Million Touchdown…

I can see not opening an unopened baseball wax pack. But how the yell did you resist not opening that McDonalds thing?

You've got infinite more will power than me. I woulda had that thing opened before i even touched the burger or the fries. 😂

hey stevek...

well back then in 80, I was only 10 and figured that Mickey D's wouldn't give a 10 year old 1.5 Mill...I thought it was cool and just kept it with my football cards...my unopened "Will-Power" is Pretty Cool; anyways I think so...

say like you where to come over here, I would say to you: open the downstairs freezer door and look to your right, inside of those heavily wrapped freezer bags are 2 boxes of unopened frozen pretzel's with Mike Trout showing, or open up the refrigerator door and look to your right, you'll see two unopened packages of John Madden's seasoned chicken wing mix...

My All Time Ultimate Unopened Goal would be a Football Rack; showing that one guy that plays on that red team, the other guy that plays on that powder blue team, and maybe a checklist to complete that rack...Oh and those two guys that I was talking about; I do believe that they play on AFC West teams... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Darin said:

I'm still looking....I's got 2 or 3 other places to search for you... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Darin said:

hey Darin...
    my search party mission was a Great Success....

I'll set ya up with some better pic's in the next few days... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Darin said:

hey Darin...
    my search party mission was a Great Success....

I'll set ya up with some better pic's in the next few days... :)

Nice!!
    I threw mine out sometime in the past but I never had very many, probably only 4 or 5.
    You have a very nice collection of them, looking forward to your pics!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Let's play the match game with Gene Rayburn…

and With-Out Cheating…

1 Septien
    11 Danny
    14 Gary Hogeboom
    20 Ron Springs
    24 Everson Walls
    26 Preston Pearson
    31 Benny Barnes
    33 Um I think that's T.D.
    41 Charlie Waters
    42 Hughes, can't think of the 1st name
    44 Robert Newhouse
    50 D.D Lewis
    53 Brew something not sure
    54 Randy
    56 Hollywood
    63 Larry Cole
    72 Too Tall
    78 John Dutton
    79 Harvey
    80 Tony Hill
    83 Golden Richards
    84 Doug Cosbie
    86 Butch Johnson
    87 I should know this one
    88 Drew
    89 Billy Joe

and the Cowboys are one of my Un-Loved teams...

:)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

and With-Out Cheating…

1 Septien
    11 Danny
    14 Gary Hogeboom
    20 Ron Springs
    24 Everson Walls
    26 Preston Pearson
    31 Benny Barnes
    41 Charlie Waters
    44 Robert Newhouse
    50 D.D Lewis
    54 Randy
    56 Hollywood
    63 Larry Cole
    72 Too Tall
    78 John Dutton
    79 Harvey
    80 Tony Hill
    83 Golden Richards
    84 Doug Cosbie
    86 Butch Johnson
    88 Drew
    89 Billy Joe

Dam - I'm never going one on one sports trivia against you. 😉

• Options

cannot believe i found these bad boys tonight. and as if the surprise couldn't get any sweeter, my parents had these laminated back in the day and they're in immaculate shape. now if only my cardboard had aged this gracefully..........

the 77 team that won the Super Bowl against the Broncos, the 78 team that lost in the Super Bowl against the Steelers, and the 79 team that was Staubach's last season. i was at his final game (playoff loss to the Rams).

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

and With-Out Cheating…

1 Septien
    11 Danny
    14 Gary Hogeboom
    20 Ron Springs
    24 Everson Walls
    26 Preston Pearson
    31 Benny Barnes
    41 Charlie Waters
    44 Robert Newhouse
    50 D.D Lewis
    54 Randy
    56 Hollywood
    63 Larry Cole
    72 Too Tall
    78 John Dutton
    79 Harvey
    80 Tony Hill
    83 Golden Richards
    84 Doug Cosbie
    86 Butch Johnson
    88 Drew
    89 Billy Joe

You forgot the coaches etc. in the top row.😀

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    cannot believe i found these bad boys tonight. and as if the surprise couldn't get any sweeter, my parents had these laminated back in the day and they're in immaculate shape. now if only my cardboard had aged this gracefully..........

the 77 team that won the Super Bowl against the Broncos, the 78 team that lost in the Super Bowl against the Steelers, and the 79 team that was Staubach's last season. i was at his final game (playoff loss to the Rams).

we won't talk about the 77 Cowboys... :(

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

and With-Out Cheating…

1 Septien
    11 Danny
    14 Gary Hogeboom
    20 Ron Springs
    24 Everson Walls
    26 Preston Pearson
    31 Benny Barnes
    41 Charlie Waters
    44 Robert Newhouse
    50 D.D Lewis
    54 Randy
    56 Hollywood
    63 Larry Cole
    72 Too Tall
    78 John Dutton
    79 Harvey
    80 Tony Hill
    83 Golden Richards
    84 Doug Cosbie
    86 Butch Johnson
    88 Drew
    89 Billy Joe

18 Glenn Carano?

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

18 Glenn Carano?

ya got me if it's Glenn Carano....you're the one that wears the hat... :)

• Options

• Options

• Options

Cadaco All Star Baseball... :)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I guess I was a degenerate gambler as a young kid. I am guilty of flipping baseball cards up against the shool yard wall during recess. This became an obsession with little groups doing the same thing. Our stakes were incredibly high, as the winner, (who's card got the closest to the wall), then won the other card. We were at least 10 feet from the wall, so it generally took a decent shot to beat the other guy. If you got a "leaner" (when your card actually landed in a semi vertical position on the wall, your opponent had to knock it down, or lose two cards. Competition was stiff and some kids had "shooters", their favorite card, these were almost sandpaper smooth and slid pretty well. I try not to remember that many of those cards were from the 1952 Topps set...don't ask. If a kid lost his shooter, serious bargaining began to get his gem back.

As for the stuff I used to have that somehow disappeared when we moved to a new house when I was about 7 or 8, those would include a chemistry set, an erector set, the one with the parachute, a nice lionel train set, untold baseball cards and the sin of sins, my Red Ryder bb gun. I have often thought of trying to recreate some of my cherished toys of long ago, but some are impossible. Imagine trying to get a chemistry set now!! The erector set in mint condition is well into several benjamins, the baseball cards a challenge, the trains doable, and the bb gun would never be like the original. When you're that young, you just figure your "stuff" is in one of the boxes somewhere in the masses...Wrong!! My mom had this disease called "throw it all awayitis". I understand this particular ailment was very prevalent amongst a lot of moms, like a LOT!!

I was most crushed to have lost the bb gun. However, I do have the memories.

Kinda crazy how life turns out...when I was a kid, a nickel was a big deal. A nickel bought you one of something, candy bar, not that wimpy snickers bar you see at check out lines for $1.50+++, I mean a REAL nice snickers bars. Cokes were a nickel and the bottle got you 2 cents when you brought it back to the store. Doing the math, a simple quarter had you set for a nice Saturday, if you had a dollar, you were in Nirvana. Today, I could easily buy the whole store's candy bars, baseball cards and whatever.

If you still have some of your stuff from long, long ago, keep them safe. Gotta say, life was pretty sweet then, despite not having very much money. Happier times, fun times and oddly, everybody I remember genuinely enjoyed each other. Imagine that!!

Great story. Mine was similar in many aspects. One very nice thing I'll say about my Mom, is she never threw anything away of mine without my permission. I really appreciated that. Not that she didn't want to, particularly with the baseball cards.

I don't recall exactly how many times she asked me if she could throw away those baseball cards, but i know it was at least in the double digits. I guess around the 7th grade I started fighting back a little bit, and then when she asked, I firmly said, no Mom, I'm keeping the baseball cards, please don't ask me again. Well sure as God made green apples, around six months or a year later she asked me again. LOL

• Options

unopened Kleenex tissues 1990 All Star Game...too bad the kleenex's are not Game Used...now that would be Too Cool... :)

• Options

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back unopened puzzle...

• Options

here's little preview of my Tudor electric football boards...I'm still not sure on how I would like to set up the rest of my boards & pictures in it's entirety… :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

The Empire Strikes Back was the first and only pirated video I've ever owned. A poker playing buddy was selling them for $20, so I bought one. Funny thing is I had already seen the movie in a theatre. My intent was to have a little party and show it to those who may not have seen it. Plus it was a donation to the guy who was always the fish at the table. I figure I'd win the money back quickly enough.

The video quality was semi-watchable, but really not enjoyable. So I just discarded it. Never showed it for anybody.

But that Star Wars series certainly was red hot back then. The special effects in The Empire Strikes Back was awesome. Not sure of the value of items such as this, but I would imagine it might be worth some decent coin.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

I have a few Star Wars puzzles that I have done .I was thinking of framing them for my son who loves Star Wars and Star wars lego.

• Options

Ron LeFlore bat day at Comiskey... :)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

The empty spot inside (square) I think it was for the placement of the ring.
    Lt's photo is in the players chapter of the program. He looks like a baby, so mild, little did they know the Giant inside him.

• Options

left over wallpaper from my old room…

And No…I don’t need any crazy ideas… :)

• Options

speaking of Star Wars....

i found my OG Darth Vader case with 32 action figures inside

they are quite minty -- very few times have they seen the light of day in the past 4+ decades

if only my cardboard had aged this gracefully......

(is there an echo?)

• Options

Lot’s of my Star Wars people never made it…that’s when I figured out how to properly use WD-40 and a lighter…

and if guys are wondering about my Hot-Wheels…I’d put ‘em in my dad’s vice and created car accidents…

• Options

hey @galaxy27

Gene Rayburn is back at again playing the match game with Star Wars ...

back row...
    Chewie
    IG 88
    ?
    Ben
    3PO
    Skywalker
    Oh Yeah...That's my guy BoBa Fett...Sometimes I'll call him to help me with my Non-Payer Buyers
    I think Death Squad Commander
    Skywalker
    Gweedo (and not from Risky Business}
    The Princess
    Walrus something
    ?
    Stormtrooper
    I should know that one

front row...
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Vader's A Stud
    ?
    maybe Grand Moff
    again I should know that one
    winter time Solo or Skywalker
    Lando
    Yoda
    Jawa
    Sand people
    ?
    Hooded trooper I think
    R5D4
    R2
    winter time Solo or Skywalker

• Options

@galaxy27 if only my cardboard had aged this gracefully...

a few from my very 1st wax pack in 76...

hey don't you use Sixto when you're Griddin' ??? :)

• Options
    edited December 21, 2023 4:55PM

@GroceryRackPack said:

hey don't you use Sixto when you're Griddin' ??? :)

used him today!

there's an insert in the Vader case with the names...............i'll pull it out this weekend and grade you B)

(if you zoom in on the second pic you can see a lot of them)

• Options
    edited December 21, 2023 5:42PM

You are looking live down from the goodyear blimp… :)

• Options

I think I need to get this graded. According to Beckett Immaculate is his second best RPA behind national treasure and this is the gold parallel numbered to 25. It almost makes me want to root for the bills to win the SB 😩

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Why do I have 19 PSA graded 1981 topps George Brett cards? I don’t know but now I sure have an itch to buy more. 😛

Every time - and I mean every time - I see that card, I think of my long deceased mother. She was the one that got me interested in baseball cards, buying me my first packs in 1981, and she always commented how handsome George Brett was, how she loved his blue eyes, and how this particular pic reminded her of her other love - Elvis!

I guess my dad was, at best, her third choice! Lol

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 9:20AM

@countdouglas said:

@Darin said:
    Why do I have 19 PSA graded 1981 topps George Brett cards? I don’t know but now I sure have an itch to buy more. 😛

Every time - and I mean every time - I see that card, I think of my long deceased mother. She was the one that got me interested in baseball cards, buying me my first packs in 1981, and she always commented how handsome George Brett was, how she loved his blue eyes, and how this particular pic reminded her of her other love - Elvis!

I guess my dad was, at best, her third choice! Lol

Count- nice story!
    I do know why I’m so drawn to this card. It’s not as good a story as yours but during the 1980 season I followed the Royals games with a passion as Brett chased .400 late in the season. I still remember his usual slow start, hitting around .240 or so the first month, all the nagging injuries he had, and the red hot rampage he went on as the weather heated up. I actually think he got very close to .500 for one of those summer months (for the month not year). What I remember most was how excited Denny Mathews and Fred White got when George had a huge game which was often.
    Anyway we all know he came up a tad short of .400 but over the winter I couldn’t wait for the 1981 topps cards to come out so I could see that .390 average on the back of the card. Probably why I love to collect them.

Stupid list…. Mistlin