Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The First Chain Cent I Ever Saw

MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2023 5:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Was at Knott's Berry Farm, Orange County California, 1953. Low grade, I'm sure.

Comments

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall... was that remark sarcastic?

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

The first one I seen was in 1978 and a small coin shop in Philadelphia.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid, I remember seeing my first High Relief Saint at a major coin show. I also remember seeing a coin dealer counting out a big pile of $1000 bills during a major coin transaction with another coin dealer. At the time, thousand dollar bills didn't carry any collector premium.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember the first time I ever saw one but it was likely when I was a kid and that particular cabinet would have been off limits to a little kid like me... and parents weren't THAT accommodating of my hobby.

The first one I ever held to consider buying was early 2000's. It was raw, had barely a wisp of Ms. Liberty's profile and only 3 or 4 identifiable links in the chain so you could tell what it was. But... someone had tried drilling a hole in the middle of th reverse and there were numerous cuts... and it was still $1k.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing one as a little kid, early 80s, the dealer had it in one of those capitol plastic holders.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one for the first time at age 29 and immediately bought it. ;)

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one I saw was in the red book.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first Chain Cent I saw was at the Gimbels Department Store coin counter in Philadelphia. They had graded it AG. It was in some ways better and some ways worse. The date was visible had had some help with some tooling. The head was outlined, and the LIBERTY was visible.

The Chain on the reverse was complete, and you make out enough of the reverse to see that it was the AMERI. variety. The price was $270. I sold it several years later at an EAC show. It was not big enough to be called a convention then. I made a decent amount of money, but word spread around the floor, and I was told I had sold it for too little.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember the first one, but I've held the chain cents in the Smithsonian collection, so I'll guess the first one I saw wasn't the best I've ever seen

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a virgin.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 11:53AM

I dont remember the first chain cent I saw. But I do remember my first large cent. It was an 1818 N-10 from the Randal Hoard (2020 at a coin shop). I had no idea that "pennies" were so big... that a coin so old could look THAT nice (64RB)... or that a "penny" could be expensive. I remember thinking that someone would have to be crazy to buy something like that.

It was beautiful, and it haunted me for months until I bought it... >:)

... a chain cent is a bit of a different animal. I have seen several, but never a very nice one in person.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve held a couple while ANA and Long Beach lot viewing. Lots of other cool stuff too. It’s a great way to get up close & personal with some really awesome coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file