Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1914 Babe to be auctioned starting next week

Interesting it's an SGC 3. Auction to probably set all-time record price for cards.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options

These don’t come up for sale too often. Yes, I think it could well eclipse the $12.6 million paid for the SGC 9.5 52T Mantle last year. In fact, that’ll mean the three highest priced cards ever sold are all in SGC holders as the T206 Wagner that sold for over $7 million was also in a SGC holder.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would this card be in REA?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Would this card be in REA?

Yes.

The card:

The write up:
    https://robertedwardauctions.com/baltimore-news-ruth

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

How many colors did that card come in? And BTW I do think vintage UK schedule cards are really neat!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, it's a heckuva nice card, and I realize that it only takes two whales who "have to have it", to bid it up to the moon.

That being said, I just don't see this card getting anywhere close to 12.6 million.

We shall see. 😊

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, that is impressive. I will be very interested in the final price.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uffdah, make it happen

• Options

With the right eyeballs it'll reach 10 million (or "ten rocks" as the kids these days state).

Would I be surprised if it only reached 5? No, I'd be shocked. It would be time to stock up on rice and beans.
    Could it reach 15? Just as unlikely.

A fun auction to watch, for sure.

Rebirth. Renewal. Transformation.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

to me this is holy grail of sports cards. not really close for me.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭

The most desirable card in the hobby for sure. This one will break a record. Oh to dream...

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion the most important sports card ever made!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited November 11, 2023 12:06PM

Are there still only 9 known I mean together blue and red? What colour is the rarest of the 2?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand why whales stop bidding. If I had $1B in the bank and a card that I really wanted came up - the disappointment of not having the card would greatly outweigh my sanity not to make one more bid. $12.5MM to a billionaire is like $1K to someone who has $80K in the bank.

This would not be the card I had to have as I am not into minor league cards - but if I ever win the lottery when it reaches $500MM you whales better watch out!!! My single lottery ticket is a danger to the top tier of the hobby!!

• Options

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/babe-ruths-1914-baltimore-card-valued-at-6m-breaks-price-record.html

PUBLISHED WED, JUN 2 202110:30 AM EDT

Sorry if this was already mentioned here, or in the sales pitch for the auction - I didn't read it.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    I don’t understand why whales stop bidding. If I had $1B in the bank and a card that I really wanted came up - the disappointment of not having the card would greatly outweigh my sanity not to make one more bid. $12.5MM to a billionaire is like $1K to someone who has $80K in the bank.

This would not be the card I had to have as I am not into minor league cards - but if I ever win the lottery when it reaches $500MM you whales better watch out!!! My single lottery ticket is a danger to the top tier of the hobby!!

Interesting point to ponder. Could be something similar to say if you like to eat lobster, and you're at an all you can eat lobster buffet, you do get to a point whereby you don't want to eat any more lobster, perhaps not for quite some time.

Collectibles may be that way. Say a billionaire loves baseball cards. But he's already got a 52 Mantle PSA 10, he's already got a high grade T206 Wagner, and other assorted great cards. Might get to the point whereby he's had his fill of baseball cards. He's had enough, and obtaining this Ruth card simply doesn't interest him even though he could easily afford it.

Also the billionaire could gravitate towards other items of interest such as Renaissance art, thoroughbred horses, yachts, or anything else expensive. A guy like Elon Musk "collects" companies with thousands of employees.

So there is some luck that factors into this auction for the final hammer price. Of course the seller is hopeful that there are at least two whales out there, with the exact same passion for this card. If there's only one, or possibly none, then the selling price may be a disappointment.

One thing I think doesn't help here, is the economy the past few years has not been good, the stock market has been stagnant, etc. So there may not be many new billionaires out there with money burning a hole in their pocket to buy this card.

If luck favors the seller on this one, and it sells for more than expected, I'll be happy for the seller, and for the hobby. I'd be happy for myself as well as it may stimulate demand for baseball cards, and make my collection worth a few more dollars. 😎

• Options
    edited November 11, 2023 7:47PM

@brad31 said:

Everyone has mental limits unless insanity takes over. You don't stay rich long if you act in a insane way with your money.

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/babe-ruths-1914-baltimore-card-valued-at-6m-breaks-price-record.html

PUBLISHED WED, JUN 2 202110:30 AM EDT

Sorry if this was already mentioned here, or in the sales pitch for the auction - I didn't read it.

Well, I did finally read the sales pitch. Credit where credit is due, the auction house did mention the info from the link.

"Two months earlier, one percent of the offered SGC 3 Baltimore News Babe Ruth rookie card was offered via fractionalization at an offering valuation of $6 million."

Pasted from the link: (not the auction link)

"Babe Ruth’s 1914 Baltimore News sports card shows The Bambino as a 19-year-old minor league pitcher and is valued at roughly $6 million."

"The card will be made available via a unique IPO through Collectable, a stock-marketlike investing platform. Shares will start at $3."

Just seems like a strange idea to me. Tying up your estimated 6 million dollar card, for a paltry 1% in others "investment" money?

Anyway, so I guess if ya bought a share for $3, and the auction closes at 12 million, you'll receive payment for $6 minus commissions, etc. In reality, a pretty good investment, doubling your money in around two years. That is if it sells for 12 million.

• Options

The early action is already getting pretty hot…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Man, 5MM already. pretty strong.

• Options

I was considering putting in a bid.

Depends on how much I receive from my GoFundMe page to buy this card. 😆

• Options

Seems to be languishing at only $5,250,000

😉

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look how thin he was. Not an ounce of fat.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

He had a fat face his whole life but he wasn’t really ‘heavy’ until the late portion of his career (1930’s Ruth). Prior to that he was actually in pretty good shape.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Seems to be languishing at only $5,250,000

😉

Yeah with ''only'' 13 days to go lol!!!

• Options

So much for PSA's price guide on this card 1.5$ million in a 3.

• Options

Those other 1914 Baltimore News cards are unicorns as well I have seen so few of any of them for sale in over 30 years.

• Options

CURRENT BID: $5,250,000.00

Well the card is at the same number it was a week ago. Around 8 days to go.

Still plenty of time for you to mortgage your house, get a car title loan, pawn your collectibles, borrow money from family and friends, sell your pets for cash, or even rob a bank. Whatever ya gotta do to own this card. 😆

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

$5.5M

Shane

• Options

I imagine the real fireworks will come in extended bidding.

But we will see.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2023 6:28AM

@Cakes said:

He looks just like Barry Bonds did in 1986.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see where this card ends up...but I think the card is ugly...lacks aesthetics.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had the money I would buy the best 1916 Ruth I could. I consider this a minor league card and like the 1916 better.

• Options

CURRENT BID: $5,500,000.00

With 4 days, 8 hours to go.

Okay who are the whales on here with the snipes, and for how much?

Come on, you can tell us, we won't mention it to anybody. 😉

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm coming in at 14.25M

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Someone bumped it to $5,750,000

• Options

@olb31 said:
    i'm coming in at 14.25M

Dam, my snipe was at 14M 😆

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    i'm coming in at 14.25M

@stevek said:

@olb31 said:
    i'm coming in at 14.25M

Dam, my snipe was at 14M 😆

"A Mere Bag of Shells"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    Someone bumped it to $5,750,000

$250,000 bump!

I get nervous when I bump a card $25. 😆

• Options

I am going to see if I can get paypal credit to front me on this one...

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I am going to see if I can get paypal credit to front me on this one...

If you can ask them about my application, I'd appreciate it.

Tell them stevek is certain that he will hit the upcoming Powerball jackpot, and then pay them right back.

• Options

@stevek I am on it. I am sure they will say yes. Who wouldn't. it sounds like the Powerball is a sure thing for you. maybe we can go halfsies on the Ruth!! Your place for 2 weeks, then ship it to me for 2 weeks etc.

• Options

CURRENT BID: $5,750,000.00

Around a day and a half to go.

As Don West (RIP) may have sales pitched if there was "shop at home" on radio back in the 1920's - BUY ALL THE BABE RUTH CARDS YOU CAN. BUY ALL THE BABE RUTH CARDS YOU CAN.

• Options

Still at $5,750,000 with 2 hours left - is this a slam dunk to exceed $10 million??

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    Still at $5,750,000 with 2 hours left - is this a slam dunk to exceed $10 million??

No. But I’d still say it’ll be a pretty good bet to get there. There’s 14 bids and I would there’s 3-4 at least ready to battle for one of the hobby’s more prestigious cards.

I mean, we’re talking about…

• Options

Now at 6$ million.

• Options

It's in extended bidding but I can't see the current bid - still shows $6 million.

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    It's in extended bidding but I can't see the current bid - still shows $6 million.

That is the current bid.

• Options
    SoxSox Posts: 16 ✭✭

$7.2M