Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

To Rip or Not to Rip

Comments

• NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Nikklos
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    But good thing I opened this one. Imagine five years from now someone pays $10k for it and it has a Tom Grieve like that!

Miscuts actually have a fairly strong market, better than run of the mill OC at least!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@handyman said:
    Nooo.
    "But it’s fun and these cards were meant to be seen." But the unopened pack must exist as well.
    I hope I own the last pack museum.
    Rip away

Haven't you ripped 1970 wax packs?? B)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Tim - I have some miscut 1970 cards from the same box that actually fit together. I always thought there was some value in that

Nikklos

I’m glad they’re out there

Nikklos
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall the first miscut baseball card I ever saw. I also collected coins and stamps, and thought it might be valuable like a coin error, and stamp errors could be extremely valuable like the Inverted Jenny.

However after that i began noticing miscut cards on a regular basis, realized they couldn't be valuable being that prevalent, and they soon became bicycle spoke material. 😆

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind seeing a back or two. I love those those 1973 black backs when they are clean and un-chipped.

@nam812 said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing a back or two. I love those those 1973 black backs when they are clean and un-chipped.

You got it. Going forward. Let’s write the first three off

Nikklos
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 8:21PM

"Haven't you ripped 1970 wax packs?? B)"
    Yes and last month I ripped a 1971 PSA Wax Pack
    but I do not want to talk about 1971

Im only passing on advice i dont follow

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to Grieve.

edited November 19, 2023 8:57PM

@nam812 said:

Agreed. Few things finer than a bright, bold and unchipped black and gold reverse of a 1973 Topps baseball card.

edited November 19, 2023 9:00PM

@Nikklos said:
    Tim - I have some miscut 1970 cards from the same box that actually fit together. I always thought there was some value in that

Sold for over $150 on ebay and not nearly pack fresh!

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Nikklos said:

Sold for over $150 on ebay and not nearly pack fresh!

that's kind of a Cool One...I like it... :)

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is fun. you should restart a 12 days of Christmas thread. I believe last year was the last in the series. It was always a yearly highlight thread for me.

while this is fun, it is also a tease.

the antici-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------pation is killing me!!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭

He has the name for it. Saint Nikklos

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does help that I feel this pack might take 2 years to open. Still feels 99% unopened in my mind.

• Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing this. How many cards are in the cello pack?

I think 33 but forget

Nikklos

I was out of the hobby or decades and got back in this year. I have seen about 15-20 rips of vintage material since I returned and I have yet to see anyone get a centered PSA 8/9 candidate hall of famer? I know the odds are against it but there's over 30 hall of famers for most years before 1981 so you would think a hall of famer that's in good shape would eventually show up. Has anyone purchased an unopened pack, cello, or rack pack in the last couple of years and actually scored a great card?

edited November 20, 2023 3:33PM

@Yankees70 said:
    I was out of the hobby or decades and got back in this year. I have seen about 15-20 rips of vintage material since I returned and I have yet to see anyone get a centered PSA 8/9 candidate hall of famer? I know the odds are against it but there's over 30 hall of famers for most years before 1981 so you would think a hall of famer that's in good shape would eventually show up. Has anyone purchased an unopened pack, cello, or rack pack in the last couple of years and actually scored a great card?

Yes, definitely. If I wasn’t traveling for Thanksgiving and away from my cards, I would have liked to post some examples.

Nikklos

That's good to hear. Hopefully you get one from this pack.

We've seen 3 cards so far so you > @Nikklos said:

I think 33 but forget

Nicely centered LaRoche!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

Nikklos
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 5:03PM

I hope you get lucky and pull a perfect Willie Mays, Carlton Fisk rookie, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver, Pete Rose or Nolan Ryan.

It does happen hope lady luck is on your side!!!

If I get a few more miscues, I’ll be a millionaire

Nikklos

Nikklos
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bingo!

mint_only_pls

Shame it’s so high on top but love Garvey cards. Don’t understand how he’s not in the Hall.

Nikklos

Ok back on track

Nikklos
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a beauty!

mint_only_pls

I always wondered how that image of Garvey made it through the vetting process and found its way onto an actual card.

@craig44 said:
    I always wondered how that image of Garvey made it through the vetting process and found its way onto an actual card.

Completely agree. I mean they couldn't come up with a better pic than that for a player's baseball card, especially a Steve Garvey?

Very sloppy.

I pulled the two cards that may have been affected by gum next. Good news - the gum didn’t cause much damage. The bad news - it doesn’t matter.

Nikklos

Have you got one card yet that would grade a PSA 8?

I guess the Nolan and LaRoche might but with the way PSA is grading vintage right now they might get a 7.

@Yankees70 said:

Ollie, LaRoche. Prob wouldn’t sub them tho.

I look back at the cards I have from the 1970s and almost everything is o/c. Trouble is, I was paying 35 cents a pack. Now I’m paying well you know. For the same pack.

Nikklos

Does the Ollie have a corner ding? (bottom left corner)

Are there more cards coming? If so how many? Thanks for showing us the cards - very appreciated.

@Yankees70 said:
    Does the Ollie have a corner ding? (bottom left corner)

Looks a bit soft in the pic. Wasn’t going to sub it anyway.

15 cards to go. Haven’t looked at them yet. The meat of the pack!

Nikklos

need more.

need more cards....

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:

@Yankees70 said:

Ollie, LaRoche. Prob wouldn’t sub them tho.

I look back at the cards I have from the 1970s and almost everything is o/c. Trouble is, I was paying 35 cents a pack. Now I’m paying well you know. For the same pack.

Man, I love the 70s and used to really love ripping those. There's nothing more heart breaking than the centering on cards Topps made in the 70s.

I love the 78 sets (FB & BB), but I don't think there's a year in history as poorly centered as that year. You finally get one that's decent on the front, turn it over and it's never good.

79s aren't a lot better either.

Nikklos
  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Completely agree. I mean they couldn't come up with a better pic than that for a player's baseball card, especially a Steve Garvey?

Very sloppy.

True, but remember, at that time, Garvey was a not-very-good platoon 3rd baseman. Ron Cey was to take over 3rd base full time and Buckner was going to be the full time 1st baseman as Parker retired. Buckner agreed to move to the outfield to allow Garvey to play 1st. The rest, as they say, is history, but what if Buckner had said 'No'?
    Garvey's '74 Topps card more than made up for the '73 card.

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Very sloppy.

True, but remember, at that time, Garvey was a not-very-good platoon 3rd baseman. Ron Cey was to take over 3rd base full time and Buckner was going to be the full time 1st baseman as Parker retired. Buckner agreed to move to the outfield to allow Garvey to play 1st. The rest, as they say, is history, but what if Buckner had said 'No'?
    Garvey's '74 Topps card more than made up for the '73 card.

Could be another reason as well and this is just a hunch. Garvey was always known as an arrogant cuss, and perhaps he hissed off the wrong person at Topps. And this was their way of getting back at Garvey.

There have been occasional disputes with Topps and some players over the many years.

Still sloppy though as these were cards for kids. So why punish the kids with a lousy pic on a baseball card? Bad business in my opinion.

The Alvarado is a great card. My buddy is currently putting together a legit 1973 Topps Baseball NM-MT centered set. He's buying the stars in PSA 8 and going raw with the commons. He's 67% done and its taking him a long time because of the ample centering and printing defects. Recently I went through another friends 1977 commons. He has about 4-5 thousand commons and most are off center or have priting defects.

@grote15 said:
    The photography for the 1973 Topps baseball set was uniquely unusual in many cases, not just for the Garvey card. I kind of like it, especially some of the horizontal action shots. The Alvarado card is one of my all time favorites.

I'm fine with "unusual" when it's done right. Topps in my view, overall has done a fun and entertaining job with their baseball cards over the years, not only with the pics, but on their little cartoons and other things.

For example the Mantle card #406 from 1961. You can barely see Mantle down there in the pic, but the illustration is what makes the card cool.

However with the Garvey card, we're talking about a sort of distant shot of the player, and almost half his face is blocked. Something is up with that.

Oh well, that's my final comment about this card. Back to the break. 😊

Hopefully the luck will improve. 🤞