Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - 1877-S (Micro) Seated Half Dollar (new piece) - GRADE REVEALED

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2023 8:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

You'll see some reeding marks on the obverse and doubling features on the reverse devices:

Guess the grade!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely newp, congrats!

I wanted to guess 62+ but I checked the pops and the grade doesn't exist. So 63.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin- I don't know how tough the so-called micro s is or whether PCGS recognizes the variety. I don't think 63 is unreasonable. I would be disappointed with a 58 unless the image is deceptive in terms of establishing an accurate grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

58, maybe 61 depending on the company.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 58

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

55+

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I follow @Catbert Seated Half set so I already know the grade so I came here just to say sweet coin and congrats.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang that's nice!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely example!! @Catbert

At first I thought 58 (and deserving of a +), but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, and I think she might be choice, so, let's say either 62 or 63.

How's that for decisive?! :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 and nice!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 here as well
    Nice clean coin

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63? Love the subtle colors esp on the rev.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the luster is much better than the pics.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

I don't know how to grade these but the luster looks absent in the original pics.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pleased to read that our host liked the coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@gumby1234 said:

I don't know how to grade these but the luster looks absent in the original pics.

Luster on nicely toned coins like this can be very tough to image...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how most everyone guessed AU and it's 64CAC. This is a hard grading room. Is CACG hiring graders?

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Coinscratch said:

@gumby1234 said:

Luster on nicely toned coins like this can be very tough to image...............

Ahh, so it is there.
    The slab shot looks better the shadowing is present.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... tough to grade these higher end pieces from just one photograph that doesn't show luster. I was in the 58 camp too!! Nice piece!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 4:40AM

Beautiful coin!, @Catbert

I thought it was AU58, so it had to be MS63 or MS64.

I keep doing this over and over again with my circulated classic commemoratives, trying to get AU58s and they keep coming back MS63 or MS 64 from the graders. I have only a vague understanding what the upper boundary is for AU58 having never collected at that grade level.

I was bummed this Gettysburg closed for such a high price for an AU58. Well, that's because it was MS64.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file