Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS/CACG/PCGS/CAC Crossover GTG - grades revealed

CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2023 6:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This coin was in an old small white ANACS holder. Guess the ANACS and CACG grades.
Doug

Comments

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

A=45
    C=40

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 to XF40

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 40, C 45

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 to 45

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 to 35

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS: details
    CACG: details

Damaged reverse

• Options
    EASilverEASilver Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

@HillbillyCollector said:
    40 to 35

+1

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 at both

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 to 45

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 4:55AM

Nice coin and excellent images.

Grading this one is a very tough call. I suspect ANACS, depending on when they graded it would be in the 40-45 range. This date is known for obverse weakness and the slightest pattern of wear will make it look worse than it really is. If we look at the fields, the surviving lustre in protected areas combined with the detail of the eagle, I see 45 as the absolute floor. If adequate consideration is given to the date, the weakness of the strike and the overall surviving look, I don't think 50 would be a stretch or unreasonable. In contrast, any grade that starts with a 3 would be unreasonable.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 to 35

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

45, now under graded as a 40.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 to 40

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

Damaged reverse

Can you elaborate? I am not seeing the damage you are referring to.

I think it crossed at the same grade as the ANACS grade.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@1madman said:

Damaged reverse

Can you elaborate? I am not seeing the damage you are referring to.

I think it crossed at the same grade as the ANACS grade.

Possibly between the C and A in America.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin its possible, but it looks like a die crack to me. I also don't think that it would bring a details grade for such a small mark.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @privatecoin its possible, but it looks like a die crack to me. I also don't think that it would bring a details grade for such a small mark.

it could be die crack, but it looks incuse to me. After watching a few youtube videos on crossover attempts, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in a details holder. They seem to be catching the finest things and calling them details.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see the coin in a 40 or 45 holder from either service. I think if that is a scratch on the reverse, CACG is the only grading service that would bag it for that. I’ve seen much worse in straight holders from all the other services. Im going to assume that CACG either crossed at same grade, or upgraded the coin.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 to 35

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

40 to 35...

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

ANACS and CACG - 45

Did you have to crack it out to crossover to CACG? My understanding it that CACG would only except PCGS and NGC for crossover in holder.

• Options

Yes, CACG only accepts PCGS and NGC coins for crossover service. The coin was submitted raw.

Doug

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking... as others already stated:

ANACS: 45
    CACG: 40

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

40>40

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 to 30

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m betting that CACG did NOT straight grade the coin, and called it cleaned.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

45, now CACG40.

• Options

Can we get the reveal please?

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Is this the unique old small white pronged ANACS holder?

• Options

The coin was in an ANACS XF 45 holder.
    Sent raw to CACG grading with no minimum grade requested. Failed to be straight graded!
    The coin was then sent to PCGS and was graded VF35.
    The coin was then sent to CAC in New Jersey where it was stickered!!

Thanks for all the guesses. I would grade the coin XF40.
    Doug

• Options

@Crepidodera said:
    Sent raw to CACG grading with no minimum grade requested. Failed to be straight graded!
    The coin was then sent to PCGS and was graded VF35.
    The coin was then sent to CAC in New Jersey where it was stickered!!

Thanks for all the guesses. I would grade the coin XF40.
    Doug

Doug
    What was the reason given at CACG for not straight grading?

So if it was in a A=45 check
    and YOU SAY XF40 check seems I had it correct...................... :|

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:

What was the problem that CACG had with it that CAC didn't? They're going to have to make sure they're on the same page regarding that kind of thing.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the problem that CACG had with it that CAC didn't? They're going to have to make sure they're on the same page regarding that kind of thing.

Bingo.
    And, if I understand correctly, if you send it back in to CACG with the sticker, they will straight grade it….

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with ANACS that it's an XF45 so the other grading are wrong as far as I'm concerned. :#
    No matter what the grade assigned by others is, it's an attractive original coin from what I can see in your pics. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 7:00PM

@alaura22 looks like you nailed it in our opinion.
    No reason was given for the failure to straight grade other than " not holdered - below requested minimums."
    Since I didn't request a minimum grade, they thought it didn't deserve a straight grade!

Doug

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

Bingo.
    And, if I understand correctly, if you send it back in to CACG with the sticker, they will straight grade it….

So the moral of the story is you’ve spent more in grading fees (so far) than the coin is worth, downgraded it by 10 points, and are considering spending more to send it back to cacg again?

Perhaps should’ve left it be in the ANACS holder and cut it loose in a greatcollections auction with a $1 start.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin; the logic of rejection and downgrade I'll leave to the real numismatists.

• Options

I certainly didn't save money by sending it to CACG.
    I won't send the coin back to CACG, I'm happy the way it is.
    The coin is in my registry set, so leaving it in the ANACS holder wasn't an option.

Doug

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 7:34PM

@Crepidodera said:

The coin is in my registry set,

Link?

• Options

Seems like I'm the only one to say CACG didn't straight grade it....

• Options

Mike,

My set is registered at NGC, under the circulated coins only- liberty seated quarter category, as the Iowa Collection.
    Also, at PCGS in the liberty seated quarter CAC category.

Kudos to @SurfinxHI!

Doug

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this could be in the other thread where the question is if most here agree it looks to be a 40-45 and PCGS calls it a 35. Is PCGS wrong? Or do we think they net graded it to 35 because of the small scratch in reverse?

• Options

@bigjpst said:
    So this could be in the other thread where the question is if most here agree it looks to be a 40-45 and PCGS calls it a 35. Is PCGS wrong? Or do we think they net graded it to 35 because of the small scratch in reverse?

Pcgs threw a bone to the submitter and graciously net graded it a 35. I’m in the camp of agreeing with cacg details grade / refusal to holder.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@bigjpst said:

Pcgs threw a bone to the submitter and graciously net graded it a 35. I’m in the camp of agreeing with cacg details grade / refusal to holder.

Except that CACG will straight grade it now that it has a CAC sticker. So, like all other grading services, CACG doesn't always agree with itself.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@1madman said:

@bigjpst said:

Except that CACG will straight grade it now that it has a CAC sticker. So, like all other grading services, CACG doesn't always agree with itself.

The real test is to now send it to CACG and see what happens. IF they grade it, then you have the case to send it back to them/call them and say, well, you done messed that up and I want a refund of my original grading fees. Now that would be superb.

But, CAC is loathe to grade anything that has that much dirt embedded in the devices and clean fields, IMHO. Meaning that they know it has been cleaned in some way shape or form. And they originally declined to grade it. So...maybe they should stick with their gut call. Again tho, as others have pointed out, the grading services are NOT necessarily consistent day to day and they'd just likely call this a matter of inconsistency.

Surf

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@1madman said:

@bigjpst said:

You'd think that they would remember the coin and maybe go back and review it and not sticker it. Have they ever been known to reconsider and "unsticker" a coin?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@1madman said:

@bigjpst said:

Perhaps this is the smartest technique a grading company has come up with yet as to extract money from its customers? Submit to CACG first where it body bags, then go get it holdered in another tpg slab, and resubmit to cac stickering, then once it stickers resubmit back to CACG for a straight grade.

And here I thought JA said he was trying to cut costs for coin collectors? He’s able to pocket 2 grading fees and 1 sticker fee per coin. Genius or unethical? You decide

• Options

@Crepidodera said:
    In my opinion, PCGS didn't net grade the coin. They're very conservative grading liberty seated quarters.
    You need a magnifying glass to notice the small scratch on the reverse.

Did CAC also throw a bone when they stickered the coin?

Here's another coin that CACG wouldn't certify at any grade. This one is now PCGS XF40 CAC.

According to your experience on the original coin, you actually got screwed by only getting a green sticker. A gold sticker should’ve been automatic if pcgs is very conservative, and the coin is closer to a xf45.

As far as the new 1873-s shown, what is going on to the left of the shield extending to the star? I also agree with cacg not holdering this coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file