Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Inherited 1909-s VDB & 1914-D Lincolns

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2023 3:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A friend called me today saying he had inherited some coins and asked if I would take a look at them. The bulk of the inheritance was blue Whitman folders with Lincolns, Jeffersons, and Indian Head nickels. There was also a Dansco Lincoln set that is probably 95% complete. The set included this 1909-S VDB and this 1914-D. I would appreciate any comments regarding the authenticity and condition of these two.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.
    I'm looking forward to others weighing in.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the center bar of the B slanted up?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a conservative stab and say MS-64 for the 1909 and MS-62 for the 1914. Stunning quality on both coins.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

Yes yes yes as others have said here GET THEM CERTIFIED. And very nice coins!

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Good work on the pictures - and the coins look terrific!

My first thoughts are that the 1909s vdb is a nice original mint state coin,

And the 1914-d seems from the pictures to be an original AU coin, if not uncirculated. And the tiny amount of detritus it may have acquired over 100+ years looks quite natural and not a worry.

Quality stuff, thanks for sharing!

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

They both look correct to me. Nothing jumps out as fake. Congratulations to your friend. And quite nice looking coins too!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

not sure about the 1909 S vdb
    I can't see the dot between he d and b.
    looks like the dot is closer to the d not centered.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    not sure about the 1909 S vdb
    I can't see the dot between he d and b.
    looks like the dot is closer to the d not centered.

Agree. Need a better picture of the reverse.

• Options

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jackpot for your friend IMO

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice meaty coins.... nice little inheritance.
    bob :)
    vegas, baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading makes cents

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

second photo looks better and I am OK with the period!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Please show some more of the early lincolns. Are they consistent in appearance with the 1909 and 1914?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some sweet wheats!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the 22 no D look like?

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the rest of the early dates look like these, you may want to have more graded. Very nice coins, and a rarity to see in an inherited collection.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score for your friend, both look legit to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks good

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice inheritance.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SVDB looks off to me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

Can you be more specific? What exactly seems off?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm not an expert on these, but the 09-s looks pretty nice. very sharp strike! the 14-d has some verdigris i think. but either way i would be submitting both of those for grading. they look good.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete

Nice to do for a friend

Martin

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like both would grade real nice, congrats

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you submit them for slabbing, add a note to the submission form "PLEASE! NO FINGERPRINTS! Thank you."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@AlanSki said:
    What’s the 22 no D look like?

There is no 22 no D and the rest of the early Lincolns are in a variety of conditions. Mid '30s on up are AU and BU. It's an interesting set as it seems there wasn't any particular plan for acquiring a matched set.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell your friend to have them certified and be patient.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Nice meaty coins.... nice little inheritance.
    bob :)
    vegas, baby!

The 14-D is really nice.

There aren't a lot out there with a nice strike like that. Most are a little mushy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@mr1931S said:

Can you be more specific? What exactly seems off?

I see the notch in the upper serif of the 's.' I do think it's real. Don't like the soft strike though so that puts me off from being a fan of it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    When you submit them for slabbing, add a note to the submission form "PLEASE! NO FINGERPRINTS! Thank you."

Is this common? I've seen a few coins in slabs with really annoying finger prints. But have not seen any recently.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BECOKA said:

@PerryHall said:

Is this common? I've seen a few coins in slabs with really annoying finger prints. But have not seen any recently.

There was a recent lengthy thread where someone got a coin back from PCGS and there was a fingerprint on it that wasn't on the coin when it was submitted for grading. Others chimed in that they had similar bad experiences with their coins being fingerprinted. My comment was mostly made in humor

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both coins are winners, svdb with a little acetone cleanup should 4+ min, the 14-d 58+

Dont try to do yourself, have somebody who knows what there doing refresh em

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins; would be expressing the heck out of them to PCGS. Or if looking to sell, have GC get them graded at a discount at PCGS then cac them and sell them.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

The S-VDB looks MS. I'm guessing the 14-D is AU-55

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a great inheritance for your friend! Very nice...

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know enough about what I'm looking at so I'll say, both these coins should be bought graded.
    So there you go, send them in for the best return on investment.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins like these, that are seeing the light of day for the first time, make me wonder just how many raw rarities and gem pieces are out there waiting to be discovered.

I've had first hand experience with a spectacular coin that came to light when I was helping a work acquaintance sort through her deceased husband's collection. Mostly it was an accumulation of random junk silver, rolls of state quarters, worn-out silver certificates, base metal world coins and other forgettable pieces.

As we were finishing up she remembered that she had one more coin put away for safekeeping, which turned out to be a superb gem Carson City Morgan dollar. I was floored by what appeared to be a potential MS67 with original skin, though I can't remember the date. I gave her a crash course on how to handle it, no cleaning, no dipping, etc. I recommended immediate certification but she wanted to keep the coin as is, in memory of her husband. I lost touch with her when I left my job and I wonder where that coin is now, after all these years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file