Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone noticing quality issues?

I'm a big fan of PCGS' grading standard and their consistency throughout the years, but I've had 3, what I'd consider big issues, over the past month.

1. Two proof coins have been delivered back to me with fingerprints on the obverse of the coin.

2. True Views of my most recently graded batch are inaccurate to the in-hand look of the coin because brightness is to high.

3. Coins showed delivered but somehow were showing as a pickup, I had to call in and they were able to provide a tracking number.

Not trying to complain. More interested if this is across the board issues right now or if I'm the exception?

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinguy96 said:
    Anyone noticing quality issues?

All the time!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2023 2:42PM

Those fingerprints are not new to my eye. Do you have pictures before you sent them in? Those look like toned over prints.

Wouldn't "delivered " vs "pickup" be a delivery service problem not a PCGS problem?

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

I did not at first but since around March it seems to be a real problem, I know they hired a lot of new people, however with their standards and prices, they need to tighten the ship

• Options
    coinguy96coinguy96 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Those fingerprints are not new to my eye. Do you have pictures before you sent them in? Those look like toned over prints.

Wouldn't "delivered " vs "pickup" be a delivery service problem not a PCGS problem?

Didn't photograph these coins before sending them off. I can assure you the coins were not shipped off to PCGS this way, but I do understand at that point it's my word vs theirs. With that said, it doesn't take long for a fingerprint to cause damage to the surface of the coin because of the oils... And you never know from what point the grader touched the coin to when the coin was finally shipped. Could've been 1-2 weeks. That's more than enough time.

As for the delivery. It was showing on PCGS website that the coins were delivered without uploading a tracking number. When I clicked on the order it showed the status was "Available for pickup" when i never selected that as an option. After calling into PCGS they confirmed the coins were shipped and emailed me the tracking number. So something was glitching out on their website.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I've seen prints that look like that develop on Proofs from that era within three days.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Join the club. My observations also. Way too many missed varieties that they have to correct later at meet the expert table at shows. My confidence is declining.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t the images go from photographer and then to image post processing? I could see how images can vary based on who processes the image, and which image is ultimately chosen.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I've seen prints that look like that develop on Proofs from that era within three days.

I haven't. Not "thick" like that. You can get them to print but the print is flat. I'm looking at the quarter. The toning seems thick and that looks like spray closer to the head.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't the graders wear gloves when handling coins?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Sounds a bit like complaining to me. ;)

@coinbuf said:

Very intelligent add to this thread, glad you could stretch to the occasion...........

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2023 8:15PM

@habaraca said:

@coinbuf said:

@coinbuf said:

Very intelligent add to this thread, glad you could stretch to the occasion...........

My pleasure, it seems to have helped you to rise to the occasion as well. :) I only wish my contribution had contributed as much intellectually as your content did. :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that a lot of the fingerprints on your coins aren't coming from the graders who properly hold the coins by their edges out of habit. It's more likely the fingerprints are coming from the slabbing area where the coins are assembled into the slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm guessing that a lot of the fingerprints on your coins aren't coming from the graders who properly hold the coins by their edges out of habit. It's more likely the fingerprints are coming from the slabbing area where the coins are assembled into the slabs.

I wage that you are absolutely correct

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact customer service. Explain the issue In a very calm manner. Then wait. Then wait. Then wait some more. If by then you don't hear from them you'll have your answer.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/faq

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Could be the True View department as well.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

They don't and honestly I'm glad they don't. Much higher risk of the coin slipping out of your fingers and being banged up on a table, rather have a fingerprint at that point.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I haven't. Not "thick" like that. You can get them to print but the print is flat. I'm looking at the quarter. The toning seems thick and that looks like spray closer to the head.

“I haven’t seen it so it can’t happen” ?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Exactly my thought, and fear when sending in red copper!

• Options
    edited December 9, 2023 2:43PM

@Project Numismatics said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

I've also never seen a cent turn to gold, so it probably could happen.

It takes time for toning to gain thickness. Now, of course, it could be an optical illusion and the print is "thin". But it seemed worth asking the question.

I apologize for my attempt to discuss this.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

It takes time for toning to gain thickness. Now, of course, it could be an optical illusion and the print is "thin". But it seemed worth asking the question.

No, you just dismissed @FlyingAl personal experience.

Sorry, the converse logic doesn’t work either. Not having seen something (a cent turning to gold) does not mean that it either could or could not happen.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with others who mentioned that if in fact the coins were fingerprinted while at PCGS it likely did not happen by the graders but far more likely by those who check in the coins and remove them from the flips or by someone in the sealing room. I remember many years back this issue was also brought up here on the forums and David Hall (Homerunhall) said he would look into it.

I know I would be absolutely furious if I sent in PL / DMPL dollars to any service and any were returned with fingerprints in the fields.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

Sorry, the converse logic doesn’t work either. Not having seen something (a cent turning to gold) does not mean that it either could or could not happen.

No. I didn't. I offered my experience. If I dismissed FlyingAl, then he also dismissed me. Or we both just offered our opinions. No more, no less. You're the one that seems to have a problem.

As for the converse logic, that was my point. I said I had never seen it. YOU interpreted that to mean that I was saying that it could not have happened. I never said that. You inferred it.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

No. I didn't. I offered my experience. If I dismissed FlyingAl, then he also dismissed me. Or we both just offered our opinions. No more, no less. You're the one that seems to have a problem.

As for the converse logic, that was my point. I said I had never seen it. YOU interpreted that to mean that I was saying that it could not have happened. I never said that. You inferred it.

I don’t think he dismissed me. Just hasn’t had the same experiences.

Now does he believe me? Maybe not. Doesn’t really matter to me. We’ll never know how those prints got there.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve purchased a coin that had no fingerprints and a few months later a fingerprint appeared. And it was in a PCGS slab, so a latent fingerprint can appear with time. Those fingerprints look like they were on there for a while and could have appeared due to temperature or just age. It could have also been touched with an oily hand and just appeared the next day. I really can’t say either way.

Ever since a fingerprint appeared on that coin I started wearing gloves and putting majority of the raw coins in acetone when I get them.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

Now does he believe me? Maybe not. Doesn’t really matter to me. We’ll never know how those prints got there.

Line ‘em up against the wall and fingerprint the lot of them. 🤬

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I didn't say that.

It really depends on how scaly they are as to whether I "believe" they are fresh or not. It really has nothing to do with my believing or disbelieving anyone. You can only accelerate the process so much. The nickel looks fresh to me. The quarter doesn't. But, as I indicated earlier, that could simply be the photo But, as you say, we'll never know.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lack of glove use during the many stages of coin handling cuts down on that expense as well. Handling that many coins barehanded per day must transfer a lot of hand contaminates from coin to coin,albeit on the edge. How often do graders and all other handlers up and down the line cleanse their hands?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file