Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which 1873-S quarter do you prefer? Updated CACG grading and sticker surprise!

CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2023 11:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Choose one and give me your reasons. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

While both are nice, the bottom one gets my vote.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough choice really, but the bottom one has a look I think I'd like more

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 2nd one better with the color assuming that’s how it looks in hand.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top one is more in line with the look I try to find. Original gray.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom one. More detail, and more original look add up to the better coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second one better. Looks like it hasn't been messed with

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

931 more meat on that one

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top coin initially stands out with light gray color, but on closer inspection, it has slightly more wear, and the carbon spot on the eagle's wing is annoying. The second coin may or may not have some slight rim issues at the upper left, but overall, it is a sharper coin with original skin. I'll go with the second one.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 ... no contest.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numero dos is the better coin. Less wear, overall surfaces are nice

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the bottom one-Better details and more originality.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the camp with #2

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Door #2. It has more color.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the patina of the first one, but would have to go with the second, just more detail.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the overwhelming consensus, number two. In my opinion this one has a great appeal and just has nothing against it at all.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with 2 as well. More detail and original.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2023 7:06AM

I like #2 better but something with that complete color saturation it makes me wonder.
    The first one is definitely original
    The color of #2 looks almost too perfect and even.
    If the two had the same wear I may be persuaded to #1.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

BTW...has anyone found any evidence of a third reverse? I know I looked for a while but never found one.

"Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, published in 1988, describes, but does not illustrate, an 1873-S Seated Liberty, Open 3 quarter dollar with Double S Mint mark, the first punch too low, then corrected.

Greg Johnson states he has never seen an example of the reverse that Breen identifies, and none of the 71 1873-S Seated Liberty quarter dollars recorded in Heritage's archives exhibit the reverse.

Breen's suggested third reverse is also not cited in Larry Briggs' subsequent detailed reference, The Comprehensive Encyclopedia of United States Liberty Seated Quarters."

Source : Paul Gilkes, Coin World, 2/8/2016

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Both nice coins, my votel is for the second one.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dos

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two, as I believe it’s super original. Both are quite nice.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Here are two more sets of photos of the same two coins.

Doug

• Options

They are close. These photo's are better. I like them both as original.

Hair detail about the same and the strap at shoulder seems better on 1. Surfaces on 2 are better; therefore 2 for me now.

BTW, I'll take your reject off your hands.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the bottom one! It just looks a lot nicer and more original.

The top one isn’t bad however, I just like the bottom one better

• Options

John,

I've never seen a third reverse, Breen was probably mistaken.

Doug

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second one for sure.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen both in person. Both great coins, but I prefer number 2.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the bottom more. Tough decision though.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second coin as well for me. There seems to be subdued luster in the devices and might have just a little more detail. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the flat grey appearance on classic silver... I'm sure the coin presents well, but I prefer coin 2.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Thanks to everyone for your choices. The results were overwhelming, but not unexpected. The second 1873-S
    quarter is the nicest example I've seen of that date. The main reason I started the thread was to seek opinions
    on the second coin, which failed to be graded by CACG grading at any grade!

Doug

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:
    Thanks to everyone for your choices. The results were overwhelming, but not unexpected. The second 1873-S
    quarter is the nicest example I've seen of that date. The main reason I started the thread was to seek opinions

Doug

Yikes, do you know the reason why? They are both nice coins, but the second coin is exceptionally nice IMHO.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 1873-s PCGS XF45. I don't mean to hijack, but it's worth comparing to the two coins above.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

I like the color of the first one better (to each their own, though I may be in the minority.) As to why CACG wouldn't grade the second, I expect it's an issue that may not be apparent from the images. Both are very nice coins.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that coin 2 has PVC damage.....all the little black specks on the coin may be damage. If so CACG won't even detail it.

• Options

Mine is a VF25.

• Options

Rhedden and Don,

Very nice examples!

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what to tell you but if you want to get rid of coin number 2 let me know. My guess is whoever was grading it must have just had a fight with their ex-wife before grading it. That is just about as nice as seated quarters come circulated. James

• Options

Thanks James, I agree!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

What was CACG's verdict? Simply "Below requested minimums?" If so, send them an e-mail and ask. If the coin was submitted raw, you would have received a DETAILS holder unless it in fact had PVC.

• Options

There was no stated reason for the no grade other than "below requested minimums." I did request no details holder, so they thought it wasn't worthy at any grade.

Doug

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of those coins would sell easily to serious Seated Liberty quarter collectors. If I had been offered either coin back in the 1980s when I was actively collecting the series I'd have bought it.

Bring back album collecting!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:
    There was no stated reason for the no grade other than "below requested minimums." I did request no details holder, so they thought it wasn't worthy at any grade.

I see from your TV your coin is XF40. If XF40 was your minimum grade, it's possible CACG felt it was overgraded. Normally CACG will send back a TPG coin "as is" if they feel it is not CAC caliber. However, it's worth e-mailing CACG and asking why did it did not meet requested minimums.

CACG is a new product and I believe there is a learning curve involved here for both CACG AND us collectors.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@Crepidodera said:

I see from your TV your coin is XF40. If XF40 was your minimum grade, it's possible CACG felt it was overgraded. Normally CACG will send back a TPG coin "as is" if they feel it is not CAC caliber. However, it's worth e-mailing CACG and asking why did it did not meet requested minimums.

CACG is a new product and I believe there is a learning curve involved here for both CACG AND us collectors.

No minimum grade was requested, they refused to straight grade the coin!

Doug

• Options

Weird. It seems like any CAC stickered coin would slab at that grade with CACG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file