Home Sports Talk
Options

Statement from Michael Alford Vice President and Athletics Director, Florida State University

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Statement from Michael Alford, Vice President and Athletics Director, Florida State University

"The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole."

"The argument of whether a team is the 'most deserving OR best' is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The 2023 Florida State Seminoles are the epitome of a total TEAM. To eliminate them from a chance to compete for a national championship is an unwarranted injustice that shows complete disregard and disrespect for their performance and accomplishments. It is unforgiveable."

"The fact that this team has continued to close out victories in dominant fashion facing our current quarterback situation should have ENHANCED our case to get a playoff berth EARNED on the field. Instead, the committee decided to elevate themselves and 'make history' today by departing from what makes this sport great by excluding an undefeated Power 5 conference champion for the first time since the advent of the BCS/CFP era that began 25 years ago. This ridiculous decision is a departure from the competitive expectations that have stood the test of time in college football."

"Wins matter. Losses matter. Those that compete in the arena know this. Those on the committee who also competed in the sport and should have known this have forgotten it. Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric - winning on the field - to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more."

"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff. And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

"Our players, coaches, and fans - as well as all those who love this sport - deserve better. The committee failed college football today."

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't this happen in the 70's or something? A team wasn't chosen because their QB was hurt and they felt another team would have a better chance?

I feel bad for FSU, undefeated season and they deserve a shot

• Options

No doubt. The ACC went 6-4 against the SEC this year. I guess the committee ignored that stat.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Didn't this happen in the 70's or something? A team wasn't chosen because their QB was hurt and they felt another team would have a better chance?

Michigan. After a 10-10 against Ohio, the B1G voted for Ohio as their Rose Bowl rep because Michigan's QB was hurt.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Michigan. After a 10-10 against Ohio, the B1G voted for Ohio as their Rose Bowl rep because Michigan's QB was hurt.

Ohio State had Archie Griffin lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

True. But the vote literally went the way it did because Michigan's QB was hurt. The schools themselves said so.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley
    He left out the part about having a Native American mascot as a factor in not being selected. He would get more traction.
    In all seriousness I think they were robbed of an opportunity the team had earned on the field.

So do I think they would win it? no. But they earned the spot they beat everyone they played. Texas and Alabama have already lost a game this year.

And by the way I have never rooted for Florida st. That I can remember. A west coast guy here. And I do not think the huskies will win it either but I will root for them.

Martin

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

True. But the vote literally went the way it did because Michigan's QB was hurt. The schools themselves said so.

Yes but I watched the documentary on the BIG TEN network. Some Big ten members voted that way because they hated Michigan, and wanted to get even. Turned out ok considering Buckeyes destroyed USC in the Rose bowl.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 9:18PM

@Martin said:
    @coolstanley
    He left out the part about having a Native American mascot as a factor in not being selected. He would get more traction.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is true. I'm sure some of the committee members are on the left. Politics are always involved whether they admit it or not.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2023 9:16PM

FSUs mascot didnt play any role in the decision. The tribe has a working relationship with FSU and supports it

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 you are correct the mascot didn’t have anything to do with it. It is all about ratings and the dollar.
    FSU did what it needed to do run. The table. Texas and Alabama did not. The NCAA used the injured QB as an excuse to put a more rating friendly team in. FSU was hosed. And I don’t really care for FSU

I guess I’m just getting tired of the NCAA in general.

Martin

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 11:28PM

@Martin said:
    @Basebal21 you are correct the mascot didn’t have anything to do with it. It is all about ratings and the dollar.
    FSU did what it needed to do run. The table. Texas and Alabama did not. The NCAA used the injured QB as an excuse to put a more rating friendly team in. FSU was hosed. And I don’t really care for FSU

Martin

FSU did what they could do, but their schedule was weak. It was sad Travis got hurt and thats what put it over the edge but they were going to get shut out regardless. Their best wins were LSU and Louisville. Bamas best wins were Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, and Tennessee. The ACC just wasnt very good this year being a two team conference that also had UNC that lived and died on Maye carrying the team.

Bama and Texas both played significantly harder schedules

If it was all about the ratings Washington who brings nothing to the table for that would be left out and an underserving team like OSU would be in.

FSU had two games to prove they could be competitive in the playoffs without Travis and they proved that they could not with how they played. They still got left at 5 giving respect to their season when realistically Georgia should be higher than them but it doesnt really matter for 5 or 6 now

Everyone is tired of the NCAA in general

• Options

Florida Senator Rick Scott demands texts and emails of College Football Playoff committee after FSU snub.

Florida Sen. Rick Scott (R) is demanding that members of the College Football Playoff committee turn over text, emails and notes related to its decision to exclude Florida State University’s (FSU) undefeated football team from the college playoffs.

Scott in a letter to Boo Corrigan, the chairman of the selection committee, demanded “total transparency from the committee regarding how this decision was reached and what factors may have been at play in reaching this outcome.
    He argued that it was the first time in its 10-year history that the selection committee “made the shocking decision” to exclude an undefeated, Power Five conference champion from the playoffs, emphasizing the decision was made “behind closed doors.”

“The Committee’s decision to remove FSU from playoff contention is also difficult to understand given the Committee’s actions in prior years when ranking other undefeated, Power Five conference champions among the top four teams in the nation,” he wrote.

Scott is calling for any notes, recordings or reports about the committee deliberations to select the University of Alabama’s Crimson Tide, which lost to Texas earlier in the year, over the Florida State Seminoles, who compiled a perfect 13-0 record during the season, to the playoffs.
    He wants all emails, text messages and other written communications exchanged between members of the selection committee about its college playoff selections, including communications exchanged with College Football Playoff company officers and board members.

And Scott wants all emails, texts and communications exchanged between the selection committee and individuals not affiliated with the College Football Playoff selection committee, company or board.

He also wants the committee to turn over all statistical data and game video of FSU’s season reviewed by the selection panel.
    Sports analysts had speculated that Florida State would likely get passed over for a spot in the playoffs after its team lost its starting quarterback, Jordan Travis, for the season to a leg injury.

Scott acknowledged the committee considered the loss of Travis, but questioned why that wasn’t reflected in FSU’s ranking as it headed into the last week of the regular season.

The senator lamented the decision likely cost Florida State and the Atlantic Coast Conference an estimated $2 million in revenue distribution from the college football playoffs.
    The senator made his letter public after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) criticized the College Football Playoff committee in a post on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never understood why they didnt open up the college football playoffs up to 14 or 16 teams years ago. You will always have teams on the outside looking in, but with that many in the tournament, most years there wouldnt be a clear contender left out.

If they had 14-16 teams in, college football would OWN December and most of January. you would have tons of MEANINGFUL games instead of 3 meaningful ones and a bucketful of worthless bowl games that the big names wont play in anyways.

I never understood it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 7:12AM

@Martin said:

Martin

There's $1,000,000 in a box on a table.
    It's yours if you can pick the winner of this game played last night.

Bama vs FSU.....who you pickin'

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

FSU getting squeezed is a problem, to be sure, but the bigger problem has been the NCAA attempting to jam a bunch of good teams into four spots. of freaking course something like this was bound to happen. expand and that all disappears because no one will give a rip if a team bellyaches that they should have been #12. all of that kvetching will fall on deaf ears. but with only 4 openings available, any gripe could be a legitimate one and in this case it is because a team just won every game on its schedule and is still on the outside looking in. as a result, a tough (and completely avoidable) decision had to be made.

• Options

@galaxy27 this, 100% ^^^^^^^^

• Options

Out of all of the things the NCAA has done wrong, a 4 team playoff is not their fault. The ACC. B!G, and Pac 2 worked against playoff expansion which delayed the implementation of it

• Options

The $$$ boys didn't want another one of these games, remember last year.

• Options

State of Virginia is furious, Liberty is 13-0 and got left out, they should have gotten in over Texas, they DESERVED it.
    They beat New Mexico State that beat Auburn.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 8:34AM

@Basebal21 said:

Out of all of the things the NCAA has done wrong, a 4 team playoff is not their fault. The ACC. B!G, and Pac 2 worked against playoff expansion which delayed the implementation of it

i don't follow college football as intently as you do, so i'll take your word for it. but if that is indeed the case, then why is everyone associated with Florida St and the ACC screaming from the mountaintop right now? i've read direct quotes from the Florida St. AD, the ACC commish, et al

if they have no one to blame but themselves, then why exactly do they feel like they have a right to yap? (outside of the obvious, undefeated reason.)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

i don't follow college football as intently as you do, so i'll take your word for it. but if that is indeed the case, then why is everyone associated with Florida St and the ACC screaming from the mountaintop right now? i've read direct quotes from the Florida St. AD, the ACC commish, et al

if they have no one to blame but themselves, then why exactly do they feel like they have a right to yap?

The conference commissioners fought against it and voted against it. The belief was expansion would allow more SEC teams in and lower their conferences chances of being able to win it all. It was a dumb stance to take and one of the commissioners (the B!G) was told to find a new job and took over the Bears, but they decided to take it and voted to block the expansion for this year. The expansion next year was basically forced on them

The ACC commish can scream all he wants, he voted for this and theres a reason why FSU and Clemson have been trying their hardest to find a way out of the conference

• Options

Preach brother.... B)

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all UGA but FSU got hosed.

• Options

A big part of the reason I am not that interested in College Football is that they do not have a central structure and there are just way way way too many schools involved. the NCAA is there, but they really have not too much say over how teams conduct business. teams will play some conference games, but other than that, are allowed to create their own schedules of teams they think they will beat. they can basically duck tough teams from other divisions.

there are also just way way too many schools eligible. way over 100. like 125 or so. I know i do not have the time to keep up with all of those teams. i can barely keep up with the 32 teams in the NFL.

it would be far more interesting to me if there was a central governing body that pared down the teams eligible for the National championship to 30 or even 40 teams regardless of conferences. Those teams would play only each other. it would be MUCH easier to have more good teams playing against good teams to more accurately rate the strength of schedule. I would also like this currently nonexistent governing body to make the schedules for this 30-40 team division. no more having d2 teams getting paid to come in and take a beating. teams would only be playing a top team every week.

something like this would be much more interesting to me as an outsider.

why have teams like UTEP, NM state and Kent state muddying the waters. No one but students at those schools care to watch them play Alabama or Ohio state. With a much smaller (and better) single conference, there would be better and meaningful games every single time slot on saturday.

I dont know, maybe i am missing something?

• Options

My book shows 133 schools.
    We cut 93 school football programs and form a semi-pro leauge....poor students.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    My book shows 133 schools.
    We cut 93 school football programs and form a semi-pro leauge....poor students.

at LEAST 93 football programs. they can still play, just not with the big boys. form another lesser conference where all the perennial non-contenders can play. It would be just about as popular as division 2 is nationally.

imagine how boring MLB or the NFL would be if they had 130 teams? the games would be horribly uneven with blowouts every day. just like college football.

why dilute your own product?

• Options

If that happens I guess I'll quit watching, I dislike all pro sports especially the NFL....it's boring to me.

• Options

5 Conferences with 8 teams each to the Super Conference equals 40 teams.

SEC, only using this years rankings plus the addition of Texas and Oklahoma next year.

SEC IN: Texas, Bama, Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn, Oklahoma

SEC OUT: Florida, Texas AM, Auburn, Arkansas, S. Carolina, Kty, Vandy, Miss St.

I can tell ya, that dog won't hunt. Florida, A&M and Auburn aren't going away and it wouldn't be fair for the SEC to get 11 teams in.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    5 Conferences with 8 teams each to the Super Conference equals 40 teams.

SEC, only using this years rankings plus the addition of Texas and Oklahoma next year.

SEC IN: Texas, Bama, Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn, Oklahoma

SEC OUT: Florida, Texas AM, Auburn, Arkansas, S. Carolina, Kty, Vandy, Miss St.

I can tell ya, that dog won't hunt. Florida, A&M and Auburn aren't going away and it wouldn't be fair for the SEC to get 11 teams in.

no, i think you misunderstood. I am saying blow up the conferences. Dont need them for anything. take the 30-40 traditionally best performing schools and have them make up the new "super conference" or whatever you want to call it. have those teams only play for the championship. 133 teams is crazy. completely muddies the waters.

it would be like all of MLB, AAA, AA and A all playing towards getting to the world series. Nobody wants to see a AA team play the Yankees, except the fans/relatives of the AA team.

It would be a better product if there were 20% of the current teams playing for the title. There would be very meaningful games for nearly every team every saturday.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2023 12:31PM

Clemson is one of the 40 teams in the SUPER CONFERENCE.
    They have a bad year and Dabo gets fired. The next year they go 5-7.
    Do they get kicked out and #41 team move up?

Keep the NFL, leave us be.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

College Football = "All about the Benjamins."

Or, according to Rod Tidwell in Jerry McGuire, ................... "All about the Quan."

Same thing goes for all sports and other areas of human endeavor.

The idea of a 40 team "Super Conference" whose members will compete for the National Title, to the exclusion of all other teams that do not make it into the Super Conference, is offensive.

If such a conference was established, what happens in the future when one or more teams in the conference crash, burn and become horrible? Do such teams get to remain in the conference (in which case is it really "Super")?

Further, what if a team or teams not in the conference become really, really good (even better than the teams in the Super Conference)? Does such team or teams remain barred from entry into the Super conference simply because it/they were not chosen to be in the Super Conference when it was formed (again, in which case is it really "Super")?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    College Football = "All about the Benjamins."

Or, according to Rod Tidwell in Jerry McGuire, ................... "All about the Quan."

Same thing goes for all sports and other areas of human endeavor.

The idea of a 40 team "Super Conference" whose members will compete for the National Title, to the exclusion of all other teams that do not make it into the Super Conference, is offensive.

If such a conference was established, what happens in the future when one or more teams in the conference crash, burn and become horrible? Do such teams get to remain in the conference (in which case is it really "Super")?

Further, what if a team or teams not in the conference become really, really good (even better than the teams in the Super Conference)? Does such team or teams remain barred from entry into the Super conference simply because it/they were not chosen to be in the Super Conference when it was formed (again, in which case is it really "Super")?

there are already many many colleges "left out" division 2 and division 3 are already "left out" why were they left out? they werent good enough to play with the top schools.

if it were ever to happen, it wouldnt take long for those 30-40 teams to become real powerhouses. they would get all the top recruits. The teams "left out" would get the leftovers. it would overall make for a much better product and a real and more fair way to evaluate teams. scheduling would be fair finally and the NCAA would OWN december.

i mean, come on, 133 teams?????? that is insane. anyone can see that at least 2/3 of those are not in the same talent pool as the top teams. it really is like MLB, AAA, AA and A all becoming one league and playing for the world series. who wants to see A ball teams get run by MLB teams? its not competitive. but it is what you have currently in college football

just because it has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it is the best way

• Options

The NFL is the same as college. The NFL has conferences which contain divisions. This isnt MLB where every team can play every team. Part of the Patriots dynasty was that they were in a division that had bad teams in it for years. Thats not any different than Iowa winning the B!G west

If we just called the SEC the South Eastern Division instead of the South Eastern Conference or the ACC the Atlantic Coast Division its the same as the NFL. Conferences in college are no different than divisions in the NFL. Conferences arent going anywhere either. They have billions of dollars in tv deals and their own tv networks as well. What will possibly happen in the next decade or so is that the big ones will break off and just have their own league where they dont have to worry about the NCAAs nonsense. The NCAA is already trying to counter this by proposing schools can pay players directly.

The idea of some 40 team super league really doesnt make much sense Theres 32-35 teams that would for sure be in who recruit highly even in down years like a Florida. Theres then another 15-20 that could fill those last 5 spots on any given year. Are we just doing this for football? A school like Vandy would be left out of football, but they are an elite baseball program and coversely Penn State Michigan etc would be in for football but are bad baseball programs. Yes baseball doesnt make the most money but it makes money in the SEC and with a number of ACC and Big 12 teams

You would also be killing the programs left out as well. The smaller programs use the money from playing the big programs to fund their teams.

Theres no reason to completely redo the entire system and try and make it more NFLish. The whole beauty of college sports are the rivalries, the history of the conferences. The NCAA needs less control over everything with the decision making they has consistently shown over the years, not more

• Options

Quan means love, respect and community according to Rod Tidwell, it has nothing to do with money.

The NCAA and the way this "tournament" is run is all about money. Let's face it, the advertising backlash and fan boycott due to no SEC team in the final four would have been unprecedented. Further, this incarnation of the playoff was flawed from the first year in 2014 when the controversy about Ohio State being included got things rolling.

To my way of thinking the whole problem is the Committee of 12 Concept which just doesn't work. Look at the AP Poll, they picked stuff like this since the 1960's and had FSU, Texas, Washington and Michigan. The CBS Poll had the same teams, the Coaches Poll had the same teams, the ESPN Power Rankings had the same teams, Sports Illustrated predicted the AP Poll would have the same teams.

The only poll that differed, the outlier as it were, is the CFP Poll.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 3:25AM

@DrBuster said:
    FSU got hosed.

As says 95% of the country not Bama homers. If Bama went 13-0 and got left out, their fans would be crying nonstop.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    The NFL is the same as college. The NFL has conferences which contain divisions. This isnt MLB where every team can play every team. Part of the Patriots dynasty was that they were in a division that had bad teams in it for years. Thats not any different than Iowa winning the B!G west

If we just called the SEC the South Eastern Division instead of the South Eastern Conference or the ACC the Atlantic Coast Division its the same as the NFL. Conferences in college are no different than divisions in the NFL. Conferences arent going anywhere either. They have billions of dollars in tv deals and their own tv networks as well. What will possibly happen in the next decade or so is that the big ones will break off and just have their own league where they dont have to worry about the NCAAs nonsense. The NCAA is already trying to counter this by proposing schools can pay players directly.

The idea of some 40 team super league really doesnt make much sense Theres 32-35 teams that would for sure be in who recruit highly even in down years like a Florida. Theres then another 15-20 that could fill those last 5 spots on any given year. Are we just doing this for football? A school like Vandy would be left out of football, but they are an elite baseball program and coversely Penn State Michigan etc would be in for football but are bad baseball programs. Yes baseball doesnt make the most money but it makes money in the SEC and with a number of ACC and Big 12 teams

You would also be killing the programs left out as well. The smaller programs use the money from playing the big programs to fund their teams.

Theres no reason to completely redo the entire system and try and make it more NFLish. The whole beauty of college sports are the rivalries, the history of the conferences. The NCAA needs less control over everything with the decision making they has consistently shown over the years, not more

The NFL is very different than college. 32 teams compared to 133 teams. that is a GIANT difference. It kills the quality of play, and ensures the scheduling cannot be even remotely close to equal. In fact, Scheduling is done by each team, and often significantly weaker teams are literally paid to come and get blown out by great teams so they can get an easy win. its ridiculous. how is that different than having an NBA team pay a D-league team to come to town for a 2 game series to get blown out and help out their win total?

Yes, I understand there are already conferences. my point is, the "league" as a whole is so huge and diverse in talent that there is no way to come close to fairly choosing playoff teams or a champion. I understand it is not MLB. my comparison was one of talent deficit. the example of an MLB team competing with a A team in the same "conference" in games that count is an apt one. of what value is watching Georgia play Kent State? none whatsoever. (other than the fact that Kent State got paid lots of money to come to Georgia to get blown out) Do you see how fraudulent that is?

How many games on saturday are the equivalent of a AAA team playing a AA team? or an A team playing a AA team? other than graduates of said colleges, who on a national scale cares? If you had a "super conference" you would get huge television ratings every Saturday.

As for teams left out? I dont care. Do I care that the Tidewater Tides never got to play for the world series? Do I care that the Bakersfield Jam or the Austin Spurs never competed for the NBA championship? nope. The teams left out can form their own little league. or have an NIT equivalent tournament.

and yes, I would have this "super conference" be only for each schools football program. I am not concerned with womens swim teams or mens rowing.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Quan means love, respect and community according to Rod Tidwell, it has nothing to do with money.

The NCAA and the way this "tournament" is run is all about money. Let's face it, the advertising backlash and fan boycott due to no SEC team in the final four would have been unprecedented. Further, this incarnation of the playoff was flawed from the first year in 2014 when the controversy about Ohio State being included got things rolling.

To my way of thinking the whole problem is the Committee of 12 Concept which just doesn't work. Look at the AP Poll, they picked stuff like this since the 1960's and had FSU, Texas, Washington and Michigan. The CBS Poll had the same teams, the Coaches Poll had the same teams, the ESPN Power Rankings had the same teams, Sports Illustrated predicted the AP Poll would have the same teams.

The only poll that differed, the outlier as it were, is the CFP Poll.

I am unfamiliar with this term "quan" or what it has to do with this discussion.

and yes, almost everything goes back to $, not just college football.

A committee or panel that chooses teams for a championship game or playoff tournament instead of letting the teams play for each seed seems fraudulent to me. That is my whole point in drastically cutting the number of teams in the running for the CFB Championship. With 133 teams eligible, and those teams all making their own schedules, it is going to come down to favoritism and politics and not on-the-field play because the "league" is too large and unwieldy.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 7:24AM

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

The NFL is very different than college. 32 teams compared to 133 teams. that is a GIANT difference. It kills the quality of play, and ensures the scheduling cannot be even remotely close to equal. In fact, Scheduling is done by each team, and often significantly weaker teams are literally paid to come and get blown out by great teams so they can get an easy win. its ridiculous. how is that different than having an NBA team pay a D-league team to come to town for a 2 game series to get blown out and help out their win total?

Yes, I understand there are already conferences. my point is, the "league" as a whole is so huge and diverse in talent that there is no way to come close to fairly choosing playoff teams or a champion. I understand it is not MLB. my comparison was one of talent deficit. the example of an MLB team competing with a A team in the same "conference" in games that count is an apt one. of what value is watching Georgia play Kent State? none whatsoever. (other than the fact that Kent State got paid lots of money to come to Georgia to get blown out) Do you see how fraudulent that is?

How many games on saturday are the equivalent of a AAA team playing a AA team? or an A team playing a AA team? other than graduates of said colleges, who on a national scale cares? If you had a "super conference" you would get huge television ratings every Saturday.

As for teams left out? I dont care. Do I care that the Tidewater Tides never got to play for the world series? Do I care that the Bakersfield Jam or the Austin Spurs never competed for the NBA championship? nope. The teams left out can form their own little league. or have an NIT equivalent tournament.

and yes, I would have this "super conference" be only for each schools football program. I am not concerned with womens swim teams or mens rowing.

Its not a giant difference at all. The worst NFL teams are just as bad as the worst college teams. The Bears, Patriots and so on are not competitive.

College teams arent all treated the same. Liberty was 13-0 no one is saying they should be in the playoffs.

Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State. Randy Moss went to Marshall, Josh Allen went to Wyoming, Carson Wentz went to North Dakota State, Walter Peyton went to Jackson State, Terrell Owens went to Chattanooga, Flacco graduated from Delaware etc.

Patrick Malhomes who went to Texas Tech would have also been left behind

No one is saying those teams are top teams or they should be in the playoffs, but NFL players including HOF players do come out of other schools. Getting paid for the games is what keeps those programs afloat

Scheduling is done by conferences not by teams. Out of conference games are done by teams.

Baseball and Basketball are big time sports that your "super conference" would be ignoring while also having 40 football teams that more than half would never play each other

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Its not a giant difference at all. The worst NFL teams are just as bad as the worst college teams. The Bears, Patriots and so on are not competitive.

College teams arent all treated the same. Liberty was 13-0 no one is saying they should be in the playoffs.

Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State. Randy Moss went to Marshall, Josh Allen went to Wyoming, Carson Wentz went to North Dakota State, Walter Peyton went to Jackson State, Terrell Owens went to Chattanooga, Flacco graduated from Delaware etc.

No one is saying those teams are top teams or they should be in the playoffs, but NFL players including HOF players do come out of other schools. Getting paid for the games is what keeps those programs afloat

Scheduling is done by conferences not by teams. Out of conference games are done by teams.

Baseball and Basketball are big time sports that your "super conference" would be ignoring while also having 40 football teams that more than half would never play each other

again, I dont care about any other sport: not baseball, basketball, table tennis. Only college football for this though experiment.

teams should not be involved in their own scheduling. even if it is one game.

As inept as we can all agree the Patriots have been this season, they have only had 3 games decided by more than one score. all of their other games have been within 1 score. you cannot say that about the lower tier CFB teams. NFL teams can get better through the draft. perrenially bad teams get the top picks. eventually they will get better players from the draft. perrenially bad college teams do not have that advantage. top recruits, in general, will never go to those teams and they will always wallow at the bottom of the gigantic league.

Sure, there have been some great players go to small schools. sometimes there are reasons: drugs, grades, attitude etc. sometimes not. those players will still be around, they will just be on teams that are not vying for the title. they will choose to go to better teams, or use the transfer portal to go to better teams once they prove themselves on the field.

if Liberty is 13-0 and no one thinks they should be playing for the championship, then why are they in the 133-team league? see how fraudulent that sounds?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

again, I dont care about any other sport: not baseball, basketball, table tennis. Only college football for this though experiment.

As inept as we can all agree the Patriots have been this season, they have only had 3 games decided by more than one score. all of their other games have been within 1 score. you cannot say that about the lower tier CFB teams. NFL teams can get better through the draft. perrenially bad teams get the top picks. eventually they will get better players from the draft. perrenially bad college teams do not have that advantage. top recruits, in general, will never go to those teams and they will always wallow at the bottom of the gigantic league.

Sure, there have been some great players go to small schools. sometimes there are reasons: drugs, grades, attitude etc. sometimes not. those players will still be around, they will just be on teams that are not vying for the title. they will choose to go to better teams, or use the transfer portal to go to better teams once they prove themselves on the field.

if Liberty is 13-0 and no one thinks they should be playing for the championship, then why are they in the 133-team league? see how fraudulent that sounds?

You cant have the experiment and exclude the two other major sports, thats not how college athletics works. You can do stand alone things like hockey in the norther or lacrosse in the mid Atlantic, but you cannot ignore basketball and you cannot ignore baseball in the bottom right third of the country, LSU averages over 10k people a game for baseball, thats more than two MLB teams do.

College football teams can get immediately better than an NFL team can in a single year. They can recruit and they have the transfer portal. You can get QBs and skill players in the portal, what you generally cant get is lineman.

No those players didnt end up at those schools because of drugs, they ended up there because that was there best option. They would never have a chance is we eliminate things down to 40 teams like you want.

If you dont like college sports thats fine, why worry about? Are you aware that players start at smaller programs to play right away and then transfer into the big programs not that there is the transfer portal? A significant number of players at the top programs started elsewhere other than lineman

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

You cant have the experiment and exclude the two other major sports, thats not how college athletics works. You can do stand alone things like hockey in the norther or lacrosse in the mid Atlantic, but you cannot ignore basketball and you cannot ignore baseball in the bottom right third of the country, LSU averages over 10k people a game for baseball, thats more than two MLB teams do.

College football teams can get immediately better than an NFL team can in a single year. They can recruit and they have the transfer portal. You can get QBs and skill players in the portal, what you generally cant get is lineman.

No those players didnt end up at those schools because of drugs, they ended up there because that was there best option. They would never have a chance is we eliminate things down to 40 teams like you want.

If you dont like college sports thats fine, why worry about? Are you aware that players start at smaller programs to play right away and then transfer into the big programs not that there is the transfer portal? A significant number of players at the top programs started elsewhere other than lineman

Sure I can exclude other sports. this is only for football. the other sports can keep things exactly as they are.

top players are not using the portal to go to lower-tiered schools. the portal is not helping out kent state. It did help Colorado, but that is only because they had a big splashy head coach hiring. generally, it is only helping the top-tier schools.

And yes, Randy Moss ended up at Marshall because of drugs. History lesson time. Moss originally signed a letter of intent at ND. he then ended up in a huge fight at his high school and ended up with a 30 day jail sentence. ND denied his enrollment letter. He then decided to go to Florida State. He then tested positive for marijuana, which was a violation of his parole agreement and FS dismissed him. He ended up at Marshall which was close to his home and he wouldnt lose any more eligibility.

So yes, Randy Moss did end up at Marshall because of drugs.

Sure, some players start at the junk schools and transfer up. I dont think that is an argument to keep a large 133 team league. it is actually one against it. The best schools are simply using the bottom half as the minor league that they, in practice, already are. "minor league" feeder schools should not be muddying up the waters of the real contenders for the title.

the bulk of the other lesser schools would not just go away if they were not in contention for the NCAA title any longer. they would determine some other championship for them to play for. I mean, we still have D-II schools playing college football.

And no, I am not "worried" at all about college football. just a fun thought experiment.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 9:13AM

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Sure I can exclude other sports. this is only for football. the other sports can keep things exactly as they are.

top players are not using the portal to go to lower-tiered schools. the portal is not helping out kent state. It did help Colorado, but that is only because they had a big splashy head coach hiring. generally, it is only helping the top-tier schools.

And yes, Randy Moss ended up at Marshall because of drugs. History lesson time. Moss originally signed a letter of intent at ND. he then ended up in a huge fight at his high school and ended up with a 30 day jail sentence. ND denied his enrollment letter. He then decided to go to Florida State. He then tested positive for marijuana, which was a violation of his parole agreement and FS dismissed him. He ended up at Marshall which was close to his home and he wouldnt lose any more eligibility.

Sure, some players start at the junk schools and transfer up. I dont think that is an argument to keep a large 133 team league. it is actually one against it. The best schools are simply using the bottom half as the minor league that they, in practice, already are. "minor league" feeder schools should not be muddying up the waters of the real contenders for the title.

the bulk of the other lesser schools would not just go away if they were not in contention for the NCAA title any longer. they would determine some other championship for them to play for. I mean, we still have D-II schools playing college football.

And no, I am not "worried" at all about college football. just a fun thought experiment.

You cant separate the other sports like that. Thats just not how it works for billion dollar tv deals. Sure you could exclude Rutgers or Michigan State baseball, but if you tried to exclude LSU baseball or Kentucky basketball the networks would have a major issue.

Youre actually wrong about the fact the the portal works two ways. Stetson Bennet who I am not a fan of left Georgia to go to a Juco and came back.

The portal is without question helping smaller schools get talent they otherwise would not have. The top rusher in the country Cody Schrader transferred from a D2 school to Missouri and had the most yards in the country through 12 games. Daniels who without question should win the Heisman transferred to LSU from ASU.

Keep the history lesson, Moss had multiple other options

Yes the bulk of the other programs would go away and you would lose players. The top programs using smaller programs as a feeder system makes the sport better.

Youre basically just saying have Bama and Georgia as the entire league. Their two rosters are the best and have been for quite some time. Sometimes Texas, LSU and Texas A&M can join the party and other than that why have anyone since their rosters cant measure up

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

You cant separate the other sports like that. Thats just not how it works for billion dollar tv deals. Sure you could exclude Rutgers or Michigan State baseball, but if you tried to exclude LSU baseball or Kentucky basketball the networks would have a major issue.

Youre actually wrong about the fact the the portal works two ways. Stetson Bennet who I am not a fan of left Georgia to go to a Juco and came back.

The portal is without question helping smaller schools get talent they otherwise would not have. The top rusher in the country Cody Schrader transferred from a D2 school to Missouri and had the most yards in the country through 12 games. Daniels who without question should win the Heisman transferred to LSU from ASU.

Yes the bulk of the other programs would go away and you would lose players. The top programs using smaller programs as a feeder system makes the sport better.

Youre basically just saying have Bama and Georgia as the entire league. Their two rosters are the best and have been for quite some time. Sometimes Texas, LSU and Texas A&M can join the party and other than that why have anyone since their rosters cant measure up

from a competitive standpoint, of what value are teams 75-133? they are nothing but feeder schools.

of course a guy from a D2 school transferred up to D1. that is my point. with the transfer portal now in place, it is really just going to naturally turn D2 and the low tier D1 schools into feeder programs. there may be an exception to the rule once in a while, but it is just that. an exception.

you can set up a major TV deal however you want. ND sure does. their FB contract includes a documentary film and ND Hockey. not baseball, basketball, volleyball etc. If networks want deals for other sports, they can negotiate separately

It is interesting that you admit the power teams are just using the lower tiered teams as feeder programs. why wouldnt that continue under the "super conference?" you may lose a few of those programs, but most will stay. they would just become regionalized as they should be. no reason to put those feeder schools on a national broadcast any more than it would be to televise the portland pirates on a national game. DII still exists without national TV deals. they just play each other in smaller regional games. It is just silly to have the #5 team in the country play the #108 team. what is the point?

I mean, what other leagues are including their minor leagues or feeder programs into their regular seasons? It makes for nothing but lopsided, uninteresting games. Does anyone want to see Lafayette vs. Duke? what about Charleston Southern at Clemson? North Alabama at Florida State? VMI at NC State? I could go on and on. those teams have no reason to play against each other. it is fraudulent scheduling. It wouldn't go on in my new "super conference" I would love to hear you defend those type of games in terms of competitive value. The ONLY reasons to play those type of games is to give the lesser team some money and get the better team a guaranteed win or a week off before a big game against a real opponent. its a joke

• Options

@craig44 said: Sure, there have been some great players go to small schools. sometimes there are reasons

There are players who are overlooked in High School just because of where they play, and yet they receive scholarships to some of the lesser regarded D1 schools and pro scouts just don't miss talent. There are also players who are outstanding students and go where their family, typically a father/brother have gone and they play.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

from a competitive standpoint, of what value are teams 75-133? they are nothing but feeder schools.

of course a guy from a D2 school transferred up to D1. that is my point. with the transfer portal now in place, it is really just going to naturally turn D2 and the low tier D1 schools into feeder programs. there may be an exception to the rule once in a while, but it is just that. an exception.

you can set up a major TV deal however you want. ND sure does. their FB contract includes a documentary film and ND Hockey. not baseball, basketball, volleyball etc. If networks want deals for other sports, they can negotiate separately

It is interesting that you admit the power teams are just using the lower tiered teams as feeder programs. why wouldnt that continue under the "super conference?" you may lose a few of those programs, but most will stay. they would just become regionalized as they should be. no reason to put those feeder schools on a national broadcast any more than it would be to televise the portland pirates on a national game. DII still exists without national TV deals. they just play each other in smaller regional games. It is just silly to have the #5 team in the country play the #108 team. what is the point?

I mean, what other leagues are including their minor leagues or feeder programs into their regular seasons? It makes for nothing but lopsided, uninteresting games. Does anyone want to see Lafayette vs. Duke? what about Charleston Southern at Clemson? North Alabama at Florida State? VMI at NC State? I could go on and on. those teams have no reason to play against each other. it is fraudulent scheduling. It wouldn't go on in my new "super conference" I would love to hear you defend those type of games in terms of competitive value. The ONLY reasons to play those type of games is to give the lesser team some money and get the better team a guaranteed win or a week off before a big game against a real opponent. its a joke

Youre actually advocating for the elimination of sports. Youth leagues are feeders to JR high leagues, theyre feeders to HS, HS are feeders to college, college to the pros

You can skip some steps if you are elite, but the argument that schools that allow talent to develop and transfer to bigger programs shouldnt exist is just saying sports shouldnt exist.

ND doesnt have a baseball contract because they cant make money on it. They are also bad at basketball. They really arent very good at football either they just have the name and the history with a tv deal. Their rosters dont compete with top level teams.

North Alabama ended FSUs season when Travis got hurt. No one wanted to see him break his leg.

No one wants to watch the Bears vs Pats or many of the NFL games either.

Many of the teams you named have had big time players move on to big programs in the last two years.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 12:20PM

I am not advocating for the elimination of sports. not at all. You have misunderstood.

if we cut out the top 30-40 teams in D1 football and placed them in a league of their own, it is not the death knell of the rest of the 133 teams. yes, maybe a few would drop football, but the rest would just keep on playing and supplying players to the good teams. just like always. Just like DII teams have for decades. they just wouldnt do it on national TV and muddy the National Championship waters.

I think you fear change.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 1:21PM

Follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road......ain't gonna happen....in my lifetime.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road......ain't gonna happen....in my lifetime.

certainly not, but it would make for a much better product on the field. without a doubt.

• Options

I'll miss the App State over Michigan, Troy over LSU, App State over A&M games.... :'(