Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Half Dime Early Type using new In-Holder True Views

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2023 8:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So these are my half dime type for flowing hair and draped bust using new (Dec 2023) in-holder true views. I am not a half dime collector but these are part of a mini-type set. I think I am done with the half dimes as I like these.

For the in-holder TV: I will try to describe what I see in-hand compared to what I see on my computer screen for the in-holder TV for anyone potentially interested in them (in-holder TV). For these and the others I am pleased with the photos and only $5. There is one of the others (not here) that was a little light.

I do need to note that I did Not 'polish' or 'scratch remove' the old holders. This is because I never got around to trying it and figuring it out on a cracked out holder first and was not going to start with one of these. Therefore, on some of the in-holder TV there are visible scratched or plastic blur areas. This is not a fault of the in-holder TV as I can see them in hand (most any small scratched holder area is not seen when photographed). However, I still wanted the in-holder TV. Others might not or may want to attempt to 'polish' out the scratch patches. I will note some of them in my description. Also I use a 3X magnifier to view for this. :) Eyes not that good. :)

H10C 1795 Flowing Hair

This is a Gen4.4 holder with a solid ring (not prong). When coin flipped the reverse is rotated about 30deg cw but this probably does not matter since not a prong holder (otherwise the prongs would show rotated). There is some plastic blur on the reverse near the rim at 4 o/c and a little in liberty lower hair.

This is a representative photo but a touch dark when the viewing light is outside the holder (no plastic glare). Tilting or moving the holder and moving the light closer to the coin where there is a glare at the edge of the coin on the plastic, the coin has a lighter and more silver look in the center and the colors are lighter and brighter. The right obverse field specs almost disappear. I think a normal TV (out of holder) might be closer to this. The reverse adjustment marks also almost disappear depending on light position. This photo catches them at their maximum. I like this photo for in-holder.

H10C 1796 LIKERTY Draped Bust Small Eagle

This is a Gen4.5 holder with the 3 prongs. Note the prongs on this small coin and how on some of them, one can semi see through the prongs.

This photo is representative of the coin when the viewing light is creating some glare on the plastic but not at the coin edge. I think a very good photo. The colors on the reverse of blue, yellow, yellow-green and rust red are on the coin. When the viewing light is in more of a glare position the darker areas on the obverse field are deep blue color and liberty has some golden color. Similarly the reverse fields become more golden but the other colors remain. Again perhaps a normal TV would represent this more but I don't really know since I don't have a normal TV.

Note: Without the color toning consideration, the in-holder TV do represent the difference in the two half dimes. The 1795 is more a steel grey look while the 1796 is that toned tan appearance.

I like the surfaces on this coin for a 1796.

H10C 1800 LIBEKTY Draped Bust Large Eagle

This is a Gen5.0 holder with the 3 prongs and the new clear plastic (the other holders have the purple tint under some lighting). Again note the prongs on this small coin and can semi see through some of them.

This time I will start with I was pleased with all the color that was captured in this in-holder TV. Those yellows are on the coin, it is not a photo mishap. The photo represents the colors on the coin when the viewing light is glaring on the plastic holder but not over the coin. Some of the colors have a semi-fluorescent look to them. The obverse high points with wear however do not have that much tan chalky look as they are slightly lighter or similar to what the reverse photos show. I can however position the coin to get those high points to where they mostly look like the photo. When the light is moved into a more glare position there is even more of the color in the hair and those high points become a gold'ish tan. Again perhaps a normal TV would capture this. That is a small carbon spot on the reverse next to the T.

Like this coin but need that 3X to see it all. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

1795 is a beauty.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them all! Nice pick ups/

Easton Collection
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. Well matched

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Thanks for sharing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said:
    Great set. Well matched

Thanks. It was easier to find the half dimes with color than the other denominations (still have a few to go). However, being a previous Morgan collector I have not studied them and it might have just been a coincidence or lucky timing on the half dimes. The other denominations have had to switch things up some, especially on the color, and there are a few tough ones in there. Will see how much longer to finally get there. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file