Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

November 22, 1963

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2023 12:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Those of you that remember this day. I know "exactly" where you were, in school like me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd grade. We are all squirming impatiently in our classroom. Our teacher, Mrs. Rebshure, is late coming back from lunch. When she finally arrives, she is sobbing. Between the tears and with her voice cracking, she announces that President Kennedy has been shot.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Tim

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I learned today that the last city Kennedy visited before Dallas was Tampa, Florida. I own exactly one JFK Half:

???? Isn't Fort Worth a city?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was crawling around the floor, well I guess anyway as I was too young to know or care. One of my least favorite coin designs of all time, but I have one for type purposes.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 3:27PM

The procession just passing the Lincoln Memorial, en route over the bridge to Arlington National Cemetery.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2023 3:27PM

The caisson with the President's body leaves the White House.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 5:56PM

@pointfivezero @CoinHoarder -

Yes, like it was yesterday! The day the world/country changed for us kids for sure!! Three teachers were huddled in the front of the classroom. Two were crying. I can still see their hands on their faces, crying!! All us kids were looking at each other. We know something major, something really bad had happened. They wheeled in a TV. The one thing that really stood out, was how the adults were all so laser focused watching the news broadcast. We were released early as well. And then the shock on my mother's face at home. The same for my dad later that day when he came home from work.

It was like the heart beat of the country died that day!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

7th Grade at Harmony Leland Elementary School, Mableton, Georgia, 12 years old. Teachers were called over the intercom to the principal's office, then returned to the classroom for the announcement over the public address system. First report was that he had been shot in Dallas while in a motorcade. Not long after the announcement that he had died. We didn't change classes the rest of the day but sat in the classroom. We were dismissed at the regular time as most of us rode buses and they had to do their usual routes for all the schools. It was a very sad day.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a strange, sad experience. A girl ran into our 2nd grade classroom yelling ‘The Presidents been shot!’. I wasn’t sure who or what a ‘President’ was, but my teacher (a Catholic nun), ran out into the hallway, and came back 5 minutes later, absolutely sobbing. We were all sent home immediately. The oddest part of the day was every adult I saw in my neighborhood was crying, every single one, even my parents. Such a sad, confusing day that will always be burned into my memory.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    2nd grade.

Tim, we must be the same age. I remember it too. Also remember watching my mom sit in a rocking chair, rocking and crying from early morning until the TV went off the air at midnight.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@pointfivezero said:
    2nd grade.

Tim, we must be the same age. I remember it too. Also remember watching my mom sit in a rocking chair, rocking and crying from early morning until the TV went off the air at midnight.

Tom, 8/4/56

Tim

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

5/11/56

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of those events for which the moment you heard is seared into your memory.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I automatically start thinking of Stephen King.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

12/18/1956

Drunner

• Options

This sounds selfish, but I am glad I was only 8 years old when this happened. As a 4th-grader I knew that JFK was President, but I had the fuzziest idea of what a President did, and my knowledge of national and international events was limited. From my observation and reading, the people who really suffered back then were adults, because they could understand the wide-ranging implications of the assassination. Had I been 28 instead of 8, I would've been traumatized; instead, I was just shocked and so were my classmates. My ignorance and naivete saved me from being more affected.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file