Home Sports Talk
Options

Statement from Michael Alford Vice President and Athletics Director, Florida State University

2»

Comments

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lame, Sagarin his FSU way down the pack at 10 so FSU cry all you want but stat wise, you ain't there:

FSU SOS clearly hurt them playing in the weak ACC and then having your QB go down. In fact, da Ducks have the biggest bone to pick followed by Ohio State, they had the stats to be top 4, but get stuck playing Liberty in the Fiesta (ouch). What is funny about this whole thing is how OVER-RATED the SEC is. 'Bama nor Georgia, nor any SEC should be in the CFP this year.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would've been a great playoff this year if all the undefeated and one loss teams were in the mix.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 2:00AM

Any ranking that has Michigans schedule as number 1 just is not legitimate. Texas is about where they should be but that top 3 jeeze

The NFL will also feel very differently about the talent over that chart when the draft rolls around

Oregon doesnt have any bone to pick. They played Washington twice, they lost twice and played an easy schedule. They have absolutely no claim to be deserving to be in the playoffs

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I am not advocating for the elimination of sports. not at all. You have misunderstood.

if we cut out the top 30-40 teams in D1 football and placed them in a league of their own, it is not the death knell of the rest of the 133 teams. yes, maybe a few would drop football, but the rest would just keep on playing and supplying players to the good teams. just like always. Just like DII teams have for decades. they just wouldnt do it on national TV and muddy the National Championship waters.

I think you fear change.

I dont fear change at all. Youre missing that a lot of these colleges are cheap and how college athletics work. Harvard has the biggest endowment in the country and could be a top team in the next 4 years if they wanted to spend some of their 50 billion on sports.

Generally speaking the big name teams that are consistently bad are there because they choose not to spend the money on sports and are content getting paid for games they will generally lose to fund their programs. The tv deals and exposure also get players to come from a recruiting standpoint which then develops them into better players for big programs. There are teams like Southern Miss that do excel in major sports, Gonzaga in basketball and so on the change just wouldnt occur overnight

D2 teams dont really put many players into D1, Juco teams do.

The national championship waters arent muddy because of schools having players transferring, its because the system was flawed to start with. Players cant play until the following season when they transfer and are ineligible to play if they are in the portal. Anyone transferring now cannot play in the playoffs

The 4 team system was to few when it started. There were 5 power conferences at its creation which means that unless someone was so bad they couldnt make a claim someone was getting left out

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Would've been a great playoff this year if all the undefeated and one loss teams were in the mix.

It's a shame that the BIG10, ACC and PAC12 voted to wait until 2024, what are yall afraid of........BOO.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Lame, Sagarin his FSU way down the pack at 10 so FSU cry all you want but stat wise, you ain't there:

FSU SOS clearly hurt them playing in the weak ACC and then having your QB go down. In fact, da Ducks have the biggest bone to pick followed by Ohio State, they had the stats to be top 4, but get stuck playing Liberty in the Fiesta (ouch). What is funny about this whole thing is how OVER-RATED the SEC is. 'Bama nor Georgia, nor any SEC should be in the CFP this year.

Best, SH

Would you give us YOUR predictions on these 2 games (give us the scores).
    Georgia vs FSU
    Bama vs Michigan

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 4:00AM

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

It's a shame that the BIG10, ACC and PAC12 voted to wait until 2024, what are yall afraid of........BOO.

The sec didn't want an expanded playoff either. They wanted to keep their Alabama invitational.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 4:26AM

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

The sec didn't want an expanded playoff either. They wanted to keep their Alabama invitational.

The SEC voted to expand this year. The vote was 8-3 with the B1G, ACC, and PAC 2 voting against it

The vote had to be unanimous

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Got a link to that, I bet you don't.... B)

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 5:08AM

Sagarin Poll..... :p
    Don't put much stock in a poll that has Oregon #2 and Washington #9....Washington beat 'em twice and made 'em like it.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21
    "The national championship waters arent muddy because of schools having players transferring, its because the system was flawed to start with."

Exactly, the system was flawed to start with. That is the most accurate thing you have posted in this thread. The system is VERY flawed. Fraudulent really. That is why there should be a complete overhaul to college football.

Teams should not be scheduling any of their own games. Teams should not be paying or accepting money to play games. That is little more than barnstorming. That garbage, along with a completely unwieldy 133 team division is why there needs to be equations calculating strength of schedule in order for a panel to choose who is in the tournament. its totally crazy, and it leads to the vast majority of games being worthless. it also leads to the vast majority of bowl games being worthless.

I dont believe I said the championship waters are muddy because of the transfer portal, if i did, it was in error. I think the biggest reason it is such a mess is because there are SOOOOO many teams in the division. 133 teams is crazy. ridiculous. unnecessary. Again, it is crazy to include your "minor league" "feeder system" into your regular season. That is what is muddying the waters. it is why the games on the field are not enough, and a panel is needed to figure out who the "best" teams are.

you must admit that having 133 teams in a division is completely unmanageable. Of what value is having the bottom half of those teams taking up space on the top 30 or 40 teams' schedules?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sagarin Poll..... :p
    Don't put much stock in a poll that has Alabama #6....Texas beat 'em and made 'em like it. :D

@Bullsitter, I fixed it for you. Can't anyone wait for a few more weeks to gloat and mock??

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 2:30PM

Really original.... :p

Hey Keets, use your ignore button.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21
    "The national championship waters arent muddy because of schools having players transferring, its because the system was flawed to start with."

Exactly, the system was flawed to start with. That is the most accurate thing you have posted in this thread. The system is VERY flawed. Fraudulent really. That is why there should be a complete overhaul to college football.

Teams should not be scheduling any of their own games. Teams should not be paying or accepting money to play games. That is little more than barnstorming. That garbage, along with a completely unwieldy 133 team division is why there needs to be equations calculating strength of schedule in order for a panel to choose who is in the tournament. its totally crazy, and it leads to the vast majority of games being worthless. it also leads to the vast majority of bowl games being worthless.

I dont believe I said the championship waters are muddy because of the transfer portal, if i did, it was in error. I think the biggest reason it is such a mess is because there are SOOOOO many teams in the division. 133 teams is crazy. ridiculous. unnecessary. Again, it is crazy to include your "minor league" "feeder system" into your regular season. That is what is muddying the waters. it is why the games on the field are not enough, and a panel is needed to figure out who the "best" teams are.

you must admit that having 133 teams in a division is completely unmanageable. Of what value is having the bottom half of those teams taking up space on the top 30 or 40 teams' schedules?

Its not like coaches are getting together and making schedules, administrators are who the teams themselves often dont like. It funds the smaller programs which in turn is better overall.

If you really want to blame someone blame TV networks. Some conferences have expressed a willingness to get rid of out of conference games if they were properly compensated for it in their TV deals and the networks arent willing to pay extra for it. Sometimes schools do it on their own anyways. LSU has USC and UCLA in the first month of next season as two of their out of conference games. Schools will do it if the financial incentive is there.

Bowl games have two major issues with opt outs and the portal. The portal is more of an issue for the smaller games with players leaving for a bigger program and the opt outs are the big issue for the bigger games with guys going to the NFL. The portal this year is looking like it will be pretty loaded with who has declared so far. Sometimes guys declare just to get paid more to stay and pull their name, but there are some big names in it currently.

It is important though as part of the structure to keep most of these other programs alive. Yes the schools should pony up the money and they have it but they dont want to spend it there. The "minor league" system really doesnt muddy the waters. Even the biggest upsets like App State over Michigan or Troy over LSU, those werent championship teams. Michigan lost 4 games that year, LSU lost 3. Boise State over Oklahoma was a bowl game. Theyre fun stories when they happen but its not like theyre having major implications. The majority of the biggest upsets are conference games like Purdue over OSU.

Theres Title 9 implications as well even though there shouldnt be if such a conference was created. Even now you have lawsuits against schools and the NCAA claiming a violation of Title 9 over NIL money which doesnt really make sense. Livvy Dunne is one of the highest earning athletes in all of college sports in terms of NIL and there are others. The schools dont even control NIL anyways.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 Do you have the same complaints about NCAA basketball? I know you’re limiting your thought experiment to football, but why not basketball? More D1 basketball teams than football teams, more teams with no shot to win it all than in football. Should all those teams also throw in the towel and be relegated to a lower tier and just have the biggest 30-40 teams play at the top tier? Blowouts are commonplace and true Cinderella upsets from a bottom half team are extremely rare.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:
    @craig44 Do you have the same complaints about NCAA basketball? I know you’re limiting your thought experiment to football, but why not basketball? More D1 basketball teams than football teams, more teams with no shot to win it all than in football. Should all those teams also throw in the towel and be relegated to a lower tier and just have the biggest 30-40 teams play at the top tier? Blowouts are commonplace and true Cinderella upsets from a bottom half team are extremely rare.

I am sure i would if i knew anything about college hoops. as it is, I only care about the NBA during the playoffs.

but yes, if there are even more D1 teams in college basketball, i would say that is crazy and would want it pared way down.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

Its not like coaches are getting together and making schedules, administrators are who the teams themselves often dont like. It funds the smaller programs which in turn is better overall.

If you really want to blame someone blame TV networks. Some conferences have expressed a willingness to get rid of out of conference games if they were properly compensated for it in their TV deals and the networks arent willing to pay extra for it. Sometimes schools do it on their own anyways. LSU has USC and UCLA in the first month of next season as two of their out of conference games. Schools will do it if the financial incentive is there.

Bowl games have two major issues with opt outs and the portal. The portal is more of an issue for the smaller games with players leaving for a bigger program and the opt outs are the big issue for the bigger games with guys going to the NFL. The portal this year is looking like it will be pretty loaded with who has declared so far. Sometimes guys declare just to get paid more to stay and pull their name, but there are some big names in it currently.

It is important though as part of the structure to keep most of these other programs alive. Yes the schools should pony up the money and they have it but they dont want to spend it there. The "minor league" system really doesnt muddy the waters. Even the biggest upsets like App State over Michigan or Troy over LSU, those werent championship teams. Michigan lost 4 games that year, LSU lost 3. Boise State over Oklahoma was a bowl game. Theyre fun stories when they happen but its not like theyre having major implications. The majority of the biggest upsets are conference games like Purdue over OSU.

Theres Title 9 implications as well even though there shouldnt be if such a conference was created. Even now you have lawsuits against schools and the NCAA claiming a violation of Title 9 over NIL money which doesnt really make sense. Livvy Dunne is one of the highest earning athletes in all of college sports in terms of NIL and there are others. The schools dont even control NIL anyways.

when it comes to the ridiculous out of conference games, i am not even talking about the couple of times a year there is a big upset. i am talking about what value does georgia playing Kent State have? and when Georgia blows the doors off from them, how much is it worth? how do you even evaluate that type of a "win"? It is just a wasted opportunity for Georgia to play a meaningful opponent.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@burghman said:

I am sure i would if i knew anything about college hoops. as it is, I only care about the NBA during the playoffs.

but yes, if there are even more D1 teams in college basketball, i would say that is crazy and would want it pared way down.

Over 350 D1 basketball teams and over 300 D1 baseball teams. Granted baseball does have the better chance to win and there are programs like Southern Miss, Oral Roberts that get to the playoffs all the time

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

when it comes to the ridiculous out of conference games, i am not even talking about the couple of times a year there is a big upset. i am talking about what value does georgia playing Kent State have? and when Georgia blows the doors off from them, how much is it worth? how do you even evaluate that type of a "win"? It is just a wasted opportunity for Georgia to play a meaningful opponent.

The value is that a player at Kent State gets experience and exposure. GA can also use some backups for experience and the smaller program gets to pay its bills. The starting QB for the Pats tonight is Zappe who came from Western Kentucky whose program wouldnt exist without OSU or others paying them money to come get dominated.

Those wins arent valued or evaluated. Theyre a must win game that unless you lose doesnt move the needle. Every big team plays them

• Options

@craig44 said:

@burghman said:

Understood. Then all I can offer is that the fans of college sports for the most part like things the way they are - lots of teams, lots of opportunities for lower tiers to play and possibly even show a little something against the upper ranks - while people who aren’t really fans don’t quite understand why it is that way and why it appeals to us.

Jim

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 6:52PM

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

The value is that a player at Kent State gets experience and exposure. GA can also use some backups for experience and the smaller program gets to pay its bills. The starting QB for the Pats tonight is Zappe who came from Western Kentucky whose program wouldnt exist without OSU or others paying them money to come get dominated.

Those wins arent valued or evaluated. Theyre a must win game that unless you lose doesnt move the needle. Every big team plays them

Not to mention that it gives fans who aren’t season ticket holders a rare reasonably priced game to attend and get back to school (Penn St. in my case). Even with 106,000+ seats at Beaver Stadium, I’m not shelling out hundreds of dollars per ticket to go see a top tier opponent; I’ll watch on TV and instead spend <$100 to see Delaware or UMass while visiting my old stomping grounds and showing the kids where Dad went to school.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

Not to mention that it gives fans who aren’t season ticket holders a rare reasonably priced game to attend and get back to school (Penn St. in my case). Even with 106,000+ seats at Beaver Stadium, I’m not shelling out hundreds of dollars per ticket to go see a top tier opponent; I’ll watch on TV and instead spend <$100 to see Delaware or UMass while visiting my old stomping grounds and showing the kids where Dad went to school.

Also a very good point. Even the nose bleeds for Bama Georgia were over 300 and the Army Navy game prices are around the same price.

The big games you either have to be a season ticket holder, have bought tickets a long time in advance, or really pay up for them now and thats not unique to just football

• Options

Michigan and Alabama have only played 3 times.

Alabama holds a 2-1 edge.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

The player from Kent or any of those other schools would still be "known" They would just be playing in a different "division" from the good schools. You dont need to be playing on TV to get exposed. there are hundreds of high school players who are recruited every year who are not getting "exposed" on a national Television broadcast. it would just be different. bad team players would be evaluated just as current high school players are. they just wouldnt be muddying the waters of the regular season.

you keep saying that the other 93 college football programs would cease to exist if they werent allowed to play in the DI regular season or without getting a bigger program to pay them to play a game. it just is not true. How do DII schools exist??? what about juco? they just become the local teams. All of those DII teams are not getting paid to play every season. neither is juco.

of course those games "matter" as of now. they matter because if you have any more than 1 loss, you are out of the running for the 4 team playoff. they schedule those cupcake/fraudulent games often either before or after a bigger game so they can get an extra week "off" plus it pads their records.

dont you see how fraudulent that type of a system is? It is almost like a pro team paying to play the globetrotters or a barnstorming team just to pad their W/L record.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    dont you see how fraudulent that type of a system is? It is almost like a pro team paying to play the globetrotters or a barnstorming team just to pad their W/L record.

Or like any pro team playing my Steelers, Pirates, or Penguins this year 🤣 Sorry, I’m miserable about the consecutive losses to 2 win teams at home and the overall state of Pittsburgh pro sports for the next X years

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@craig44 said:

@burghman said:

Understood. Then all I can offer is that the fans of college sports for the most part like things the way they are - lots of teams, lots of opportunities for lower tiers to play and possibly even show a little something against the upper ranks - while people who aren’t really fans don’t quite understand why it is that way and why it appeals to us.

I can see that point of view, i just disagree with it. I think that fans will get used to most anything over time. and i think CFB could gain TONS of fans nationally (who would watch on TV which is where the big money is) if there were less "filler" games and teams to keep track of.

As a casual cfb fan, I could become a rabid fan if there were some changes made to make the game easier to follow. 133 teams is probably more than even the most rabid cfb fan can realistically keep track of. if that were brought down to a more manageable size, you would get more casuals to invest in the season. you would have much better games and many many more important games. you would also be more likely to have a playoff system where teams could be accurately seeded as opposed to a panel making selections.

I can promise there would be much more engagement nationally if there were less "filler" teams and more meat and potatoes.

• Options

@burghman said:

@craig44 said:

Or like any pro team playing my Steelers, Pirates, or Penguins this year 🤣 Sorry, I’m miserable about the consecutive losses to 2 win teams at home and the overall state of Pittsburgh pro sports for the next X years

yes, those teams are putrid right now. eventually, they will be back on top again. or at least in the running. Kent State will NEVER be even in the running for the CFB playoffs or championship. they are not and will never be in the same league as Georgia or Michigan. I think they should LITERALLY not be in the same league

• Options
    edited December 8, 2023 8:42AM

Maybe it’s not obvious to people who aren’t following college football, but there’s nothing forcing these bottom feeders to remain at the level they’re at. Teams move themselves up and down (mostly ip, rarely down) - JMU just elevated to the bowl subdivision (FBS) and had a pretty decent year. If the teams are really annoyed that they truly have no chance to win it all, then they should drop down to the level that has always had a true playoff (FCS). If they don’t like that, drop down another tier (D2, I think). Have a blast, find your niche.

The schools are voluntarily remaining at these levels so they must be reaping some benefit.

Jim

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Advocating for a "Super Conference" like has been mentioned is a Pipe Dream that just won't happen, at least not soon and not in our lifetimes. There is a long, proud tradition in place of Conference affiliation that runs much deeper than 10 schools grouped together playing D1 football games. One important aspect of that affiliation is school Alumni Groups generating probably billions of dollars of annual revenue to NCAA member schools. If you start screwing with that sort of thing, like kicking out Northwestern University because you don't think their sports programs are on par with Ohio State and Michigan, you'll start to kill the golden goose.

This is just football. It generates money but not enough to keep these universities afloat.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

The player from Kent or any of those other schools would still be "known" They would just be playing in a different "division" from the good schools. You dont need to be playing on TV to get exposed. there are hundreds of high school players who are recruited every year who are not getting "exposed" on a national Television broadcast. it would just be different. bad team players would be evaluated just as current high school players are. they just wouldnt be muddying the waters of the regular season.

you keep saying that the other 93 college football programs would cease to exist if they werent allowed to play in the DI regular season or without getting a bigger program to pay them to play a game. it just is not true. How do DII schools exist??? what about juco? they just become the local teams. All of those DII teams are not getting paid to play every season. neither is juco.

of course those games "matter" as of now. they matter because if you have any more than 1 loss, you are out of the running for the 4 team playoff. they schedule those cupcake/fraudulent games often either before or after a bigger game so they can get an extra week "off" plus it pads their records.

High school players are actually getting exposure on national TV now and they all attend camps etc playing against other top guys. Sometimes they just get flat out lucky that schools are there to watch a teammate and end up noticing them. Top programs arent flying around watching random high school games.

D2 schools exist with bad facilities and are the weird spot of college sports that athletes generally dont want to end up at. Theyre D3 schools with less academics that can give out athletic scholarships. JUCOs are 2 year schools that are designed to be feeder programs to bigger 4 year programs in both football and baseball and the pros for baseball.

What youre advocating for is taking the 93 teams and pushing them down a level. Theres already more than one division one level which would subsequently push that level down as well. Not all 93 teams would cease to exist, but at least a third if not half would just end their programs instead of losing money on them which is what happens if their payday is taken away.

Most transfers still happen from smaller big programs to bigger big programs. Its still rare for a UMass type player to transfer into a big program. The Vandys and Northwesterns are still power 4 schools that would be top teams in the FCS if not dominate.

Lets hypothetically say we make this football only super conference and ignore every other major sport and Title 9 implications. Youre talking about taking all of the SEC besides Vandy, which puts it at 15 (including Texas and Oklahoma) as a start. Oklahoma state, USC, Oregon, OSU, PSU, Michigan, Iowa, FSU, Clemson, Miami, Wisconsin, Notre Dame. That gets us to 27.

So now where do we go? Are we judging teams by market which would put teams like Louisville, UNC, and Houston in? Are we judging by performance which gives a list of teams like Louisville, Washington, TCU, Utah, UCLA, Nebraska, UNC, VT, WVU type programs that are good sometimes but also very bad sometimes

Theres only a handful of Power 4 teams you could leave out immediately. I only named some but there are a lot of teams that have legitimate claims to those last 10 or so spots in such a conference.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

it would be far more interesting to me if there was a central governing body that pared down the teams eligible for the National championship to 30 or even 40 teams regardless of conferences.

Then you might appreciate that the NCAA president - yes, the president - just proposed a new athletic division that would essentially be professional sports. No chance more than a couple dozen schools sign up.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

it would be far more interesting to me if there was a central governing body that pared down the teams eligible for the National championship to 30 or even 40 teams regardless of conferences.

Then you might appreciate that the NCAA president - yes, the president - just proposed a new athletic division that would essentially be professional sports. No chance more than a couple dozen schools sign up.

The 30k per athlete in the proposal likely makes it a non starter for even the best schools.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

The 30k per athlete in the proposal likely makes it a non starter for even the best schools.

Top schools can easily afford 30k - which is the minimum, BTW - per athlete. Michigan, for example, has roughly 900 athletes. That's $27m - a drop in the bucket. Every single power 5 can afford that.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

Top schools can easily afford 30k - which is the minimum, BTW - per athlete. Michigan, for example, has roughly 900 athletes. That's $27m - a drop in the bucket. Every single power 5 can afford that.

Affording it certainly wouldnt be the issue, even Indiana just paid 20 million to fire their coach. Aside from legal issues of leaving Power 4 teams behind and possible TV contract issues the question is why would they do it or want to? If the power 4 schools are just going to separate football they can do so without the NCAA and without that mandate

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

High school players are actually getting exposure on national TV now and they all attend camps etc playing against other top guys. Sometimes they just get flat out lucky that schools are there to watch a teammate and end up noticing them. Top programs arent flying around watching random high school games.

D2 schools exist with bad facilities and are the weird spot of college sports that athletes generally dont want to end up at. Theyre D3 schools with less academics that can give out athletic scholarships. JUCOs are 2 year schools that are designed to be feeder programs to bigger 4 year programs in both football and baseball and the pros for baseball.

What youre advocating for is taking the 93 teams and pushing them down a level. Theres already more than one division one level which would subsequently push that level down as well. Not all 93 teams would cease to exist, but at least a third if not half would just end their programs instead of losing money on them which is what happens if their payday is taken away.

Most transfers still happen from smaller big programs to bigger big programs. Its still rare for a UMass type player to transfer into a big program. The Vandys and Northwesterns are still power 4 schools that would be top teams in the FCS if not dominate.

Lets hypothetically say we make this football only super conference and ignore every other major sport and Title 9 implications. Youre talking about taking all of the SEC besides Vandy, which puts it at 15 (including Texas and Oklahoma) as a start. Oklahoma state, USC, Oregon, OSU, PSU, Michigan, Iowa, FSU, Clemson, Miami, Wisconsin, Notre Dame. That gets us to 27.

So now where do we go? Are we judging teams by market which would put teams like Louisville, UNC, and Houston in? Are we judging by performance which gives a list of teams like Louisville, Washington, TCU, Utah, UCLA, Nebraska, UNC, VT, WVU type programs that are good sometimes but also very bad sometimes

Theres only a handful of Power 4 teams you could leave out immediately. I only named some but there are a lot of teams that have legitimate claims to those last 10 or so spots in such a conference.

you said earlier that most top teams are using JUCO as feeder programs. i dont see why that wouldnt keep happening.

there is no way half of the 93 teams would cease to exist. no way.

how would i choose the 30-40 teams? I would possibly consider going back 15 or so years and use the end of year rankings to see which 30-40 teams ranked highest. you could do a point system. ie, 40 points for 1st place one year, 39 for a 2nd place finish, 38 for a 3rd place. add up all the points and average them to get the top 40 teams of the last 15 years.

that is just spitballing. i am sure there are different ways to come to a top 40. but i would do it by achievement, not reputation. then every 10 years or so you could reevaluate the top 40 teams.

would some "big" or "traditionally good" schools get left out? sure they would. one i can think of that was traditionally great but has really stunk lately is Nebraska. not a good team anymore. I am sure there are others.

again, i am not hung up on existing conferences at all.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

I sure would be interested!!

• Options
    edited December 9, 2023 4:33PM

That plan from the NCAA prez is intriguing, but there are big differences between the sports offered at various schools. If it’s truly $30K per athlete for all sports at the school, the $s shelled out by PSU, Mich, and OSU - each with 29+ sports - would be very different than GA (19) and AL (21). Not sure how many athletes those differences account for, but even assuming just 10 students per sport, then there’s a difference of $3 million between GA’s 19 and Michigan’s 29 sports (PSU is 29, OSU 36). Might be small potatoes in the overall athletic budget, but if you’re going to spin up a separate league then things like that may need to even out (either level the number if sports or set a “salary floor” that every school has to reach to participate).

Jim

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:
    @Basebal21

you said earlier that most top teams are using JUCO as feeder programs. i dont see why that wouldnt keep happening.

there is no way half of the 93 teams would cease to exist. no way.

how would i choose the 30-40 teams? I would possibly consider going back 15 or so years and use the end of year rankings to see which 30-40 teams ranked highest. you could do a point system. ie, 40 points for 1st place one year, 39 for a 2nd place finish, 38 for a 3rd place. add up all the points and average them to get the top 40 teams of the last 15 years.

that is just spitballing. i am sure there are different ways to come to a top 40. but i would do it by achievement, not reputation. then every 10 years or so you could reevaluate the top 40 teams.

would some "big" or "traditionally good" schools get left out? sure they would. one i can think of that was traditionally great but has really stunk lately is Nebraska. not a good team anymore. I am sure there are others.

again, i am not hung up on existing conferences at all.

More do come from JUCO than D2, but its still not a huge percentage.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/juco/order/true
    Not everyone is going to start and obviously not all of those schools theyre going to are big programs, but there are some. Thats a decent enough picture of it through there are better sources

The majority still come from smaller programs and even the smaller power 4 programs. The top WR in the portal right now that the bluebloods will want is from Vandy. Theres a bunch of QBs from places like Oregon State, Duke, UCLA etc. Theres 3 very unusual names from Texas A&M at the moment that you almost never see with two elite DEs and a very good tackle with the new coach coming in but thats very unusual to see lineman like that. They may just be doing it to get a big payday to return as well. Dukes QB has already committed to Kentucky which is the 2nd year in a row Kentucky has gotten their QB from a smaller ACC program (Leary from NC State last year), NDs QB Hartman came from Wake Forest etc. The big programs arent immune either, Bama and Georgia have stolen starters from each other recently. Even the service academies will lose players since they arent allowed to go pro anymore. Skenes the #1 overall pick in baseball from LSU was a transfer from Air Force, Ole Miss recently had a safety from Navy, there was another pitcher in the college world series this year who was an Army transfer.

It would likely be close to half the programs that just stop because the schools dont care and arent willing to lose money on them. Even Stanford cut some Olympic programs that cost them very little with the excuse they lost money when they sit on billions and billions of dollars. Even if the football program wasnt cut, other programs would be from the lost revenue. Schools around the country have been doing the same especially with things like wrestling which cost almost nothing. Wrestling is tough from Title 9 implications but they could just expand the dance team to make up for it as opposed to cutting a program.

These schools have basically unlimited money and their research is paid for by grants and donations but are very cheap when it comes to investing in something they actually have to pay for athletically. Programs would be cut without the pay day.

Technically the big schools could still play them anyways if they wanted to which makes the massive 1 conference make less sense.

Nebraska is a good example of a program that has really fallen off, Colorado won a title in the 90s as well. The problem though with a points for ranking system is youre in the exact same spot as before. Theres still at least 10 spots that a bunch of teams could claim in a 40 team system. UNC has been better lately than Nebraska from Maye but Nebraska historically is better, Perdue won the B!G west last year because it was so bad, Liberty who would get dominated by big programs is currently ranked by the playoff committee in the top 25. The AP poll has Liberty and James Madison ranked as a top 25 team which is a joke.

Rankings are bad enough at 25 and would be a disaster for 40. Right now the commissioners of the conferences are new other than one. Sanky who is in charge of the SEC is the longest tenured and started in 2015 that wants to keep the NCAA together. The Big 12 commissioner is a former NBA executive that sees the potential in monetizing basketball more. The ACC commissioner is trying to fight off teams leaving that would end the conference if enough agree, the B!G commissioner is new coming from MLB which is one of the worst run leagues and is successful despite itself

If/when it happens it will just be what programs are determined to be most valuable and will almost certainly being schools leaving the NCAA

• Options

@burghman said:
    That plan from the NCAA prez is intriguing, but there are big differences between the sports offered at various schools. If it’s truly $30K per athlete for all sports at the school, the $s shelled out by PSU, Mich, and OSU - each with 29+ sports - would be very different than GA (19) and AL (21). Not sure how many athletes those differences account for, but even assuming just 10 students per sport, then there’s a difference of $3 million between GA’s 19 and Michigan’s 29 sports (PSU is 29, OSU 36). Might be small potatoes in the overall athletic budget, but if you’re going to spin up a separate league then things like that may need to even out (either level the number if sports or set a “salary floor” that every school has to reach to participate).

Ice Hockey is the big one that has 25ish players. I honestly dont know how that one would work. College hockey is so weird that guys playing are already on pro teams and can be called up at any time like goalies that leave their team to go play in the NHL playoffs. No other major college sport works like that, but if hockey would be included that would be an extra no from schools putting in money for players they dont even control