Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned 1968 S Proof Quarter - Beautiful or Ugly?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

It graded PF66.

Comments

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't hazy I would like it

• Options

In hand under good lighting, even with the haze, the coin just glows. The gold and blue rim toning, plus the gold toning on the heavily frosted devices are very attractive. If the fields lacked the haze and instead were black and deeply mirrored the coin would really be something.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2023 1:22PM

;)
    I like it!
    The Cameo staying frosty, makes it more eye appealing!
    <3
    Oh? No ddr or s/s?
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. It would stand out in any collection.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it because it likely has not been dipped. And it does have a cameo look even though it may not resonate well enough to get the designation because of what appears to be the natural aging process of a proof coin from this era. While I likely would not have submitted this one, I see the value in just seeing a coin like this as it should be instead of how others want it to look.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m assuming that dipping to remove the haze would also change the color to be much brighter. If so, it is a tough choice to make.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not beautiful and not ugly. A coin that I would pass.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the blue tone but I don’t like the haze.

I’d pass.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ajyasajyas Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

I really like it.
    The contrast between the blue and gold-ish coloring looks splendid.

</> Everybody wants to get the bread, but no one wants to eat the crust. </>

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin except for the haze t

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on this one. Not a big fan of the white spots on the reverse. Reminds me of milk spots on Silver Eagles.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2023 4:50AM

To bad you couldn't dip the fields and leave the devices as they are. I can see why you would like it and I can see why you hesitate to dip it. I'm not sure how those spots on the reverse would react to a dip.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

This has been an interesting thread so far. A wide variety of opinions (all well reasoned IMO) about this unusual coin.

The haze notwithstanding, I fell in love with this coin the moment I saw it. Absent the haze this coin would be one of those rarely seen coins I call a Unicorn (having every possible positive attribute that makes it stand out).

Thanks to all for posting your excellent replies.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

the picture makes it look somewhat ugly, but could be beautiful in hand

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d rather see a colorful proof with the fields lit up than the typical B&W photo you get with the non colorful proofs.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it - but it depends on the price of ownership. It has a look to it that I like.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

For me I bought the OGP proof set containing this quarter for $7.00. The half covers 60% of the $7.00 with the four minors covering 10% each.

Thus my purchase cost was $0.70. Add to that grading fees (quarterly special for 20 coins in the submission of about $17.00 and 1/20th of the shipping costs. My cost basis for this coin is about $21.00.

I get to enjoy owning the coin and if I sell it I think I will at least break even. :)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stretch and give you a $5.00 profit! :D

I like the coin!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. If it were mine, I would have tried to dip it prior to grading and photo session...assuming it dipped okay.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of haze on proof coins at all. I'm not suggesting you dip it, but if the coin were mine I would.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I would try acetone instead of a dip.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not ugly, but its not a beautiful toner either. Its simply a nice looking coin minus the haze.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the not ugly or beautiful, but I would pass as it is not a look I prefer.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live the devices but not the smudged haze in the fields.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s ugly and beautiful; that’s interesting, as well.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimi likes it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cameo is attractive and very unusual. The cloudiness and toning spots detract from it. Since it is a copper-nickel coin, I am not sure what can be done to fix it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

TTT.

This quarter was returned to me today. In hand, under good lighting, the haze in the fields is not as apparent as it is in the Trueview. Both the fields and the devices have a similar gold color that is accented by the blue rim toning.

Along with the 1968 S Quarter discussed above, I also submitted for grading this toned 1969 S Quarter:

This 1969 S Quarter graded PF67. It does not have hazy fields. It does have frosted devices on both sides. It also has gold color on the fields and the devices, plus it has blue rim toning. The two Quarters could be bookends as they are so similar.

It is interesting how the Trueview photos of the two Quarters are so different. The photo of the 1968 S shows mirrored fields and frosted devices in contrast to each other while the photo of the 1969 S shows muted color and no contract between the fields and the devices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file