Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 Baseball pre-season discussion is officially underway. Who is going where?

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping the 3 Japanese players want to play together for a while till they get their shit together and sign shorter length deals for a much bigger package in a few years. Money is all relevant as whatever they sign for will be enough to make them as rich as Ohtani already is.

• Options

Reports are that the are close to signing Andrew Bailey as pitching coach.
    He would help these younger players.

• Options

Now Bailey has signed they are saying.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 I also hope they sign both Japanese players this offseason. It would at least make the team more exciting to watch. This past year was the most ambivalent I have been about a red sox season since the late 80's

There was no one on the team i was a fan of. Just didnt care. I get that feeling from lots of guys up here in NE.

John Henry should take notice. the worst place you can be is luke warm, and that is where the Sox are right now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

With two back to back seasons, both ending in LAST PLACE, I have close to zero enthusiasm for the Red Sox near term.

Most managers would have been fired after the first last place finish, but to have a repeat and the manager (Cora the cheater), is still there, is a mystery to me. It stuns me to think his skills are considered so valuable to the front office that his beard, no beard, beard, no beard mug will be there in the dugout, always looking for the 9th inning and his key fob.

The team has been disassembled and now is a mere shell of what it once was. Are we now to believe an influx of Japanese players are gonna be the saviors? I'll guarantee you, Nathan Eovaldi is loving life in Texas. He, among others were not pursued enough to have them remain on the team, much like the beloved Xander. Throwing money at prospects, especially Ohtani, who will demand untold millions will be a fool's errand. Don't they have a farm system??? Give somebody a shot!!

The history of the Red Sox is rife with poor contracts, non-performing players of not too long ago, like the fatty at 3rd base and the dismal left fielder, all who took the coin, but did little in terms of performance. Do I really need to bring up Chris Sale? Well, just as a reminder, Sale pitched 20 games in 2023, he won a whopping 6 games, lost 5 and finished with and ERA of 4.30. For this he was paid TWENTY SEVEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND, US!! Imagine, IMAGINE...he was paid $4.58m for each of those 6 wins. He rarely pitches beyond 5 innings...do the math.

I really don't care too much about how the rearrange the deck chairs, non of the people making these decisions have probably never played the game, they don't catch, bat, throw or run. They just sit back, count the attendance, get their heads all geeked out with cybermetrics, untold spreadsheets to make decisions... in my book, most of all this is BS and their decisions have fractured a once very cohesive team that is now a mere skeleton of happier and more productive times.

For those who get excited about every nuance and movement of players and coaches, I can't abide that viewpoint, and no, I won't be getting the baseball package next year.

• Options

I also dont understand the infatuation with Cora. I dont like the guy. He always seems miserable. He seems like he is just angry and doesnt want to be at post game press conferences.

I would never have brought him back after his suspension and definitely not after last season.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I'm hoping the 3 Japanese players want to play together for a while till they get their shit together and sign shorter length deals for a much bigger package in a few years. Money is all relevant as whatever they sign for will be enough to make them as rich as Ohtani already is.

Yamamotos contract directly impacts the posting fee the Buffalos get for him. If he tries something cute a short deal to all play together they can just revoke his posting and make him come back to Japan where he would have to play out his contract there. Othani may be fine doing like a 1 year 40 mil or something like that while he recovers from TJ but Yamamoto is going to be something like 7/200

Othani has an obligation to other players to set a high market just as Yamamoto has an obligation to future Japanese players that get posted to set a high market there. He is the best pitcher they have ever posted and is coming off of 3 Japanese Cy Youngs in a row as a 25 year old.

They may not take the absolute top dollar. but it will be close to it.

• Options

You really think Cora is going to last the season? I think he will be gone by May. The only reason he is still there is because he had a signed contract for next year. Once he is gone the new man in charge will bring in who he wants there.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 2:21PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    You really think Cora is going to last the season? I think he will be gone by May. The only reason he is still there is because he had a signed contract for next year. Once he is gone the new man in charge will bring in who he wants there.

Are you serious?? No, he won't be gone by May, I suspect he'll limp through 2024 with yet another mediocre performance. Remember, he's quoted as saying he's not ready for a front office position yet, indicating he thinks he has those skills required to perform in decisions making arena. His hubris is stunning. I wouldn't let this cheater wash my car.

Are you saying the Red Sox can't fire him because he has signed contract? Happens all the time, its called a buy out.

He should remember he's in the USA, not Puerto Rico, if he loves it so much, he should move there...permanently. How ungrateful can you be, because Trump didn't jump through his backside and rebuid the whole island, he was a no go?

CHICAGO — Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora will not attend the ceremony at the White House on Thursday honoring the 2018 World Series champions.

Cora cited the Trump administration's response to Hurricane Maria in his native Puerto Rico as the reason for his decision.

"The government has done some things back home that are great, but we still have a long ways to go," he said on Sunday following a 9-2 win over the Chicago White Sox. "That's our reality. It's pretty tough to go celebrate when we're where we're at. I'd rather not go and be consistent with everything."

Cora recently said he might attend the ceremony and say something, but had a change of heart after speaking with family and friends.

It isn't only me that thinks he's horrible...this is what I suspect most Bostonians, i.e. Red Sox Nation thinks of him. Read on my friend, it's as clear as clear can be. Cora needs to move back to Puerto Rico and retire.

https://chowderandchampions.com/2023/08/13/3-reasons-red-sox-should-fire-alex-cora/3/

• Options

Cora is not Breslow's pick for a manager and if he is not performing to his satisfaction he will fire him and replace him with his own manager.
    Head of baseball operations is what he was hired for and Cora is on a short leash as he was Bloom's 2 year contract not Breslow's.
    Fans ae nit going to put up with another year like the last 2 and neither is Henry when no one is in the ballpark !!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Cora is not Breslow's pick for a manager and if he is not performing to his satisfaction he will fire him and replace him with his own manager.
    Head of baseball operations is what he was hired for and Cora is on a short leash as he was Bloom's 2 year contract not Breslow's.
    Fans ae nit going to put up with another year like the last 2 and neither is Henry when no one is in the ballpark !!

He could certainly get fired but it wont be before May unless there is a big scandal. If someones leash is that short you would just fire them in the off season and not even bother giving them a chance.

• Options

Well we shall see ! Cora has to come out a different manager than he has been if he wants to keep his job that's for sure.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Precisely! Upper management has already ham strung Breslow with a turd in the dugout. Better they had jettisoned Cora (the cheater) and give Breslow a clean slate to pick a new manager. They had enough time to do so, but they kept the bozo.

I think it's counter productive to have a known failure (TWO SEASONS IN A ROW LAST PLACE FINISH), and limp along until he finally shows that his net worth to the team is a negative...then they have to search for a new skipper and disrupt the efforts of the team they're trying to put together.

Stupid is as stupid does. Red Sox management may well have very talented personnel, but their actions indicate they have not a remote clue about the obvious.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

He should remember he's in the USA, not Puerto Rico,

Puerto Rico is part of the United States.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Sort of. Territories are owned by the United States, not technically a part of it. Puerto Rico has had chances to become apart of it applying for statehood in the past, but they voted against doing so

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Sort of. Territories are owned by the United States, not technically a part of it. Puerto Rico has had chances to become apart of it applying for statehood in the past, but they voted against doing so

"After joining the United States..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10052212/#:~:text=After joining the United States,currency is the American dollar.

Either way, Cora is a US citizen, as are all Puerto Ricans. They use the USPS, etc.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2023 3:53PM

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

"After joining the United States..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10052212/#:~:text=After joining the United States,currency is the American dollar.

Either way, Cora is a US citizen, as are all Puerto Ricans. They use the USPS, etc.

Yes they are citizens, but they never did join the United States, they are owned by the United States as are all territories. Joining would be becoming a state

Couldnt care less about Cora. Was just commenting on the fact territories arent part of the United States.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

I think you need to ponder your post a bit more!

Point is, Cora was so proudly waving the Puerto Rican flag as he rolled down Boylston Street in BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS.

And, NO, Puerto Rico ain't a part of the United States. Better the cheater had been waving an American flag, not the one he chose, Puerto Rico had ZIP to do with the 2018 WS win.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps I couldnt agree more.

While I am sure it is an unpopular opinion, I think one should be patriotic for the country they are choosing to live in.

I have both Irish and Scottish heritage. Lots of it. You will not see either of those flags flying over my property.

secondly, I sure wish they would just move on from Cora. I just dont see the infatuation there. He came in for the 2018 season. He took over Farrell's team that had been first place in the AL east 2 years in a row. He won with Farrells team. He has done absolutely nothing since. Ever since that WS, he has had a 332-316 record. 16 wins over .500 in 4 seasons. oh yeah, and a one year suspension.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 10:09PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Tabe said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

I think you need to ponder your post a bit more!

I mean, I literally quoted, and linked to, a United States government web site...

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Missouri, and there are at least 3 different flags that I can think of that I see fly everyday from the flagpoles of the homes and trucks of White Anglo Saxon Protestant citizens of the Untied States of America that disgust me much, much, much more than a natural born citizen of the United States of America proudly displaying a Puerto Rican flag. I quite frankly can't grasp why any thinking person, with even a semblance of education, knowledge of history, and respect for sacrifice, would ever fly these flags.

But they do... United States Citizens have rights, you know... freedom of speech and all that, I guess... (irony)

• Options

Yamamoto to be posted Monday.
    Red Sox Luis Urias traded to Mariners for Isaiah Cambell.

• Options

Hopefully the new guy dumps Verdugo and his "I'm great and I know it" attitude.

• Options

He needs a big change in attitude .
    Nobody is going to give anything good for him so they will end up keeping him.
    He has the hardware to do the job but not the software to handle it.

• Options

Nola resigned with Philly. Reportedly 7 years 170 mil range

• Options

I am excited to see how Yamamoto will do here Stateside.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 12:20PM

I will be excited to do see how well he will do only if he is a member of the Red Sox !

• Options

As long as the pitch clock and the longer season doesnt get him hell be in Cy Young contention. His stuff is absolutely filthy and as good as anyones

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 11:46AM

I have to say, I am a little dubious of all the claims from Japan. Maybe I haven't fully gotten over the whole Diaske Matsuzaka thing from a decade and a half ago.

I was promised a gyro ball.

I never got a gyro ball.

• Options

Yamamoto has been posted.
    Lets see who wants him the most

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 12:48PM

@craig44 said:
    I have to say, I am a little dubious of all the claims from Japan. Maybe I haven't fully gotten over the whole Diaske Matsuzaka thing from a decade and a half ago.

I never got a gyro ball.

He throws over 100, has multiple elite pitches. Darvish would be the closest comparison. It will take a little bit to adjust to the MLB ball for offspeed as the seems on the Japanese baseball are in slightly different locations and is slicker but that will all be done in the offseason and spring training. That would mostly impact his splitter.

The only real worry is that hes only 5'10 and with MLB set to drop the pitch clock down to 17 seconds with no one on base and the longer season that could become an issue down the stretch. That should be offset a little by Japanese pitchers being used to throwing a lot, but Japan doesnt have a pitch clock so that will be new. He works pretty fast anyways but not being able to take a breather here and there will be different

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Wow, he gets to be the first baseball pitcher to pitch the Lords word to major league hitters !
    He is here to save the Red Sox !

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

I never got a gyro ball.

He throws over 100, has multiple elite pitches. Darvish would be the closest comparison. It will take a little bit to adjust to the MLB ball for offspeed as the seems on the Japanese baseball are in slightly different locations and is slicker but that will all be done in the offseason and spring training. That would mostly impact his splitter.

The only real worry is that hes only 5'10 and with MLB set to drop the pitch clock down to 17 seconds with no one on base and the longer season that could become an issue down the stretch. That should be offset a little by Japanese pitchers being used to throwing a lot, but Japan doesnt have a pitch clock so that will be new. He works pretty fast anyways but not being able to take a breather here and there will be different

didnt realize how teeny tiny he is. sounds like a max effort/tommy john patient waiting to happen.

we used to have a little guy though who pitched for us for about 7 seasons during the late 1990's and he worked out just fine...

• Options

Teams start contacting him this morning that want to sign him.
    He is going to make a ton of money no matter where he signs so he wants to make sure he signs wherever he wants to be.
    I hope he decides to sign with the Red Sox!

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

I never got a gyro ball.

didnt realize how teeny tiny he is. sounds like a max effort/tommy john patient waiting to happen.

we used to have a little guy though who pitched for us for about 7 seasons during the late 1990's and he worked out just fine...

Yea Pedro was a tiny guy, Roy Oswalt was pretty small too. Its not a guaranteed injury being small, but its not ideal either especially with the pitch clock now so they can have more commercials. Either way Yammatos pure stuff is top 10 in the league

• Options

Andrew Bailey should be able to help the young pitching staff progress for the Sox this coming year.
    They just need one ace to lead the staff.
    Who will they get is the question?

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    with MLB set to drop the pitch clock down to 17 seconds with no one on base

Pretty sure this is just a typo but you but, if not - the change is for when guys are on base not empty. It's still 15 seconds with no one on.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

I don't understand this signing. $25m a year to a guy who is already 30, coming off a bad year, who was also not good in 2021.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2023 5:20PM

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:
    with MLB set to drop the pitch clock down to 17 seconds with no one on base

Pretty sure this is just a typo but you but, if not - the change is for when guys are on base not empty. It's still 15 seconds with no one on.

Was an autocorrect thanks for catching that. The competition committee is moving towards dropping the 20 seconds to 17 seconds with no one on base. The committee which Tony Clarke got the players to agree too has 6 owners, 1 umpire and 4 player representatives so the players have no ability to stop the change or any change they want to do.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

I don't understand this signing. $25m a year to a guy who is already 30, coming off a bad year, who was also not good in 2021.

He had a down year, but its a good signing overall. Relatively cheap for a front end starter and theyre in win now mode.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

He had a down year, but its a good signing overall. Relatively cheap for a front end starter and theyre in win now mode.

4.63 ERA in 2021. He eats innings and never misses starts but he's 30 coming off two out of three seasons with ERAs of 4.4 or higher. I'm not saying he sucks but that's a lot of money who's been below average 2 of the last 3.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

4.63 ERA in 2021. He eats innings and never misses starts but he's 30 coming off two out of three seasons with ERAs of 4.4 or higher. I'm not saying he sucks but that's a lot of money who's been below average 2 of the last 3.

25 a year isnt that much in todays game. If you look at his game to game starts he gets shelled sometimes which raises his ERA. Hes not the greatest starter ever but he didnt get paid as one either. He has had a pretty bad defense behind him too. Castellanos is a bad OFer they go with because of his bat in a very hitter friendly park

• Options

Yamamoto says he wants to go to a team that has other Japanese players and will decide where he wants to play after the baseball meetings are over,
    Time for the Red Sox to break out the big guns !

• Options

It appears that the Mets have the edge on getting Yamamoto, with the Red Sox close behind. The Red Sox have an ace up their sleeve, he was teammates with Masataka Yoshida in Japan. Masa now having kinda figured out the Boston landscape, he might be the final thought to signing with Boston, and maybe not having to figure out New York.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2023 4:53PM

Let's hope so ! The Mets have a ton of money available to them after unloading salaries at the trade deadline so the Sox need some sort of advantage

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Yamamoto says he wants to go to a team that has other Japanese players and will decide where he wants to play after the baseball meetings are over,

I agree. time for john henry to dust the cobwebs off that checkbook!!

• Options

@craig44 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

If he doesn't spend some serious money this winter he will have an empty ballpark next summer !

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

@craig44 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

If he doesn't spend some serious money this winter he will have an empty ballpark next summer !

do players really want to go to boston anymore or is just money the players see when chosing a team to go to when they are free agents. or is it since the redsox are cheap the last five years and do not want to sign any good players anymore.

• Options

Suarez traded to Arizona